IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1324 Explanation of paints used for screen printing Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1325 What happens when white is used as a base in paint Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1331 Double screening on playfields Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #2099 Note changing some GI and chase light sockets: bulbs may sit too high. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Post #2103 Correct bulb holder to fit bulbs. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FatPanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3108 3 years ago

Happy to have had the opportunity to join the club over the weekend with an LE. It's been on my list for a while and happy to get EBD in either classic form or LE form.

After a brief looking over, I notice that most, if not all of the lamps are wedge base. I want to fit this game with LEDs; do these still strobe like crazy without an LED board?

#3110 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Same lamp driver boards so yes, some LEDs will flicker without using one of the few solutions going around.

Thanks Quench! Is there a way to solder a resistor onto the wedge socket? Would I do it across the leads?

#3121 3 years ago

Mine has lamp boards with twist sockets in them. I don't mind doing the work. A resistor is a penny or less, otherwise the addon boards are $45 and $30 for the main lamp board and an aux, lamp board (I thought I saw one). I already have the resistors, so I should be good there.

Quoted from Quench:

You should be able to solder resistors directly across the socket where the connections go into the base. You may have to sand the connections though to get the solder to stick.
Not sure if the LE has any twist socket lamp boards but you could solder the resistors directly on the board.

I will have to take a closer look to see what's exposed/not exposed. If it's too difficult to access and solder, then I will just have to plunk down the money to get the boards.

1 week later
#3146 3 years ago

How is the wood underneath? You might have to fill the hole with a toothpick or use a bigger screw.

#3150 3 years ago

I'm having a bit of a problem. I swapped Comet LEDs into my game. Added resistors to the twist sockets, but the rest of them seem to be ok. No resistors on the GI but those are LED also. Now, I'm having problems with 3 solenoids. The outhole kicker, the saucer kicker, and the 4 bank reset. Running through solenoid test, when the game calls for these 3 solenoids, they fire different solenoids instead. I checked underneath the PF, and cant see any obvious shorts. It was playing fine before the LED swap. Any thoughts?

It has an alltek solenoid driver board.

#3154 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Iirc those coils are controlled by the solenoid expander board. Try re-seating the connector.

I reseated the connector. The connector was replaced at one point. I didnt do any soldering in that area either. Speaking of which, I must've gotten a game that the intern worked on because the solder jobs are bad.

No changes. When the 4 bank solenoid should fire, it fires the 2 ball target; saucer fires the ball bank reset; and outhole fires the 1 ball target.

#3155 3 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

You didn't happen to put a LED in the socket near the solenoid expander board under the playfield did you? That will mess things up. It has to be an incandescent bulb.

I did . I swapped an incandescent back in. What damage would I have done? Still behaves the same after the incandescent was put back in. Why is that even there?

#3156 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

No need for resistors on GI lamps. They are not switched.

No resistors on GI.

#3158 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Sounds like you installed a LED under the playfield next to the Solenoid Expander Board (SEB). You must use an old fashioned incandescent lamp there otherwise the expander board cannot switch to those solenoids you're missing.
Alternatively solder an 82 ohm 1 Watt resistor across that lamp socket next to the SEB and never worry about blown lamps causing the SEB not to work.

I did and replaced the bulb with an incandescent. How do I get the proper solenoids to fire at this point?

#3160 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Is that lamp flashing in lamp test mode? If yes, the solenoid expander should click when that lamp illuminates. If not, maybe you installed a faulty incandescent?

The lamp does not light in lamp test mode. The lamp does work in a working socket.

#3161 3 years ago

This bulb, right?

20200712_130505 (resized).jpg20200712_130505 (resized).jpg

#3163 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Looks like the two thin blue wires tab has bent and shorted against the metal tab that screws the socket to the playfield where lamp power is connected.

I checked that and it isnt shorted against anything.

#3165 3 years ago

Do you have 6 VDC on the screwed tab?
I have 7.0 V

If you temporarily jumper a wire from the two thin blue wires to ground, does the lamp illuminate?
Yes

Do you have continuity from the thin blue wire to the lamp driver board at pin 11 of J3?
Yes

Does grounding the metal tab of SCR Q54 on the lamp driver board illuminate the lamp?
No

Does connecting a jumper wire from test point TP3 on the lamp driver board to the "Gate" leg of SCR Q54 illuminate the lamp?
No

Can i presume that i need to replace SCR Q54?

#3170 3 years ago

Thanks for the help guys! I will do more investigation/rework later today and will report back. I don't have any of those SCRs on-hand, but it appears that there are a few unused ones that I can swap around.

The alltec board is the SDB, the lamp board is still factory. When I ground the tab of the lamp, the lamp lights and I can hear the relay on the SEB clicking.

I will have to take off the lamp board to investigate anyway, so I will see if there's continuity between the tab of the SCR to the pin. Maybe I wasn't jumpering the wire properly, plug I was having my just-turned-5 yr old tell me if the lamp was lighting or not, so my assistant may have been a bit under-qualified

#3171 3 years ago

So grounding the metal tab to the rail doesnt light the lamp, but connecting the tab with the blue wires to the metal tab on Q54 does light the lamp.

#3172 3 years ago

Uhhhhh yeah....

20200713_155430 (resized).jpg20200713_155430 (resized).jpg
#3174 3 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Time for a jumper wire

I repaired it with a jumper wire and now the light is on all the time and the ball bank reset coils dont work. Looking again at the schematic, I cant find any of those SCRs that are unused, so I'll probably have to order some.

I assume that the gate isnt working on that SCR?

#3176 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Swipe the one from the 2nd "E" backbox letter it's not like that one lights too often so you can at least get going.
I wonder what took out the trace in the first place?

Probably me putting an LED bulb in the socket pictured above?

1 week later
#3190 3 years ago

Is it just me, or does this game score a lot of 1K and 500 pt increments? I see a lot of XXX,000 scores or XXX,500 scores. Occasionally a XXX,030 or XXX,530 score (I think one of the switches by the pops scores 30 pts.) Just making sure that my scoring is correct!

#3192 3 years ago

The next time someone plays, let me know what types of points you're getting. I thought that pops and slings would score in the hundreds, but maybe not. I haven't played this game enough to know exactly what scores what. I'll have to double check mine again, I just found it odd.

#3205 3 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

LED recommendations?

I just did Comet 2SMD in sunlight in mine and it mostly went fine. What I did (with the game off obviously) is took a flat head and gently pried opened the wedge socket and the bulb fit in without too much fuss.

Newb note: DON'T replace the bulb under the playfield next to the solenoid expander board!

#3206 3 years ago

So I confirmed that my pop bumpers scored 1K when lit solid, slings scored 500, and that there were only 2 "rubber" switches by the pops that scored 30. All other scoring switches scored their proper value, usually in the thousands. I would have thought there would have been some 100 switches somewhere, but guess not...unless there is?

3 months later
#3422 3 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

I saw there was some talk about people who removed the ballast and changed it to a LED light tube in place. I have to see if I can find those posts again....

Report back what you find. I would be interested in converting mine to LEDs also. I thought maybe these strips would work somehow.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07T2PVDFY/ref=twister_B08K32VBFS

5V strip that could be tapped off of the GI line?

#3425 3 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Looking to FINALLY rebuild my flippers. At least the lowers, not the upper. Where is the best place to get rebuild kits? PBL, PBR, Marco or? And, any tips or do's and don't's? 1st time rebuilding flippers so....

7yrs on Pinsde and the first time rebuilding flippers?! You're 6.5 years overdue

#3428 3 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Yeah, pretty sad isn't it. Well, I don't normally keep pins a long time for starters. And i've had great luck with what i have and had. Just that i had my 2nd EBD now for roughly 5 years and it's time. Plus one flipper just has been bugging me for over 2 years. Like it has a mind of it's own sometimes.

It's not hard. I've had good results from Pinball Life as well as Pinball Resource. Quality parts IMO from either place. Make sure you get a flipper gauge or cut one out of an old credit card for spacing the flipper bat to the bushing:
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-300-0162-00

#3431 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

For a while there Marco's was including a flipper gauge in their rebuild kits but the last one I got a few months ago didn't have it. Glad I still had one laying around from a previous order.

In a pinch, you can use an old gift card/credit card, etc. It's a similar thickness so should work without any issues.

#3432 3 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Thanks Quy for the link. Guessing when the time comes, i'll just use a credit card or something similar. Sure it will be awhile, like dead of winter when there is NOTHING to do..

No problem Scott! Feel free to post up any questions you have while doing it. Just me, but I would do all 3 flippers. It completely changes how the game plays.

#3436 3 years ago

toothpick, wood glue, redrill hole

2 months later
#3750 3 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Yes the chase lights will still flicker even with the Alltek led boards. There was some discussion about it here awhile back. It annoyed me to. The only real fix that I know of is to put regular incandescent bulbs in those sockets. They will not flicker. That’s what I did. I put regular incandescents on everything above the playfield (GI and those chase lights) and LEDs everywhere else.

Solder a resistor across the socket and it won't flicker. I usually use a 470 ohm (IIRC).

#3785 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

If I get the Seigecraft LED adapters, will that reduce the flickering? I already have the Alltek lamp driver and aux lamp driver boards, but still have some flickering (most obviously on the "chase" lights along the two outer lanes). I really don't want to start soldering individual resistors.

IME, the Seigecraft boards do a pretty good job, but I've had a few that still flicker. After getting them for a few games, I just decided to do the resistors. You wont need to do every socket, each game is different. Some will be more, some less. Resistors are super cheap.

The Alltek boards are supposed to eliminate the need for any LED solution, so I would be a bit disappointed.

#3789 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Yeah, I talked with the guy at Seigecraft and he said that that his adapters wouldn't help if I already have the Alltek boards. I am thinking that it may be a power issue as I have noticed that the flickering gets worse the longer that the machine is turned on. My power board is pretty hacked up, so it could easily be a part of the problem. I have a new power board arriving soon, and will give that a try.
I really don't want to start soldering individual resistors (as my soldering skills suck). The flickering is not really bad, just enough to be noticeable.

Soldering large components is easy just get your iron hot enough. Work hot and fast. You can do one in a minute or so.

But yeah, get your PS going first if you think that might be an issue.

2 months later
#4024 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I'd get a closer look at the J1 connector and verify all the wires are in the correct slots. I also noticed something that appears a bit off, might want to get a closer look at the wiring here in particular... Is that exposed wiring?
[quoted image]
Perhaps they had to add length to some of the wiring or splice 2 wires to one for some of the slots on the female connector. Make sure that wiring is all insulated in any case, perhaps there's some clear insulation around the splices (or whatever that may be). Maybe it's just the angle of the photo or something, but it seems like that might be a potential source of trouble.
I was hoping the new board would fix the problem too

Looks like some spliced wiring with clear vinyl tubing, instead of traditional heat shrink. Just me, but I would properly re-splice those wires and use heat shrink.

#4025 2 years ago
Quoted from ElectricLou:

Everything Looks good
[quoted image]

You said that the lamps were working when you tested the game before sale?

#4029 2 years ago
Quoted from ElectricLou:

The seller told me it was working great. The price was good so I bought it without playing it.

So that was your first mistake Just me, but first thing to do is move this ground braid attached to the board down to the ground braid in the backbox.
2d34cb849704d420ce74d006a36ab9e687d440a9 (resized).jpg2d34cb849704d420ce74d006a36ab9e687d440a9 (resized).jpg

EDIT : I guess I was a little slow on my response and is seems that you've spotted it already.

1 week later
#4082 2 years ago

*Some* people are replacing the flipper mech that is not the linear design. Let's just be clear on that.

#4085 2 years ago
Quoted from TomKatt:

Point taken. In fact, I am one of the 'many' who retain the original linear design... Works fine for me.

Glad you're in the cool club

1 week later
#4156 2 years ago

I have both EBDLE and CII. I don't/can't have them set up side by side (one day), but they grow on you after a time, and when you're playing, the cabinet style doesn't really matter.

#4169 2 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

I’m getting balls hitting the glass off the slings. I’m wondering since it’s a CPR if maybe the arms are too close or too far away or not perfectly square to the rubber. If the holes were off the alignment could be off. It probably doesn’t take much to throw it off.

I find that the dimple marks on the 2 CPR swaps I've done so far are not accurate at all, in regards to mounting the mechs. If you think that the sling shot arm isn't sitting centered and squarely in the holes, I would fill the screw holes and remount the mechs and try that out.

4 weeks later
#4205 2 years ago
Quoted from Staythirsty:

Perfect thanks! Can’t wait to get this beauty up and flipping
[quoted image]

Please put the right flipper bats in your game! Mech talk aside, I think we are all on the same page as far as flipper bats go.

3 months later
#4333 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

It may be your lucky day then--i was on their site recently and noticed they have EBD in stock (at least according to their site): https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/ebd-playfield/

So tempting. I've got a Centuar II and a Joker Poker both in line for pf swaps. My EBDLE has a decent playfield, but a fresh new pf is hard to say no to...

6 months later
#4661 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

The '81 is my preferred one, followed by the 84, and the LE last. That cab is fine for MMPM and RF, but anything else it was used for C2 and EBDLE I don't like (although it is shorter, so fits under a flight of stairs better)

I prefer the 81' version as well, but I got both of my LE and CII for about half the cost of their OG counterparts. At the end of the day, when I'm playing, the cabinet is the last thing on my mind. Plus it grows on you.

1 week later
#4699 1 year ago

You can always test your connections with a DMM if you really wanted. Some people just replace them altogether for reliability, and with the SEB, it's a small enough connector. But reflowing solder and testing with a DMM should make you informed enough.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 199.95
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 179.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FatPanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well?tu=FatPanda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.