IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error2.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1324 Explanation of paints used for screen printing Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1325 What happens when white is used as a base in paint Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1331 Double screening on playfields Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #2099 Note changing some GI and chase light sockets: bulbs may sit too high. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Post #2103 Correct bulb holder to fit bulbs. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#426 8 years ago

I am almost done swapping the PF on mine. Pics to follow. I finally have a nice EBD with ALL original parts. Took me years to track one down. They are getting harder to find for sure. I'm mad that I didn't buy one 10 years ago for cheap! A true 80's pinball masterpiece.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#440 8 years ago

Doesn't look like it needs much of any "shopping" to me. Looks clean.

I will gladly fix the pops for free if you need help the next time I am driving to Danville to visit my in-laws.

#454 8 years ago

Solid State pinball machine standard is 3 ball. EM standard is 5 ball.

Just curious, why do you want to put it on 5 ball?

#462 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Not necessarily true. Most pinball machines that I used to play in 1981 were still set to 5 balls including Eight Ball Deluxe.

It was a transitional time in pinball history. The solid state standard now is exactly what I stated and has been since at least System 9 machines. I don't see it changing.

Standard solid state setting is 3 ball, EM is 5 ball. They were set like this when they left the factory and OPs and players have adapted over time.

If you want to put it on 5 ball for whatever reason, go ahead... Just don't expect to play any 5 ball solid state games in a competitive setting or at a bar.

#464 8 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

My friend and I would play 8 ball deluxe for hours on end, it was always a hoot to get all the drops down and get 50,000 per pop at the standup behind it, and back handing this shot made it that much more sweet.
With that said, it's a great game, perfect for home play. It's an absolute horror in a tournament, because there really is no taming an 8 ball deluxe. You can get 3 house balls on this type of game, you just hope it's not in a tournament setting when it does happen.

heh, Steven R. says to just "play better--rrrr"

#467 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

In PA 99% of all the early SS pins were set to 5-balls. Back then there was at least one big arcade at every mall (sometimes two big ones). Every bowling alley also had a generous selection of pins. We used to drive out of our way just to play EBD and all of them were set to 5-balls.
I don't think I played a 3-ball game of EBD until around 1985-86 (and that was at a college student union). But I had seen a few at other places and just passed them by. All of the SS pins are better set to 5 balls.
There was no "default" ball setting for SS pins. It's like anything else that is designed to make a profit. The operators were either cheapskates and had them set to 3-balls or they were cool and had them set to 5-balls.
I think EBD is a far-better player at 5 balls than at 3 balls although 3-balls are better than none.

You're trying to say you played 99% of pins in PA back in the day? That's a load of crap.

There was a default. It was set to 3 balls from the factory. Default settings are also indicated in the manuals for all pin manufacturers. Please stop talking out yet arse.

2 years later
#1628 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

WTF. What are you doing??? Brown and Orange wire should be soldered on the CENTER LUG.
PERIOD!!!!!!

Don't over react. That is actually a flipper coil that Bally used in place of a single wound coil. Bally was notorious for doing this with games from 1981-1984. I think they had an overstock of flipper coils and just used those up when Bally game sales slid into the abyys.

It does not matter if you use the center lug or the outside lug, as long as the diode(s) are in the correct direction. Now, the coil may have different kick to it on the center lug vs. the outside lug but that is the only difference you will notice. I've hooked them up both ways on games that have these style coils and it does not seem to make a difference.

As a side note to never forget in pinball: the wire supplying the POWER to the coil always connects to the white banded side of the diode. It may also have two wires if it then distributes power to another coil. The coil lugs themselves are not really important, the band of the diode in relation to the PWR vs. GNDing wires are what is important. Also, don't get confused when I type GNDing. It's not ground in relation to the coil getting power, it's ground in relation to GNDing the coil for a split second when it fires.

#1630 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

snyper2099, What are you talking about?
THIS three lug coil is not a Flipper Coil, it is a special coil where they used the three lug bobbin so they connect a single coil with a diode across it, and then place another diode in series with the coil so it could be used in a mini coil matrix (Solenoid Expander Relay) as pictured in the snips I posted above.

That's strange. If you look up the part number, it's the same coil Bally used on most of their linear flipper assemblies.

I also only speak from experience. If you hook up the GND wire to either lug, it works just fine with the SOL expander relay.

#1632 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Okay, I could be wrong. I will have to see what is installed in my EBD. I just have not seen them use that diode arrangement other than on this type of coil.

It makes sense if the diode is the only difference. They could have used the same bobbin+wire types and just moved one leg of one of the diodes. It's also possible that the paper wrappers are wrong. It happened all the time.

I also suspect many "resourceful" ops back in the day just used whatever they had in their part pile, moving diodes around to use these on flipper assemblies and vice versa.

4 months later
#1854 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Thank you, Shawn. That helps very much....so much so that it confirms that I think I'm still missing some pieces besides the plastic. I appear to have only that top part of the post/standoff from the screw head down to the top of the plastic piece. I need to find, somehow, the post/standoff from the underside of the plastic to the playfield. So far I've come up short with Marco's, and my EBD OPS manual doesn't call out the post/standoff pieces with part numbers. I'll search some more today.....thanx again.

You are not going to find it because the "topcoat" post you are looking for is part of the plastic!

1 month later
#1869 5 years ago

It's essentially the same game. Are all the different versions of Stern's Harley Davidson listed seperately?

#1874 5 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I have a 1981 EBD tech issue.
On startup, My nicely restored EBD comes to life. Upon pushing start, it fails to kick out a ball, the inserts don’t light and 3 ball drop target drops. Otherwise, all flippers and other coils work.
Attempting to fix the game, I moved it to the workroom and plugged it in. All issues resolved. I moved it back to where the other games are and it has resumed with the same problems after playing several games.
Does anyone know this game well enough to point me in the direction of a common link in the symptoms?
I confess that I’m not much good at electronics, but can do basic continuity checks etc and solder.
Thank you in advance
Chris

Connectivity issues with the switch matrix plugs on the MPU. (upper left board in the head)

Check for corrosion and/or wiggle/ reseat plugs and test again. It will continue to plague you unless you find the exact plug/pins causing the issue(s).

Furthermore, this is more of a general Bally/general pinball problem more than it's specifically an EBD problem.

1 week later
#1878 5 years ago

Same with Harley. No difference.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well?tu=snyper2099 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.