IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1324 Explanation of paints used for screen printing Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1325 What happens when white is used as a base in paint Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1331 Double screening on playfields Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #2099 Note changing some GI and chase light sockets: bulbs may sit too high. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Post #2103 Correct bulb holder to fit bulbs. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#136 9 years ago

Hey guys. Just joined the club. I have never had a talking game before. Anyone know why my sound is just reverb when the game is on? The board boots fine and the connectors are plugged in correctly. Not sure what to check next. See video below. The video also shows my flipper issue. Left button does work, and the right button operates the left flippers.

Thanks!

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

J1 or J2 on the SDB is pinned incorrectly or one is connected a pin off. Don't know about your sound issue though.

I traced the wires from J1 and J2 back to the flipper coils and switches and they are wired correctly. Also, before I got the machine it worked, so something happened between when the back box was disconnected, and when I reconnected it. I have checked the connections on the SDB multiple times and everything looks right according to the schematics.

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Your single drop target resets like it's supposed to and all other coils work correctly?

actually the single drop doesn't reset. I noticed that last night. But yes, all other coils work properly.

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Check J1 again, I think it's shifted by one pin.

Okay I will. thanks.

Quoted from muzikman:

Did you already check the display #18 sound menu? There are a few different choices for partial sounds vs. all sounds. My machine has been reset a couple times to only partial sounds. The manual covers the sound menu I think.

I didn't think to do this. I will check this as well. Sweet avatar too. Floyd is amazing.

#144 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Check J1 again, I think it's shifted by one pin.

Now that I look at the schematics, this makes sense. Because if I somehow reconnected J1 wrong (off by one pin), and I plugged this into J1 so that the connector's slot 9 is plugged into pin 8 on J1, I would have power for the left flipper running to the right switch. and since the left flipper switch and single target reset got moved to unused pins, they would have no activity.

If this is the case, I am going to feel so stupid since I have unplugged and then plugged this connector back in like 10 times checking to see if I had it right, haha. Here's to hoping. I will report back tonight.

#146 9 years ago

Flippers fixed. Apparently the connector was repinned with the 5, 8, and 9 wires pinned to the 4, 7, and 8 positions. So even though I had the connector flush with the male end, the wires weren't set to hit the right pins on the male end. Anyway, thanks for the tip! Now just need to figure out the sound issue. I went to test 18 and that didn't help.

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Yay! One down, one to go. I think there's something wrong with your sound board, it should at least make chime sounds if the effects were turned off.
Make sure it's booting. It has a flash sequence much like the MPU.
Reflow all of the headers. Those .156 header joints like to crack.
Check to see if there are any AMI PIA chips on it. If so, replace them.

Board boots. I get five flashes. What does it mean to reflow the headers? Also, what do AMI PIA chips look like?

#151 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

A pic is worth a thousand words.

Flow a little solder onto those header joints and then suck it out and make new joints with fresh solder.
AMI chips look like this (different part number though):

crackedsolder.jpg 35 KB

AMI PIA.JPG 154 KB

Thanks. I'll get to work.

#160 9 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

Anyone figure out the best pitch (incline angle) to set up an 8bd at?

I haven't played mine enough yet to know, but I tend to set all mine as steep as possible to make them as hard as possible.

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

8bd is tough at any angle I would say! I am looking for someone who has experimented and has decided that the game "plays perfectly" at a certain pitch.
I think modern Sterns are designed to be played at about 6.5 degrees. Did this apply to the games in 1980? my feeling is that they were designed to be a little flatter than that.

Yeah I think the early SS games are definitely at a more shallow pitch. I'd be interested to hear ideas as the best pitch for this game too.

#165 9 years ago

Anyone know where I can get part #ASE-2250-27 (Ball Gate). It is the gate on the left rollover lane at the top. I do not have the wire door for the gate that makes it a one way lane.

I checked with PBR and they don't have it. Also looked on Marco and couldn't find one or one that would work.

1 month later
#170 9 years ago

Check out the improvements I made to my EBDLE backglass lighting. Had a friend make me a custom set of two led strips.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Then I thought, warm white would look better and three strips. Just received the new custom made strips yesterday.

image-126.jpgimage-126.jpgimage-325.jpgimage-325.jpg

Whoa baby. I think we have a winner!!

#172 9 years ago

Yeah I guess you're right about the color pop. I guess I just wanted a more original look just brighter. Either way, much better option than the stock bulb haha

1 week later
#185 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Odds are the game came that way off the factory. At a certain point, you can examine and re-examine everything and decide, there's no more "minor adjustments" you can make with the flipper assembly and the location of the ball guide.
I finally took matters into my own hands on my 2004 Halifax PF, and re-drilled the hole for the ball guide. I wish I had done it 6 months ago.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-fathom-shop-job#post-2174093
1. By drilling RIGHT NEXT to the old hole, you will never see the old hole.
2. You WILL see rings smashed into the clear from the BELL.
3. The game will play better, and it's all worth it

I have also found it helps to make sure the flippers are not resting too low. set their rest position a bit higher to help the smooth transition from inlane to flipper.

#188 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Interesting point. I tend to like my flippers a few degrees south of parallel with the guides, as my preference is to limit over-cradling with the flippers. I like when the ball sometimes rolls over and out when the ball travels quickly.
-mof

That is the only drawback. To get a nice smooth transition on mine I had to make one flipper have a pretty high end of stroke resting spot.

#195 9 years ago

neato. I might try these. Do you have a link to where you bought them at? not sure what size I need.

1 week later
#203 9 years ago

Wow. that looks great. I would say grab it up! I think most that prefer the OG is the value factor, but from what I hear it is very hard to find one in any sort of decent shape. But this is coming from a guy that owns the LE with a playfield overlay. I think a lot of people would say the value of mine is much lower because of the overlay, but it looks and plays great, and that is all that matters to me!

#211 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I'm no EBD price expert. Here's how I'd think it through.
I'd figure BEST CASE pickup on an EBD with a great cab/BG is $1000, throw in cleared/touched PF/plastics for $1000, erase all sweat equity. I think $2000 is your min pickup price on that, and $2400 is reasonable, if it's a solid 9/10+ all around. $2750 sounds high to me for that title. I'd prefer to be in for $1800-$2000 on that (if there's a chance you'll move it out again in a few yrs.)
-mof

what are you opinions of playfield overlays? I have never had one before, and I know the LE cab is not desirable, but if you want a nice EBD that plays well, why not? I don't notice the overlay playing any different than an OG playfield.

#214 9 years ago

I have a question about the twist in 555 sockets. I have them in my LE. The 13 ball light for the drop targets doesn't work, as well as one of the deluxe letters. I have tried new bulbs and new twist in sockets. No help. What should I do next to fix it?

#217 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Test the circuit board contacts and see if they have voltage in Lamp Test mode.

And if they don't?

#219 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Then we look at the light board, is a SCR burned out?
Then we look at the connectors, is there a bad female socket or male pin or cracked solder joint.
-
For instance, if in Lamp Test, we jiggle the connector and the lamp lights briefly, we replace the male and female connectors. Whether it's the cracked solder or bad pin/socket, it gets fixed the same way.
Some techs will just resolder the male pin joints, but if I'm already removing the board, it only takes a minute to just replace them with new ones....

loud and clear. I will check this out this weekend

#221 9 years ago

Sorry. My wording was weird. I meant to say the the 13 ball light for the drop targets doesn't work. One of the deluxe letter doesn't work either.

1 week later
#222 9 years ago

So I was playing last night and noticed that the Special and 50k (Red and Blue in the middle of the PF) lights for the deluxe targets were stuck on during every game. Not sure how to fix this. I thought maybe I flipped an extra switch when I was adjusting the settings, but I don't think there is any setting that would keep those lights on during your ball. I also didn't notice a change in scoring.

Any ideas?

#224 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Check and see if the corrosponding SCRs that drive those lamps are shorted on the lamp board.
They turn on the moment the game starts/power up?

No. They behave correctly during attract mode and do not turn on until the attract mode starts rolling. When I start a game, the lights all over the playfield do their normal beginning of ball strobe, the ball feeds to the shooter lane, then like a split second later those two lamps light.

#226 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Add me to the club.
I'm in the middle of shopping out my LE.
Pretty decent playfield, had to do a few minor touch-ups.
Getting ready to take the Treasure Cove polishing kit to the playfield mylar.
Hope to have it back together in the next week or so.
I still have to design/machine playfield plastic protectors.

Treasure Cove polishing kit eh? I bet that would be the stuff I would need to use on my overlay. I have just been using novus 1 so far. Wasn't really sure what was best to use.

#227 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Check and see if the corrosponding SCRs that drive those lamps are shorted on the lamp board.
They turn on the moment the game starts/power up?

Weird. It was fine tonight when I booted her up. I will keep an eye on it.

#231 9 years ago

Thanks for the reminder about these. Just ordered some!

#235 9 years ago

I also wanted to follow up with a way better picture of my LE backglass with LED strips in it. This is what is actually looks like in person. Hard to take accurate pics of how LEDs look in a game. Highly recommend doing this. It does create glare if you are playing with the lights off. If you are playing in a well lit room it is not an issue though.

DSC01116.JPGDSC01116.JPG

#240 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Where do you connect the LED's to get power?

Well. If you are using one or two strips I alligator clipped them to the MPU on tp3. But, since I'm running three it was too much power draw to do that so I hooked it up to its own power source and plugged into the Aux plug inside the cab.

1 week later
#250 9 years ago

Wow looks great. Well done.

I just installed my cliffys on the inlanes. They work great!! Thanks for the heads up PracticalSteve!

#257 9 years ago

Yeah if anyone figured out the rift colors to use for the cabinet, post here. I want to touchup mine as well.

2 weeks later
#262 8 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

For EBD I used these colors and it was pretty much dead on. I just printed that and handed it to the paint person.
Recommendations from silverball on RGP:
Creme:
Royal Latex High Gloss (102)
Latex and Oil Enamels midtone 320
INGRD Y 1/48 1/96
B 0 4 1
C 0 18 0
L 0 3 1
Gold: Bountiful Harvest
Royal Latex High Gloss (102)
Latex and Oil Enamels neutral 173A3430
INGRD Y 1/48 1/96
C 2 24 0
KX 0 24 0

Thanks! anyone have a handle on the LE cab paint types?

1 month later
#272 8 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

I'm in with an '81 vintage EBD that we've had for a good 20 years now. Just stumbled on to the club here. I do have a quick question regarding lamps. Wondering if any of you have swapped in LED's for your GI lighting and how it went. Had NO IDEA there were as many choices for PF LED's as there are. My first guess (broad swipe) would be for one of the 'warm' frosted types but I've never seen them installed. Figured I would pick up a few and just experiment. Thoughts? Prior experience?

LEDs look great in this game IMO if you go warm white everywhere. I used Comet LEDs TWIN 2835 SMD 6.3V AC/DC INTENSE BRIGHTNESS frosted warm white BULBs in the lights that surround the left and right upper lanes (left rollover, right EB target). Then I used Comet 2 SMD 6.3V AC/DC SUPREME BRIGHTNESS with FACETED LENS bulbs for under all the plastics for the rest of the game. Warm white for all GI bulbs except for the top rollover lanes. I color matched those with blue 2 SMD 6.3V AC/DC SUPREME BRIGHTNESS with FACETED LENS bulbs.

#276 8 years ago

Here is what mine looks like with the bulbs that I mentioned before. Pretty similar.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#279 8 years ago

Here is what I used for the pops. Comet as well. Since these are not GI, they may flicker or ghost if you don't have an LED board or resistors on the sockets. I have an alltek lamp board in my game that allows me to put LEDs in the whole game without issue. Good luck!!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#290 8 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

So if you swap your Bally lamp board to a Universal Alltek unit or use Hans' adapters, are all EBD lamps covered/ controlled ? Do you need to swap out the auxiliary lamp board as well ?

I did nothing to the aux lamp board. I just replaced the main lamp board.

#296 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

Not sure about you guys/gals, but my EBD is already super-fast already. Putting in a Powerball would make the game unplayable IMHO...

My game is fast too. I hate how those powerballs play anyway, but a good idea if you really want that cue ball look in there.

#297 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

That's pretty cool, Chuck. Weighs about the same too. Doc, you could use a TZ powerball as a cue ball, but it's lighter and would not play the same.

Yeah I was pumped when I came across that. the best part about that ball is you can read the spin on it and anticipate where it is going to go easier. Also, I got an eight ball custom shooter rod from pinball_customs. it looks awesome. I am not a huge fan of custom shooter rods, but this one is subtle and works well.

#300 8 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

Is this the power ball you guys are talking about? Why doesn't anyone like them?
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-9809

To me it feels like playing with a plastic ball, and really floaty like a balloon. Haha. Hard to explain. Noticeably different though. Not a good different IMO.

2 months later
#303 8 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Little help here. Rebuilding the pop bumpers on my friends EBD but the manual doesn't have any part numbers. Is there an easy place to find this info?

I think there are parts manuals on planetary pinball's website.

#307 8 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Oh! I see. I should have checked before replying. You can look at the parts manuals online, thought I would have to buy one! Thanks guys, big help and much appreciated!

Yeah, I was pumped when I first found that. I was able to order from PBR with confidence, haha.

#308 8 years ago

Hey guys! My EBDLE won best in show at the Cleveland event this weekend. Posted over in that thread already but thought I'd post here to represent our group!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#312 8 years ago

Quick question. How does everyone have their flippers adjusted? A good buddy of mine played mine and said he didn't like how low mine sit. I have mine in line with the metal bars under each flipper, as in, in the rest position, the bat is touching those bars. I adjusted mine last night to get them off those bars, but I hated how high the flipper travels when I do that. It's so much so that you can trap a ball that is flying down the inlane. I don't think you should ever be able to do that.

#315 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

You do not want them to touch the metal guide bars. If you do, the bars will eventually break from the flipper constantly smacking against them. You see this on a lot of pins where the flippers are set incorrectly. To set the flippers correctly, there are two dimples in the playfield that show where the flippers are supposed to be set. Basically you want the tips of the flippers to be pointing at the dimples and the top edge of the flippers will be in a straight line with the lane guide.
01a.jpg

Can you show me a pic of your flippers in the up position too? Also I don't see how a metal bar can be broken by a plastic flipper bat, but good point if true.

#317 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

"If true" huh?
Let your flippers continue to smack them then and see what happens.

Just saying the plastic the flipper bats are made out of doesn't seem like it can break a metal bar in two. There's been 500 plus games and counting with them like that, but I definitely don't want anything to break so I moved them up off of touching those bars. Thanks for the heads up.

#319 8 years ago

Sweet. Thanks for the pic. I set mine up just like that now.

#321 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

With the linear flippers the set screws in the flipper crank tend to dig into the shaft making it a permanent setting.

Totally agree. I've noticed this with other flippers I have had. Luckily here I can adjust them okay.

#348 8 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

As for the game; a must for any Solid State collection but defnitely not in my top 10.

That's cause you are spoiled by all those classic Sterns in your lineup.

31145422.jpg31145422.jpg

2 weeks later
#376 8 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

Hey, these are nice, would you share the PDF or JPG or DOC or whatever?

Yay please share. Or I will gladly pay for a set. Looks awesome!

#381 8 years ago

Great restore candidate. Nice find!

2 months later
#409 8 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Hey everyone,
Price check question. What does an ebd go for that is a very nice place. Not cq but very nice. I've been thinking of buying one and I don't know the market for these at all.

For the most desirable 1980 version id say around 2500-3000 for a nice one. Haven't seen them come up too much so I would be way off.

1 week later
#416 8 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

My playfield has a few small wear spots down to the bare wood. I just want clean it and play it without doing a restoraation on it. What suggestions are out there to hold the wear spots to what they are now without further erosion or the spots growing?

Either Mylar to cover the spot, or wax it regularly. Unless it's getting played to hell and back, that should keep it from getting worse.

3 weeks later
#427 8 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I am almost done swapping the PF on mine. Pics to follow. I finally have a nice EBD with ALL original parts. Took me years to track one down. They are getting harder to find for sure. I'm mad that I didn't buy one 10 years ago for cheap! A true 80's pinball masterpiece.

Didn't know you had one. I'll have to come by and show you how it's done. Haha

2 weeks later
#442 8 years ago

Steve Castle is an option too in Lexington. Good guy and I am sure he would be able to help you with your questions.

http://www.castleclassicarcade.com

#472 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

No I never have seen that and there aren't any score cards for it that I've ever seen either but the machine does have the capability of being set to those options.
Gosh two balls would really suck.
lol
One thing that's interesting about EBD that I never tried or noticed is when you have it set to 5-balls in attract mode it will say "Eight Ball Deluxe.... Five Ball" and in 3-ball mode it will say "Eight Ball Deluxe... Three ball".
I wonder if it is set to two or four balls if it says the same for them?
Most likely but I just never tried it.

I don't think so because if you run the sounds test he only says 3 ball and 5 ball.

2 weeks later
#498 8 years ago

Will the CPR playfield for EBD that I just pre-ordered have all the dimples in it? I have never bought a CPR before.

3 weeks later
#530 8 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

Where do I find the LE version flourescent light for the backglass?

Ditch it and just do LED strips. Rock pinball made me a custom setup. Really cheap and easy to set up.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#536 8 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Where are you hooking up the LED strips to get power?

If you only run two strips you can aligator clip it to TP3 or TP2 on the MPU.

Since I used three, it is plugged into the aux outlet inside the cabinet.

#537 8 years ago

Can I see a pic with backglass off? I assume warm white?

Yes warm white. I first tried two cool white strips and it looks like this

I just didn't like it cool white and with two strips you can see a dark spot through the middle of the glass. That bothered me too.

So went to warm white and got three strips.

Now, with using the aux plug I was only able to turn it off if the game was unplugged or on a controlled switch, so I put a wireless outlet plug on the aux outlet in the game and turn it on and off by remote.

#539 8 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I actually thought about designing/machining a new lamp board for the backbox, using the staple-type #44 sockets. I just don't think there would be much demand for it to justify all the upfront work.
The LED strips is a much easier way to light the backglass. I agree...3 strips look much better than 2. Warm white is the better choice as well. I use warm whites to bring out the reds, oranges, yellows. I like the cool whites to bring out the blues and greens.

Yeah I agree. It's hard to get the best of both worlds.

1 week later
#549 8 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

I check the CPR site every 6 months or so just to see if they will serve the clamoring masses with another EBD pf run. Am I reading this right? Are they cutting new boards?? And if they are, did I miss out (again)??!! Possible aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh.....

Yes and yes. I'm sure people will back out. Maybe you can get on a waitlist?

1 week later
#571 8 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

Anyone have a handy list of rubber bands needed to fully outfit an EBD?? Thanks...

Made this for the LE. Should be the same though.

https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/view/id/39

1 week later
#585 8 years ago

Anyone know what kind of switch I need at the outhole? Mines all beat up and I want to get a new one in there as it acts flaky from time to time. I'm sure it's just a generic switch but want to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks!

#587 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Single contact, normally open, short length leaf switch with return resistance bar.
http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/BLY_Parts_1981/index.html
Switch #ASW-A1-143
I am assuming you are not talking about the rollover wire.
In essence, a WMS style flipper EoS switch used for the outhole (by reversing it) or part of a pop bumper switch, in a pinch.
Might want to test your solenoid expander board under the playfield first, as these go bad over time and cause outhole kicker issues that are unrelated to the switch, but will make it look like the switch is bad when it is not.

Thanks. I think it's the switch because if the ball goes into the outhole and doesn't end my ball. Then if I open the coin door and manually close the switch it works. So for now I have it gapped very very close. I would just like to have a new switch on hand. If you still think it could be my SEB, I would need further assistance on testing that.

Thanks again.

#589 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Before replacing the switch, take a scotchbrite and scuff up the contacts a bit. You've got nothing to lose. I use a Dremel with a fibrous buffing wheel and just give the contacts a quick pulse. I haven't had to replace a switch yet.

Too late. Haha. Had a NO switch that fit in that position. Works fine now, but we will see if it starts acting wonky too. Here's a pic of the old switch contacts.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#591 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I recommend a contact file for burnishing, as I am not a fan of dremels as they are too aggressive.
That switch still has life in it yet, unless there is some type of electrical arcing causing corrosion that should NOT be occurring.
If it does give up the ghost, you can pry it apart and rebuild one with other sized leaf switches, if you cannot find an original.
You can even use a small drop of solder on the contacts to build up the surface area, but that is only for temporary purposes.
burnishingtool_(resized).jpg

It's funny you mentioned solder cause that looks like what happened with this switch at one point.

#597 7 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

When I get a totally-trashed 35 year old switch like that I just replace it with a brand-new one. Then it is good for the rest of my life at least. Anything else is a short-lived Band-Aid that you will be sure to be revisiting unless your plan is to just get it working and sell it.

Yeah I don't see me selling this thing, so new switch for me.

1 week later
#623 7 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

Will do. Difficult to follow wires in cables and even more so at the head of the PF. Just not a lot of space to poke your noggin. Is it bad form to flip the playfield in place and support it on a sheet of stiff ply (the cable harness at the head looks plenty long enough to accommodate this).. Easier access would make wire inspection/ signal tracing a damn sight easier ; )

Learning how to read the schematics helps understand what wires are doing what too. I know it looks insane at first, but if I can figure it out, anyone can. Haha

#629 7 years ago
Quoted from kjgolf:

I got the playfield fuse issue fixed, but there is continuous power to the pop bumper which burned up the coil. Can someone help a novice with good directions?

In my experience you have a bad transistor on the solenoid driver board that's in the head of the game. Not sure which one it is though. Try and check the schematics. Once you find it, replace it.

#630 7 years ago

Did this coil lock on the second you powered on the game?

1 month later
#725 7 years ago

Anybody have any quality game card stock files for printing?
Any custom ones out there? I use the 3 ball settings, if you happen to have the file.

Looks like the stock ones are here.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=Right+ball+deluxe&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

1 week later
#734 7 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I have both in my 8BD

I have just the main board as alltek and my LEDs work fine throughout the whole game.

1 week later
#751 7 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

I'm hoping someone can save me some (more) digging with the part number and/or source for the trough switch for EBD. I think someone filed it down previously and its finally given up.
tia

I just used a basic NO switch for mine. I think they were from Big Daddy's.

#754 7 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

That makes it easy...thanks. Did yours come with a diode? If not, you know which diode they use?

I just reused the same diode.

#768 7 years ago

I'd say 500. If the sound board cannot be repaired, not sure how hard those are to find, but there is no aftermarket option that I know of.

#770 7 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

Hey guys. I'm taking a few minutes to re-rubber the EBD and am finding a few of the posts to be pretty wobbly once the old rings are removed. What's the best practice approach to fixing these? We used to fill the holes w/ plastic wood or sawdust/ Elmer's combo then redrill. Any better ways ? Tnx..

I make a mixture of saw dust and wood glue til it's the consistency of tuna salad (actually looks like it too). Then I use a very small flat head screw driver and plug the hole the post sits over. Wipe away the excess that's around the hole, let it sit over night, then put the post back. Should be able to make it as tight as you want.

#781 7 years ago
Quoted from Farmboss:

Did a search but could not find out how to disable the attract mode. Is it possible?

What do you mean? The attract sounds can def be turned off. You want the light show to be turned off too?

#783 7 years ago
Quoted from Farmboss:

No I am just trying to turn off the voice, not sure how it is done.

Check the manual on ipdb.org. I cannot pull it up right now. Internet is messed. Should be an adjustment in the menus or a dip switch setting.

#797 7 years ago

Each additional time you complete ABCD another pop bumper starts flashing.

#805 7 years ago

I have mine jacked up too. Probably 7 degrees.

1 month later
#852 7 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

What's a nice LE worth these days?

1,500-1,700 maybe? Not really sure.

1 month later
#922 7 years ago

Tech question...the ball eject coil is firing on the EBD, but the lever not hitting hard enough for ball to make it to the shooter lane. Pushing it manually, it doesn't seem to be binding up at all. Just like the coil not firing strong enough. I've read either the coil fires or doesn't if it's bad. What could cause this?

Maybe the spring is worn out or is the wrong kind. I'd look there.

2 weeks later
#937 7 years ago
Quoted from Off-Kilter:

Totally agree with you on the incandescent bulbs, I don't understand why people put leds in old Bally/Williams games. They usually look just terrible. I can see putting them in the backglass area and maybe some inserts but for general illumination JUST DON"T DO IT.

My EBD Looked exactly the same as the above picture and it was all LEDs. It's possible to make it look nice IMO.

#951 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I just got a EBD. When i got it home and turned it on, no power. Completely dead. I borrowed my fathers EBD transformer and power board. Mine now comes on, but will not play a game. Any ideas? No sound, no displays, won't start a game and no sound..

Does it boot correctly?

#956 7 years ago

What are the best connectors to replace all of mine and where is best place to get them?

Got mine from Great Plains electronics. EBD is all .100 and .156 connectors I believe.

1 week later
#958 7 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

Need to replace the plastic ball guides. Is there anyone offering plastic repro's or better still metal ?? Tnx guys..

Cliffys has metal ones.

#961 7 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

Cliffy's offers Williams spec ball return guides but I don't see Bally (unless I'm just missing them). Is anyone offering the laser-cut lexan guides commercially??

http://www.passionforpinball.com/FlipFrames.htm

Here's the page I was talking about. I think I just emailed him and asked for the ones for EBD.

#964 7 years ago

Congrats!! I loved mine

Quoted from MMP:

Do those Cliffy return lane guides eliminate the ball hop?

Yep. I also got some of the slim silicone flipper rings from Titan that I tried first but it didn't quite get me there. The cliffys did the trick.

#972 7 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I was reading Vid's guide to LEDs but guess I am still confused. So with this board there is no need for soldering resistors to the lamps? When testing a few bulb outages I noticed some inserts are already fine, and some totally flicker. I'm pretty much ok with the look of incandescent in the inserts, but damn it gets hot... I can feel heat on the top of the playfield.

For my LE all I needed for using LEDs everywhere without issue was the alltek lamp board. no aux lamp board changes needed at all.

But yes the lamp board eliminates the need for resistors on each socket. My playfield got supper hot too. The LEDs helped with that.

2 weeks later
#1035 7 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I wonder if any of you longtime Pinball Resource buyers have ever compiled a list of common parts and part numbers for EBD and games of that era. It would be cool of there was some sort of list that everyone could update as parts are ordered.
I like to stock up on parts even before I need them, but in this case it's harder to do.
Another question- are there repro aprons available? (not just the decals)

Detailed parts catalogs are on the PPS website. Game specific as well as common parts.

2 weeks later
#1065 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

When I bought my most recent EBD, it was mostly LED'd on the topside of the PF. Backbox, inserts etc however are still incandescent. Likely going to convert to full LED. Maybe not the backbox, but maybe. Do I need to upgrade just the lamp driver board, or the aux lamp board too?

In my LE all that was needed is the main lamp board.

2 weeks later
#1079 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Question EBD owners. Just recently shopped mine out. All new targets etc. Everything works fine, except the 8 ball target drops without hitting it. Enough nudge on the machine or one good vibration and she drops. Not the switch, it's fine. Plus when the machine is off,and the PF is up, I just give the housing around it underneath a swift slap and it drops. Spring or ? Any ideas?

was this target replaced too? Is the housing for the drop target worn at all? The shelf that the target sits on when up. Was the old target too sensitive too?

#1081 7 years ago

Maybe the housing isn't sitting far enough forward? I had new targets that were too sensitive because the notch on the target that hangs on the housing when the target was up was way smaller than the stock target making it fall down way too easy. I carved out a bit more to give it more room to sit up there is that makes sense.

#1083 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Somewhat makes sense I suppose. The entire "housing" underneath I did not take off. Just the bottom side so I could disassemble the target from the coil etc. I would think if you if you carved out more of that notch it'd be even more sensitive? Notch looks the same on on the new vs old if your referring to this notch.

Yep that's what I was talking about. That's all I got sorry. Haha. I took the housing completely apart on mine so that's weird you're having this issue with just replacing the target.

Btw did your dog get to that old target? Hahaha

#1085 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Appreciate the input. Not sure what I'll do from here. Maybe disassemble it again and put it back together? Wish my dog got to the old target God rest his German Shepherd soul. He was our only kid....

Sorry to hear. Losing pets is horrible.

#1090 7 years ago
Quoted from easilybaffled:

I'm not exactly following what you want to see, but my playfield is out while I do some cabinet works. So based on these, what do you want to see? Disclaimer: I have never played this game since I picked it up. It obviously has a broken target. I'm only assuming it works otherwise.

He needs pics of the 8 ball target I think. The single one up the top right side by the saucer.

1 week later
#1100 7 years ago

Whoa. Looks way better than an OG eight ball target if you ask me.

1 week later
#1105 7 years ago

Is there any where in this game to get 12V DC for LED Strips? LE version and the flourescent is shot.
I can't find 12Vs. Although the schematics show 11.9V (5 unregulated). Not sure what that means.

If you're only using two strips I was able to use TP2 from the MPU I believe. However my strips were only drawing 6v maybe. Unsure as I got them custom made from Rock pinball.

#1113 7 years ago

What do you mean custom made? Led strips are just cut the length you need and wire it in... what do you mean custom?

He cut them to length perfectly and had them all connected already with plenty of slack and alligator clips to clip to the TP point on the board. I didn't know how to do any of that.

1 week later
#1149 7 years ago

Looks nice except for the Steelers posts and rubbers. Yuck. Haha

#1153 7 years ago
Quoted from jrobinso99:

I agree 100%. Games originally designed to be linear should stay linear. It absolutely impacts game play, especially tap passes which are a key strategy on these early Bally titles. If your linear flippers are not playing right they just need to be fixed not replaced.
-Jay

I like the way they play too. i bet some people do it purely from a cost saving perspective. linear flipper rebuilds are like twice as expensive as other types of flipper mechs.

1 month later
#1186 7 years ago
Quoted from Humph:

I just received an EBD plastics set from Bay Area Amusements, but don't know where this particular clear plastic goes.
It's pictured on Bay Area's website, but I can't find a home for it on the playfield.
There is another plastic I received in the set not pictured on Bay Area's website, but is the clear plastic left of the eight ball drop target.
Thanks in advance.

Do you have the one that goes to the right of the eight ball target ?

#1188 7 years ago
Quoted from Humph:

Yes, I do have that (much longer) piece.

Oh okay that picture made it seem bigger. Not sure then. Haven't shopped one in like 2 years and the one to the right of the drop target is all I can remember. It has to be up somewhere around the 8 ball target or the inlines. I would think if it's used at all it will be pretty obvious when you're putting the game back together.

1 week later
#1204 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

You might have to add a wire rod across the bank,
in order to prevent the hyperextension of the reset
bar.

This was the only thing I found that worked.

#1206 6 years ago
Quoted from shutyertrap:

Any chance of a photo to see what you did?

Sorry. Sold the game but there is a round hole on either side of the target bank. I just went to Home Depot and found a rod that fit in there and cut it down to size. What I does is limit the targets' height as they reset. Let's them reset enough to stand back up, but no too much so that the target gets out of its slot. That's what is happening on your game. When they reset they move off the track and can't be dropped down until they are set back into their track.

1 month later
#1286 6 years ago

Mine shipped too! passing onto a friend that could use it more than me, but very pleased with how quickly this ship after payment. Will not hesitate to get in on a preorder for another playfield.

4 months later
#1513 6 years ago

Is there a list of test point values? My game is resetting, power issue I believe.
LE version if it makes a difference.
Thanks!

Schematics should tell ya.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 179.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bloomsburg, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well?tu=chuckwurt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.