Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1100966.jpg
P1100962.jpg
EBDflippers.jpg
Ballywirecolor.jpg
P1100961.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider troxel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Working on an 8BD with a few problems. Game would boot intermittently. Went through Clay's guide and upgraded the Solenoid board and replaced some headers and connectors. Game now boots but the the top left flipper is locking on immediately. What should I check for this?

The other problem is no sound. I don't want to leave the game on with the flipper engaged, so haven't dug too deep into the sound issue, but curious to hear what's the best way to troubleshoot this. Connectors or caps a bigger culprit or neither?

I appreciate any help and thanks!

#5 8 years ago

I cut both diodes and both tested good. Measured ohms on the coil and got 0.4 from the left lug (3 wires) to the middle and 3.6 from the middle to the right lug (one wire). Does this indicate the coil is bad? I had an extra solenoid boad, and switched that in and had same problem (flipper immediately sticks up).

Any other things to check for the flipper?

#7 8 years ago

Flipper locks on during power up. Looked at both switches on the lower flipper, and both look good.

P1100961.jpgP1100961.jpg

#9 8 years ago

I did not see any short and the wiring looks correct. Focusing on A3J1-8&9, A3J2-1&2, and the flipper enable on A3J3-5. Am I missing any other wires?

I unplugged all the connectors from the solenoid board, and the flipper still locks on. Does this narrow my search at all?

Appreciate all the help so far!

#12 8 years ago

Flippers engages while playfield is up or down. I am getting 8.4 ohms from the black/white wire to the ground braid. Here is some photos of the upper flipper.

P1100962.jpgP1100962.jpg

P1100966.jpgP1100966.jpg

#13 8 years ago

On a side note, I am replacing the 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x drop targets, and the drop target assembly is taken apart. Could this affect the flipper?

#15 8 years ago

dothedoo--you were exactly right! The black/white wire (and another wire) was underneath a screw and was shorted. The flipper is now working and moving to the no sound issue.

I recapped the S&T board and resoldered the header pins, and still no sound. Adjusting the pots all the way does occasionally make a humming noise, but can't get any sounds or speech. Calling it a night, but wondering what the next step is.

Thanks for all the help.

#17 8 years ago

Here's the video of the flashes. I checked the +5, -5, and +12. All were good and the + 12 was about 14. It looks like I am getting 3 flashes? Is this correct? If so, I replaced u11 socket and tried a different 6821 and still getting no sound.

#18 8 years ago

I was messing with the connector and got the sound to boot. Figured the connector was bad and replaced the header and connector, and still getting the no sound. Currently replacing sockets and cleaning chips and waiting for 2 pots to come in the mail.

Any advice one what the next step should be?

#20 8 years ago

Still getting three flashes. It booted once, but haven't been able to boot since. Speaker is good. That was one of the first things I checked. Anything other suggestions?

1 week later
#22 8 years ago

Still trying to figure this board out. I have replaced all the sockets, caps, headers and connectors, and the 2 pots. Tested the speaker and it was fine. Still getting 3 flashes. I have switched out the PIA and still getting 3 flashes.

I checked the PIA, CPU, and U12 with a probe and found no floating pins. The buffer tested good, too.

Wondering if I need to order u12 (AY-3-8912). Does this chip need programmed or not?

Any other thoughts?

#26 8 years ago

I switched out the PIA with one from the MPU. I switched in another just for good measure and still didn't work.

Thanks, dothedoo! Hopefully with another boardset, I can switch some parts around, or at least check some of the signals.

1 month later
#27 8 years ago

Forgot to update this post. Sounds is now working! Thanks to dothedoo for letting me borrow a spare board! I replaced u12 (AY-3-8912) and the sounds came back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bloomsburg, PA
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider troxel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-problems?tu=troxel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.