IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1324 Explanation of paints used for screen printing Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1325 What happens when white is used as a base in paint Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1331 Double screening on playfields Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #2099 Note changing some GI and chase light sockets: bulbs may sit too high. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Post #2103 Correct bulb holder to fit bulbs. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trainh2o.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 9 years ago

Just found this club. I have two EBDs, both are project pins.

I will be digging into them soon, I hope. My plan is to pirate the best parts, to build one decent player's machine. A full restoration would be nice, but I want to get one up and running as soon as possible.

I'll try to post some pictures, soon.

#51 9 years ago

Anyone sanded an EBD playfield down, and used a full graphic overlay? I have a playfield that is beyond my abilities to retouch.

Did you have to do anything to the surface, after installing the overlay?
How does it play?
Were you happy with the results?

1 week later
#86 9 years ago
Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

I dont have any experience with overlays but, I've heard its like playing a game with full mylar. There's a lot of negative review from people that have used overlays but, I think most of them didn't prepare their pf properly and just stuck the overlay on top of their wrecked PF. I would think that if you started with a fully sanded, level and clean surface you'd be ok. If I find one I think I'm going to sand first, clear and then apply the overlay to the roughed up clear. I cant seem to find anyone selling them or making them anymore so if you find them let me know

Herb at fabfan.com says he has EBD overlays. He quoted me $250, shipping included.

I was unsure about the quality of the finished product.

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Got in touch with Herb and I'm going to give this a shot. We'll see if it turns out but, its going to be better than my planked flaked mess of a PF I have now

Are you going to do it yourself? If so, please document what you do with photos.

I am really interested in how it turns out.

#94 9 years ago

Anyone have a parts list or diagram for the pop bumpers and all the non-flipper coil plungers and sleeves?

I need to totally rebuild my pops and replace every coil plunger and sleeve.

#99 9 years ago

OK, since this is also a restorations thread, I'll hit you all up for my question.

Here is a close up of my playfield. It has these little cracks all over the playfield. The paint is about 95% there, but the wear areas are not from the cracking. In other words, the cracks in the paint are solid, and not coming off the playfield.

What can be done about this? I assume the cracks will always be there, so it there a way to seal everything as is? If so, should retouching be done before any sealing?

cracking.jpgcracking.jpg
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Magic eraser to clean the ball swirls and cracks, then retouch and clear. Good enough for a solid player.

Really, Magic Eraser? Never would have thought.

I suppose the trick is knowing when to stop.

#103 9 years ago

I gave the ME a shot last night with some 90% Isopropyl Alcohol. What came up was a lot yellow-looking crap. The cracking is very slightly improved, but I didn't want to scrub too hard.I kept checking the ME, and didn't see any paint.

What were these playfields coated with? What is the best product to seal it with?

Also, I need to remove the wooden side rails. I removed the screws from the underside, but it looks like they are also stapled in. Any trick to removing them with no damage? I was going to just gently wiggle them back and forth, until the staples pulled out of the wood, cut the staples off, paint the wood, and then reinstall using the same screws. I don't have a stapler that would shoot staples back in.

#107 9 years ago

Geez VID. I just checked out page 16 of your guide on restoring playfields.

You have me thinking twice about trying to clear coat my playfield, myself. The amount of personal saftey equipment along, looks daunting. I wonder if I can find a local autobody shop to do it, or if they will screw it up.

#118 9 years ago

Wow, I never realized the plastics in the back were clear. Also, what's up with all the white, as opposed to the yellow on mine, in front of the seven drop target bank.

I must have an early prototype game.

Seriously, nice-looking game, Bonzo442.

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

Thanks for the kind words. I only wish I could take credit for the restore on this game but I did put in some extra hours at work, I can tell ya that!

Is yours an original playfield, repro, or overlay? Mine has a lot more yellow in it, but it was not stored kindly.

I am stripping all the old clear coat off right now, but it is still more yellow than white in front of the 7-target bank.

playfield.jpgplayfield.jpg

#125 9 years ago

Thanks for the info Gatecrasher. Now I know that my original playfield isn't that yellowed, it's just original.

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

Take the off the mylar parts,and chemical reconditioning should bring it back nicely, from you pic it appears the crackling is just in the tough coat coat top finish.

Thanks for the response.

I have taken everything off except the mylar rings around the pop bumpers, and removed the pops, themselves. I have scrubbed a good bit of the old clear off using the alcohol and Magic Erasers. It looks a little better, but there is still some of it left to work on.

I can't decide if I want to try and retouch it. I'm not much of an artist with paints. I'll have to upload a photo or two of the area between the slings, and if front of the 7-target bank.

1 year later
#365 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

That's because they should be upgraded to the 44/47 style... Seriously!

I hate those 555 sockets. When I finally restore my EBD, I and going to replace them with 44/47 sockets. they are a much better connection, in my experience.

#367 8 years ago

Those are not the ones used on EBD. They insert into the lighting board of later games.

Unless Steve Young at Pinball Resource has the exact 555 sockets, these are more in line with what was used on the playfield.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/077-5030-00
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/077-5026-01

#372 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I appreciate the post. So why do some complain about the old 555 sockets?
-mof

I had to replace a few and the ones I bought were really cheaply made. One or two simply broke, but it may have been that the ones I bought, weren't the best quality. This is especially true with the 555 jet bumper sockets, and I bought them from a well-known supplier.

Using 555 LEDs, I think the lamps themselves are more fragile and likely to get the leads bent if you are not really careful.

9 months later
#785 7 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

Screening done.
Here's a before and after pic

That's a pretty amazing restore. What method did you use?

Mine isn't quite as bad as yours, but there's some wear around the balls, both sets, and in the blue area. I need this done to mine since the EBD reproduction playfields have once again filled up, without me knowing about it.

#790 7 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

Thanks for the comments, more details from this restoration at this local forum from my region:
http://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=19691

Thanks for the link. Truly amazing work, especially since you hand-painted your retouching.

The fact that you could go in and repaint all the yellowed white areas, is especially impressive.

Here's a shot of mine, but I have no retouching skills.

IMG_1281_(resized).JPGIMG_1281_(resized).JPG

#799 7 years ago

I'm assuming the original EBD and EBD LE playfields are identical and interchangeable.

Is this correct? Thanks.

#816 7 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I always thought they were all the same playfield.

Looking at photos, they all look the same but I have never seen a LE in person.

10 months later
#1354 6 years ago

Has anyone received a Bronze playfield from CPR?

If so, how does it look? Please post photos.

#1356 6 years ago
Quoted from Evets:

Still waiting for my gold version, ordered two days before the silvers were made available (I was on the waiting list). I imagine it will be a few more days before the bronze PFs start showing up.

I too was on the waiting list but there were no golds or silvers available. I really want to see a detailed example of the bronze before I buy. I'm thinking the blemishes might too distracting for me personally, at the bronze level.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trainh2o.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well?tu=trainh2o and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.