IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1324 Explanation of paints used for screen printing Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1325 What happens when white is used as a base in paint Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1331 Double screening on playfields Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #2099 Note changing some GI and chase light sockets: bulbs may sit too high. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Post #2103 Correct bulb holder to fit bulbs. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider digitaljb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2326 4 years ago

Hello 8BD world! I am brand new here and the proud new owner of an 8BD. Picked it up over the summer and it actually plays pretty well for being close to 40 years old. The game would cut out after about 8 games and just die while in mid game. Found some time to work on it and decided to start changing out the boards. Started with MPU, Solenoid, and Light Board. Ordered from Marco (but really All Tek) and it did not fix the problem. Still happy to change out the boards as they were terrible looking. Not afraid to put some money into this game. After a little more digging and some help (over the phone) from Dave at All Tek (really cool guy) the power board inside was FUBAR. Just put the board in today and now "All Systems Go". Next step is to switch over to LED lights which I have in hand now.

Question 1: Do other 8BD owners like the switch over to LED'S?
Question 2: What has been the life of the newer boards so far? Any major Issues?
Question 3: Since I am not sure if the boards were original that came with it do they hold any value? Should I have them redone for originality reasons
Question 4:Does anyone have a copy of the original owners manual I could purchase, get a copy of somehow?
Would love to be able to set the dip switches 1-32 in the right order. A pic of the right order would be awesome

Thanks! DigitalJB
IMG_2155 (resized).jpgIMG_2155 (resized).jpgIMG_2157 (resized).jpgIMG_2157 (resized).jpg

#2337 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:If you are going to switch to LED bulbs, keep in mind that this era of Bally games has #555 lamp sockets. I have restored 3 EBD games and from my experience, the plastic bases on the LED lamps are not very compatible or user friendly with the LED lamp base. It takes a lot of effort to seat them in the sockets and sometimes the connections are flaky. If your game has the lamp board pcb's under the playfield, then it won't be as difficult. Also when switching to LED's you will see the lamps flicker or strobe. The reason for this is that the LED lamp doesn't draw enough current as the original 555 lamp and this causes switching issues on the lamp driver board, mostly all Bally and Sterns from late 70's to early 80's will do this. Luckily there solutions for this. The easiest is changing the original lamp driver and aux lamp driver to Alltek. They have a built in fix for this by running a jumper wire to the switched lamp bus wire.
Also make sure you get the correct manual for your game. Although very similar, there are slight differences in wiring and colors of the wires between the 81 version and the LE. Not sure about the Bally-Midway version though.
One way to tell if a board is original to the game is to match serial numbers from boards to the cabinet. This isn't always 100% because arcades back in the day may have had more than one particular game and sometimes the heads would get mixed up.

Thanks for the advice as I got a chance today to start changing out the 555's. I tackled the back box first and I did notice that the fit was a little tighter with the LED'S. My solution was to take a small flat head and just wiggle the socket inside a little and they fit perfectly. The appearance is definitely different compared to the old bulbs. I spent a little time working on the Playfield lights but didn't get too far. That's going to be a little more of a show so I was wondering if I should remove the Playfield to make this easier? Also, does it make sense to change the LED'S on the Playfield if I have plans to get the Playfield redone? I would do the Playfield now but they are hard to come by these days. Recently saw one on EBAY go for $1525.00

#2338 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Yeah what’s the trick to getting LEDs to fit in these sockets without breaking the plastic socket? I have 555 comets frosted LEDs and they just don’t fit. Does someone sell thinner LEDs to fit this older game? I’ll buy the altek led board if I can get LEDs to fit.

Pacman, just take a small flathead and barely open (pry) the female end inside the light bulb socket. Takes a little extra time but saves time in the long run.

#2339 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Welcome! EBD is by far my favorite machine...it'll never leave my gameroom.
I did switch to LEDs. I didn't go super bright and left it tasteful. I really like the look of the inserts with the LEDS.
I have an Alltek lamp board in mine and a Rottendog rectifier board....so far so good after 1.5 years. I used an Alltek MPU in it for the first few months while I repaired the original MPU, then put the original MPU back in once it was working. I now use the Alltek in my other Bally pins when I'm troubleshooting stuff. The original boards do hold value - do a search on eBay and you can see how much working and non-working ones sell for (provided there is no battery corrosion damage).
You can get the owner's manual here (PDF): https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=eight+ball+deluxe&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#762
Have fun!

Thanks for the helpful info and the link for the owners manual. I checked the boards and I didn't see any serial numbers that match my machine. I am going to just shelf the old boards for a rainy day for now. The new All Tek boards are working perfectly so I am very happy so far. Next up will be the Playfield. Any suggestions where to get a new one? Recently bid on one but it went for $1525 on EBAY. Crazy!!!

#2340 4 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Some more custom cards by Mr_Tantrum. He customized the text for me. Great job. Thanks.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How could I get a set of those cards?

1 week later
#2345 4 years ago
Quoted from iluvak9:

Strange Tech Issue Occurring During Lamp Test...
I had my 1981 8BD near 100% working, but there was one or two feature lights acting up.

I am a newbie here and have been working on my 81 EBD a lot lately and have switched out all the boards with All Tek and have had good success so far. I am not familiar with the Weebly boards you put in but it sounds like it could be in the settings of the board. The previous owner did some kind of hack to the Aux light board on my 8BD and it is next on my list. I have the new board and will be installing soon. The game itself is working perfectly and I am a little nervous to mess with it right now since it's doing well. Double check all your connections first and hopefully you will find the problem.

My 8BD has 4 lights out on Playfield 3 near drop targets (The first three stripe balls) and then on the left ramp the extra ball lamp is out. Any suggestions on how to pinpoint the break???? Could it possibly be the hack from the previous owner on the aux light board?

Thanks!

#2346 4 years ago

My 8BD has 4 lights out on Playfield, 3 near drop targets (The first three stripe balls) and then on the left ramp the extra ball lamp is out. Any suggestions on how to pinpoint the break???? There is a pretty ugly hack at the aux light board where they wire nutted 3 wires and then soldered across the three connections on pins that hook into board. Could it possibly be the hack from the previous owner on the aux light board? How could I get a new pin connector that would plug into board? I have a new aux board but need to fix hack before I install it.

Thanks!

1 week later
#2357 4 years ago

Left Lane Rollover not working. Will score with a light rollover, will not score every time. Found snowflake falling apart so ordered and changed. Still no go, ordered actual insert assembly. Any advice on how to change insert? Also, switch is old but looks like it can be cleaned. Is there supposed to be a piece of white plastic on actually switch assembly for snowflake to hit?

Thanks!

#2359 4 years ago

Thanks for the info as always!

1 month later
#2376 4 years ago
Quoted from srose007:

I had a very similar issue and John Mohr actually came by and replaced the capacitor which had been snipped off (Thanks John!). The capacitor apparently allows the CPU to have a split second longer to recognize that the star rollover has been actuated. Apparently this is the culprit in almost all of the cases. Good luck.

Thanks for the follow up on the Capacitor, just read your post today

#2377 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I've got a bunch. PM me your shipping info and I'll send you some.

Could I grab on of those caps as well ?????

2 weeks later
#2387 4 years ago

Looking to track down light boards for my 8BD, does anyone know where I can track these down? Finally secured my CPR Play Field and want to get all the parts necessary before the transformation begins.

010 (resized).JPG010 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#2390 4 years ago

Lower play field lights went dark while playing a game. Found blown 15 amp fuse at power board in main lower cabinet near speaker. Can't find any wires grounded anywhere. Blows fuse as soon as you turn on power. Machine will work and you can play as usual. A portion of the lights won't come on due to fuse being blown. ??????

8 months later
#3238 3 years ago

Here she is fellas 'EBD1268" just finished this past weekend.

New Stencil kit and repainted cabinet
New CPR GOLD playfield (Also clear coated)
New Boards throughout
Every light bayonet and light replaced (EVERYONE ONE OF THEM)
New legs and Casters
Original white caps and pops replaced
New plastics
New blue posts
ETC ETC............

Mission Accomplished!

IMG_3121 (resized).JPGIMG_3121 (resized).JPG
#3248 3 years ago

Took down pics because they were a little blurry, will take better pics and repost.

The White caps were custom made and the graphics were laser printed by the guy who rebuilt the machine for me.

After looking at the original flyer I had to go with the white caps!

#3250 3 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Beautiful. We need a closeup of those white caps.

109928595_318969712475643_8977657600119915159_o (resized).jpg109928595_318969712475643_8977657600119915159_o (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-08-02 at 11.51.44 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-08-02 at 11.51.44 AM (resized).png
#3252 3 years ago

After all the Bayonets and Bulbs were redone on the new CPR Gold

I have the old playfield and will be posting it for sale at some point
You can see it to the right of the new playfield

The old playfield was swapped at some point and looks better
then average. Would need some touch up but was very playable
110699630_318970609142220_1953404913191613102_o (resized).jpg110699630_318970609142220_1953404913191613102_o (resized).jpg

109916623_318970375808910_7827044519959433224_o (resized).jpg109916623_318970375808910_7827044519959433224_o (resized).jpg
#3255 3 years ago

I am considering selling this playfield that was just removed from my recent EBD overhaul

I honestly do not know what value this holds but I am open to all offers

I will ship at your expense and I will not be responsible for any damage

Would like to see this help someone out on a rebuild and revive another EBD

IMG_3128 (resized).jpegIMG_3128 (resized).jpegIMG_3129 (resized).jpegIMG_3129 (resized).jpegIMG_3130 (resized).jpegIMG_3130 (resized).jpeg
#3256 3 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe #1268

Some better pics to show you all my Overhauled EBD. I wanted to tell you my story of why, when and how this all happened.

WHY: My older brother Russ and I used have some battles on his EBD when we were a little younger. There is just something
about this game that really does it for me compared to other Pins. Maybe, it's because I love to shoot pool and it's the perfect
combination of both pool and pinball. My brother Russ had a pretty bad stroke several years ago and when that happened
his game was sold out form under him by a friend. I do not know if it was his friends fault or his but it is gone and I don't know the
number that was attached to it. I wish I would have acted quicker to get that game but it was too late before I realized what was going on.

WHEN: I bought EBD#1268 in the spring of 2019 from a beer bar out of Cleveland Ohio for $2200. It smelled like beer, tobacco, pot and cigar
smoke when it showed up at my house. It was love at first sight for sure. Kinda like that girl you meet at a bar and you know that she is bad for you
but you take her home anyways. I still have the league tag somewhere around here with the leagues high scores on it.

HOW: I bought my first PIN (Star Trek Pro) in the Spring of 2019 from Coin Taker out of PA. The delivery crew of Derrick and Erica (Musket Hauling)
we're amazing and Derrick told me once you buy one you better be ready for another. I told him that I was looking for an EBD and the search heated up
through a friend I met in league play in the DC area. Once I secured the lead I offered up the money without even seeing the machine in person. The pics and the price were good enough for me. I thought the seller was actually in the DC area but it turned out the entire time I was talking to him he was in Cleveland Ohio. I hired musket hauling to go get #1268 and they brought it to me and I was like "This is going to be a project" but it actually played pretty nice for the shape it was in at the time.

After goofing around with it I realized quickly that #1268 needed a massive overhauling if I wanted it to play correctly. After months of gathering new parts
and a CPR Gold Playfield that I SERIOUSLY overpaid for I turned the game over to a guy that hand soldered every single Bayonet and has some secret potion that he uses on the playfield to assure there is no damage to the playfield as the game gets older. After looking at the original flyers from Bally, I decided to try and switch the typical Orange looking pop bumper cap design to the original White that came in the first batch of the game. Whether or not my game was in that batch didn't matter to me as long as it came out looking clean and original to the first batch of games. Wanted to create a classic game!

Last night I video chatted with my brother and he was simply amazed by #1268 and I can't wait for him to be able to see the game in person. He won't be able to play the game as he has health issues, but he will at least be able to enjoy the sights and sounds of our younger days when the world was a better place. If you are in the middle of redoing an EBD keep pushing forward and I can't wait to hear your story too.

IMG_3133 (resized).jpegIMG_3133 (resized).jpegIMG_3139 (resized).jpegIMG_3139 (resized).jpegScreen Shot 2020-08-02 at 11.51.44 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-08-02 at 11.51.44 AM (resized).pngIMG_3137 (resized).jpegIMG_3137 (resized).jpegIMG_3138 (resized).jpegIMG_3138 (resized).jpegIMG_3136 (resized).jpegIMG_3136 (resized).jpegIMG_3141 (resized).jpegIMG_3141 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#3310 3 years ago

Lost my sheet with the All Tek settings. How do you put the game into free play???

#3312 3 years ago

Thanks!

3 months later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bloomsburg, PA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 179.00
$ 90.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider digitaljb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well?tu=digitaljb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.