IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1324 Explanation of paints used for screen printing Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1325 What happens when white is used as a base in paint Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1331 Double screening on playfields Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #2099 Note changing some GI and chase light sockets: bulbs may sit too high. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Post #2103 Correct bulb holder to fit bulbs. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tonyp66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4221 2 years ago

Hello to this awesome community! I am lucky enough to finally be able to get my first pin and one of my favorites an '81 EBD. I purchased it and had it restored and could not be happier. I have been lurking here and am blown away by the talent all of you have in restoring and although I am not that mechanically inclined am glad to see some folks say that 2 years ago they could only change a bulb!

The person who restored my machine did not reply mess with the coin box assembly and I noticed a couple lights were out. I took a look and one of the leads to the bulb assembly had broken a solder joint. Now that I can reflow haha. But looking at it I think the socket has seen much better days and may just be bad as well. Would someone be kind enough to tell me the best place to order a new one?

Here are some pics and again, so happy to be here!

IMG_0271 (resized).jpgIMG_0271 (resized).jpgIMG_0272 (resized).jpgIMG_0272 (resized).jpgIMG_0273 (resized).jpgIMG_0273 (resized).jpgIMG_0274 (resized).jpgIMG_0274 (resized).jpgIMG_0275 (resized).jpgIMG_0275 (resized).jpg
#4226 2 years ago

Thanks everyone, I will adjust my location for sure and check those sites. My guess is all three coin slot lights should be lit but only the left one is functional so it looks like a good opportunity to try to fix something! For the record northern IL.

None of the ones look like what I have but I would think that would not matter too much as long as the bracket lined up and there was no shorting as mentioned....

IMG_0277 (resized).jpgIMG_0277 (resized).jpg
#4233 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I don't see the wire for that socket, is it there? These wedge base type sockets are no longer available and that's a good thing since it was a terrible design. There are no springs as in bayonet, the only tension to the bulb contacts are tiny clips that corrode and weaken over time. You could probably still use that socket if you clean the contacts and give them a little squeeze with needle nose pliers but it would be a temporary fix. I'm guessing whoever restored the game kept all of the original sockets under playfield?

There are two wires, one with the plastic sheathing and another that was barely connected to the solder on the second pin. From my automotive days I am guessing any 2 lead bulb socket would work. I am definitely going to try to clean it up first to see if I can get it working. He may have used the old sockets but the rest of the lights are good. My guess is that over time I will be replacing a few things here and there so I appreciate this community and intend to become a paid member to show that appreciation.

If I cannot get it working with a resolder and cleanup I will try to get a two lead socket from Marco or another vendor. Then I want to test the coin mechs themselves as although it is freeplay I would like to have the option.

3 weeks later
#4238 2 years ago

Does anyone know if it is normal behavior to not award an extra ball when earning one on the left lane progression on free play? I finally earned one but it did not register and I am unsure if it is a jumper setting or how to get it to work.

#4240 2 years ago

Thank you so much Mathazar

#4251 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for helping me out on my coin box lights and figuring out how to set rewards to get my extra ball! It is the little things in life haha!!!

IMG_0302 (resized).jpgIMG_0302 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#4268 2 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

TonyP66 I saw on an earlier picture you have that CPR topper that comes with the plastics. Did you attach it somehow? I’m afraid it will fall off so I don’t keep it on there but it looks nice.[quoted image]

I do just leave it there and it seems to stay fine with the exception of when my ball gets stuck on the drop targets. I do not have the adjustable ones so there is a lot of shaking going on to get her loose haha. Also I looked at your machines and we must be kindred spirits as I love Mata Hari and one might be in my future.

5 months later
#4470 2 years ago

Being that EBD is my first pin I have been reading about general pin maintenance etc. I have read about playfield protectors and am assuming these are for the edges of the playfield around objects. Is that correct? Do any of you use them on your EBD? Is it overkill on a home machine? Any input appreciated as I love my EBD!

#4473 2 years ago

I always appreciate this community!

5 months later
#4844 1 year ago

Any ideas on an intermittent kickout hole behind the 8ball? Sometimes it kicks out and sometimes it is just DOA.

#4846 1 year ago

It does so I will check! Thanks, total noob here

5 months later
#5079 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

I do know at some point for a laugh I put some 2x4's under the back legs just to see how ridiculously fast it was. That was funny.

I have done the same to stop from balls getting stuck as much on the right hand drop targets. Without the extra height it is just a magnet for getting stuck and a subsequent tilt.

#5081 1 year ago

Right hand bank of billiard numbers. Targets are too low and the ball often finds its way into a groove there.

#5083 1 year ago

If you can take a pic next time you are under there I would appreciate it!

#5086 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Some EBDs have an adjustable bottom plate too, where you can loosen the screws and move it up/down for target height adjustment.

I heard that, unfortunately on my '81 it does not.

#5087 1 year ago

I would love to know how you made that fix as I would love to solve this...

#5090 1 year ago

BFaster slochar I really appreciate the effort here! I will try that for sure. The fix shown where the gap was filled is very interesting also, I am curious if it is one single piece or individual and how that was mounted.....

1 week later
#5103 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I think only the '84 version has the adjustable plate for the horseshoe drops.

I ended up finding a roll of magnetic tape in the drawer and after installing it played a dozen or so games with no issue. I think this is going to work great and looks to be a height that will help. Thank you all so much, love this place. On a side note I have it next to a high speed and I still think I need to raise it up. I have a couple of 3x3 square trim pieces that I am going to try to give it an extra inch or so. EBD is a great machine.

6 months later
#5310 8 months ago

Branching out a bit beyond my experience but looking for some guidance. Right flipper stays up often unless you trigger the left one. Turned the power off and apparently it is mechanical as it stays up. The machine is a recent rebuild and I took a couple photos of what the assembly looks like normal and stuck open. Hoping that it is maybe an adjustment? It does look pretty new in there. Without being too much of a bother, does anything look out of alignment or odd to any of you?

normal (resized).jpgnormal (resized).jpgright stuck (resized).jpgright stuck (resized).jpg
#5312 8 months ago

Thank you! Assuming those are above the nylon collar below the spring?

#5314 8 months ago

Ugh they are really freakin tight, might need to get something for leverage.

#5316 8 months ago

Well I got them loosened and I will check the flipper as you suggested. What am I looking for when moving it?

#5318 8 months ago

Thank you so much!!! It worked like a charm and I only bled a couple times loosening those set screws haha. I may try to adjust the flippers further because I learned it was s an art aligning them when setting the screw. But they are not too bad. I cannot thank you enough!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#5320 8 months ago

Well I may have spoke too soon, looks like I lost some power and it is a bit floaty. May I ask a thought in that?

#5321 8 months ago

Figured it out, not tight enough hahaha. Thanks again!!!

4 months later
#5498 3 months ago

I have a strange problem with my 81 EBD. Occasionally my outhole does not kickout. After reading a few posts here recently about the outhole coil being a 3 lead I was curious and I just lifted my playfield to find it is a 3 lead but one lead is not being used. Could this be the source of the strangeness? Any idea if they just took one of the wires and put it to one of the other leads? I feel I am getting somewhere with this frustrating problem. I am not sure I need to replace the coil but did find the right on on Marco thanks to this forum.

Edit**. As I look at the pics now it does not seem to be the AT-26-1200 coil referenced here...

IMG_2043 (resized).jpgIMG_2043 (resized).jpgIMG_2044 (resized).jpgIMG_2044 (resized).jpgIMG_2045 (resized).jpgIMG_2045 (resized).jpg

#5501 3 months ago

Thanks for the clarification on the 'saucer'hole haha. I raised the playfield and cleaned the contacts with a dollar bill. The switch did look to be adjusted well. I played a few games and the saucer was ejecting just fine. I got to the scenario that is consistent, I make balls 1-7, I hit the 8 ball, I hit the saucer, nothing.

I pulled the glass and popped the ball out. I pressed the white saucer nub and sure enough it kicks. Could it be that that nub is misaligned? It just seems really strange that I can hit that saucer 10 times and have it kick out only to have it fail after hitting 1-8 first.

#5503 3 months ago

Do you have the part number for that stern switch?

#5505 3 months ago

That makes a heck of a lot of sense to me! Thank you and it may just be better for me to have the leaf switch replaced.

#5506 3 months ago

Does this seem like the correct switch? I looked through my manual but there is no part number for it. https://www.pinballlife.com/bally-secondary-end-of-stroke-switch-normally-open.html

#5508 3 months ago

Thanks, I found the part to be ASW-A1-187 from planetary's Bally parts guide but apparently it is discontinued and this williams part was suggested, any thoughts or am I dumpster diving for a used switch somewhere?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=SW-1A-130+

according to action pinball there is a version with a diode for Bally ss machines:
https://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=SW-1A-130

2 months later
#5606 43 days ago

I solved this on my '81 by adding a strip of magnetic tape to the plate underneath the targets and it never happens anymore.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tonyp66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well?tu=tonyp66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.