IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1324 Explanation of paints used for screen printing Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1325 What happens when white is used as a base in paint Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1331 Double screening on playfields Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #2099 Note changing some GI and chase light sockets: bulbs may sit too high. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Post #2103 Correct bulb holder to fit bulbs. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lovef2k.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

533 posts in this topic match your search for posts by lovef2k. You are on page 1 of 3.
#17 10 years ago

I remember beating on EBD in the arcade in 1982ish. I was in my mid teens and we loved this game back then. We almost got thrown out of the arcade because we had too much fun if you know what I mean. I remember that game vividly. It had the cream colored back box trim as opposed to the black. I'm not sure if any came black from the factory but I have restored 2 of these and I go with the beige trim, just preference I guess. I currently still have the second one I restored. I have enough parts to restore another, NOS pf cleared by Ron K and an NOS bg. I have all the mechanical parts, I just need a decent game that has a solid cab and wiring. I also picked up a rare, if not the only, white bumper cap and ring with red art instead of black. The guy worked at Bally when these games were being built. He made a small collection of bumper caps from the games he helped work on. He would sneak one home after his shift. DSC02001.JPGDSC02001.JPG

http://southjerseypinball.com/gallery/v/lovef2k/Bally+Eight+Ball+Deluxe/

3 years later
#1245 6 years ago
Quoted from Patentlaw:

To all,
Background sound is fading in and out. Squawk and Talk board was refurbed recently. Voice sounds are ok, no fading on that. Anybody else have this issue? Also, any way to increase or decrease the sound of the background noises vs. the voice?
Plaw

I see you this issue fixed for now. Those pots should have been replaced when the board was refurbed? The original pots have an open design that lets in dirt and oxidation. and will most likely give you more trouble in the futer. The newer style has a sealed enclosure and are very cheap and easy to replace. Check GPE for them.

#1248 6 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Yup. Just snip it off, remove your U-8 chip and plug in the NVRAM. If your boards chip socket looks a little iffy and you have the equipment it is not a bad idea to replace the socket. If it looks okay, don't worry about it. And everybody here was new at some point.
Shawn

I see this board has no U7 6810 chip. What am I missing here?

2 weeks later
#1280 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

As far as the Eight Ball Deluxe playfield goes, I hope this time they use the right color
scheme; cream instead of white.

I hate to disappoint but I think they will be white again. I talked to Kevin about this before this last run went to screening. His opinion seems clear that the original color was white. This has been debated on other threads, but white or cream, I'm just happy that a repro will be available soon.

2 weeks later
#1352 6 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

semi dumb question for the group- i'm about to start a playfield swap and would like to replace all the star posts - What size posts are they supposed to be ? 1 1/16 or 1 3/16ths? I don't trust my game has the original posts in it to measure from.

EBD used 2 sizes. The short ones go under the upper plastics where no screws or studs go through the top of the plastics. I can't recall how many but I will check and report back.

3 weeks later
#1371 6 years ago

EBD PF's in da house! Call me insane but I plan to do 4 EBD restos. 2 of these are CPR golds and the other 2 are rescreened originals. The first of the 4 restos is about 2/3 finished and sold. I will start the other 2 simultaneously beginning with the main cab rehabs. They will be for sale at some point when finished. These will all be the '81 version. The 4th game, hopefully a keeper, will get new cab, back box and coin door wiring harnesses from Third Coast Pinball.

P7110319 (resized).JPGP7110319 (resized).JPG

#1373 6 years ago
Quoted from jznethan:

Trying to figure out why mine occasionally asks me to "get the 15 ball" even in one player mode. Thoughts?
Also, anyone know a good place for bulb sockets? Specifically the ones for the orange hats and then a few under inserts etc. I'd like a variety as most of mine barely work and some are dead.
I wouldn't know which part number at Marco.
Thanks!

PM sent

1 week later
#1383 6 years ago
Quoted from AgentX:

Kudos for an amazing (and amazingly LONG) thread on one of my favorites.
Unfortunately, the previous owner of my own '84 EBD monkeyed around with the Outhole Kicker solenoid and even tried replacing it (with the wrong coil!), so I could really use two things from another owner out there:
#1. A clear picture of the wire connections to the solenoid tabs for that 26-1200
#2. A measure of VDC that should be coming into that coil, so I'm sure I'm getting expected power!
Thanks in advance,
Quit talkin and start CHALKIN!!!
-Kasey

The coil circuit is 43V. The coil should be AT-26-1200. It's a 3 lug coil because it's one of the coils controlled by the solenoid expander board. I don't have the 84 version, only 81 so the wire colors might be different. On mine, the 2 brown wires go to the center lug and the 2 black go to the lug with the banded side of the diode. The 3 lug coil has 2 diodes in series.

#1385 6 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Any fellow EBD owners know where/how to get new roms for free play? Whould love to hear from someone who has done it and what was all involved.
Thanks
Ryan

None that know of. The Alltek has a free play option built in for all Bally games.

#1390 6 years ago
Quoted from AgentX:

Thanks. That's exactly the same solenoid and wire setup as I have in the '84 version. I think I got a 30V reading when I tested the other night, but I'll check again tonight.
Also, who has some valuable input on that odd little Coin Lockout coil on the coin door. I know nearly everyone says to REMOVE it. If I go that route, what needs to happen to the two small wires connected to it? Can they just be capped off since they seem to be at the END of the circuit?
Kasey

Check the voltage at the rectifier board. It should be close to 43V. If not then something is wrong with the board. If it is and you're only getting 30V at the outhole coil, you may have a connector issue or losing voltage across the SEB. Also check coil voltage at other coils, flippers too.

For coin lockout coil, just desolder one wire and cap it with a small wire nut. No need to remove both wires. Don't cut it as you will shorten the wire and ruin the wire harness.

#1395 6 years ago
Quoted from AgentX:

I've already cut the 2 wires to the coil and removed it from the door. I'm not sure, though, that I understand your concern...? Nothing was made "shorter" by snipping those connections.

If you cut them flush with the coil lugs, that's fine. It's just that I have seen so many cut way above the coil and then leaving the wires short.

#1397 6 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Perhaps I'm setting myself up for some kind of magic trick by asking this, but how did you cut 2 wires without making them shorter?

With flush cutting snips, I have done it. One might lose an 1/8 of an inch if you have to strip the wire and re-solder.

1 week later
#1407 6 years ago

For those who are swapping a CPR EBD pf, this pf is about 1/16" thicker than original. This may present a problem with the screws reaching the threads of the tee nuts. I have seen 2 different tee nuts used on early bally games. One has a 1/4 in. barrel and the other a 9/32 barrel. I know the difference is only 1/32 but it make a difference if using the original screws for the posts. The 9/32 tee nut is hard to find but I found them at a decent price from fastenermart.com . There are 2 different machine screw lengths used on EBD so be careful when doing swap. The difference is small so you have to look at them closely. Another option is to countersink the area where the tee nut will be installed but that's a lot of extra work.

Fastenermart also has the fender washers used inside the cabinet for the coin door bolts (1/8x5/8) and the washer for the power supply mounting plate (3/8x1 1/4x 1/8)

#1408 6 years ago

I had new trim made for the pf. I wanted a wood look instead of the black. Trying to bring out the wood from the pf outlanes. I had the special cuts done at a local woodworker shop. $50 total for the wood and labor, not bad. Stain color is Minwax bombay mahogany.

P8030006 (resized).JPGP8030006 (resized).JPG

P8030008 (resized).JPGP8030008 (resized).JPG

P8030009 (resized).JPGP8030009 (resized).JPG

#1414 6 years ago

It does blend well with the brown by the outlanes. Yes it is solid oak. I have seen this look on other games but it's usually a veneer instead. I will take a few pics when the wood is dry, I can just sit them on the pf. And yes, I can switch them back to black if necessary. I have 3 coats of stain on them now and the color is much deeper.

I was comparing my plastics set with some of the dimples on the top side of the pf. Some didn't match up. There are a few sources of repro plastics so yours can vary. Don't predrill any holes before installing the plastics. I typically place the plastics on the studs that have the machine screw thread. You can't change this position and then you can predrill the holes once you are certain the plastic is in place. This mainly pertains to the 2 large uppers, the one that covers the multiplier drops and the 8 ball drop. Actually don't predrill any holes before you are certain where each part goes. VAriations in pf's from one mfr. to another can cause holes to not match up. This is due to the fact that the donor pf used on the repro could be different and/or not transfered correctly.

#1416 6 years ago
Quoted from Humph:

Thanks for the info Lovef2k.
I bought my plastic set from Bay Area Amusements so I will see how things line up with my CPR pf.
Looks like I will be making a few adjustments before committing to drilling holes, etc.
Thatsa pinball !!

Glad to help. I swapped 6 CPR pf's and you need to pay attention to detail. Refer to old pf as a guide for placement of drop target banks, flipper mounts etc. etc.

#1420 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

So I'm working through the issues on this le of mine and whoever owned this previously liked to splice wires and cover with electrical tape. Sometimes I can't figure out where the wires originally went to, so I may be asking for some pictures, if someone could help it would be appreciated.
What is the purpose of the solenoids on the side drop bank? It appears they cause the drop to be knocked down by the solenoid, but why? Is this built in to the gameplay somehow? I'm attaching a picture. It appears the coil locked on at some point and the guy 'fixed' it by cutting the wires.

The 7 mini coils are known as memory coils. Say you drop targets 1, 2 and 3 and the ball drains. Player 2 will start with all drops in the up position. He knocks down 9 10 and 11 then his ball drains. When ball 2 starts for your turn, the bank resets and then the mini coils will knock down the 3 targets you dropped on the previous ball.

I can supply pics for you, just lmk which area you need.

#1422 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

That makes sense. Thanks for the responses everyone.

I have seen EBD's where people have installed the incorrect coils. Some of the coils on this game are controlled by the "solenoid expander" board which is the small green board under the playfield next to the lower left flipper. Any coils from this circuit must have 3 solder tabs on it. Verify from the manual that all your coils are the correct type. Any variation of these coils will cause major problems. Including locked on coils.

#1433 6 years ago
Quoted from AgentX:

I hate to ask, but I'm still having no luck on my (1984) outhole kicker. Would someone mind taking a pic of the wires coming into the coil there? I've learned my lesson and will always leave a tiny bit of original wire when disconnecting a coil to replace.
Thanks in advance. I just want to quick talkin and start chalkin.
-K

With game in attract mode, run the self diagnostic test. The first press of the red button will flash the controlled lamps, you should also see the lamp under the pf by the SEB board flash, when it does, the SEB board relay should click loud enough to hear. If it makes no sounds then it's probably bad. The outhole kicker is on the SEB circuit,, so if the SEB is not working properly, no out hole.

Check for coil voltage at the SEB. Check header pins for cold solder joints. If all good, go to coil self test, I think it's the second press of the red button. There's a chart inside the head with the ID numbers for the coils(solenoids). The ID number will flash on the display at the same time the coil fires. If any coils do not fire, wright the numbers down and post here.

If all coils fire except the outhole coil, then you have a wire or transistor issue. And possibly a connector issue.

#1435 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

AgentX
If the out hole is wired correctly and the coil does not fire but the
top drop target does, then change the lamp bridge.

Lamp bridge?

#1438 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

YES, the lamp bridge!!!!
Put the game in lamp test and listen to the solenoid expander relay.
Does it chatter??????? or does it click snappy???.

I meant, what is the bridge? Is it part of the SEB?

#1443 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

I also just realized that the solenoid expander board needs that 555 lamp to function. I think the wire to that has been cut. Can someone send or post a picture of that area to me? Specifically this is a le if that makes a difference.
They must have had an issue previously with the solenoids and who knows what else got screwed up until I troubleshoot

There's no need to remove the entire bank from the pf. Just unplug the 9 pin connector, remove 2 screws from each side that holds the memory coil bracket in place. The coils look correct, drops for ball 1-9 and 2-10 are controlled by the SEB, that's why they have the extra lug. Make sure the plungers for the other 6 memory coils move freely. I don't think the SEB would cause a coil to fry, only fail to switch from one coil to the other if it did fail. I would suspect the driver transistor.

With the memory coils unplugged, do the other coils fire during self test?

#1446 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Yes indeed, it's like that foreign female friend that I rarely can relate to or understand.
I think in this case I understand though. The two drop target resets and drops 1,2,9,10 seem to require coils with two diodes and three terminals. The rest of the coils are only 1 diode and the two terminal seems to be the right type. Can anyone confirm? I'm attaching a picture of that area of the schematic. Thanks

Yes that's correct. The SEB controls 6 coils in all as shown in schematic. The SEB relay switches from one line to the other depending on what the game is calling for. The extra diode on these coils prevents the other coils from being energized. The reason for the SEB is that EBD exceeds the standard 16 coils on most games. The solenoid driver board is only capable of running 16 coil circuits. EBD has 19 if you include the coin door lock out and knocker. The SEB takes the extra 3 coils plus 3 out of the 16 and splits the circuit between those 6. The 6 that were chosen are not needed during the fast parts of the game play so there's time for the SEB to react.

I have had many EBD's and have seen burnt memory coils before. So not uncommon. Replace the corresponding transistor.

1 week later
#1458 6 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Any fellow EBD owners know where/how to get new roms for free play? Whould love to hear from someone who has done it and what was all involved.
Thanks
Ryan

Andy spitler can make the free roms.

#1466 6 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

How does one achieve this without any modifications? Hope you aren't suggesting setting a ridiculously low replay score to get credits. That may be fine for shows but I still like to try to achieve a "free" game at the normal scoring levels even in the home environment.

Free play roms.

#1469 6 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

That would be a modification would it not ? The point made by Gatecrasher was without any mods or hacks

I guess it's a matter of opinion. You're not changing the physical aspect of the game by changing roms, you can always switch back.

#1473 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

For me, no, I thought it was a great idea. Good for pinball shows and what not.

It is clever.

1 week later
#1487 6 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

aaah, that looks quite different. Happen to know what part# that spring has?
Re. the switch: the star is complete (and new) and the screws sit tight. Do you have a view from the side? Is there just the contact leaf or does it have a second leaf behind to kind of reinforce it?

To get more tension on the star roll-over, remove the leaf switch and bend the upper leaf upward with a switch adjustment tool or thin needle nosed pliers. You want to bend it at the base where the stacks are. You may have to tweak it a little as you don't want too stiff either. Also with switch removed, make sure the star moves freely. It should drop on it's own with the pf laying horizontally. If this is a new CPR pf, you may need to clean out some clear from the star insert, CAREFULLY! You need about 1/16 spacing between the contacts.

#1488 6 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

Can somebody please share a picture of the rollover button switch? That switch is driving me crazy because it doesn´t seem strong enough to push the star back up every time. So maybe I´m missing something here.
And a picture of the 8-ball drop target assembly would be helpful, too. Mine looks like this:

Guess I´m missing some kind of spring here.....

Looks like the wrong spring. The spring part number is SP-100-350. It looks as if the extra tension on the short spring is causing the target to pull forward and causing it to bind, which is why the rubber band was placed to help pull it down.

#1490 6 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Hello, I am new to this club and happy to be here.
My situation is the playfield is pretty good but the backbox needs some work. I found a guy locally that said he could help rebuild it. The top front piece is missing and the right side is loose. Also the bottom piece that has the hinge is separated
Is there any way that someone could post a bunch of pictures of what the backbox should look like? Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

The head support should be permanently mounted to the base cab. I see these come loose quite often due to the fact that only 3 nails were placed on the back edge and a few staples on the sides. I'm currently rebuilding one now. Here's a head that I restored years back. The black trim was so bad that I removed it and took trim from a Star trek head and used them instead. I'm pretty sure I saved the old ones and you are welcomed to them if you pay the shipping. They are rough but maybe you can have a carpenter replicate them. Basically all the Bally solid state heads are the same, except for Xenon and Space Invaders since they have a hinged backglass. One of my EBD project games has real bad head like yours, even worse, so I'm using a Flash Gordon head to replace it.

Before and after:

IMG_0910 (resized).JPGIMG_0910 (resized).JPG

IMG_0925 (resized).JPGIMG_0925 (resized).JPG

IMG_1162 (resized).JPGIMG_1162 (resized).JPG

#1492 6 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Thank for the pictures & the offer on the trim. I may take them if the guy helping me with the woodwork thinks I need them. Do you think there is any cabinet art out there as in stencils or decals if I were to need them?

Yes there are stencils available. I'm using these on my current resto: http://pinballpimpstencils.com/?page_id=486

LMK about the trim.

#1497 6 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Two things to note: First, hinged Vector head is also the same as Xenon and Space Invaders.
Second, not all Bally SS heads are the same. Early heads like Playboy had a 1" deeper body than later heads like Centaur or Fathom. Not a big deal unless you're paying $100 for stencils that won't fit a substitute backbox.
At least two very early SS games, Evel Kneivel and Night Rider, had backboxes with hinged backglass frames, similar to those on Xenon/SI/Vector but with a piano hinge instead of door hinges. The camlock was also located in a different spot than later SS's. You can see this at the photos on IPDB.

OK I stand corrected

5 months later
#1669 6 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

To run the leds in the inserts do you need just the main board from alltek or the aux too?

Main and Aux, they make both.

#1670 6 years ago
Quoted from Tember:

Great thread...
I am restoring a very tired EBD, all harnesses etc, I am thinking I want to replace the #555's with bayonet holders.
Is that generally the most reliable solution?
Ted

I have changed the 555 to bayonet 44's on 2 EBD games. I did however, keep the 555 for the GI lamps just to keep the top side of the pf looking more original. The bayonets are more LED friendly than 555 socks. LED's are very difficult to insert into 555's

If you keep the 555's for the GI, you can clean them up and clean the contacts with a tiny emery board to 400 sand paper. Leave old bulbs in and spray paint white if removed form the pf.

#1671 6 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Why? There's a reason Bally decided to ditch them.
The amber ones are a lot nicer-looking and became a major part of the iconic theme.

I like the amber as well, but I would like a white set just for nostalgia.

#1672 6 years ago

The coil is wired incorrectly. The black wires go on the lug the coincides with banded side of the diode and the brown/orange go to the center lug. EBD has more coils than the standard solenoid driver can acommodate. So bally came up with the solenoid expander board (SEB) which is mounted under the pf, near the pf fuse. It controls 7 coils in the game
1. Outhole kicker
2. one ball DT memory coil
3. two ball DT memory coil
4. saucer eject
5 inline DT reset coil
6. 7 bank DT reset coil (2 coils,same circuit)

All of these coils should have 3 lugs with 2 diodes. Any variation will result in weirdness. The diodes are wired in series. The center lug of the coil is a soldering point between the 2 diodes depending on where the coil is used in the game. The coil winding is connected to the outer coil lugs only. It seems confusing until you understand the theory. The expander has a relay that switches between the 3 of the coil circuits and the other 3 depending on game play. The extra diode prevents 2 coils from being energized at the same time. With game on and in attract mode, push the self test button on the coin door 1 time. This activates the controlled lamp test and SEB board. You should hear the SEB clicking in sync with the controlled lamps flashing. If it does not, then there's an issue. First thing to check is the header pins for the SEB for cold solder joints. Or bad relay. Located by the SEB is a lamp socket and bulb. Bulb should be flashing with controlled lamps in test mode.

#1673 6 years ago
Quoted from OwenKhan:

Hey guys,
Troubleshooting a EBD for a friend... The Solenoid for the out hole kicker wasn't ever wired up after a playfield restoration and I can't decipher the wiring diagram.
Could someone post some photos of their 1981 EBD out hole kickers wiring please? I check the photos in this thread and didn't see one... I know there are sposta be two diodes in there, so I'll pick those up, but wanted to be sure of the wiring before firing it up again,
Thanks!

Black wires go the lug with non-banded side of diode and the brown go to the center lug.

#1674 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

The coil is wired incorrectly. The black wires go on the lug the coincides with banded side of the diode and the brown/orange go to the center lug. EBD has more coils than the standard solenoid driver can acommodate. So bally came up with the solenoid expander board (SEB) which is mounted under the pf, near the pf fuse. It controls 7 coils in the game
1. Outhole kicker
2. one ball DT memory coil
3. two ball DT memory coil
4. saucer eject
5 inline DT reset coil
6. 7 bank DT reset coil (2 coils,same circuit)
All of these coils should have 3 lugs with 2 diodes. Any variation will result in weirdness. The diodes are wired in series. The center lug of the coil is a soldering point between the 2 diodes depending on where the coil is used in the game. The coil winding is connected to the outer coil lugs only. It seems confusing until you understand the theory. The expander has a relay that switches between the 3 of the coil circuits and the other 3 depending on game play. The extra diode prevents 2 coils from being energized at the same time. With game on and in attract mode, push the self test button on the coin door 1 time. This activates the controlled lamp test and SEB board. You should hear the SEB clicking in sync with the controlled lamps flashing. If it does not, then there's an issue. First thing to check is the header pins for the SEB for cold solder joints. Or bad relay. Located by the SEB is a lamp socket and bulb. Bulb should be flashing with controlled lamps in test mode.

Correction, the black wires go to the non-banded side.
This post was meant for owenKahn

#1675 6 years ago

It's been ages since I have read this thread. Has anyone had issues with the repro plastic sets? Mainly the clear flipper return lane and the upper right 8 ball inner clear. I have 3 sets and none are correct. What have you guys done to get around this?

#1677 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I used the OEM as a template and made my own.

Years back, I think it was Marco or BAA, sold a 3 piece set that included the lane returns and the piece left of the 8 ball DT. I bought a few and luckily I have enough for a few more games. Classic Arcades sells them on epay but they are much thinner, but they are plastic protectors and not actual replacements. I searched for them on PPS and BAA and found that BAA had the lane returns sold separately and also the 3 piece set. I ordered what they had left which was 2 sets. I got them yesterday and to my disappointment they are the same as classic arcades.

I have never remade any plastics yet, but I think it will be inevitable at some point. How did you cut them? What material?

#1681 6 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Where have you been? This topic has been discussed more times than I can count over the past decade or so.
Every reproduction plastic set as well as every NOS Bally plastic set since the beginning of time has the same error. That's why the reproductions are the way they are. Everyone just continues to copy the screwed-up NOS sheet artwork. No one really knows the story on the NOS artwork. It's just screwed-up. Holes are in the wrong location for the lower lane guides and there are pieces that don't even belong to EBD.
To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a correct set reproduced because an EBD expert has never made them. People just continue to copy the same errors over and over.

Yeah Jeff, I don't have the time to keep up with the groups as I would like. It's been months since I even posted on this thread. Also when i did my first EBD resto in 2010, I used cpr plastics and the inner right lane clear was correct. It was only the flipper returns that were wrong. I sourced the correct lane returns from another pinhead back then. Enough for a few games.
I think there was a guy that did them correctly, that was a guy named Alan. Forget the last name. But thanks for clearing this up. Now I know why they are screwed up.

#1686 6 years ago
Quoted from BorisSWort:

I need new right and left slingshot switches, and I can't find the part number anywhere. Does anyone know the part number and where I can get them?
Also, I am a hard time re-using the metal posts for my new plastics. I assume no one makes replacement posts? If not, would grinding off the top that sticks in the plastic hole and then super gluing the post to the plastic work?

I have never found exact replacements for Bally slings. I keep the old switches and just change the blades. I use these:

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BS-SW-1A-120

I'm not sure if Bay Area ships international but you can ask them. Marco Spec also has this switch but is a little more expensive but they probably will ship to you.

So take these apart and toss everything except the blades. The holes are slightly smaller that the original blades so you will have to enlarge them with a round file or a diamond bit in the Dremel. It doesn't take much effort to make them fit and the blade length is perfect. I have done this several times in all my early solid state restos.

#1687 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Could it be Alan Meyers? in LA of Pinball Express?
He did a lot of repo. stuff and the guys that had the licensing shut him down.

Yes it was him.

#1688 6 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

All the repop sets I have seen over the years have always been the same. The only parts that are actually non-functional are the lower clear lane guides because as you mentioned the holes are in the wrong location. The rest of the clear pieces are good except there are a couple extras that are not for EBD that are always included. No one knows how they got onto the NOS master but they are there and everyone since has always made everything the same including IPB and CPR and others before them. There have always been guys that have filled the void though and made separate clear pieces though. I used to make them out of Lexan in the 90s. I remember there was a guy selling them on eBay about 10 years ago that made them out of acrylic but they would crack during gameplay. Most now are made from PETG.

I got a few pairs of the lane returns from Mike P about 8 years ago. I remember one of them cracked while I was installing them so I'm guessing his are acrylic. I tried your technique for replacing the plastics stand-offs this time around. I like it more than how I used to do it, which was to melt them in with the tip of a 30 watt iron. The melting technique is ok for the lower plastics since they are covered by the second layer of plastics. Doing it that way pushes too much melted plastic upward which needs to ground off and that's too risky for damaging the plastics. The only issue I had was that some of my stand offs were over tightened as some point which causes the collar of the stand to sink too low for the crimper to grab. Luckily for now I have a bunch to pick through from my parts hoard.

#1690 6 years ago
Quoted from BorisSWort:

I was able to get the metal posts out of the old plastics (at least until my lighter ran out of gas). However, I can not seem to take the flare out without messing up the tops - I keep making them square. Can I just drill a bigger hole in the plastics? Why can't someone like g94 just make some metal posts? That has to be easier than making plastics.

I wouldn't drill the plastics. You might end up cracking them and hate yourself later. Take a deep breath. Be patient. Are you using the crimper that gatecrasher shows in pic? It's very cheap at most auto parts stores. They usually come in a kit with fuses and crimp connectors. I start out with the middle size until I get the metal to take shape and then go to the small size. Like any metal, you need to work it slowly, keep turning the stand as you crimp. Eventually you will get the hang of it. Also keep the stand flush to the bottom of the crimper while doing so. Your hands may get tired and sore,so just do a few at a time.

It would be very costly to reproduce these and there wouldn't be enough demand to warrant the expense. I believe these are actually 2 pieces, one being the bell shaped stand the the other being some sort of eyelet like you would see on a sneaker where the laces go through. There must have been special tooling made just for this purpose. The amount pressure needed to flare the top would make the stands cave in at the top if they were just pressed downward, so I believe they where crimped somehow.

#1702 6 years ago
Quoted from OwenKhan:

Ok, got a few issues:
My drop target bank seems like its set way too high... when the drops are down they still stick up almost 1/4 inch above the playfield. So there are airballs a-plenty and many lighter shots never even make it to the stand up targets behind. There doesn't seem to be a setting to adjust the height of the drops so do I just remove the whole assembly and add a spacer to make the drops level with the field when down? They aren't meant to be that high are they?
The other issue may be a bit trickier. The Deluxe stand up targets don't play their sound when hit (I assume they are meant to, seems like they do in gameplay vids). They do cause all the other sounds to stop for a second though. This problem is only present when the stand ups are NOT lit... once they are lit they play a sound as normal. All targets score as they should, so I'm guessing its just a problem with that one sound not triggering (or getting to the speaker) on the soundboard. Any one seen this problem? Where do I start? Gonna go stare at the schematics for a while and see what I come up with, any help is greatly appreciated.

If the drop targets are too high, then there's something wrong. The very bottom of the target should sit flat on the bottom metal piece that has the round holes in it. I assume you are referring to the horseshoe targets? If you are using the CPR pf then the targets actually sit too low because their pf is about 1/16 inch thicker and the clear coat adds even more thickness. This causes a place for the ball to get stuck and I had to shim my targets. Same holds true with the flippers. Add a brass washer under the flipper bat so the flipper doesn't drag across the pf.

My first EBD had missing sounds and I changed U12 on the S&T. That fixed it. U12 us a AY3 8912

http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch;jsessionid=D56340AA1B673AA1313FD8017EA6B004.jvm1?SEARCH_STRING=ay3+8912

Also it would be a good idea to replace the caps and volume pots.

#1703 6 years ago

I forgot to mention that the deluxe targets make 2 different sounds when hit. They make a echoey boop sound if not going for deluxe and then a more agressive sound when going for deluxe after the 8 ball target has been sunk.

#1708 6 years ago
Quoted from OwenKhan:

Hmm... Put up a high score, turned the machine off, now it doesn't start up sometimes. MPU boots fine but sometimes it wont start a game and the displays don't lilght. Seems to work again intermitently after wiggling connectors : (
Anyone have a good resource for either a kit to repin everything or a good guide to understanding all the connector types (I've watched a few vids, but it's alot of info to retain as far as what crimpers and connectors and pins are needed)
Thanks in advance!

Always start with the power supply when troubleshooting a pin. Test the values with J 1,2,3 and 4 disconnected. This is a no load test. If lamp voltage is still low, it's most likely a failing bridge rectifier. Incoming voltage from transformer to BR1 via J6 purple wire is 8.2 Volts AC and purple/blk is 9.4 volts AC If you want to verify transformer performance. BR1 supplies 6.5 volts DC for the switched lamps. The bridge is easy to change and not very expensive. Also check the fuse clips for F1 for signs of overheating. Replace if tarnished.

Big Daddy Enterprises sells a rebuild kit for the -54. The connectors on the -54 are AMP brand and use .084 pins and sockets. He also has these. EBD has IDC connectors for the rest of the game. IDC = insulation displacement connector. These can be flaky after 35 plus years. I replace them with Molex type. The smaller connectors are .100 size and the large are .156. Big Daddy, Great plains elect are the best sources for these. They sell the crimping tool as well.

#1713 6 years ago
Quoted from OwenKhan:

Also, the speech still works, but most other sounds don't... Is it possible all those problems could be caused by bad pins/connectors?
The last session I played was by far the longest since the machine sat unused for 8 years... I'm thinking connectors got hotter than they have been and started acting up again. Several pins are green goo-ified, but only one looks like it ever got hot enough to burn... Should I go ahead repinning or could the problem still be something else?

If the game has been sitting then you will have connector issues. Which one is burnt? If you are getting over 7 volts at TP1 then there's no reason to check incoming voltage at J6. A little high shouldn't hurt anything. 5.5 is low. The lamps need 6.3 to run properly. It's possible that the connectors are causing some resistance and making the voltage drop. Try re-seating the connectors by pulling apart and re-connecting a few times for each one. Don't forget the aux driver on the backbox lamp panel. Did you install any LED lamps in the game? They will flicker if you don't have a Alltek driver or a latch resistor on each lamp.

Back to the displays. If the rectifier is only putting out 150V that's too low. The displays need about 170-180 volts. I think it's time to rebuild the rect board or buy a new reproduction board. Incoming high volt should be 170V AC from the transformer, J5 red wires pins 2 and 3.

GI voltage comes straight off the transformer 6.5 V AC. If all GI lamps are dim, it could be tarnished fuse clips. These are high current clips that will come with the rebuild kit if you order it.

And I just thought of this,, any lamps that are acting up may need to be pulled and reseated. The 555 sockets are easily fouled by oxidation and/or dirt. And if this game sat dormant for a long time, all lamps and sockets may need to be cleaned depending on where the game was stored. Humidity and moisture reek havoc on these games.

1 week later
#1724 6 years ago
Quoted from OwenKhan:

Could someone throw up a pic of the jumper wires on a 1981 EBD for the plug on the metal bracket by the one big screw in fuse on the power supply? One of my pins was jury rigged poorly by the previous owner... it came out and I want to make sure it is back in the right spot before I re pin it... Thanks!
Also, why is that plug not in the documentation?

It is in the manual on the cabinet wiring diagram page. At the far right side of the page you will see "Voltage jumper connections"

There are 4 jumper combinations. Next to 115V you will see 2-8, 3-6, 7-10. This means these pin numbers need to be jumpered if running on 115V which most games for the US were jumpered for. You should have 3 orange wires for your jumper settings. The pins are numbered on the connector but the numbers are very tiny and you may need a magnifying glass to see them ,no kidding.
Big Daddy sells these connectors too. You will need the .084 pin extraction tool if you want/need to swap it out. I recently sold the game I just restored so I can't provide pics but maybe someone else can.

#1725 6 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

If it doesn't say slo-blow, its fast.

Quoted from twinmice:

Question on the 20 amp fuses, it calls for a 20 amp 32 volt, will a ceramic 20 amp 250 volt work? And is it a fast or slo blow fuse? Thanks Mike

Stay away from the ceramic. The fuse clips cannot handle the heat. You need a standard 20 A fuse, fast blo. GPE has a nice selection of USA fuses.

#1728 6 years ago
Quoted from solderboy:

I need some help with a strange problem. I thought I had everything working before I tore my EBD Limited Edition apart. It's been about a year, and the playfield is finally back and looks awesome. But now every time the #4, 12 drop target is hit (no matter where in the sequence of the game), the game goes crazy. All other ball drop targets work fine and the sound indicates each one correctly. When in a game & the #4, 12 drop target is hit, some examples of the things I've seen it do are:
* D E L & U orange insert lights flash rapidly and do not stop
* Game tilts
* Player 2, 3 & 4 start up (only had one-player game going)
* New credits appear at random. 39 credits...
When I go through the solenoid test, the first 10 solenoids work perfectly, but then when the #4, 12 Drop Target solenoid is tested, the test stops completely, and the game won't do anything until I turn the power off/on again. I see that when the test tries to fire the #4, 12 Drop Target solenoid, the right slingshot also fires.
All fuses are fine. All my power test points are fine. Most connectors have been re-pinned. I've checked each connection on the "monster" drop target assembly and there are no cold solder joints.
Where do I look now? Solenoid Expander? MPU?

SEB only controls the 1 and 2 ball target memory coils, horseshoe target reset, outhole kicker, saucer eject and the inline drop target reset coils.

I seems like a switch matrix or grounding issue. Check the switch for the 4, 12 target for anything abnormal. May be bent and touching something. Make sure the horseshoe bank assy. is not touching any trace wire under the pf, especially that one insert lamp that's tucked under there. If you have an extra solenoid driver, throw it in and see if the game has the same issue. Another thing to check is the insulated paper behind the start switch, they wear and cause problems when it comes in contact with coin door.

#1730 6 years ago
Quoted from solderboy:

Thanks. I will check on those things in the morning and let you know what I find. It’s strange that problems only happen - consistently and repeatedly- with the 4,12 horseshoe drop target.

Diode lead may be touching something or crapped out. There's a common connection for the all the switches via a bare braided wire, look at that also.

#1731 6 years ago

Also do a switch test in test mode. All drops should be reset and ball removed. You get 0 in the match/ball display. If a switch is closed, the game will ding and the switch number will appear in the display.

#1738 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

My EBD is very chatty during attract mode. I don't see an option in the manual to turn it off.
Any ideas chuckwurt ?

page 12 "game over attract" sw 30

#1739 6 years ago
Quoted from solderboy:

Short answer: Problem fixed!
Somehow there was a short in the 4,12 drop target switch stack. After checking all the things you listed, diodes, etc, nothing helped. To isolate and prove it was that 4,12 drop target switch, I taped it "open" and ran the solenoid test. It still stalled at the 4,12. But the problem simply could not be anywhere else. So for giggles I unscrewed the 4,12 switch stack from the drop target assembly, separated the leafs & spacers (leaving no doubt), and ran the test again. When the solenoid test made it past the 4,12 and continued all the way around, some choice words were uttered. I concluded that some connection was happening through the very thin spacer in the stack, so I replaced it with another from an old switch, and it's fixed. It's after midnight and I just played my EBD LE for the first time in over a year!

Glad to hear that you found the culprit. It could have been a tiny piece of solder that dripped or splashed over it. Those switches being so close the edge of the pf doesn't help. That area for me is the hardest part of the swap, replacing the yellow stand up targets, diodes and caps, oh what fun!!

#1740 6 years ago
Quoted from BorisSWort:

I recently replaced my playfield but the x multiplyers are a tiny bit low when down. A ball got stuck on the 4x last night and I tilted trying to bump it free. Am i going to have to take that apparatus off and chisel out the bottom of the playfield? I would love to use a router but I don’t think that is possible.

As solderboy mentioned, the inline targets and also the 8 ball target have a adjustment plate under the target bank. Loosen 2 screws just enough to free movement of the plate and adjust. The horseshoe target bank is not adjustable. If you swapped with a CPR you will see that the horseshoe targets sit low due to the CPR wood being about 2-3 mm thicker than the original. I fixed this by placing 1/16 inch washers inside the lower section of the target bank, therefore raising the target resting height.

#1745 6 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

Here is an EBD I just picked up! CPR Gold playfield, White pop up bumpers and perfect original BG.

i hate you lol

#1756 6 years ago
Quoted from BorisSWort:

I replaced all of my lights with Pinball Life's Ablaze Premium Ghost Buster 1-SMD-LEDs with frosted dome (warm white). Are they too bright for an 8 Ball Deluxe? Or, am I just too old?

I like Cointaker warm white frosted. They also help with the warping of the plastics since they give off much less heat than the 555's

1 week later
#1791 6 years ago
Quoted from PINBALL-LUST:

I'm jumping in as a member! Haven't played mine yet. Needs a total restoration. Anyone recommend someone to do this for me? Please forward me all good candidates for this. Also, can anyone give me a guess on what this might cost to have it restored by another person? I don't have the time to do this one. I did my Phantom of the Opera myself.

The PF looks decent for an EBD. How many flashes are you getting on the mpu when turning on power?

#1796 6 years ago

The power transformer is so hacked and chopped that I can't power it on. I did once and it had a current running through it and shocked me when I touched the flipper buttons.

That's a bummer. You probably need to find another transformer since the wiring on these cannot be replaced. A Xenon or Flash Gordon will work. Actually most Bally games that have the transformer in the cab will work. Some may have a few add ons like GI flashers or florescent lamp transformers. I will look for one at Pinfest next month.

#1797 6 years ago

The power transformer is so hacked and chopped that I can't power it on. I did once and it had a current running through it and shocked me when I touched the flipper buttons.

Or, if you have the manual, you can trace the wires and get it back to where you can atleast power it up. Right now it seems that the 115V is touching ground since the side rails are part of the ground causing you to get zapped. I wouldn't be too optimistic though, since house current probably hit the ground sides of the boards as well.

#1800 6 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

Could someone please tell me what diodes to use for the tilt mechanisms in the cabinet? They're so old I can't identify them.

1N4148 or 1N4004

#1803 6 years ago

I am currently working on my POTO power problem. When I'm done with that, I'll be able to show you all what is going on with my EBD. Thanks for your help!

can't wait to see it

2 weeks later
#1808 5 years ago
Quoted from BorisSWort:

I’m replacing my slingshot switches - the lower ones. There is a diode between where the wire goes to the first post and second post on the first switch. Do I need that diode? If so, can I just use the diode from the old switch?

Only 1 diode is needed per side since the switches are wired parallel. I would replace the diodes since you will be working on it anyway. Very cheap. 1N4148 or 1N4004

#1811 5 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

Anybody an idea where to get the EE lamp sockets from that were used in EBD? I checked Marco and a few other places but no success.
I believe I saw a thread here where somebody replaced all his sockets with new ones but I can´t find that anymore....

Those sockets are NLA, no longer available. I did 2 EBD swaps and changed from 555 wedge base socket to the 44 bayonet style. They are much more reliable and the LEDs fit better.

2 weeks later
#1814 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Wondering if anyone could help me with a playfield light issue on my EBD Classic? A couple of weeks ago, an issue started with the billiard ball lights on the playfield. In Player 1 mode, as balls 1 thru 7 start to light up as a result of targets dropping, balls 8-15 start lighting up dimly and progressively get brighter (when 8-15 should be all off). Conversely in Player 2 mode, as balls 8-15 light up as a result of targets dropping, balls 1-7 start lighting up dimly and progressively get brighter (when 1-7 should be all off).
In addition to this occurring during gameplay, a very similar thing occurs when the playfield lights are in attract mode in-between games. Here's a short video to see exactly what I’m talking about: » YouTube video.
I’ve tried re-seating all of the connectors on the Alltek LED light board in the back box. I visually inspected the wires to the LEDs and I don’t see anything loose or in need of re-soldering. Any suggestions to point me in the right direction? Thank you!

I would try putting the incandescent lamps back in and see if anything changes. Also contact Alltek support and explain the issue. They are usually quick on the reply. Is jumper installed from alltek to switched lamp bus as per alltek instructions? Verify switched lamp voltage is in spec.

#1819 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Thanx, guys. I put back in the incandescents, no change. I confirmed that the jumper wire from TP13 on the Alltek board is still attached to the control lamp on the back box. I've got a VM, but I'm a newbie at pinball ownership and am not sure where to check voltages or what the values should be. Can you point me in the right directly for that?
The Aux Lamp Driver Board in my EBD is still the original Bally one - should that be updated to the Alltek LED/Lamp Driver board as well? The configuration I have now did work flawlessly for about 3 months till I hit this issue.
Thanx again!

If you have a TP13 then you have an Alltek driver already. Original driver does not have the LED support. Either the Alltek is failing or there's a short in the lamp circuit. Try contacting Alltek support via email. They reply quickly.

#1822 5 years ago
Quoted from ts4z:

And the LE has the cabinet nobody likes to work on.

I agree, I had a Centaur II and working on it was a challenge.

1 week later
#1832 5 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

Is it possible to adjust the height of the main target bank? I see how to adjust the bank shot and eight ball but not the main bank.

no there isn't. If you have CPR pf then the targets might be sitting too low because of the extra thickness of the pf wood and the clear coat. The ball will get stuck on the drop target bank if the targets are down. You will need to find a way to shim the targets up by placing something on the bottom bracket of the bank where the targets rest when down. Perhaps a flat piece of metal that can be mounted there. I used thick washers.

#1834 5 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I used some foam weather stripping. Kind of cushions the targets as they drop. Has to be just the right thickness though.

Yeah about 3/32 to 1/8 inch.

#1835 5 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Yeah about 3/32 to 1/8 inch.

I also thought of using foam similar to beer seal but was afraid the foam would crush or dry rot over time.

4 months later
#1896 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Issue resolved (or worst case, made a lot more reliable)! Upon closer examination of the kicker assembly, I noticed the little plastic shroud around the coil mounting backet post was a bit loose/wobbly. Because of this, the kicker arm would rest back closer to that post. When that happens, the part of the kicker that touches the ball would not be square with ball and instead be off to the side a bit (a bit like bjm-maxx described). I'm thinking this is what might be causing the occasional "misfire" on my machine.
I took the cotter pin off the post and removed the plastic shroud. I then cut down and wrapped some electrical tape around the post, then forced the plastic shroud back down over the taped post so it's nice and tight and reinserted the cotter pin. It's solid now....no movement on the post. And this forces the kicker to be square up on the ball.
Before applying this bit of jury-rigging, the kicker would fail to launch the ball into the shooter lane about 2 times out of 10 on average. After, it's worked 50 for 50 so far. Time will tell how solid this is, but I'm pretty happy for now. Unexpected side benefit - the kicker action actually seems a lot quieter now.[quoted image]

I have used these with good results but of course out of stock. Maybe somebody has them:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7176-1

1 week later
#1908 5 years ago

I have 3 more EBD's in cue to restore, I would love to see white caps reproduced. I would like to make a game with the white caps and red posts like the 81 flyer shows. Speaking of bumpers, has anyone seen any new pop bumper bases for sale that are actually white? I might send a sample to Shapeways once I get settled in my new place.

1 week later
#1913 5 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I want to do some touch-up on my EBD-LE cabinet. It's in pretty good shape but has a few bumps and bruises that could be improved upon.
Does anyone know what the colors for the Limited Edition cabinet are?
I don't need it perfect, but hopefully something that I can get at HomeDepot/Lowes that is a reasonably close match to the black, red, and gold.
Thanks.

I think the gold is the same as the 81 cab. Also used on FG...

1 month later
#1919 5 years ago

I have them. In fact, I have reproduction cards and warning labels for entire EBD, Xenon, FG, Star Trek and F2K pins. I sell sets or singles. PM me.

#1923 5 years ago

I'm jealous! I want those caps lol. I have white rings but haven't found the caps yet. What is the cab serial number? I have 1376, cab only and doing a new restore this year.

#1925 5 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Thanks 2k, Found the file on Inkonito's site and printed my own.

Oh yeah I forgot about him. Anyway, I have the yellow stickers already done if you need one. Perfect match.

#1927 5 years ago
Quoted from Vreuls:

Serial number is 1046

Cool. I think they started at 1000 so you have #46

#1931 5 years ago
Quoted from pinfixer:

EED 1007 myself. Lowest S/N known to exist. Plastic playfield game as well. As you can see in my avatar I have the proto "Blue Display" EBD so if someone is looking for a very unique EBD I would consider parting with 1007. The previous owner posted pictures of this exact game on IPDB so you can see what it's condition is. I've owned it for about 15 years now and never got around to doing much with it so I'd like to see it find a new loving home.
I too have a bunch of rings, but no caps. I asked PPS if they could make them in white as Grand Slam uses white caps. From what I remember is PPS is working to have EBD caps reproduced in white. Was given a time frame of "sometime this year" and that was in 2018 so lets hope they hit the market in 2019.

PM sent

1 month later
#1947 5 years ago

As BJM-Maxx said, don't lube the flipper mech or any other mechanicals on solid state games as the grease will cause problems later. The flipper return springs on linear flippers are weak. Make sure there's enough tension to pull the flipper back. Also I have seen coil stops become magnetized causing sticking flippers. Look for loose screws on the coil stop and the coil retaining bracket. There should not be any resistance when moving flipper by hand, if there is, you may need to replace the bushing on the flipper shaft or clean/replace coil sleeve. Also there should be about a 1/16 inch minimum up and down clearance of the flipper in relation to the playfield so the flipper bat doesn't drag. The Pinball Resource is a good place to buy flipper parts for Bally games.

#1954 5 years ago
Quoted from cngizbleevng:

Wow, those side exit lanes allow the ball to drain more than I recall on just about any other game. Is it just the nature of the beast or has anyone adjusted anything or added posts to cut down on that?

The upper posts under the left and right sling shot plastics have pre-drilled holes in the playfield for moving the posts up and down for conservative, medium and liberal adjustments. Only takes a few minutes to change them.

#1968 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Does anyone know what paint types/colors are needed for the playfield? I am thinking about touching up some of mine.
[quoted image]

I don't believe there's specific color for the pf. These pf's were made by different manufacturers for the same title. Also each ages differently due to sun light, environment and exposure, etc. etc.

Your best bet is to try and match the colors by trial and error of send to a pro for touch up.

#1976 5 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Anybody have problems with saucer shots sometimes skipping over and past the saucer? It is aggravating especially when lit for big points or special. It’s an NOS pf and new plastics all from many years ago. I’ve tried pushing the outer clear guide plastic as far inward as it can go while tightening it down which seemed to improve it but still happens sometimes. Any suggestions? Thanks!

That's a tough area on this game. If the saucer mech is off slightly the ball will not eject and fall back into the saucer, or over shoots the saucer in your case. I have done 3 resto EBD's and this happened to me as well. It's possible that the clear plastics there are worn down. Can you try moving the lower clear plastic upward to close the gap?

#1989 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Holy crap - this shop wants $6K for an EBD LE!
ebay.com link » Eight Ball Deluxe By Bally Limited Edition Original Pinball Machine 1982
How hard is it to put the correct drop targets in when trying to collect $6K? And there are 15 Watchers....I'm hoping they're watching to see which fool drops $6K on at best a $2500 example.

I have noticed that seller asks for very high prices for their games. I think the average price for a LE is around $2500. To me the original version was the best. I restored 3 of them and sold them for total of almost $18K. But, they were full blown restos with CPR pf's and chrome up the wazoo lol.

#1992 5 years ago
Quoted from Patentlaw:

To all,
Does anyone know the size of the screws that attach the top of the pop bumpers to the skirts? Can't seem to find it.
Plaw

IIRC it's a specialty screw about 3/4 in long with course thread. I probably have a few extra ones if you're not in a hurry. My pins and parts are in storage and I just moved so it will take a week or 2 to get to them.

#1994 5 years ago
Quoted from Tecomd:

New to the forum...
Had an EBD (‘81) for 20 years and a new playfield from CPR. Trying to swap out and convert to the socketed lamp boards used on EBD Limited. I have both my EBD and a limited playfield to use as a guide, but the Limited is a little hacked here and there.
My question is relative to the playfield fuses. My EBD has 1 fuse, Limited Edition 3. I know the 1 amp gets the 2 browns and 2 yellows for the coils...same as original.
What do I hook up to the other 2, for lighting. Looks like they both have a line (1 blue, 1 black with white stripes) that runs back to power board. Then, I assume I just ground the other side to lamp sockets?
Anybody done this?
Thx

I thought about doing that since I had the 3 boards but I thought it would be too much work. I did however swap out the 555 sockets to bayonet 44 style. For me the 555 sockets at the time were not user friendly with LED lamps. I think also that the 81 and LE versions have different colors for all the controlled lamp wiring IIRC. Do you have the LE manual, it should tell how the fuse block is wired? I have one but it's in storage at the moment.

#2000 5 years ago

I'm guess the lamp module is correct because in attract mode the lamps 2x, 3x, 4x, and 5x light up in the proper order. Is that a correct assumption?
I also have ALLTEK boards replacing some of the originals. Do those wiring diagrams still pertain to me?
Also, why on the wiring diagrams do they show 2 4x locations and not a 5x location--is that a typo?
[quoted image]

yes the pin outs are the same for the Alltek driver. The 5x might be switched on the aux lamp driver.

Also you should check the leaf switches for adjustment. If the switch blades are too close, vibrations will cause the switch to close momentarily causing the 4x to light up. Or if it sticks, the 4x will stay lit and 2x will go out because the game thinks the 4x target was dropped. If that's not the issue then maybe the diode is on it's way out.

#2005 5 years ago

I have had 5 EBD games so far and they were mounted both ways. The plastic mounted under the metal is correct. I noticed Flash Gordon which was the game made just before EBD did not have the plastic guide, only metal. I noticed that the metal guides got peened over on FG which also beats up the ball. When I did a FG restore, I added the plastic guides to match EBD. It helps keep the ball from jumping over the metal guide and lets the GI light be more visible. This may be why Bally added it to EBD? Who knows? Only problem is that the plastic guide breaks and wears faster than the metal.

#2006 5 years ago

chromed

DSC01791 (resized).JPGDSC01791 (resized).JPGDSC01792 (resized).JPGDSC01792 (resized).JPG
#2009 5 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Is there a source for the metal Bally stand up posts? I will think about changing to the plastic guides just to try them since I do have them and they are new.

Nobody makes them but you can use them from old plastics which are the same stand. Early Bally and Stern are the same.

#2013 5 years ago

I used Shay's repro plastics on my last restore and didn't have this issue.

#2015 5 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Has anyone remade EBD metal ball guide it measures length 20" x 1" high?
I know new rails have been made for other classic Bally's

No new Bally ball guides that I'm aware of. I have the metal to make them but it's a tedious process. First I have to remove the L brackets from the original guide. I flatten the original guide and use it as a template to mark the new holes for the L bracket rivets. I use nickel plated brass rivets that are similar to the originals. The rivets I have are slightly longer so I need to use a back up washer behind the rivet. It's hidden by the PF plastics so it's no big deal.

I bought the metal from "Metal by the inch" online about 8 years ago. Mirrored stainless. They cut it slightly over an inch, maybe by a 32nd. It doesn't make a difference on EBD except at the very top by the left ball gate. The guide needs to ground down a tad. The ball gate covers it and it's never visible. I have enough to make a few more, I can't remember off the top of my head how many pieces I have left. My pins and parts are in storage since I moved. I will be getting everything out of storage within the next 2 months. If you're interested in having me make one, PM me.

You can also check out Vids thread for making new ball guides.

1 week later
#2024 5 years ago

One of the problems I'm trying to solve on my EBD is shown in this video. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

That seems like a switch matrix problem. Since the switches behind the target bank are near the edge of the PF, it's easy to knock something out of adjustment. Usually from the prop rod. I would look at those switches very closely. Get a flashlight in there and poke around. Look for any diode or cap leads touching anything they are not supposed to be touching. Make sure none of the leaf blades are bent. The spacing between the contacts should be about 1/16 in. when targets are up. If you have the game schematics, look to see if the 1 and 3 targets are on the same column. You may have a diode gone bad or a shorted capacitor. To test a diode, you need a good VOM with a diode test setting. I recommend a Fluke meter. A good diode should read about 60 Millivolts. You have to unsolder one side to test a diode.

Also if the switch contacts are too close, the vibration from the targets dropping will activate nearby switches. It attract mode, try bumping the side of the PF near that target bank and see if anything happens that shouldn't...

#2028 5 years ago

Thanks for those suggestions and the lengthy response! I'll check it out later after work.

Refer to post #2000 previous page about the multiplier drop targets. To add to that, try closing the 2X target switch by hand and see if it does the same thing. If the game is scoring the 4X target, then the switch for 4 must be closing somehow, maybe contacts too close or problem with matrix. Not sure what you mean by schematic not matching, can you explain?

#2031 5 years ago
Quoted from tominator:

when my multiplier targets went wonky it ended up being a short on the coin door of all things! Check out the coin door and coin shutes

Yes that is very possible since the tilt switch is on the same column as the multiplier drops. I believe the cab roll tilt switch, the coin door slam and PF tilt are wired in parallel and share the same block in the matrix. I can't verify this since my games are in storage right now. Once I had a Meteor that would not boot with coin plugged in, unplugged, it booted. So weird things can happen when the coin door has a short. And they often do because people hack them by adding door bell switched for credits. Cutting wires etc.

#2032 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

It's interesting that the 2x and 4x multiplier switches are on the same wire in the matrix as the 1-9 and 3-11 targets, respectively. Don't quite know what to make of that yet.[quoted image]

I think you're on to something here. These are the same switches that @cngizbleevng is having an issue with. I would think it's a diode or stuck switch issue between ST-0 thru ST 3 and I 0 thru I 3, any switch in those columns and rows. I would first start by going into self test, switch test. With all targets reset and ball removed, the display should flash 0. Then close each switch one by one making sure the number on the display matches the chart for switch test. If a number appears with all targets reset and ball removed, I would look at that switch and make sure it's physically open first, then loosen the 2 screws that hold the switch to the pf. Sometimes they short on their own, between the stacks. Drop of solder sometimes gets stuck on them. Stacks breaking down or whatever.

I find that the switch matrix to be one of the hardest things to diagnose on a pin. I can't wrap my head around how the current flows through the circuit when you can visibly see that the switch is open. Like how the MPU activates the coils during self test without closing the actual switch. Which reminds me, I would also run the coil test and make sure those number also match the chart.

Another problem could be a short on the header pins of the MPU. If the header was ever replaced, there could be a solder "bridge" between the pins, even a minute piece of solder not even touching all the time can cause this.

My headache just worse, thanks

#2033 5 years ago

I meant to say ST 0 thru 04, not 03, but now that I think about, it might be the whole damn thing!

#2039 5 years ago

The switches all seem to be about 1/16" apart.
As far as the schematic not matching, when I look at the wiring under the playfield, I see that the 2x multiplier has a white/green wire coming from it.
When I follow that wire, it goes to the Alltek board J2 position 8, not J1 position 27 as in the wiring diagram (I don't think there even is a position 27 on the Alltek board on J1).[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is the lamp driver board A5, see if the wire colors match the feature lamp associated with that connector. Also it looks like the connector has been changed so it is possible someone made a mistake. Look at the MPU schematic to verify wiring to the switch. Did you run the self test yet?

#2046 5 years ago

You can easily remove connector pins using a small flat blade screw driver like the kind used for eye glasses or similar. Press the tang on the connector thru the slot on the housing while pulling the wire out.

#2050 5 years ago

I just ended up doing it this way (removed the orange/white 4x wire). It made no difference in the scoring or the lamp lighting.</blockquote

Ok, I just reviewed the vid you posted the other day. You have the later 1984 version EBD?? Make sure the schematic matches that game specifically because the wire colors are different than the early 81 version. Maybe not all are different but I have noticed different color wires on both games. I found this out when I was stripping parts from a PF that I bought which was from either an LE or 84 version, I was working on a 81 version.

Once this is established, you need to double check the work that was done by whoever replaced the connectors on the game. I know they were changed because all versions of EBD originally had IDC connectors, not KK molex, which is the white one you posted a pic of.

Once that is confirmed, you have to run the switch test I described earlier. The manual has instructions if you're not sure how. The process is the same for most Bally pins of this era.

Also can you provide us with the type of MPU is in the game, original, from another game that was modded or an aftermarket such as Alltek? If Alltek, verify that the dips are set for EBD.

I still suspect an issue in the matrix. Could be a shorted capacitor which most of the fast action switches have, see matrix schematic to see where the caps are. Usually pop bumpers, stand up targets and roll overs have them. If one is shorting, it will send current to other switches and reek havoc. If you find one that you think is bad, you can snip one of the leads to remove it from the circuit. The game will still play as normal for testing purposes. Just dab some solder on the lead to add it back if the cap is still good, otherwide snip the head of the cap off while leaving enough of the original leads to solder on the new one. The original caps on these games are notorious for going bad. They are .05 MFD but you can replace with a .047 since the .050 are getting scarce. Polarity doesn't matter in this case when wiring new ones in. Diodes are dirt cheap. This game uses 1N4148 and they are pennies a piece. Replace the same way as a cap but pay attention to the band on the diode before you remove. Camera helps.

The only other thing I can think of and it's a long shot, are the PIA's on the MPU. I'm pretty sure these control certain game functions. If it's an older MPU, try re-seating them. They are U10 and 11 IIRC. Also going by memory here, J3 on the MPU is where the switch lines come in. This area is prone to corrosion from battery and can cause problems. Isn't fun having a 35 year pin haha!

#2053 5 years ago

Sorry, the rest of my post was cut off, IDK what happened. I will re-post it later.

#2061 5 years ago

I'll have to look at the manual. I went through some of the self tests and saw drop targets dropping one by one and resetting, but I don't recall anything happening with the door.

Make sure the diodes on the slam switch and credit switch are not touch the metal plate of the door. All the metal parts of the cab are tied into a common ground. You can also try removing the slam/tilt switch from the circuit and see if that helps. I have purchased many used Bally doors and have noticed many times that the slam switch was removed or wires snipped. You don't need that switch in a home use game anyway.

#2062 5 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Ok that sounds like the solenoid test, the switch test is where you remove the ball, put all drop targets up and can then check if each switch registers, see if any are stuck closed or falsely showing closures, wrong switch number(s) registering, etc. Five self test button presses and you’re in it.

To add to this, press the red button slowly 5 times. If there are no closed switches, the ball in play display will flash a "0". If any switch is closed there will be a number of the closed switch flashing along with an audible chime. If you do encounter a closed switch, you need to investigate why. First verify that the game has no ball on the pf and that all drop targets a fully reset. Match the number in the display to the switch via the chart and go to that switch. Make sure contacts are open and that whatever activates the switch is moving freely and not stuck, eg. roll over trip wire, stuck star roll over etc.

If that passes, then you know you have a switch matrix issue. And now that you have narrowed it to the coin door, hopefully the switch test will reveal which switch is the culprit, I'm betting on the slam switch. But also since you changed the coin door slot lamps, you may have caused something to short since you need the bend the tabs of the lamp sockets to change those bulb. Inspect the area for anything touching that it should be touching.

#2065 5 years ago

I pressed the button 5 times and a flashing "0" appears in the ball-in-play display.
The diodes on the coin door look good. I don't see anything wrong there.

A diode may look ok but doesn't mean it's good. You have to remove them from the circuit by clipping one of the leads. You need a good VOM with a diode tester. You can easily dab some solder on the lead to reconnect once it's established it's a good one. A flashing 0 is good but you still should follow the switch ID chart and close each switch one at a time and verify the matching number appears in the display. This includes dropping each target one at a time and resetting each one before going to the next. Don't forget to close each tilt/slam switch as well. 4 total including the one on the coin door. I think your issue is with the tilt section. I'm not sure but unplugging the coin door fixed your issue so maybe that eliminated the cabinet tilt switches. There's a capacitor on the tilt bob circuit in the cab. Cut that one since it's not needed for home use unless your playing habits warrant it. That cap if shorted can cause a switch issue. I would also disconnect the coin door tilt as this could be your problem. I often see them removed and not needed in a home setting.

#2067 5 years ago

The coil in question is the coin lock out activator. This is known as a constant coil. It is part of the solenoid circuit. It should pull in briefly during the coil test. Sometime you will hear it buzz. It prevents credits from being added after a game starts. If working, it will get fairly warm.

So the correct switch numbers appeared in switch test?

#2073 5 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

And the red hack wires routed thru the jagged hole in the door bracket? Not good.

good catch

#2085 5 years ago

Good call Mathazar ! I re-pin every connector in a game that I restore. I re-pinned 3 EBD's so far, even replaced housings. I even replace the 24 pin coin door plug and the 9 pin for the horseshoe drop to pf harness. It takes many hours to do but well work it to make the game reliable. I love tossing out the IDC connectors from EBD. I believe they have caused many issue over the years I'm sure.

#2094 5 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

I am in the middle of PF swap. It has cointaker #47 frosted LEDS for all GIs.
As I was putting on the new clear plastics I notice the frosted LEDS are to tall.
What are other people using for LEDs or incandescents?

That's odd. Which socket did you use?

#2096 5 years ago

That's weird. I have used CT frosted in many Bally games with no problems. On 2 EBD swaps I changed the 555 sockets to 47 for the switched lamps but kept the 555 on GI and the chase lamps on the upper part of the pf under the plastics. The 555 is closer to the top of the pf surface and the bulbs still fit under the plastics. Did you use the staple down type 47 socket? Can you post a pic or 2? There's about a half inch clearance under the plastics so it's hard to imagine the bulbs touching.

#2102 5 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Using a measuring tape original PF with 555 bulb is 7/16” above PF, w #47 led bulb well over 1/2”
Are there different heights on #47 leds?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I would contact CT. Chris and Melissa have great customer support. Now that your swap is almost complete it would suck if you had to put the 555 sockets back in the GI's. Maybe they have a shorter bulb in a different style. If you absolutely hate the 555 socket, there are bayonet style with a 3/4 inch bracket that would allow the bulbs to sit lower. Judging by your pics, you need a socket that comes no more than halfway through the socket holes of the PF. I just looked at Marco's sockets and most are out of stock. I know Pinball Resource has many sizes not list on the website. Call him if you dare LOL. I know that F2K uses the 3/4 bracket for the GI's so maybe they will work.

Sorry I don't have an easier solution.

#2105 5 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Vex-tor &amp; Lovef2k you guys are on the money, not sure why I didn’t see that.
Solution is other socket in pic
Cheers appreciate help.
[quoted image]

Test the fit with the old pf. You don't want the bulb to be too low either, will make them a pain to change a bulb.

#2108 5 years ago

Nice job Dave. The first EBD I had also had a bad 5101 chip. Anyway, I noticed when the ball hit the flippers, it made a the side drain sound effect. Check the outlane switches for adjustment.

#2123 5 years ago

To make a Bally game have "free play" with the Alltek, the left dip switch setting must me turned on.

https://www.allteksystems.com/pdfs/dip_ver8.pdf

#2124 5 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

To make a Bally game have "free play" with the Alltek, the left dip switch setting must me turned on.
https://www.allteksystems.com/pdfs/dip_ver8.pdf

If that doesn't work, then maybe it's an older version of the Alltek? I'm not sure if they are all free play for Bally. I would also return all the coin credit switch wires back to their original switches. The piece that is broken by the tilt bob is a capacitor. It helps the MPU see that a switch was closed. They are used on fast acting switches such as tilts, star roll overs, pop bumper and stand up targets like the yellow deluxe targets. No need to replace the one on the tilt since the game is being used in a home setting. These caps often fail from age. They can cause switch matrix problems when they short out. The value is .05 micro farad 25V rating. The .05 are hard to find these days but you can use a .047 which are more common. The switch matrix voltage is around 5V and most capacitors exceed 5V so just about any will do.

#2128 5 years ago

I was wondering about this myself. What I assume is the model number on the board (HS3 94V-0) doesn't match what Alltek has on their website now.

Contact Alltek customer support. They are very responsive, you should get an answer fairly quick.

#2133 5 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Me too. Would be great if the free play mode simply let the game start with zero credits and the credits could still be displayed. I have set replays/ex balls to just do knocks or points on a few other games but EBD is so Special oriented I just use that “keep a handful of credits on it” method.

Then why not just disable free play then? It's easy enough to switch back. I like to set games to earn extra balls instead. That's more a of challenge for me to beat my high scores.

#2135 5 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Exactly, I don’t use free play on EBD. If it didn’t require killing the credit display I’d use it just to save me from having to flick the coin switch once in a while. For me EBD is more of a “how many credits can I win in one game?” sort of machine. Five specials, the backglass Deluxe, three thresholds + high score, with the rewards maxed for them that’s 14 possible credits, and even that’s assuming you only win them once. I’ve never actually done it yet of course!

The DELUXE progressive on the back box is cool. Most people don't even realize it's there. My games have been in storage almost a year because of a recent move. I can't even remember the EBD bonuses lol. Hopefully I can start pulling all my games and parts from the storage unit this month since we are finally in the new house. The best thing I added is a welled stairway to the basement so now I can bring games right in w/o having to remove the backboxes.

3 weeks later
#2158 4 years ago
Quoted from srose007:

Hi All,
Just bought a 1981 EBD and it has a weird issue with the playfield lamps/1-7 and 8-15 ball (horseshoe) drop targets:
First of all, while all the targets are all standing, the 2, 5 and 6 ball lights next to the targets are out, and down at the bottom above the flippers, it shows the 2, 6 and 13 balls lit. For the second player (shooting stripes), it shows the 9, 10, 13 and 15 balls out and down below, the 13 ball is lit.
When the horseshoe drop targets are hit, it does the following:
Target Top, Bottom
------- ---- --------
1 Stays lit, 9 lights up
2 Out already, 2 goes out (instead of lighting up)
3 Properly goes out, 3 properly lights up
4 Properly goes out, 4 properly lights up
5 Stays lit, 1 lights up
6 Stays out, 10 lights up, 6 goes out
7 Properly goes out, 3 properly lights up
The striped balls have similar issues.
Any ideas of what may be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd prefer not to spend too much (if any) on a pinball repair specialist comin g to the house.
Best to all, and start chalking!
Steve

First thing you should do is put the game in self test mode. The first press of the red button inside the coin door puts the lamps in "burn in" and they will flash repeatedly while in test mode. Any lamps that do not flash have a shorted driver transistor or scr or a short in the wiring harness. Any that do not light either have a bad bulb, loose connection in the lamp socket, bad driver transistor. Often these bulbs will light after pulling them out and pushing back in. The 555 sockets are flaky and and get dirty because of their design. If you are new to pinball, turn the game off while checking under the playfield to prevent accidental shorting. Be sure to bend the sockets back to their original positions.
Open up the back box during the test. Turn game off and re-seat the connectors to the lamp driver and aux driver boards and see if anything changes. If it does, then you need to check and or replace the pins and also look for cold solder joints on the header pins. Push on the connectors while in test mode and if lamps start to light, this will tell you if there's a connector issue.

#2166 4 years ago
Quoted from srose007:

Thanks to both mathazar and lovef2k for that great info. I'm not too technical but believe I understand what you're saying and will try re-seating the connectors to those driver boards and see what happens. Hopefully I'll come back with another post soon saying everything is fixed! Much appreciated.

Good luck with it, I will be following up on your progress...

1 week later
#2186 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

My EBD (1984 version) doesn't have those dimples. Neither does my Mata Hari (1977).

It may have something to do with which vendor made the PF. I read that Bally used multiple source for PF's for the same titles. I have seen variations with the red outlane inserts on some EBD PF's where some were translucent and some opaque.

1 week later
#2203 4 years ago
Quoted from srose007:

One other QUESTION: I'd like to take the playfield completely out of the cabinet. Looks like one big, thick braid of wires under the playfield that connects to multiple pin connectors up in the back box. If I unplug all of those connectors in the back box and run the cables through the slot into the main cabinet, am I good to go or is something else connected that I'm not noticing? Thanks

If this is a 1981 EBD, yes you can remove the pf from the cab fairly easily. The connectors on the right side of the MPU and lamp driver board, and the left connectors of the solenoid driver come off. Also J5 from the sol driver. There a few other connectors in the backbox that need to be unplugged. Also J1 from the rectifier board.

2 weeks later
#2215 4 years ago
Quoted from Barkz:

My right bank of drop targets won’t reset after end of ball or end of game - anyone have any idea why and how to remedy?

If the saucer eject isn't firing either, then Q13 on the SDB has failed or the connection from the SDB to the solenoid expander is broken. The horseshoe target reset and the saucer are driven by Q13 if I read schematic correctly. The solenoid expander switches between the 2 when needed. If the saucer fires, then I would look at the coils on the target reset. There are 2 coils wired together since it's such a large bank to reset, I guess 1 coil wasn't strong enough. If the saucer is firing, then I would suspect the header pins on the solenoid expander (SEB) if all the other coils in the game are firing. I have seen cold solder joints on these before. Try pressing on the connector while doing the self test for the coils and see if the target resets

A less common problem would a failure at the 9 pin connector to the target bank or fried diode on the coils, bad solder joint to the coil lugs.

#2216 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

If the saucer eject isn't firing either, then Q13 on the SDB has failed or the connection from the SDB to the solenoid expander is broken. The horseshoe target reset and the saucer are driven by Q13 if I read schematic correctly. The solenoid expander switches between the 2 when needed. If the saucer fires, then I would look at the coils on the target reset. There are 2 coils wired together since it's such a large bank to reset, I guess 1 coil wasn't strong enough. If the saucer is firing, then I would suspect the header pins on the solenoid expander (SEB) if all the other coils in the game are firing. I have seen cold solder joints on these before. Try pressing on the connector while doing the self test for the coils and see if the target resets
A less common problem would a failure at the 9 pin connector to the target bank or fried diode on the coils, bad solder joint to the coil lugs.

I did read the schematic wrong, it's Q8 not 13. Goes to connector J510

#2217 4 years ago

If the bank resets for a new game then there's a switch problem. Check the leaf blades on the side. Sometimes they get bent from raising the pf and prop rod hitting them. There's alot going on in that area. Many diodes and caps that could break or short.

#2219 4 years ago
Quoted from Barkz:

The saucer is firing - what is the solenoid expander?

It's a small pcb under the playfield. It has a relay on it and a single connector going to it. It is there because there wasn't enough driver transistor on the main solenoid driver because of the 7 memory coils on the horseshoe bank. It switches between the 6 different coils controlled by it. 3 on one side of the relay and 3 on the other. One one line you have the 7 bank reset and the saucer controlled by a single transistor on the solenoid driver. If the relay failed, then there would be 3 coils or maybe even 6 coils that wouldn't fire. It should make a clicking sound when you put the game in self test, lamp test, first press of the red button on the coin door.

#2223 4 years ago
Quoted from Barkz:

Also now on power up that solenoid expander is rattling - it stops once the start up cycle is done

That's strange. Do all of the other coils fire after game boots? 3 presses of the red button puts it in solenoid test, wait a second between each press of the button. Take note of any coils that don't fire or fire twice before the re-start of the coil test. The coils will keep firing until you press the red button again or turn game off to reset it. 4th press of the red button is the switch matrix test. You should get a zero on the display with ball removed and all targets are reset.

As far as the chatter, it could be the relay or one of the components on the board is going bad. Or you're not getting 43V at the SEB (pin 9 yellow wire). I'm not sure where the SEB get's 43V from. Probably from the coil circuit on the PF. Try to follow it and look for a bad connection. If your voltage is good, remove the SEB and inspect the header pins reverse side for cracked/cold solder joints. Which version EBD do you have? Does it have 3 fuses or 1 fuse under the PF?

If you end up needing a SEB this is your best bet: https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html

#2224 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

If you put the game in lamp test listen to the solenoid expander relay...
If the relay is "buzzing/chattering" then change the lamp bridge.
If the relay is "clicking" then something else is wrong.

It's been my experience that the SEB should click when entering lamp test.

#2225 4 years ago

The lamp by the SEB should be working, flashing in lamp test. If not, change it with a standard bulb, not LED. So Vector is on to something. I forgot that the SEB depends on the lamp circuit as well to function.

#2227 4 years ago

You had the jumper on the wrong side of the switch lamp circuit. Or it was on the GI bus line, hard to tell from pic. The switched lamp bus line will have a bluish green wire soldered somewhere on the lamp insert panel trace wire. You can solder the jumper anywhere on that line. You don't want any trace wire that has a red and white wire of green and orange wire connected to them. Those are GI.

#2229 4 years ago

Sorry for the confusion but you are still tapping into the GI circuit. Note my last post when I said stay away from red, white, green and orange. There are 3 lamp circuits on the lamp panel, 2 GI and 1 switched lamp. The switched lamps are tilt, HSTD, game over, etc etc. Also the DELUXE progression lamps are switched. Panel trace wire is the bare wire that is stapled. The switched lamps on the panel will have a specific wire on one side of the socket and the other side soldered to the trace wire. This is where you need to attach the jumper. The trace side of the socket gets fed by the Sw lamp bus line. Usually by a single or sometimes doubled up Bluish colored wire. My EBD is broken down and put away for a future restore so I can't pinpoint it exactly for you.

I studied your photo but I can't seem to find the GI feed line, maybe it's hidden under the player 2 display bracket? Anyway it looks like a good place to attach the jumper is on the bare wire running along the bottom edge of your lamp panel. If you follow that line around the panel you should find the SW bus line feed soldered some place along that trace.

It may be possible that you blew the SW illumination fuse, or worse, the alltek board but let's hope it's only the fuse.

#2230 4 years ago

I just looked at your panel pick again and yes it looks like the Sw lamp feed is under the player 2 score bracket. From the back side of the panel when looking at it, you will 3 lamps under the bracket. The one to the right is GI, the middle and left are switched, on the middle lamp I see a wire on the top side of the socket, that should be it.

If you find a bad fuse, F1 20A fast blow, measure TP1, you should get about 5.5 to 6.5 VDC. If not, BR1 may be failing or fried. While you at it, inspect the fuse clips for F1 and F5. These are high current circuit that usually have badly tarnished clips that cause heat build up and extra current draw.

#2231 4 years ago

I meant to say measure voltage after replacing the fuse.

#2236 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Ugh!! Change the bridge BR1.
If one can not change the BR1 bridge, then one should buy a
replacement power supply bridge board.
1) Unplug lamp board connectors ( Main and AUX.)
2) Unplug playfield power connector J1 from power board... just to be sure.
3) Use an Ohm meter and test the BR1 bridge... If you do not have a test meter...
Then;
4) Unplug J3, J4, J2, along with J1. all are output connectors, leave J5 and J6 plugged in.
5) Use a good sacrificial 20 AMP fuse and replace F1.
6) Does the fuse blow?
-- Answer: No... Then a short some where.....
---------- Yes... Bad BR1...change BR1. If one cannot change BR1 then one should buy a replacement board.

You might also want to inspect the rectifier board, look for burnt traces under it, very common. If you decide to replace BR1, make sure you change out the fuse clips for F1 and 5. Big Daddy Ent. sells a nice rebuild kit for -54. I'm guessing BR1 blew out since that jumper wire was tied into the GI circuit. The GI circuit is AC voltage and switched lamps are DC. Hopefully the Alltek board survived!

#2246 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Can someone tell me what the behavior SHOULD be, in multiplayer, for the ball drop targets? Seems it’s tracking them fine with lights, but it’s doing all sorts of crazy nonsense with the drop target bank itself.
Works perfectly in single player but iirc it doesn’t drop/raise any targets between balls, it just leaves the bank as-is.

Run solenoid test and see if the memory coils are firing in order. Ball 1 and 2 for player 1 are controlled by the solenoid expander. Solenoid test is 3rd press of the red self test button.

#2250 4 years ago
Quoted from alimerick:

Are EBD 81 replacement wiring harnesses available? Specifically display harness. This harness is chewed up and covered with electrical tape in the large bundle. Looks like it has been pinched in back box door over time. Can go through and patch am sure but would rather replace. Turned on and displays are missing digits etc. moving the harness in the giant electrical tape bundle fixes this.

Third Coast Pinball can make you one. He has a store in the market place here on PS. Shoot him an email.

1 week later
#2261 4 years ago

I thought using a file was frowned upon due to wearing off coatings. I guess if it's not working otherwise I might as well though.

You are partly correct by not filing pinball switches. This applies to the PF low voltage switches that have gold flashed contacts. This type should only be cleaned with rubbing alcohol and a qtip. Or sliding a dollar bill between the contacts.

EOS and cab flipper switches are high current switches and are not gold flashed. They can be burnished with a burnishing tool or a fine grit sand paper if there's enough of the contacts still present. I would start with a 600 grit if not real bad or 400-200 if really pitted and dirty. You want to sand or burnish them by placing the media between the contacts and putting pressure to close the contacts this way the 2 contacts will file smoothly and help them mate together when they close. The normally closed EOS switch should only have about 2-3 ohms across at the solder points. Even new ones sometimes have high resistance due to a coating that is applied during mfg to protect the contacts. So new ones should be cleaned as well.

2 weeks later
#2269 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've created these custom apron cards, and am making them available for $10 per set, including US postage. I print these on a photo printer using OEM ink (no cheap third party) and OEM ultra gloss photo paper. I then cover in 3 mil clear gloss laminate, and razor cut to size.
Please PM me if interested.[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm in for 3 sets

1 week later
#2277 4 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Eight ball, not eight ball deluxe

It has IDC connectors so it's most likely from an EBD

#2278 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've created these custom apron cards, and am making them available for $10 per set, including US postage. I print these on a photo printer using OEM ink (no cheap third party) and OEM ultra gloss photo paper. I then cover in 3 mil clear gloss laminate, and razor cut to size.
Please PM me if interested.[quoted image][quoted image]

Received the cards in no time flat. Very happy with the quality and service from Mr_Tantrum . Pics in original EBD apron:

P7260060 (resized).JPGP7260060 (resized).JPGP7260061 (resized).JPGP7260061 (resized).JPGP7260063 (resized).JPGP7260063 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#2311 4 years ago

You need a .05 mfd cap there. if you can't find one you can use a .047 which is more common. The switch circuit uses very low voltage so you can get away with using a cap with a voltage rating of 10v or more.

1 week later
#2328 4 years ago
Quoted from DigitalJB:

Hello 8BD world! I am brand new here and the proud new owner of an 8BD. Picked it up over the summer and it actually plays pretty well for being close to 40 years old. The game would cut out after about 8 games and just die while in mid game. Found some time to work on it and decided to start changing out the boards. Started with MPU, Solenoid, and Light Board. Ordered from Marco (but really All Tek) and it did not fix the problem. Still happy to change out the boards as they were terrible looking. Not afraid to put some money into this game. After a little more digging and some help (over the phone) from Dave at All Tek (really cool guy) the power board inside was FUBAR. Just put the board in today and now "All Systems Go". Next step is to switch over to LED lights which I have in hand now.
Question 1: Do other 8BD owners like the switch over to LED'S?
Question 2: What has been the life of the newer boards so far? Any major Issues?
Question 3: Since I am not sure if the boards were original that came with it do they hold any value? Should I have them redone for originality reasons
Question 4:Does anyone have a copy of the original owners manual I could purchase, get a copy of somehow?
Would love to be able to set the dip switches 1-32 in the right order. A pic of the right order would be awesome
Thanks! DigitalJB
[quoted image][quoted image]

If you are going to switch to LED bulbs, keep in mind that this era of Bally games has #555 lamp sockets. I have restored 3 EBD games and from my experience, the plastic bases on the LED lamps are not very compatible or user friendly with the LED lamp base. It takes a lot of effort to seat them in the sockets and sometimes the connections are flaky. If your game has the lamp board pcb's under the playfield, then it won't be as difficult. Also when switching to LED's you will see the lamps flicker or strobe. The reason for this is that the LED lamp doesn't draw enough current as the original 555 lamp and this causes switching issues on the lamp driver board, mostly all Bally and Sterns from late 70's to early 80's will do this. Luckily there solutions for this. The easiest is changing the original lamp driver and aux lamp driver to Alltek. They have a built in fix for this by running a jumper wire to the switched lamp bus wire.

Also make sure you get the correct manual for your game. Although very similar, there are slight differences in wiring and colors of the wires between the 81 version and the LE. Not sure about the Bally-Midway version though.

One way to tell if a board is original to the game is to match serial numbers from boards to the cabinet. This isn't always 100% because arcades back in the day may have had more than one particular game and sometimes the heads would get mixed up.

#2333 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Yeah the comet ones I have just don’t fit right. Just too tight I did just break a socket trying to put one in.. There’s got to be a smaller led to fit these games.

I used Cointaker for 555's on a EBD. I like theirs because they have dual contacts on both sides of the base. They are still very tight and they only seem to seat when they are pushed in just right. There's no wiggle room at all and my fingers got sore after installing them. I wonder if bulb grease would help. Try applying a little on the sides of the lamp base. The 2 EBD's I restored after the first one got all new bayonet sockets. I only kept the 555 for the GI's to keep the top side of the PF looking original.

#2341 4 years ago
Quoted from DigitalJB:

How could I get a set of those cards?

Ok, I wouldn't swap out the playfield lamps if you are planning on restoring it. It's too much work. But yes, removing the PF from the cab would make things easier. But you will need something to support the PF. If you have some 2x6's lying around make a box about a 1/2 wider on the inside dimension than the PF. Then nail some 1x2 lumber on the inside about a 1/2 down so that the PF can sit inside of it. Also be careful about spreading the contacts in the 555 sockets, this can weaken the connection, especially if you go back to standard bulbs.

Over $1500 for an EBD PF is ludicrous!! CPR just did them 3 years ago for the second time so I wouldn't wait for them. Keep your eye on Outside Edge because they may do a hardtop for EBD.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prototyping-a-hardtop-high-speed

Send a PM to Mr_tantrum for the custom apron cards. He can set the game award score to your taste and he works fast. No BS!

1 week later
#2348 4 years ago
Quoted from DigitalJB:

My 8BD has 4 lights out on Playfield, 3 near drop targets (The first three stripe balls) and then on the left ramp the extra ball lamp is out. Any suggestions on how to pinpoint the break???? There is a pretty ugly hack at the aux light board where they wire nutted 3 wires and then soldered across the three connections on pins that hook into board. Could it possibly be the hack from the previous owner on the aux light board? How could I get a new pin connector that would plug into board? I have a new aux board but need to fix hack before I install it.
Thanks!

Big Daddy Enterprises or Great Plains Electronics. You need .156 header pins. You will need a decent de-soldering tool to remove the old header. Be careful not to damage the pads or traces on the board. The aux lamp driver has a weak ground. I think I read earlier in this thread about it. I think there's an extra pin or 2 that Bally didn't use so there's room for a ground mod?

#2349 4 years ago
Quoted from iluvak9:

So, what I am being told is that the brand new reproduction MPU that has been in the machine for a week is bad?

Anything can happen in pinball! When you were checking the lamps, did you inadvertently move anything that could have caused a short? Otherwise if you have an Alltek or Weebly MPU, both have great customer service to help you.

#2352 4 years ago
Quoted from Waderade812:

Check the +43 volt on the power supply board in the cabinet, I believe you will find fuse F-4 blown a 5 amp fuse. It may be a coil somewhere on the playfield or the coin door. Check your coil resistance on all playfield coils and coin door. I believe you will find a short on one of them. Anything less than 2.5ohms is a bad coil.

Should still get 6 flashes with blown F4 though. He's only getting 4 or 5?

#2358 4 years ago
Quoted from DigitalJB:

Left Lane Rollover not working. Will score with a light rollover, will not score every time. Found snowflake falling apart so ordered and changed. Still no go, ordered actual insert assembly. Any advice on how to change insert? Also, switch is old but looks like it can be cleaned. Is there supposed to be a piece of white plastic on actually switch assembly for snowflake to hit?
Thanks!

The snowflake is often referred to as the star rollover. You don't need to change the rollover usually only the star part unless the star is popping out. It is held in place by a small nub where it pushes on the leaf switch and also by the prongs under the orange part of the insert. If the nub on the star is worn, you can replace only that part without having to remove the insert.
The usual cause for the switch to be intermittent is poor adjustment of the leaf blades or bad capacitor. This switch needs to be adjusted fairly close due to the speed that the ball runs over it but not too close as vibration from the pop bumpers or drop targets may activate it. Clean switch contacts with rubbing alcohol and something soft like a qtip or cotton ball.

#2361 4 years ago
Quoted from firefighter:

What part number would that capacitor be as I been having the same trouble sometimes?

The original capacitor is a .05 micro farad. 10V rating I think should be fine as the switch voltage is 5V I think. The .05mfd is hard to come by so use a .047mfd.

3 weeks later
#2371 4 years ago
Quoted from trimoto:

Hello folks sure glad to hear hardtop is going to put together the Eight Ball deluxe hard topper I'm definitely getting one of those. I've been stumped on this one now I have an issue with ball trought coil game comes on everything works but the ball trough coil does not kick hard enough to make the ball all the way over to Shooter Lane I've replaced the coil replaced of mechanism it just twitches whenever it should be firing I went to test mode and I noticed during test mode it does the same twitch but I see that one of the drop targets may be more are also twitching If eneyone else delt with this issue I could use some help .
Thanks James

First verify that you have 43V at the outhole coil (trough). Is this a new issue or did you get the game in this state? I ask because the wrong type of coil may have been installed at the outhole. Should be a 3 lug coil there. Also which drop targets are moving when you test the coils with outhole coil. It's seams like there could be a problem at the solenoid driver board. Make sure the lamp under the PF is working when the SEB clicks. The SEB controls the outhole, saucer, 7 drop target reset, 4 target inline DT bank reset, the 1-9 ball DT memory coil and the 2-10 ball DT memory coil. 6 circuits in all, 3 on each side of the relay on the SEB. Check the SEB header pins for cold solder joints, re-seat the connector. When putting game in self test, 1st push of the red button, the SEB should click loudly in synch with the PF lamps flashing.

1 month later
#2393 4 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

On my EBD sometimes the ball will get stuck on top of DT when drop targets are down. There is no adjustment like the in-line target.
What’s the fix?
Place something under DT raising there height.

If you have a cpr PF in there, this will happen due to clear coat and extra thickness of the wood. Yes shim something under the drop targets to raise them. I use 1/16 in. thick washers.

2 weeks later
#2410 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Can’t wait! Think I might replace inserts as well[quoted image]

Thanks for posting! Ordered mine just now!

1 week later
#2416 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Thanks for posting! Ordered mine just now!

Anybody receiver their hard top yet? Mine is supposed to be delivered this Monday.

#2419 4 years ago

Funny you should ask. Mine JUST arrived. Can't wait to screw up another one of these installs

Practice makes perfect!

#2433 4 years ago
Quoted from LargemouthAss:

Just checked the tilt mech and roller tilt. No change.

Clip one lead of all the capacitors related to the tilt mechs, you have 1 under the PF, 3 on the tilt board inside the cab and slam switch inside coin door. Shorted caps can cause all kinds of problems. Solder them back together if no change. I know you said the credit switch is working but double check that the leaf switch is not touching the coin door when pressed. This happens when the fish paper insulator wears , could just be a tiny pinhole but enough to cause a short.

Other things to try: Do a memory clear on the Alltek MPU per instructions. Since you are on free play, make sure the credit counting feature is turned off per Alltek instructions. Disconnect Squawk and Talk board and see if you can start a game. Once I had a Xenon with an early version Alltek SDU board and the sound would not work or sometimes would be distorted. I discovered that the output voltage to the sound board from the Alltek was just a little too high and when going back to the original SDU the problem went away.

#2435 4 years ago
Quoted from LargemouthAss:

Turned out there was a loose wire on the roller tilt. Working great now!

4 weeks later
#2483 4 years ago

Wordy post, sorry in advance!
My friend talked me out of selling my EBD (it was slated to be my next hardtop, and given the nightmare my high speed has been, I'm just not feeling it now) because he volunteered to do all the work on it without completely gouging my eyes out from a cost perspective (eg $300-400). It's got a decent cab, but it's not perfect. It doesn't need a full on repaint, but a light touch on 'refreshing' it could do wonders. Anyway, I'm not planning on doing anything with that, at least right now.
So, scenario time:
I've got $1015 in it as it sits (machine+hardtop cost) so clearly I've got some leeway in bringing it back. It has the following issues:
-backglass is delaminating in BIG sections; thinking this is likely past any sort of reasonable repair. The Shay backglass is the best I've seen and will run me about $375.
-plastics are junk and need replaced. CPR set is $150, Shay is $170. No idea which is 'better' as Shay doesn't have any pictures
-already has an Alltek board but the other boards are stock and likely haven't ever been worked on. Probably need to send those out to my board guy to check out/repair any issues. I want to LED anyway so I assume the lamp driver board will need attention.
-Everyone knows the '81 lamp sockets are heinous, so those will be replaced also. I was planning on going with bayonet, unless there's some reason not to?
-several wiring hacks soldered directly on to the boards to undo/repin with new connectors etc
-Legs are gross painted black; I could have my powdercoat guy make them beautiful.. Should I? Anything else I should have him do while it's apart? Rails, lockbar, etc?
-I'm sure there will be various parts that need ordered to replace worn or non working components. Figuring $100-200 here.
So with the backglass, plastics, misc parts, and labor costs I'll be around $2000-2200, and more if I do board work, powdercoating, etc. I definitely don't mind being invested in this game for "what it's worth" but I always worry about going overboard and being way upside down. Say this were to stretch out to $2500 or so but at the end of it I had a hardtopped '81 EBD with new plastics and glass plus nice powdercoated accents, fully LED with sockets swapped and fixed/reworked boards... $2500 isn't bad at all, right? I mean, it's certainly 'up there' by pinside historical numbers but iirc none have been recorded sold with hardtops yet.
Thanks for reading my ridiculously long post

I don't think that you can put too much money into ebd. I have done 3 high end ebd restores. They sold between 4800 and 5300 in the early 2010s and in 2018 for 7750. There's always a good market for ebd. A good investment imo. I have 3 more ebds to do and look forward to see what they go for.

#2490 4 years ago

I'm going with bayonet style on mine. I absolutely hate wedges. Not going to use those any time I get a choice.

Yes definitely bayonet. Except for me on EBD Gi lamps on the upper play field I kept the 555 sockets where you can see them under the clear plastics to keep the original look. It's hard to find bayonet sockets that will keep the bulb above the pf surface without the side of the socket being visible.

#2496 4 years ago
Quoted from Pingball:

Is the issue everyone has with the wedges that they come loose?
Just joined the 1981 EBD club and going to be doing the final touches to make it perfect. Will be switching to LED's so may as well get the right bulb holders if it's worth it.

My issue was adding LED lamps. The tolerance is too tight and the contacts were flaky. 555 lamps sockets are no longer made so you will have issues with them breaking and the contacts worn out. I switched over to bayonet on 2 ebd swaps. Well worth it.

#2500 4 years ago

Can someone who is absolutely 100% sure their '81 has original legs show me what theirs look like? I'm trying to sort out among three sets from a high speed, a meteor, and the EBD I got and I want to be certain I'm powdercoating the right set. All three of these sets were painted -- poorly -- and I'm not sure what goes where, ASSUMING any of them are even original.

Bally EBD legs are 28.5 inches. No ribs along the outside 90 degree edge. The bottom where the leg leveler screws on the bottom will not be rounded off like Sterns. Will be a sharp 90 degree angle.
Original color charcoal grey.

Meteor about the same except the bottom plate is rounded off. Medium grey or black.

HS originally were chrome.

#2504 4 years ago

I would do the same. Those might be the original HS legs. Scrape that black and see if there's chrome under the paint. There may have been surface rust that somebody wanted to cover up.

#2506 4 years ago

Mmmmm... Possibly. I think HS looks okay with the WPC legs I robbed off my WSC, so I'll probably just leave them be. I don't think I'm gonna go stupid with powdercoating on that one because I'm not entirely convinced it's a long term keeper once (if) I finish this hardtop. Looks close enough to what the ad showed for my tastes.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Ha, I know what ya mean. I have 2 HS to restore. One will be a nos pf and the other is a hard top. The Nos I had auto cleared since the factory clear was crap.

#2508 4 years ago

My shooter lane was trashed and I went WAY too far trying to make it right.. which it isn't, and won't ever be I don't think...I need to just paint the stupid thing and move forward. It's been an awful experience--to no fault of Outside Edge. I hope it goes smoother once I half ass the shooter lane enough to call it "finished". I've become very jaded lol
I was ready to--reluctantly--dump this EBD just at the thought of having to do this again

Well I think you won't have as much work doing the hardtop on EBD. It only has 1 star roll over not 2. No ramps or habitrails to deal with. Less weight than HS. I don't recall the issue with your HS shooter lane. If you're not happy with, try stripping to bare wood and use a wood bleaching product, this may remove the dark stains. It's worth a shot. There may also be a vinyl product similar to contact paper that has adhesive that you can apply if you can find it with a wood grain pattern? I'm going to look into that...

#2510 4 years ago

EBD just got dropped 2 hours south, with a friend of mine. He wants to suffer through a hard top and I was all but resigned to selling it and buying a different one later. It's in far better hands with him than it would have been with me.
I snagged the metal pieces to drop for powdercoating.
On HS I just got way too aggressive and I've been trying to dig my way out. I'm sure it'll be fine, but it's not been a fun experience. I'm just going to paint the ball trough and clear it. Who cares at this point, I'm over dwelling on it.[quoted image]

So you sold EBD or is he just working on it?

#2512 4 years ago

Didn't sell. Took my friend up on an offer I couldn't refuse and farmed out the work. He's far better suited to take it on. I'm going to try to lightly touch up a few spots on the cab when he's done--hoping to avoid completely repainting--but we'll see how it goes. He's got a lot ahead.
Here's the laundry list:
-hardtop
-bulb socket swap to bayonets
-board bulletproofing (MPU already replaced with an Alltek)
-powdercoating rails/lockbar/legs/rear glass channel, high gloss black
-cabinet touch up / restencil if needed
-new plastics, planning on buying the CPR set
-new backglass, planning on buying from Shay
-whatever else pops up along the way
I figure this will take a while--i told him not to make this a priority. But I'm over the money worries, and I'm ready to make this thing gorgeous.

Good deal! Another thing I would do is change out those damn IDC connectors and replace with standard Molex. Mainly on the MPU and solenoid driver. Also replace the high current fuse clips on the -54 if it's still original. They tend to overheat and tarnish causing a higher than normal current draw. Those 2 fuses run the GI lamps. IIRC it's F2 and F5 but double check for sure.

1 week later
#2519 4 years ago

My friend is saying that since I dropped off my EBD he's had no sound (he says there's a hum but nothing else?). When it was here the sound worked fine but the pitch was a bit high -- not alvin high, but higher than it 'should' be. Alas, no sound now and he's pretty sure everything got plugged back in correctly. Does the pitchiness hint at any particular reason why it might have altogether stopped working when I drove it 2 hours south to deliver to him? I'm a bit stumped tbh

Flaky sound and or speech volume pots
Re-cap sound board.

#2522 4 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Sound test from the menu showed no results. I assume from the card you mean the board? I have not tried. Is that the red button in thre top left corner?[quoted image]

Yes sound board. The volume pots on these are notorious for failure since dirt and oxidation gets in them. It looks like one of yours is missing the blue cap? Sometimes sound will return if you turn the pots a few times to loosen the crud in them. But since he mentioned the sound was funny before it's possible that it just new caps. That happened to me before.

#2523 4 years ago

Also I'm not seeing the 2 pin connector that goes to the speaker. Easy to miss since it's so small. I think it goes to J2 on the S&t board.

#2526 4 years ago

Replace both posts. Double check the volume pot at coin door and the connection there also. Also count how many flashes you get on the sound board's led upon powering up.

#2532 4 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Well after messing with the sound and speech pots I now have speech. But still no sounds. Checked the manual, setting 18 is set to 03 which is most all scoring has noise with background sound. The red button made him say all the sayings. But no other noises. Wondering if maybe there is an alltek setting off with the dipswitches.
I definitely have a 24pin plug in the head that needs repinned ASAP. It is dark brown and gets very hot.[quoted image]

The owner said the sound worked prior to moving the game so I would think the dips are correct. I never saw that 24 pin connector get burned in any of the Bally games I ever had. If it's getting hot, you need to investigate the power supply. Have you looked at the Pinwiki site for Bally/ Stern games? Sorry to say but I think you have some work to do! Since you have speech, the S&T is booting properly. Perhaps the sound pot is bad or the IC chip for sound went out. U12 AY3-8912. U8 is for speech so you know that is good.

#2536 4 years ago

AFAIK that connector has been that exact amount of burnt the entire time I've owned it, and probably for yeeeeears before. I noted that when I was looking it over upon bringing it down to my basement. Weird it never had any sound issues until I brought it back up and delivered it elsewhere but I'm not surprised to hear the boards could need some work. I highly doubt they've ever been worked on.

Weird and unexpected things can happen to a 40 year old pin that wasn't designed for this life expectancy.

I Have stripped down pins for restoration that worked but then would have a locked on transistor on Sol driver board after reinstall or other problems w lamp etc. He should investigate and see which wire is getting hot on that connector and trace it.

#2538 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Couple quick observations on the EBDLE I recently picked up. This game has a standard Bally coindoor decal (some have the Bally/Midway) and it has the cream and gold apron (most I've seen have the black and red Bally apron). I'm guessing this could be from using up stock of the old aprons. I suppose it could have been from a pf swap where an owner of an EBD 81 wanted a nicer playfield, but why not swap aprons. This one also has full sockets underneath, no lamp boards, like later ones.
I am in need of 2 plastics, if anyone can help. I need a the plastic that covers the 8 ball target and one of the inlane plastics is broken. Also, one of the horseshoe targets was replaced with a red generic one, so I could use a used original if anyone has one of those also. I think that's all from my initial once over.
Thanks,
RC

RC. The bally midway coin sticker was used on the 84 version ebd. The LE was still only Bally.
You could be right about the apron. Especially if it's an early one. Check serial number. Bally found ways to save money. The LE was born because they needed a way to use up those weird cabs that were originally designed for Rapid Fire and was a huge flop. So Centaur 2 and Mr. and Mrs. Pacman were also born.

The lamp socket thing is unknown weather original or not. Your assumption seems right that it probably was swapped from an original ebd. If you have the original LE manual compare wire colors on the schematic. I'm pretty sure the colors were slightly different from 81 ebd to Le. If the pf was swapped whoever did it had a ton of modifications to do on the wiring harness due to the weird configuration of the board layout and design not to mention converting the lamp sockets to wired individually. See if you can find a year stamped on the edge of the pf.

I probably have some used horseshoe targets.

#2542 4 years ago

I'll double check for that date. Regarding the coin door decal, I was going by the IPDB owner submitted pics. Flyer shows Bally decal, owner pics show Bally/Midway. Just figured they changed part way through production. No biggie to me. Just happy to have the game.

I see different coin door stickers on ballys all the time. It wouldn't make sense to have the black sticker since LE wasn't a Midway. Doors get swapped often due to break ins and abuse.

#2545 4 years ago

Date code on the pf is March 1981, so it was a swap. Dammit, who stole my playfield, lol?

That makes sense since production started April 81

#2547 4 years ago

Date code on the pf is March 1981, so it was a swap. Dammit, who stole my playfield, lol?

After reading orbians post I decided to look up LE on the ipdb and I read some interesting facts. The LE did come with a black coin door sticker though the flyer shows the original Bally.
It also came with both styles of the switched lamp single sockets and the board style sockets. They must have switched in mid production. Black apron.
It also has green lamp sockets which I have only seen on LE and 1983 84 version. So it looks like you probably have the original PF in there if you have the green sockets. First ebd has white. The early date stamp really may only mean they made more play fields than games and you have an early LE.

#2551 4 years ago

GI sockets seem to be white also.

GI sockets white and switched lamps green or all of then white?

#2553 4 years ago

White for gi and a mixture of white and green for controlled lamps.[quoted image]

Hmm, maybe yours was in the transition phase from white to green sockets. Do you have a single fuse or triple fuse block under the PF?

#2556 4 years ago

There is a single fuse near the right flipper mech.

I agree with @vec-tor. AFIAK, only the original EBD had the single fuse. But in order to swap a classic ebd pf into an LE cab, some minor wiring mods had to be done for the switched lamps behind the back glass due to the cab configuration. If you have an LE manual, I would compare some random wire colors from the pf to the schematics and see if they match up. If not you might want to buy a classic manual as well.

#2559 4 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Pinball Resource. I just ordered new bayonet sockets and wire. Sockets are part # A2916, .92 each, and the wire is on the Tools/Supplies tab under Material. Part # is MAT-PF-BRAID, .20 per foot. I ordered 20 feet, I have no idea how much I'll need.
You should also order one each of the A2913 and A2914 laydown sockets. The A2913 goes right underneath the upper drop target bank reset coil, and the A2914 goes under the star rollover on the left side.

That's great info. Are the pbr sockets single or double solder tabs? What gauge is the trace wire?

#2561 4 years ago

Could the pcbs be re-engineered by the folks over at https://pinballreplacementparts.com?
I used their pcbs for my Meteor and love them.

Probably not enough demand for them to make it worth making them....

You have to add new connectors to your wiring harness anyway which is enough work. I think once you have bayonets in there and LEDs you won't have to think about it anymore. Plus with the PCBs you still need to used wedge base lamps.

3 weeks later
#2602 4 years ago

Since they are on constantly I would think it could be an issue. when I switched to bayonet I left the 555 in the GI and the chase lamps. You can go with a shorter bracket bayonet.

#2609 4 years ago

They're may not have ever been a more perfect hardtop candidate.

yeah that one pretty rough. I bought the hard top for the old pf and will install it after I put in a CPR. Then will offer it for sale.

#2612 4 years ago

I have 3 EBD restores lined up. I can't wait to get started. I have a CPR repro from a couple years ago plus to original pf's that CPR re-screened after I sanded them to bare wood and reset the insert lenses. Also have 2 Shay back glasses and one NOS. I will start with the cab restoration this summer hopefully.

#2618 4 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

What was the issue with the High Speed hardtop? I want to do one on my EBD someday...but have to admit that I'm a bit intimidated by it.

It's all in the prep. Watch the vids in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-new-prototype-playfield-product

#2619 4 years ago

3 EBD restores! Lol.
I pawned mine off on a friend because I didn't want to take it on... Disheartened by my high speed hardtop (feeling much better about it now) I was ready to just sell EBD and move on when he insisted I didn't and volunteered to do it for me. Kinda miss having it in my lineup.. It's gonna be a bit before I see mine again.. But eventually, we'll be reunited!

Yeah brutha! I have done 8 high end restores since entering the hobby in 2008. 3 of which were '81 version EBD. I'm a glutton for punishment. 2 of the 3 EBD will be up for sale when finished hopefully by spring 2021.

#2628 4 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

I was going through my settings for the upper left lane star rollover. It doesn’t seem in sync with what the manual shows. Looking at the schematic I think the wires for my 70,000, Special, 50,000 and Extra Ball are all mixed up. Can someone please confirm the wiring colors for these 4 lights? Thanks.[quoted image]

I would say that was an error by whoever changed the sockets. It's easy to mix the wires since the base colors are all red with a hash mark. I have done 3 EBD swaps and I noticed that the colors have faded on these wires.

#2630 4 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

I’ve had the game for a few years and never noticed that lane was wired wrong. It’s only because I was trying to change the settings to bump up the scoring that I noticed something wasn’t right.

Yeah you never know what the game has been through before you get it. But I have seen minor errors in the wiring from factory during swaps. I bought a Spy hunter a while ago and noticed the GI flasher didn't work. I had another spy hunter at the time to compare to. Even after changing the flasher board it still didn't work. After comparing the 2 games, I found that the non-working one was wired totally wrong at the connectors. Once corrected, flasher started to work. It had to be a factory error, I can't see why anyone would have messed with the GI wiring.

#2636 4 years ago
Quoted from pfcjimmy:

The three were just a little too big but the others were way too small. Ended up drilling the plastic holes to fit.
Here is my before and after.
New hardtop, drop targets, pop bumpers, plastics, posts, rubber, flipper rebuild, LEDs, and cue ball shooter rod.
Thanks to firefighter for the advice on the hardtop prep![quoted image][quoted image]

I think the holes on the new plastics are the correct size. Except for the 3 larger ones you had there. When changing the new plastics I used to melt the bell stands into the plastic with a soldering iron. Taking a soldering iron with an old tip, place the stand on the tip and line up the flared end of the stand to the hole and use the heat from the iron and slowing press them in. It takes practice and patience to do it this way. An old trick I saw on another thread. This way is time consuming and I always ended up with melted plastic in the holes of the stands that had to be cleaned out with a dremel so that the screw could pass through. I also had a few slip ups and ruined some plastics.

The bell stands are actually 2 pieces. If you look inside with a magnifying glass you can see what looks like an eyelet and it's pressed in. When installed they must have used some type of press to flare them over and set them in. I now use Gatecrasher technique which is to "un-flare", if you will, the upper part of the stand until it's small enough to pass through the holes. The best tool that I have found to do this is a cheapie type wire crimper that usually comes in an auto connector/fuse kit. Like this one:
https://smile.amazon.com/Ancor-701007-Cut-Strip-Crimp/dp/B000NI3ELG/ref=sr_1_95

Just keep working it around while crimping down so the top of the stand stays round and not egg shaped. I then use a center punch with coned shape tip to re-flare them. They don't get as tight as factory but good enough to hold them while installing to PF.

#2637 4 years ago

Actually the tool I posted in the previous post is wrong. It's this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/Four-Way-Wire-Crimper-Stripper-Tool/dp/B082J66C7C/ref=sr_1_105

I start with the red dot and then go to the blue dot until I get the correct diameter.

#2656 4 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

I'm rebuilding the R flipper prior to the pf swap and noticed that the EOS switch stack is more complicated than the L. Anyone know who is selling that particular stack?

Are you sure it's not the left flipper? If the pf is facing downward then it would appear to be the right.

#2657 4 years ago

Without me doing a whole slew of digging, what's the 'best' way to approach swapping these standoffs onto new plastics? Mine are all yellowed or broken, so I'm just going to buy a new set.[quoted image]

My method of choice is to use a cheapie soldering iron like this one with a fat tip on it

https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Iron-Kit-Temperature-Rarlight/dp/B07PDK3MX1/ref=sr_1_8

Place the tip on top of the stand-off and press until it gets hot and they pop right out. Let them fall on something like an old piece of plywood so the heat doesn't damage your table or floor, of course let them cool before you touch them.

#2658 4 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

I'm rebuilding the R flipper prior to the pf swap and noticed that the EOS switch stack is more complicated than the L. Anyone know who is selling that particular stack?

For the left flipper you need 2 switches. Each stack together as one. If you staying with the linear type flippers, use these: inside switch closest to the flipper pawl, normal closed switch is ASW-A20-34 and the outer switch that is normally open that powers the upper flipper is ASW-A10-45. Both can be found on Marcospec. You can also use this switch that has both switches as one unit, Midway part number: #A365-00046-0000. Marco also has that. Many people complain that there is a lag on the upper flipper due to the outer switch's delay. This can be eliminated by bypassing the secondary switch and connecting the 2 wires together. This can be done because the upper flipper has it's own EOS.

The right flipper just needs the ASW-A20-34

#2664 4 years ago

I'm full of questions today, sorry. Can anyone tell me what is SUPPOSED to go here?[quoted image]

There should be pin there.
.062 diameter. It prevents the ball from resting there.
The white insert is 1 inch insert. Try Planetary pinball. Or Pinball Resource.

#2665 4 years ago

The pin is stainless steel. Marco has 12 inch rods that you can buy in various sizes. The pin is approximately 1.25 inches long.

#2669 4 years ago

I found this randomly in my loose parts box.. This isn't what I need, is it? No idea where it came from.[quoted image]

Yeah that looks like it. Throw in the tumbler if you're using one to shine parts. 2 days at least with medium to fine walnut crushed walnut shell

The lens looks correct.

#2675 4 years ago

The red arrow is the correct spot. The hole could have been stretched out if the pin was loose. You can also try a larger size pin if you don't want to fill the hole and drill. The pin is barely visible once fully assembled.

#2679 4 years ago

So should that spot with the black arrow just be filled prior to hard top install?
//EDIT I guess I could just have him verify against whatever exists on the hardtop itself.
Also, I guess we're going to just look at replacing all these inserts because they're kind of crummy anyway. Are all the bigger ones 1"? And are all the smaller ones a single size also?
Thanks for helping with all my dumb questions, I appreciate it!

Don't fill. I think the metal ball gate goes there. Lay the plastics over the holes to verify the other holes. and yes check against the hardtop as well

#2687 4 years ago

Haha I tried to delete that before anyone saw because I felt like a doofus after looking at my reference pic. Isn't that hole in the PF a LOT wider than this? Maybe my PF has some hack job nonsense there...

Quoted from phillyfan64:

A couple more of the lower and upper left.[quoted image][quoted image]

The pics are confusing to me, I would rather go by the schematic. If no wires were connected to the outer EOS switch on the lower flipper, odds are somebody connected those 2 wires to bypass the EOS. Some ops/techs prefer this because it eliminates the lag when pressing the left flipper button. The lag is caused by the delay of the lower left flipper having to engage to close the outer EOS switch. Although the lag IMO is very minimal. The problem with this method is that you have a larger current draw when the 2 flipper coils engage at the same time. You may notice the GI lamps or switched lamps dimming when activating the left flippers.

If you have the manual, find the page in the schematics that shows the switch matrix, next to that is the coil schematic diagram and the flipper coils and EOS switches are at the top. On the upper right hand corner of the page in a block you should see GW-1192-40c. This is the page you want. I'm assuming that you know how to read these. Just to clarify for you. The lower left flipper has 2 different types of EOS. The inside switch is "normally closed" Meaning it needs the flipper pawl to move/turn and force it to open. On the schematic it will note NC for normally closed and show the switch symbol with the contacts touching which also indicates normally closed. All 3 flippers need a NC EOS switch. The outer EOS for the lower left flipper is normally open, "NO" which will show contacts open on the schematic.

Looking at your pic in post 2682, I can where the problem is. First somebody used a universal EOS switch. As it appears, this will not work with the outer switch that you removed. Did you notice before you removed if the outer switch closed when engaging the flipper? The 2 EOS switched have to work together, meaning when the inner EOS starts to open, the outer one starts to close. There should be white plastic lifter that pushes against the leaf blade to force the outer EOS closed.

See this switch from Marco, this is the correct setup for EBD lower left flipper:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A365-00046-0000

This is the lifter I was referring to:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-5258

I see how they powered up the left flipper from your pic. The black wire with white hash marks is soldered directly to the power side of the coil. This is one of the wires that goes to the outer EOS, the far end of the switch to be exact. You will see the other end of that wire at the upper flipper coil. So that's a hack.

The other side of the outer EOS should be a green wire, which is tapped off of the non-banded side outer lug of the coil. So you should have the green wire coming from the pf harness at the lower left flipper AND a green wire from the same tap to the outer EOS switch. This makes it more confusing because the hacker used green wires for the inner EOS switch when they should be brown. To simplify, you should have 2 green wire solder to the non-banded side of the diode outer lug, one from the main harness and or short green wire to the outer EOS.

I will try to scrape up some clear pics from one of my EBD restores and post them.

#2690 4 years ago

These latest pics help a lot. It seems like the 2 switches together are working fine. I can't see why someone bypassed it unless they didn't know how to wire it up? You can make minor adjustments on the EOS by bending the leaf blades if needed. You can that the inner EOS blade with the lifter is already tweeked, maybe you need to look at that? But since you say the flippers are working, you can leave it be, unless you are not happy with the performance. If the flippers are sloppy, try changing out the pawls-cranks since the nylon on those tends to wear quickly.

#2694 4 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Post #245 from Gatecrasher on this thread also has some detailed pictures.

Gatecrasher (Jeff) is the EBD king! His pic from post 245 is the best one so far. See the black/white wire goes to the outer tab of the EOS? And the inner tab gets the brown wire jumped over to the coil lug with the green/yellow wire which is the non banded diode side of the coil as shown in my schematic. So you know what you need to do there. To make it kosher, I would order the correct Bally replacement inner EOS part ASW-A20-34. You already have the ASW-A10-45, the one that had the clipped wires. Make sure you get the Bally type, not the Gottlieb equivalent, although it works just as well, but doesn't look right to me. So you need 3 of the ASW-20-34 for all 3 flippers to make this right when using the linear type flippers.

#2696 4 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

I think I got it now. At least I hope! I will order the correct parts you listed. Question. On the schematic, how do you determine the wire color for any of the coils center lugs? I understand Bally’s numbered wire coding, but I don’t see where the center lug colors are identified.
Thanks for all your help.

Glad to help when I can.

To answer your question, there is no wire color noted for the center lug because the wires on these lugs are going strait to the EOS switches. All the EBD's I have seen used brown for this. Brown is also the common wire color between all three flipper coils. Notice on schematic green wire coming from A3J1-8. That is going to the secondary EOS for the upper flipper. These means the green wire is going directly to the coil lug. And then a brown wire on the same lug going to the secondary EOS, The other side of the EOS marked N O on the schematic (secondary) has a wire number of 85 which is the black/white wire and goes to the other tab of the EOS. The other end of that wire goes to the upper flipper coil. So you have green for the lower left flipper, orange for the right flipper and black/white for upper flipper.

To help you decipher which lug is which. Look at the diodes near each lug. Also look for the tiny copper wire coming from the coil. Match the copper wire to the diode solder leads, if the lead is on the banded side of the diode,you should see brown wires from the harness connected to them. The other outer lug will be connected to the non-banded side of the diode in front of it. The center lug is actually tied in between the 2 diodes. The diode symbol on the schematic is a triangle with a line on the point of the triangle, The line denotes the banded side of the diode. The triangle also serves as an arrow showing the direction of the current flow. The line is showing blockage of current flow from that direction. The diode only allows current to travel in one direction. The flipper coil actually has 2 windings. One is for full strength of the flipper bat. Once the bat is about 75% extended, it opens the EOS and then the flipper has less power but can be held on and won't burn out the coil.

#2698 4 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Thanks for the explanation. That’s very helpful. I ordered the parts. Understandably it could be a while for delivery. I’ll report back once everything is installed or if I have any more wiring questions. Thanks again.

Yep, good luck with it!

#2703 4 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

I came up with a wiring question. Well 2 questions. On a schematic symbol of a regular EOS switch, which side is which? Does it matter if the 2 wire leads going to the switch are reversed? I’m just looking at my Mata Hari and I’ve always felt like one flipper is a little stronger than the other despite my best attempts to adjust the EOS switch.

Inside EOS doesn't matter but in the secondary EOS on the lower left flipper, place the black/white wire on the far end tab, other wise the upper flipper will be constantly energized. Defeating the purpose of the secondary switch...

#2715 4 years ago
Quoted from Tecomd:

Thanks....yes countless hours in, getting ready to flip it for the top side.
I bought an old limited edition playfield on ebay to obtain the PCB boards and then used that as a guide to swap for the individual lamps. First time swapping, so I actually matched each wire from the limited that matched mine then removed it from the limited. When I was done, I was left with the commons and 3 fuse connection wires that I needed to adapt mine. There are probably better ways, but it seemed to work well.

Did all of the wire colors from each pf match up for the switched lamps? I while back I had a pf with those boards and some wires didn't match colors but my pf may have came from the later Bly/Midway version.

#2727 4 years ago

Depends on the game and other variables. I have to do it with my Star Trek soon also. Playfield is trash. I'll use a better labeling system next time for sure. Luckily, ST is a simpler game with less mechs.

I tried the dishwasher on one my my harnesses. I remember the switch contacts turned black. Now I wash them by hand. I put all of the coils in baggies and tape them closed. I also zip tie all of the switch stacks so they stay together. I lay the harness on a flat surface and spray it with a degreaser. I have tried all kinds of cleaners from Simple Green to Bleech Wite. They all will clean the wires but never erase 40 years of age. Sometimes cleaning too aggressive will tend to remove the secondary colors of the wiring so beware. Once harness is layed out, I spray the cleaner and let it work for a while and then scrub it with a small scrub brush. I rinse with a squirt bottle filled with hot water. Hang to dry for several days. Swapping out all of the small white zip ties also helps the harness look newer.

#2732 4 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

Got real rookie question. Pull and re-use T-nuts or replace? I imagine these are fairly inexpensive. If replace, how many to fully populate an EBD pf? Tnx..

I can't remember the amount off the top of my head but I can share my experience with the T nuts. If you are swapping a CPR pf, you want to try and keep the originals. The reason is because the CPR is thicker than the original pf. Also I have found that the T nuts made these days are slightly shorter. I measured the originals and they were almost 1/16 in. longer. I searched a few years ago for longer ones in the 6-32 thread and I didn't find any. Another thing that the original T nuts have going for them is the flat part with the teeth is thinner and allows the T nut to sit deeper than the newer ones. If you can save them, it may be worth it. I remove them with a small flat blade screw driver taking care not to bend them. You may need to straighten some teeth with needle nose pliers. Also check the thread of the T nuts for stripping and what not. Use a new screw and thread it into each one. If the screw binds, run a 6-32 tap in and re-thread it or chuck it if the screw does not tighten. You don't want to end up with a bad T nut when you are assembling the top side of the pf and have to swap it out after you have all the lower items attached.

Also if you are swapping a CPR, keep in mind that the maple is super hard, much harder than original pf. So some of the teeth might bend over on you. The T nuts should be the first item installed on a new PF. Place the pf on a firm solid surface to prevent the wood from bouncing, place a soft cloth between pf and surface. Tap them until flush with a small hammer.

The larger upper T nuts for the ball gates may need to be pressed in if using CPR, like I said the wood is very hard. For this, I use a large C clamp and small block of wood with painters tape on it to prevent damage or scratches. You can't/shouldn't pound them in with a hammer as it takes too much force to drive them in and you could end up splitting or cracking the pf. That would be a costly mistake!

This may seem trivial but mark the location of the small set screw for each T nut as compared to old pf. This will make for easier assembly later on. I use a black sharpie and just make a dot where the screw should go.

#2739 4 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

Tnx Lovef2k and vec-tor ! Will try to (carefully) remove the old T-nuts for re-use. Are the pre-drilled holes in the CPR pf too small? Any benefit in up-sizing them slightly? Never would have thought to match the set-screw locations - tnx !!

To add to vec-tor suggestions. Suggestion marks (dimples) are not very accurate on repro playfields. Even some of the pre-drilled holes may be off. I'll warn you now, swapping a repro pf will be challenging and you need to be patient as mythodical on your approach. Now that vector mentioned it, I remember the T not holes were a little to small and needed to be enlarged slightly. You can use whatever tools you are comfortable with. Since the T nut does not reach the surface of the pf, there's no need to over drill the hole all the way to the surface. Half way will do. The first run of EBD from CPR had small GI lamp socket holes and I had to do the same thing there. Test fit your sockets, I don't know what version you are working on.

#2743 4 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

Tnx again guys. I had heard that the dimples were a 'starting place' at best and will certainly adjust to function instead. I had not heard anything about misplaced T-nut holes though and that is pretty disconcerting. Do you guys recall any in particular that needed to be abandoned/redrilled?? I am really starting to see the utility of the rotisserie here. Flipping back and forth to assess/ measure hole placement, etc. Yep, definitely not plug and play here. I have a late run repro so am 'hoping' that appropriate tweaks were applied. The fun continues !

The T nut holes were not misplaced, just a little too small. One thing with the late run repro that I remember was the hole for the mini-post that goes between the multiplier drop target lane and the far left lane was off about a 1/4 inch causing not to be centered in the center where it should be.

#2744 4 years ago

Still working through this playfield swap. Is the star rollover lamp part of the GI? I believe it is, but want to double check with you guys. I think this wire goes to that socket but it was tied off on my original playfield.[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes it's GI

#2746 4 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

Is this the mini-post that you're talking about. Does look like it's about 1/4" or so in-board of where it should be. What are guys doing for this? New hole obviously. Need to fill the old? Doesn't look like it would really be in the ball path. I'm guessing that drilling thru the clear isn't as easy as I'd like it to be. What's the technique for not fracturing the clearcoat? Tnx again !![quoted image][quoted image]

Yes that's the hole I was referring to. Bummer isn't it? Once I set the mini post where it should be, the flange of the mini post was barely touching the incorrect hole. When I did mine, I painted the inside of the hole black. I then filled the hole with UV setting clear epoxy. It didn't totally hide the hole but made it less apparent. Don't make the new hole until you are installing the plastics so you know exactly where to place the mini post.

I never had a cracking problem drilling the surface of CPR playfields. Softer clear coat I guess. First make a small dimple so that the drill bit doesn't walk. Use a diamond point drill bit. I use 3/32 bits for this size. You don't have to go very deep, maybe 2/3 through.

#2752 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

OEM is a wood screw mini post. It gets hit a lot! Bad design on Bally's behalf.
You need to decide on what to do... Test fit your plastics in that area...
Mark area with what post to use.
1) mini post with 7/16" od rubber ring 8/32 screw base breaks ( Xenon )
---- new design 10/32 screw base. OR
2) metal post with 3/16" id rubber ring ( Centaur style ) 0360-00733-00XF
upside:
---- covers more area and helps keep the plastic rail tips from breaking...
---- use a drill and drill metal post to take 8-32 machine screw.
If you use ether one above... you need to resolve the underside...
---- "T" has to be counter sunk into the wood.
The drop target assembly would fit over the "T" nut.
Note: use dry soap on threads as lubricant.
---- go slow with these process, you do not want to crack the wood/surface finish.
---- do top side first.... fit part into playfield.
---- underside would now have hole marking.
---- screw "T" base upside down--- mark parameter on wood.
---- carefully remove parts.
---- cut wood to fit "T" nut flush--- need to enlarge hole to fit
---- "neck" of "T" nut. ( use a drill bit...taped off depth ).
---- carefully install "T" nut ( check angles of the fitting prongs to the D/T assembly ).
---- if all clear, finish installing "T" and top post, use soap as wood lubricant.
---- tighten assembly. check D/T assembly on bottom side...
---- all clear and flush fitting, you are good to go.

Good point about the wood threaded mini post. Yes they can get beat up and bend causing the hole threads to loosen up. Good idea changing to the machine thread type. If the DT bank is in the way can I counter bore a hole under the pf and place a washer and a nut in there flush? It sounds like a lot of work and a little risky though.

#2767 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Yes that's the hole I was referring to. Bummer isn't it? Once I set the mini post where it should be, the flange of the mini post was barely touching the incorrect hole. When I did mine, I painted the inside of the hole black. I then filled the hole with UV setting clear epoxy. It didn't totally hide the hole but made it less apparent. Don't make the new hole until you are installing the plastics so you know exactly where to place the mini post.
I never had a cracking problem drilling the surface of CPR playfields. Softer clear coat I guess. First make a small dimple so that the drill bit doesn't walk. Use a diamond point drill bit. I use 3/32 bits for this size. You don't have to go very deep, maybe 2/3 through.

If you haven't replaced the lamp sockets yet, I would switch it over to bayonets if not too late. Not the GI, I mean the switched lamps. They are much easier to change and work much better with LED's if you are going that route.

#2770 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Working on an EBD plastic playfield. Anyone have experience with what to use for stripped holes? For wood pf the toothpick method works but wondering about plastic pf! Though about filling with Super glue or an epoxy then drill it???

I would try UV setting epoxy if it were me. Fill hole a little at a time until flush. Then pre drill.

#2771 4 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

Will give the bayonets a look. Thought long and hard on the LED's. I know some guys love 'em and thats good but for me the warm glow of the incandescent is just part of the 'pinball look'. Did you replace the ground braid with the swap? I'm wondering if I can't bring the old ground with the harness and retack it into place.

It's not ground braid. It's actually supply wire that carries the hot side of the circuit. I always start with new wire. It's tough to lift it from old of without it breaking or fraying.

#2773 4 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

I keep forgetting that the machine is almost 40 yrs old! I've seen some replace the wire w/ 1/8" or 1/4" braid which sort of looks like overkill. That said, 1/8" tinned braid is inexpensive at Walmart (of all places).

I thought you were referring to the pf wire. Are referring to the cabinet braid?

#2775 4 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

I was referring to the pf wire. It is thin gauge and I could easily see that frayed/crimped/cut during a transplant. Was thinking about stapling in some 1/8" tinned braid unless there's a good reason to avoid..

It would be hard to make the sharp bend with the wide braid. There's some really tight traces on there. I would just replace with original types. Much easier to handle. Don't use stainless steel wire it must be tinned copper.

#2777 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

any specific brand?

Try pinball Resource for it. Its 18 gauge 10 strands.

#2779 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

any specific brand?

Sorry. Got mixed up. Can't remember right now. I'm sure you can find something on Google or Amazon. I think they use it for fly fishing to assemble lures. You want something thin that can be dropped in the hole or something that can go on a syringe.

#2789 4 years ago

My latest ebd restore had the phantom pop fire as well. This was after all new connectors and boards. So not a connection issue. I think the buyer fixed though. I think it was noise in the harness and some wires had to be separated.

My restored f2k has random phantom firing of the upper left sling. Quite annoying.

#2795 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Wow...that looks sweet. I know what a pain that is!

Rebuilding and replacing the diodes and caps on the 6 yellow stand up targets behind that bank is even worse.

#2800 4 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

At this point, I'm thinking that this EBD swap will be my one and only (maybe everybody says this?). That said, I don't really want to invest in a compressor + air stapler. Anybody have experience/can recommend a lesser expensive manual stapler? Upholstery stapler perhaps? Any thoughts appreciated..

My first swap on a CPR xenon with a manual staple gun didn't work for me. The wood is way harder that original playfields. Trust me you want a 22 gauge upholstery staple and air.

#2804 4 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

No, it's good.

The SEB should click in unison with the feature lamps when in burn in test. Go into coil test and see if all coils fire including drop target resets.

IIRC the SEB gets it's signal from the main lamp driver. Things I would check are the lamp driver scr, header pins of lamp driver board. Also header pins on seb board. Reflow if necessary.

#2808 4 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

I don’t even do playfield swaps but this is well worth the money.
amazon.com link »

That's the one I have. Also have the short nose version.

#2809 4 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

All coils fire in the solenoid test except the four target bank reset and the coin door lockout coil. The relay on the SEB clicks when solenoids 16, 17 & 18 are tested. Solenoid 16 is the non-working 4-bank DT reset. Header pins have been reflowed on the SEB. Re-pin connector?

If the saucer, out hole and the 1-9 and the 2-10 memory coils fire then it seems the SEB is working. So yeah might be connector issue. Also check the header pins on the lamp driver board. Press on the connectors while in coil test and look for any changes.

#2810 4 years ago

Also is this a new problem or did you get the game this way? Could have incorrect coils installed on those target banks. All coils controlled by the SEB should have 3 lugs and 2 diodes each.

#2813 4 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

All I can find are 1/4" crown staplers and I seem to recall the staples being somewhat wider than that. Which stapler are you using?

It's a 22 gauge upholstery air stapler. It uses 10 mm wide staples. Unicatch makes a good one.

#2817 4 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

Cleanest back box I've ever seen. Nicely done! I'm sold on the Unicatch. Picking one up at the local Walmart.

Good deal. Make sure to take a practice run on some scrap plywood. Lowest pressure possible so not to break the wire or bury the staple too deep. Make sure the compressor keeps constant pressure reading.

#2819 4 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Update. Re-flowed header pins on Lamp Driver board, checked other connectors, no change. Still neither the 4 bank drop target and coin lockout coils fire.
I did notice that when checking voltage at the drop target reset coils, the 7 bank's coils read 43VDC at both the gray/red wires on the center lugs, but the black/white wires read 57VDC at both side lugs. Both the orange/black and brown/orange wires on the 4 bank DT read 57VDC. All three coils read about 22 ohms. The under playfield lamp does light in feature lamp test and during solenoid test.

Do you have another game that you can temporarily swap solenoid drivers for testing? Maybe you have bad drivers on that board.

#2820 4 years ago

The coin lock out is a constant coil meaning it stays on until told to turn off. In sol test it will just buzz for a second or two.

#2824 4 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Installed a known good board. No changde.

So now you know the issue is either in the pf or your connectors. Check the 9 pin connector for the horseshoe target bank. Check header pins on SEB.

Make sure all coils wired properly.

#2835 4 years ago

The wiring looks correct. The 2 bluish green wires are the supply voltage for the switched lamp circuit. since they are wired in parallel the second wire is completing the circuit. Also the short bare wire is doing the same for the SEB lamp.

I would trace the small wire on that credit indicator lamp back to the connector at the lamp driver. Inspect the connector and header pin. Replace bulb. Could be a flaky led?

#2838 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

1) not green ---blue...color change to age.

Yeah I know. Just trying to be specific for his situation.

#2839 4 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Thanks I’ll check that out and report back. I could not even get another led in the replacement socket. Comet leds are just too tight. That’s why I went with the incandescent for now.

I can't stand using 555 LEDs with Bally sockets. When I did my first end swap I kept the 555 sockets and used leds. My fingers were sore after installing them. Not only are they tight but the connection is weak which results in flaky lighting.

By the second and third ebd swaps I changed to bayonet sockets. I do keep the 555 gi sockets to keep the top side of the pf looking original. warm white retro from cointaker look good.

#2848 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Does the wiring look correct on these coils?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Does your solenoid expander board click when going into self test 1 push of red button on coin door? The saucer and inline reset are controlled by the expander board. The pop bumper is a separate issue.

#2851 4 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Are the red inserts over the outlanes and the yellow arrows at the top of the playfield part of Attract Mode? Mine stay off.

Some lamps wont light in attract mode. All lamps should flash in self test though.

#2861 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Anyone have a picture of the coil the resets the inlane drop targets? Just making sure my is wired correctly..

I would need time to root through all of my SD cards to find pics. My games are torn apart right no for future restorations.
Do you have a solenoid driver that you can borrow from another game to test with?

#2864 4 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

My star rollover switch #35 shows shut in switch test and does not score in gameplay. The contacts are open but the switch lugs have a small capacitor on them that does not show in the schems. It's the only switch in the game that has a cap. Soldering job is not original. Why is it there and can/should I cut it off?

Also I would verify that the switch itself isn't shorted somehow. If somebody that didn't know what they were doing when they worked on that switch it's possible that they didn't wire it correctly or the blades are out of order.
It's odd that's the only cap in the game. there should be caps on the pop bumper switches, the bank shot and all 6 yellow stand up targets should have them.

#2870 4 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

Is anyone manufacturing the plastic (lower level) inlane guides ??

bigdaddy1 was selling ebd clear plastic sets on ebay. Including the flipper returns.
I have a set. Pretty nice.

#2872 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

The driverboard is good, it’s brand new.. I think the solenoid is hooked up wrong.

The wiring looked correct to me.

#2898 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Incandescents as you are probably aware have persistence in their lighting. The moment you disconnect power they slowly fade out.
LEDs on the other hand have no persistence. Disconnect power and light extinguishes immediately.
The feature lamp voltage on these games is "rippling DC", i.e. the voltage starts at zero volts, rises to about 9 volts then falls back to zero volts and then this cycle repeats. This rippling DC cycle happens at 120 times per second. It's unregulated DC.
It means any enabled feature lamps are switching on and off 120 times per second. Due to the persistence of incandescent lamps you don't see them switching on and off so the light output is stable, but it can be apparent with LEDs and some people are more sensitive to them strobing. I've had people notice the displays in these games slightly strobe for similar reasons.
The upper right/left lane lamps are amongst the last to be refreshed by the MPU board when the DC feature lamp voltage is rising - i.e. those lamps are off for the longest period in the DC cycle. Things get complicated again when the game software sometimes has to postpone refreshing the lamps because it's busy refreshing the displays which have higher priority. <- This is a reason why the usual LED flickering in these games isn't always at a consistent rate.
How do you give LEDs persistence? You need to install a capacitor in them to store voltage so they stay powered on when the rippling feature lamp voltage otherwise dips to zero volts during its cycle.
The Comet "Flux" LEDs have capacitors and might resolve the flickering you're seeing, whether you like their light/LED style is another matter. They have a note that they don't work properly with Alltek lamp driver boards. Alternatively switch those particular lamps back to incandescents

That's the most informative explanation of led strobing I have read. Thanks for that. So adding a resistor to these would not help? I too have noticed the refreshing of the upper lane lamps myself after a complete restoration on a ebd with all new Alltek boards all new connectors installed. I have always used cointaker leds. Do the comet flux still need the Alltek led driver boards?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 10.00
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bloomsburg, PA
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
533 posts in this topic match your search for posts by lovef2k. You are on page 1 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lovef2k.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well?tu=lovef2k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.