IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1324 Explanation of paints used for screen printing Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1325 What happens when white is used as a base in paint Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1331 Double screening on playfields Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #2099 Note changing some GI and chase light sockets: bulbs may sit too high. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Post #2103 Correct bulb holder to fit bulbs. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tominator.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#661 7 years ago

Hi new member here... I spent months searching for an EBDlx and could not find one, so I bought myself a 6M$M as a first pin to start my collection. Shortly after buying the bionic Man, I found an Eight Ball Deluxe for sale, and I just had to own it!
Its in pretty good shape on the playfield, and has been upgraded to LED bulbs and has the Altec upgrade...
I think it is a 1984 edition, but the cabinet has decals....these were installed poorly so there is some wrinkling around the legs etc...backglass is maybe 8/10.
Perhaps someday I could re-do the cab properly, but I will need to practice on a few other titles first as I am new to the hobby and have zero experience.
I have a question about my game for the experts on here...
Sometimes when I make the eight ball shot, the game gives me several of the letters for "Deluxe" even though I did not hit them. It only happens rarely, but once in a while it will go right to "One more for Deluxe" right after making the eight...I wonder if this is an indication of a problem that is starting...Is it something I can prevent from worsening?
Thanks in advance
Oh and here is a quick pick...I can't keep my 13 year old off of this game! He has been bitten hard! lol

photo_(27)_(resized).JPGphoto_(27)_(resized).JPG

#663 7 years ago

Thank you nveld! I will do that.

#668 7 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Yeah it's definitely the original 1981 version.
It looks like he has the Six Million Dollar Man set up higher than the EBD though. They should both be the same.

think I read somewhere that in 1984 they changed the bulb set up to a board (lamp board?) or something...anyways, my game has that feature...The cab does look like the 1981 with the cream colour...but the seller gave me some Altek info and said it was an upgrade...can anyone enlighten me on this?
With the stickers on the cabinet it has the "mean cowboy" with no wedding band...I like this better but not a fan of the decal artwork.
I have to fix the tilt plumb bob thing as well, because I am able to save the ball from side drain without tilting frequently...kinda cheating really...but man ebd is a great game!
I have ordered a set of new rubbers for it, and I am researching how best to clean the playfield. I am a total noob at this stuff and I am glad I found this forum!
I think I will have to fix the pop bumpers at some point, as they are nowhere near as strong as my 6M$M bumpers...I need to find a good trustworthy pinball repair tech in my area. I plan on getting another machine or 2 someday, so a good tech will be important.

Also, I do plan on lowering the legs on the 6M$M, but the levelers are in rough shape...looking to find new legs for it.

photo_(24)_(resized).JPGphoto_(24)_(resized).JPG

6 months later
#1002 7 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

EBD is my specialty pin having restored a ton of them and I have seen numerous metal lane guides ruined from the owner placing them where the plastic guide piece is supposed to go. The metal guides not only scratch the ball which accelerates playfield wear, the guide itself is also ruined. After a while the metal guide will develop a burr on the leading edge. I've seen some worn so bad they are no longer functional.
Not to mention the illumination looks like shit with the metal guides blocking the light when placed in the wrong location.
The correct set-up is to have the metal guide on top with the replaceable plastic guide below. The metal guides are simply "garnishes" and are cosmetic. They are not supposed to touch the ball.

Interesting...I think mine is upside down too then. will check when I get home. I just hope if I go to switch them around it doesn't screw anything else up...with my luck something will be stripped, or will crack, or fall inside, or blow up...etcetc...

1 month later
#1072 7 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

They used to show them in the gallery but they don't seem to be there anymore.
Here are some pictures I copied from the CPR website back when they had them in their gallery. They still have the protective coating on them in the pic.

I would also like one of these toppers...are they still available?
Also, did anybody notice the mistake? it's QUIT talking and start chalking...not STOP talking...

#1077 7 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Yeah you're right. It's like those repop score cards that say "Eightball Deluxe" instead of the correct "Eight Ball Deluxe".
I think I have like 3 of the toppers brand-new with the protective coating still on the pieces.

sell me one! please??

1 month later
#1143 7 years ago

Hey Manples,
Change batteries immediately and mar k the date next to them...
The background sound can be adjusted. There are 2 pots on the sound board; one for for speech, one for background sounds. Use a small tweaker screw driver to play around till its right. The over all volume control should be on the coin door.
Welcome to the club!

#1144 7 years ago

Oh and that "siren sound" happens when winning a free game. In the video you posted, the guy wins a game 30 seconds into his first ball, so his credit thresholds are all wrong. Check the manual and follow the instructions on how to set up the game's preferences to your liking. If you don't have the book you can find it online.

#1154 7 years ago

toby your EBDlx is really nice! Unique and beautiful! Well done.

1 month later
#1220 6 years ago

Gatecrasher, that is very cool of you! Another working EBD makes this world a better place. Kudos to you.

#1234 6 years ago
Quoted from Patentlaw:

To all,
Background sound is fading in and out. Squawk and Talk board was refurbed recently. Voice sounds are ok, no fading on that. Anybody else have this issue? Also, any way to increase or decrease the sound of the background noises vs. the voice?
Plaw

There should be two pots on the sq&T board...get a small screwdriver and tweak the knobs till you get the mix you want...

4 weeks later
#1288 6 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

See if you can loosen the screws holding the plastic piece in place and force the clear plastic closer to the saucer hole thus reducing the restriction (making the ball path more narrow) and then re-tighten the screws. See if that helps. Usually you can adjust it to the point that the restriction is so narrow that the ball won't even pass through it. If you go too far tweak it a little until you get the gap just right.
If not, you probably need to buy a new plastics set or at least the one piece.

Then, if you want to cheat, you can bend the little gate so it has trouble with the kick out, and you collect your bonus over and over!

1 week later
#1343 6 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

The plastic sets that are still available are nice but the CPR ones were nicer plus they had the cool topper and an extra set of slingshot plastics and a couple key fobs too.

This.
I really want one of the toppers!

7 months later
#1595 6 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Picked up an EBD '81 version that has all red ringed posts instead of blue. Doesn't look like they were added in recent years. Anyone ever see this game with red posts?

Post a pic! I want to see it...

#1599 6 years ago

Better get some plastic lane guides on there! (Where the ball feeds to the flippers)... and some new in line targets too...
The red doesn't look too bad! I thought it would be worse...

3 weeks later
#1683 6 years ago
Quoted from BorisSWort:

I need new right and left slingshot switches, and I can't find the part number anywhere. Does anyone know the part number and where I can get them?
Also, I am a hard time re-using the metal posts for my new plastics. I assume no one makes replacement posts? If not, would grinding off the top that sticks in the plastic hole and then super gluing the post to the plastic work?

search up gatecrashers post on restoring ebd. He has pics of how to melt the posts into new plastics...can't find it now but he will probably chime in. He is the resident expert on EBD.
Do NOT grind those posts!

3 weeks later
#1742 6 years ago
Quoted from solderboy:

Short answer: Problem fixed!
Somehow there was a short in the 4,12 drop target switch stack. I concluded that some connection was happening through the very thin spacer in the stack, so I replaced it with another from an old switch, and it's fixed. It's after midnight and I just played my EBD LE for the first time in over a year!

That's awesome! It is such a great feeling when you fix or figure out a problem yourself. Nice job, and enjoy the greatest game ever made!

11 months later
#1982 5 years ago
Quoted from cngizbleevng:

Ughhh. I just got done switching over the playfield lighting (and under the playfield) to LEDs, and some of them are flickering, even though they're supposed to be non-ghosting.
Also, the right target bank is not popping up at all. I don't think I bumped anything but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

check the fuses under the playfield for your target re-set issue

4 weeks later
#2029 5 years ago
Quoted from cngizbleevng:

My multipliers are also odd. Hit the 2x target and it momentarily lights the 4x lamp before changing back to the 2x lamp. It scores as 4x though. I tried tracing the wires back to the board, but I've got replacement boards and I don't think the original schematics match what I've got.

when my multiplier targets went wonky it ended up being a short on the coin door of all things! Check out the coin door and coin shutes

#2048 5 years ago

I can confirm there is no "call out" when hitting the multiplier targets; it does make a cool "muuunnh" sound though.

2 months later
#2209 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Congrats on joining the club! After 40+ years of playing and owning several machines, including NIB Sterns, EBD is still my favorite.

DITTO!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bloomsburg, PA
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tominator.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well?tu=tominator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.