IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1324 Explanation of paints used for screen printing Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1325 What happens when white is used as a base in paint Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1331 Double screening on playfields Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #2099 Note changing some GI and chase light sockets: bulbs may sit too high. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Post #2103 Correct bulb holder to fit bulbs. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Humph.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#654 7 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Wow I'm flattered. I do like the EBD though guys and it is probably the main reason I became so interested in getting into these machines after the fact. EBD was a significant part of my youth back in the early 80s as thousands of hours were spent feeding them quarters. Then when I went to college they even had one in the Student Union.
We were kind of snobbish back then and looked down on some of the other titles. It was different when you actually had to pay to play. Like most kids I had a limited supply of quarters to spend at the arcades so I didn't just throw them in any old machine. Sometimes it takes several plays before you really start to appreciate how good a game really is.
Now years later after I have played the crap out of most of the Bally SS titles from the era I have a greater appreciation for the others but EBD still reigns as #1 all time in my book.
It's funny because whenever I bring an EBD to a pinball show I always have three things happen.
1) Tons of people ask me if it is for sale.
2) Several hard-core pin fans in my age group come over and tell me stories of how they think EBD is the greatest pin ever made and how much it influenced them back in the days too and how much they love it, etc.
3) Even after I tell people the machine isn't for sale they still bug the crap out of me to sell it. lol
I think anyone who restores Bally SS pins will tell you even if they had a warehouse full of restored EBD pins they could sell them all faster than any other title. Herb Silvers at Fabulous Fantasies has probably restored and sold hundreds of them out there in California. I always have one in my personal collection at all times. The one I have now is definitely a keeper that I doubt I will ever sell.
Just look at these three indicating factors as to the popularity of EBD:
1) Of all the titles to choose from, Eight Ball Deluxe was the machine AMTEX chose to make their landmark pinball simulation PC based game. They could have chosen any title but went with EBD. Later they released Gottlieb "Royal Flush" which was arguably the most-iconic EM from the 70s.
2) Of all the Bally titles, Eight Ball Deluxe & Kiss were the two IPB chose to make the lion's share of reproduction playfields & plastics for.
3) CPR is now planning their second production run of the EBD playfields & plastics and the pre-order list was filled faster than any other title I think they've ever had. And this comes after they made a large batch just a couple years ago. After CPR sells all of them there will still be people on here nagging them to make more.

Yes, I agree EBD is the best SS pin as it was my pin of choice in my youth of 70s-80s.

I have a 1981 EBD in tough shape (complete with boot marks on the cabinet from people kicking it while playing it in a bar), but will be restoring it so I may bend your ear a few times Gatecrasher if you don't mind.

5 months later
#893 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

The hardest part is looking at both sides at the same time.

The late Marty Feldman could prolly do it.

2 months later
#1063 7 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

They used to show them in the gallery but they don't seem to be there anymore.
Here are some pictures I copied from the CPR website back when they had them in their gallery. They still have the protective coating on them in the pic.

Second on that topper, I'd love to have one on my soon-to-be restored 1981 EBD - available anywhere?

Gatecrasher - Do you still sell BG lift channels, BG trim parts, & other stainless steel hardware for EBD?

I'm going to be getting into a full resto soon on my thrashed, routed 1981 EBD (complete w/ black boot marks on the cabinet sides & ugly lock bar on the coin door) & am in need of some parts.

So far I have or is on order a CPR playfield, Shay's BG & plastic set, pinpimp stencil kit, flipper rebuild kits, & new drop target set.

Haven't delved into boards yet, but it does play O.K. & talk, although I'll probably end up repinning connectors, etc.

#1074 7 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Yeah you're right. It's like those repop score cards that say "Eightball Deluxe" instead of the correct "Eight Ball Deluxe".
I think I have like 3 of the toppers brand-new with the protective coating still on the pieces.

Wiiling to part with one, by chance?

#1075 7 years ago

Gatecrasher -- Also would like to buy EBD BG lift channel & trim plus stainless steel hardware from you ...

2 months later
#1169 7 years ago

Has anyone ordered a plastics set recently from Shay's for an EBD?

I ordered a backglass & plastics set & paid for them both last December.

Received the BG O.K. a couple months ago, but no sign of the plastics set.

I think I saw Bay Area Amusements has a plastics set in stock so am thinking of cancelling my PayPal order to Shay's.

Should I give Shay's more time?

#1171 7 years ago

Thx -- will do, that's my next step.

#1173 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Hey Humphrey you going to start working on that EDB soon?

Gettin' stuff together, gotta build a rotisserie next

3 weeks later
#1185 6 years ago

I just received an EBD plastics set from Bay Area Amusements, but don't know where this particular clear plastic goes.
It's pictured on Bay Area's website, but I can't find a home for it on the playfield.

There is another plastic I received in the set not pictured on Bay Area's website, but is the clear plastic left of the eight ball drop target.

Thanks in advance.

EBD plastic (resized).jpgEBD plastic (resized).jpg

#1187 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Do you have the one that goes to the right of the eight ball target ?

Yes, I do have that (much longer) piece.

#1189 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Oh okay that picture made it seem bigger. Not sure then. Haven't shopped one in like 2 years and the one to the right of the drop target is all I can remember. It has to be up somewhere around the 8 ball target or the inlines. I would think if it's used at all it will be pretty obvious when you're putting the game back together.

Thanks Chuck, I'll check again.
I haven't torn down anything on the playfield as yet (original plastics still in place), but was able to match everything up for the new set except for that one piece.

#1191 6 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

There are a couple mistakes with the clear plastics for Eight Ball Deluxe that have been perpetuated over the years even in the reproduction sets. The piece you have shown is an extra clear plastic piece that is incorrect and not used. The holes in the lower bottom lane guides are also usually incorrect.
This has been discussed many times before in other threads.
Just throw the incorrect piece away. You don't need it and no one knows why it was ever included.
Eventually someone will make a reproduction set that doesn't have the extra incorrect piece. Apparently the original replacement plastics sets from Bally had this error and no one who made the reproductions has ever known enough about the game to get rid of it or spot the lower lane guide holes in the correct location. They just continue to copy them and perpetuate the errors. At least it's an extra piece and not one you need to remake.
Here's a picture of a CPR Eighth Ball Deluxe plastics set. Just like every one of these ever made it has the two errors. The extra piece you have plus the lower clear lane guides have the holes in the wrong location.

That explains it !!
Thanks for your patience and explanation.
I was beginning to think I needed a new eyeglass prescription.

1 month later
#1328 6 years ago

Thanks Kevin for explaining the logistics & physics of your work - cool stuff.

I'm looking forward to getting my EBD playfield & into my resto.

#1337 6 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

PLASTICS - We're not allowed to right now because there was a huge IPB stash unearthed in their buyout, and currently still available, via BAA and PPS. So plastics (albeit not ours) are available.
BACKGLASSES - We're not allowed to right now because Shay just ran them a month or two ago. So glasses (albeit not ours) are available. I don't see Shay listing them for sale (oddly) but I know a person who bought a couple. Plus Shay posted about them here on Pinside. I don't have any answers, nor would I speculate.

FWIW, I ordered an EBD BG from Shay's in December last year after contacting via e-mail.

For whatever reason they are not listed on his website, but I was instructed to order a Spiderman BG using their website, but make a note that I actually want an EBD BG.

Received the EBD BG O.K., though, but was half-expecting I would get a SM BG.

Kind of an odd way of doing business.

#1345 6 years ago

LOL, now that would be a very cool BG!

4 weeks later
#1374 6 years ago

Big shout out to Gatecrasher for supplying me with some EBD resto parts.
Great quality & prices, and received items in just a few days.

Highly recommended.

2 weeks later
#1409 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I had new trim made for the pf. I wanted a wood look instead of the black. Trying to bring out the wood from the pf outlanes. I had the special cuts done at a local woodworker shop. $50 total for the wood and labor, not bad. Stain color is Minwax bombay mahogany.

That looks interesting.

Does it blend well with the outlanes & can you post pics after installation ?

I may want to do something similar during my EBD resto.

#1410 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I had new trim made for the pf. I wanted a wood look instead of the black. Trying to bring out the wood from the pf outlanes. I had the special cuts done at a local woodworker shop. $50 total for the wood and labor, not bad. Stain color is Minwax bombay mahogany.

Also, is that oak wood?

Thanks also for the CPR playfield heads up.
I got my pf from CPR a few weeks ago, but haven't done anything with it yet (letting it cure).

#1412 6 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Man, I would keep it original. But then I suppose it's not permanent & you could swap it back.

Think I'll glue a few dozen miniature billiard balls all over my new plastics & mod it up ...

#1415 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

It does blend well with the brown by the outlanes. Yes it is solid oak. I have seen this look on other games but it's usually a veneer instead. I will take a few pics when the wood is dry, I can just sit them on the pf. And yes, I can switch them back to black if necessary. I have 3 coats of stain on them now and the color is much deeper.
I was comparing my plastics set with some of the dimples on the top side of the pf. Some didn't match up. There are a few sources of repro plastics so yours can vary. Don't predrill any holes before installing the plastics. I typically place the plastics on the studs that have the machine screw thread. You can't change this position and then you can predrill the holes once you are certain the plastic is in place. This mainly pertains to the 2 large uppers, the one that covers the multiplier drops and the 8 ball drop. Actually don't predrill any holes before you are certain where each part goes. VAriations in pf's from one mfr. to another can cause holes to not match up. This is due to the fact that the donor pf used on the repro could be different and/or not transfered correctly.

Thanks for the info Lovef2k.

I bought my plastic set from Bay Area Amusements so I will see how things line up with my CPR pf.

Looks like I will be making a few adjustments before committing to drilling holes, etc.

Thatsa pinball !!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Humph.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well?tu=Humph and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.