(Topic ID: 277720)

Eight Ball Deluxe Playfield Restoration - Input for a Newbie!

By EBD_Newbie

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by sulli10
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200918_215120982_iOS (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider poida.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from EBD_Newbie:

Hi all!
After 10 years of wishing, I finally took the plunge and purchased my first machine, a 1981 Eight Ball Deluxe. The machine is 98% functional and has had a partial mechanical restoration about 10 years ago along with a new stencil job which looks good at 3 feet. Overall the machine would grade a 7.5/10. The playfield is the main area that could use some attention. I wanted to reach out to you all to get a read on what you would recommend for a playfield restoration. Do you recommend purchasing an aftermarket playfield (if so from whom) or do you recommend using a playfield restoration service (if so from whom)?
I suspect my playfield is original just by looking at the condition of the machine relative to the playfield.
My goals would be as follows:
1) Not do something that would negatively impact the value of the machine
2) Restore the playfield in a way that makes the artwork 'pop.' Installing a new playfield clearly would do this if 1) is not an issue.
3) Ensure the play is true. My current playfield has issues in areas where the ball wont roll true due to mylar, damage, etc.
4) Not change the appearance...I want to stay true to the 1981 original look.
Thanks for your input!
Brian
[quoted image]

Depends what you want/like. That playfield looks in good nick and is a great one to restore. But if you went a new repro playfield it would "pop" definitely wouldn't lessen the value. Get the machine working as best you can. Things like non working lamps, bricking drop targets, dodgy rollovers, slow pops and slings all make way more of a difference to your enjoyment of a machine than the cosmetics.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 90.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider poida.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-playfield-restoration-input-for-a-newbie?tu=poida and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.