(Topic ID: 277720)

Eight Ball Deluxe Playfield Restoration - Input for a Newbie!

By EBD_Newbie

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by sulli10
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200918_215120982_iOS (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

Hi all!
After 10 years of wishing, I finally took the plunge and purchased my first machine, a 1981 Eight Ball Deluxe. The machine is 98% functional and has had a partial mechanical restoration about 10 years ago along with a new stencil job which looks good at 3 feet. Overall the machine would grade a 7.5/10. The playfield is the main area that could use some attention. I wanted to reach out to you all to get a read on what you would recommend for a playfield restoration. Do you recommend purchasing an aftermarket playfield (if so from whom) or do you recommend using a playfield restoration service (if so from whom)?

I suspect my playfield is original just by looking at the condition of the machine relative to the playfield.

My goals would be as follows:
1) Not do something that would negatively impact the value of the machine
2) Restore the playfield in a way that makes the artwork 'pop.' Installing a new playfield clearly would do this if 1) is not an issue.
3) Ensure the play is true. My current playfield has issues in areas where the ball wont roll true due to mylar, damage, etc.
4) Not change the appearance...I want to stay true to the 1981 original look.

Thanks for your input!
Brian

20200918_215120982_iOS (resized).jpeg20200918_215120982_iOS (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

I wrestle with this for sure. Not all games need to be shiny and restored. But I do enjoy that process. I would focus on getting it to play perfectly. Dial it in. Get everything to work the way it did when it left the factory.

I have an EBD and a new PF but it will be a while before I need to swap it. My game has mechanical issues that I’m sorting out and as a matter of hard lessons learned, you should swap a game that works...

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from EBD_Newbie:

Hi all!
After 10 years of wishing, I finally took the plunge and purchased my first machine, a 1981 Eight Ball Deluxe. The machine is 98% functional and has had a partial mechanical restoration about 10 years ago along with a new stencil job which looks good at 3 feet. Overall the machine would grade a 7.5/10. The playfield is the main area that could use some attention. I wanted to reach out to you all to get a read on what you would recommend for a playfield restoration. Do you recommend purchasing an aftermarket playfield (if so from whom) or do you recommend using a playfield restoration service (if so from whom)?
I suspect my playfield is original just by looking at the condition of the machine relative to the playfield.
2) Restore the playfield in a way that makes the artwork 'pop.' Installing a new playfield clearly would do this if 1) is not an issue.
3) Ensure the play is true. My current playfield has issues in areas where the ball wont roll true due to mylar, damage, etc.
Thanks for your input!
Brian
[quoted image]

I would just fix anything small and enjoy playing it at first. People often sink money and time into buying things for pins and then end up selling/trading the pin for a loss.

I would highly recommend playing it regularly for 6 months to a year before deciding. You may find you like playing it as-is, don't have interest in making the major improvements, or even like something else better and want to trade it.

If you do keep it, play it for awhile, and decide it is "bolted to the floor, " then I would recommend swapping the PF out if it means that much to you.

At the end of the day, only YOU can find the balance of time/money/upgrading that works for your situation.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from EBD_Newbie:

Hi all!
Thanks for your input!
Brian
[quoted image]

Depends what you want/like. That playfield looks in good nick and is a great one to restore. But if you went a new repro playfield it would "pop" definitely wouldn't lessen the value. Get the machine working as best you can. Things like non working lamps, bricking drop targets, dodgy rollovers, slow pops and slings all make way more of a difference to your enjoyment of a machine than the cosmetics.

#5 3 years ago

That playfield? Novus it down and start flippin! Save the money for something else.

4 months later
#6 3 years ago

OK, so I found a NOS 1981 EBD playfield which I did end up purchasing. I will likely hang onto this until I have the machine working 100% then look to swap the playfield out for that extra wow factor.

For a game with limited household use, is it recommended to apply protective film on the playfield, or leave it natural? My only analogy is car films, which I liked for years but later learned they can sometimes do as much damage as they are trying to protect.

If a film is suggested, is there a specific product that works well without damaging the original play surface underneath?

If no film is suggested, any experience on how much gameplay is required to start to see some wear?

Thanks!
Brian

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from EBD_Newbie:

OK, so I found a NOS 1981 EBD playfield which I did end up purchasing. I will likely hang onto this until I have the machine working 100% then look to swap the playfield out for that extra wow factor.
For a game with limited household use, is it recommended to apply protective film on the playfield, or leave it natural? My only analogy is car films, which I liked for years but later learned they can sometimes do as much damage as they are trying to protect.
If a film is suggested, is there a specific product that works well without damaging the original play surface underneath?
If no film is suggested, any experience on how much gameplay is required to start to see some wear?
Thanks!
Brian

Brian, the best way to protect an original NOS is going to be clear coating it. I’d reach out to kruzman to get it bulletproofed.

#8 3 years ago

I bought a Playfield protector for one I worked on this spring. I think delivered it was like 150 bucks. Actually pretty easy to put down on this title. Eliminates the little bumps on the play field and shines it up pretty good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 90.00
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 10.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-playfield-restoration-input-for-a-newbie?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.