IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1324 Explanation of paints used for screen printing Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1325 What happens when white is used as a base in paint Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1331 Double screening on playfields Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #2099 Note changing some GI and chase light sockets: bulbs may sit too high. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Post #2103 Correct bulb holder to fit bulbs. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dakine747.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4351 2 years ago

Does anyone know definitively if the original '81 EBD had blue ribbed playfield posts, or red??? I'm a bit of a purist with playfield parts, and I often refer to high resolution images on the original flyers. The original flyer for the '81 EBD shows RED posts, while a LOT of playfield restorations I'm seeing have blue. Anybody still own the original??? Thank you!!

#4353 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

1) The brochure has the picture of the sample production.
1a) The sample production game has red posts.
2) The game's production run has light blue ribbed posts.
2a) New reproduced ribbed posts are dark blue.
3) EBD was also made with a sample 6803 cpu with alpha numeric displays.

Thank you!! Cheers!

1 week later
#4362 2 years ago

As of last Saturday, I’m a card-carrying member of the club with a beautifully restored ‘81….

YeeeeeeeHAAAWWW!!

6E4F25C6-19DA-4EF7-9543-9C4A749CDEBC (resized).jpeg6E4F25C6-19DA-4EF7-9543-9C4A749CDEBC (resized).jpeg9BD75F57-9789-4F07-A14E-71B501B22806 (resized).jpeg9BD75F57-9789-4F07-A14E-71B501B22806 (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#4459 2 years ago
Quoted from KJL:

Thanks for all the help so far on my EBD project . I would like to ask you if my game came with the correct hardware to hold the plastics on the top half of the playfield.
Here is a picture of my game currently with the exact same hardware that it came with. There is only one machine post screw/stud for all that plastic. Looking at the plastics there appears to be an opportunity for 2 more which I have circled in red that are currently machine screws. Here is a link to an example, it could have a screw or a stud base https://www.pinballlife.com/machine-poststud-530-5012-02.html
What does you game look like? Where are the machine post studs/screws on your game with a wood screw or machine screw bottom?
Thanks,
Kenny
[quoted image]

I picked mine up the same way! I added a couple in the exact same places you circled, though on the right, I added one to the eight-ball lane to give it a more symmetrical appearance. I honestly can't remember why I didn't use one behind the mini post though. Hmmm....I might have to investigate further. Also, can't remember if they were wood or machine screws, since I just replaced what was in there with a post with the same thread pattern.

IMG_5953 (resized).jpgIMG_5953 (resized).jpgIMG_5955 (resized).jpgIMG_5955 (resized).jpg
#4460 2 years ago

I also added one here, if for no other reason than to make the plastic easier to remove, but since the left side plastic right above the sling has two, it made it look a little more symmetrical.

IMG_5974[223] (resized).jpgIMG_5974[223] (resized).jpg
1 month later
#4472 2 years ago
Quoted from TonyP66:

Being that EBD is my first pin I have been reading about general pin maintenance etc. I have read about playfield protectors and am assuming these are for the edges of the playfield around objects. Is that correct? Do any of you use them on your EBD? Is it overkill on a home machine? Any input appreciated as I love my EBD!

Agree with Mathazar on all points. I use them on my Bally Playboy and my Skateball to preserve the playfield art. My EBD, Centaur and Fathom have CPR restos, so regular waxing makes their use redundant. Keep in mind that if used with your EBD, you may have to raise your inline drop targets or increase the pitch of the machine, since slower balls might get hung up there.

2 weeks later
#4516 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Didn't see any pictures. Was going to super band the game, did everyone just stick with white pf rubber and yellow on flippers? Any color look good for the game?

Candy apple red flipper bats with white Titan silicones on mine, for that little extra pop of color.

088D540B-6DDE-4F9E-A579-5E5842C46EDF (resized).jpeg088D540B-6DDE-4F9E-A579-5E5842C46EDF (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#4549 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Is this normal on the left? I was pulling the pf out to lift up andddddd whoopsie it didn’t have a rail to slide on
[quoted image][quoted image]

Mine is identical to yours. There are assemblies in that area that would sit too close to the rail, if there was one there. If you need to slide the PF forward, there's no need to lift it to relocate. Just support the left side firmly, at the same time keeping the PF weight on the right-side rail while you slide it, until you can safely distribute the weight on the side rails on both sides. Do the same thing to return it to its rested position.

1 week later
#4613 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Otherwise what is the recommended replacement if you do not have the original metal ones?
[quoted image]

Check in with @NicoVolta. He sells replacement metal spacers.

#4614 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Contact NicoVolta , he has/had both new and re-used bell posts. I bought a complete set from him about a year ago.

I guess I should’ve read all the way through before providing the same answer! LOL

1 week later
#4654 2 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

How can you tell between the 81 vs 84 version?

The apron and backglass frame are black on the ‘84, as is the front of the cabinet. ‘84 also uses decals (rather than paint) on the exterior with slightly different colors/design.

#4665 1 year ago
Quoted from jgelman:

SS newbie question. In looking back, it seems like the 1981 EBD came with linear flippers but many favor the older style non-linear. Are the flippers in this picture the non-linear, and if so, how can you tell? Many thanks.
[quoted image]

This is a linear-style Bally flipper assembly. Even at a quick glance, they are very easily differentiated.

873A473B-6780-4828-8077-139130F35A54 (resized).jpeg873A473B-6780-4828-8077-139130F35A54 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#4745 1 year ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

I have installed three Geeteoh S&T boards in EBDs and they sound and work great. Plug and play. It also has an LED to show that you have a good 5 VDC. A completely different board from the original S&T, state of the art technology. Strongly recommend.

Do you know if the Geetoh S&T board is compatible with the Say-It-Again board that's installed on a Centaur?

Thanks!

4 weeks later
#4781 1 year ago

@Lovef2k, Ooooooo.......where'd ya get those sweet white pop caps and
trim rings?????

2 weeks later
#4826 1 year ago
4A4899B8-CE58-46FA-A98F-B801832D52D4 (resized).jpeg4A4899B8-CE58-46FA-A98F-B801832D52D4 (resized).jpeg
#4832 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Where does this go? Can't seem to find a picture that shows it.....
[quoted image]

Lower right side of the Squawk and Talk board.

9298708F-7F4E-4718-9A48-F0162455A184 (resized).jpeg9298708F-7F4E-4718-9A48-F0162455A184 (resized).jpegC7530700-9047-4E88-B92A-92D8B405D9A2 (resized).jpegC7530700-9047-4E88-B92A-92D8B405D9A2 (resized).jpeg
#4860 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Mine has only the two blue end posts with the ring across them. In the center it's one of those skinny cylindrical white spacer posts. Gives you predictable rebound with a little 'give' in the middle because of the skinnier post.
I know the manual doesn't show anything up there but the setup with three blue posts each with its own post ring looks totally wrong. Rebounds would be all over the place. Never saw a shooter rebound set up like that.

Quoted from frenchmarky:

Mine has only the two blue end posts with the ring across them. In the center it's one of those skinny cylindrical white spacer posts. Gives you predictable rebound with a little 'give' in the middle because of the skinnier post.
I know the manual doesn't show anything up there but the setup with three blue posts each with its own post ring looks totally wrong. Rebounds would be all over the place. Never saw a shooter rebound set up like that.

There's only two places the ball could go from that small area, so I'm not sure how rebounds would be "all over the place" or why they would need to be "predictable", but to each their own. Doesn't look "totally wrong" to me at all, and from a player's perspective it's hardly visible, so I dunno....for me it's a non-issue I guess.

Blue (resized).jpgBlue (resized).jpg
1 month later
#4950 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

For the flippers, you're better off buying the parts separately. The base plates are reversible. If the opposite holes were never used, there's no need to buy new bases. If the upper left flipper base is bad, you may need to buy one. This is P-6264-134. The other parts needed to rebuild the flippers:

I learned the hard way that the the left flipper base plate on Centaur is different than all the other linear flipper plates, as it is notched on one end to accommodate a lamp socket.

I noticed too, that after I brought it to the attention of Marco, they modified their store with a new entry for the replacement. Not exactly sure why it would be three bucks more than the one without the notch however.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/P-6264-134-M

1 month later
#4988 1 year ago
Quoted from FLNetMAn62:

Anyone else having issues with the caps on the bumper thumpers constantly having the tabs break off - and the cap coming off? replaced all 3 caps with new ones, and still happened.
Do you all screw the caps down - and do they need a #4 x 1/2" or #4 x 3/4" metal screw, or what screw did you use?
If I glue down, won't be able to get to the light socket under the cap.
Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks!

On occasion (though not very often), I'll notice a pop cap askew but I just reattach it as the tabs are all still intact. I have three machines with this type of pop bumper body, and only on EBD has this happened. I've had these three games for over a year now and have yet to have one of the pop bumper bodies break. Of course, now I've just jinxed it.

What happens way more often is that one of the caps will ROTATE a few notches, noticeable because of the graphics heat stamped on the cap. There can be a LOT more goin' on there with a cluster of three, rather than the two on my Centaur.

2 months later
#5057 1 year ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Is this normal? If I hit the 8 ball, I’d say maybe 7 times out of 10 the ball will go right down the middle between the flippers. I watched several videos on YouTube. I didn’t see any of the machines doing that. I have a CPR playfield. There’s not much wiggle room with the plastics.
[quoted image]

Picked one up a little over a year ago, and it also has a CPR playfield. I occasionally get some wild spins on the ball depending on which flipper slaps it in there, especially when backhanded from the right, but 90% of the time it easily falls directly on the left flipper.

#5068 1 year ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Ok. Do you have some detailed pictures of where the holes should be or how it should line up?

Quoted from vec-tor:

The ball rides on the right side edge of the clear plastic...
Over the years, the oem shape has been changed from deferent copies.

It appears my bottom plastic has little sharper edge that projects toward the left at the bottom, which might be the reason the ball trajectory seems to be slightly different from others’?? And yes, I’ve also read somewhere that the clear plastics on this game can have inconsistent shapes. Weird…

0B0F5B28-57F9-4F62-949F-92417BAD80AD (resized).png0B0F5B28-57F9-4F62-949F-92417BAD80AD (resized).pngA0A2E9B4-7AF9-4FAE-9CFB-C3C953C8C9EC (resized).jpegA0A2E9B4-7AF9-4FAE-9CFB-C3C953C8C9EC (resized).jpeg
#5070 1 year ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

That edge definitely points more to the left. Seems like it would be vulnerable to breaking since the mini post really isn’t protecting it.

So far so good, but you’re right. I’m thinking I could use my dremel to round out that pointy edge without significantly changing the angle at which the ball falls back out. Not fail safe for sure, but better maybe.

#5076 1 year ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Now I’m looking at the left side. The 2x 3x etc will often drain right down the middle. I don’t think there’s much I can do here. It seems that a direct hit without hitting a side plastic will cause it to drain.

I've seen this as being typical of EBD, and on tutorial videos you'd find on YouTube, the multiplier shots are often referred to as risky for this reason.

#5094 1 year ago
Quoted from BFaster:

One piece of box top cut to the length of the mech worked for me. Mounted it with only a small bit of double sided tape under each edge.
Once piece was the right height for me. You may need to experiment with thinner or thicker paperboard. But one piece of cereal box board was perfect for mine.

I have a CPR playfield with a thick clearcoat, and the lowered drop targets caused the ball to hang often. So I used a narrow, wooden paint stirrer that was the EXACT length I needed. Slightly wider than a popsicle stick, but the perfect thickness. Works very well. I also have seen magnetic tape used. No adhesive necessary.

1 week later
#5115 1 year ago
Quoted from StoneyCreek:

The game came with schematics and some jumper details but no real operation manual that indicates how to change various settings.[quoted image]

The EBD manual is easily found online in pdf format, but I believe that there are some very minor differences between production runs. a few wire colors, lamp socket configuration, etc.

5 months later
#5298 8 months ago
Quoted from radial_head:

I gotta say, I just received a CPR Plastic Set from Marco and I am astounded by how piss poor the quality is. Mis-sized holes all over the place with no consistency. Terrible blurriness in the printing, line weight and color are WAY off. Am I being too particular, did I get a bad batch, or is this just what we have to expect from CPR?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

My game looked almost new when I bought it two years ago, with CPR plastics and PF, so I had to run downstairs to check mine out. Yep, mine look a lot like your CPR's, but my font isn't nearly as sloppy as the one on yours. Your "WHEN LIT" is nearly undiscernible! WOW...

EBD (resized).jpegEBD (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#5350 7 months ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Cudaman - Draft #2.[quoted image]

I've seen this "model number" thing on various cards. I understand the production run and the serial number, but what exactly does a "model number" represent, and what's the relevance of including it on an apron card??

I too have made my own using artwork readily available elsewhere. They really make my games stand out.

EBD (resized).jpgEBD (resized).jpgEBD4 (resized).jpgEBD4 (resized).jpgIMG_3247[4658]_edited (resized).jpgIMG_3247[4658]_edited (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#5364 7 months ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Just to make sure this gets seen, I am cross posting this here.
Having a flipper problem on my EBD-LE. Any help/advice would be appeciated.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-problem-on-ebd-le#post-7762084

Replacing the cabinet flipper switches did the trick when this happened to me. Good luck.

3 months later
#5438 4 months ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Rails and left lane guide installed. Time to light and populate! Big thanks to ibis for taking up the helm on rails. They fit well and look terrific! I will be back for more.
Shawn
[quoted image]

That's a lot of "stuff" hanging over that beautiful playfield. I'd hate to see one of those crimpers, that big wrench, or anything else accidentally fall on it!

2 months later
#5616 42 days ago
Quoted from Judoratt:

Recently picked up a ‘84 EBD and I am interested in replacing back glass and under playfield incandescent lights with LED’s to keep the game cooler. Originally when I got the game the plastics were bent and the back box gets hot. I like the look of incandescent bulbs on the playfield but think I could improve the game by re lighting.
I am looking for recommendations for bulbs colors and whether or not, I need an additional board for the LEDs and where to buy them BTW I am a big PBR fan. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
[quoted image]

The whole game lighting thing is completely subjective, I know. Here’s my take: Personally, I prefer Comets. Specifically, 2SMD frosted “sunlight” whites in the GI. I don’t use the retros, as they can often be too tall for some of the plastics, especially the clear lane guides. As someone mentioned previously, the clear domes are sometimes too hard on the eyes in playfield GI, and used in the back box, they can throw off hotspots on the artwork. Frosted domes will disperse more light evenly in the back box, In my opinion, the daylights bring more life into the game than the warm whites. I rarely use cool whites in GI (my Fathom is a rare exception), as they look rather sterile, and seem almost fluorescent. I color-match switched lamps in the playfield. I also added a couple of homemade spotlights on both slings, and a 3SMD strip in the trough. It adds some light to the center of the playfield that is traditionally very dark on these early solid-state Ballys. This era had some of the most beautiful art in Pinball, and IMO it deserves to be seen! I’ve done it on all of my ‘81 Ballys, and a few of my earlier games too.

LEDs run so much cooler as well. They will brighten up games that often appear dimly lit with incandescents, but without any stress on the power supply or the boards. They also use 1/3 of the energy, so that in itself is a big bonus.

Another interesting thing with EBD - I read somewhere that the “Game Over” indicator was initially supposed to be printed horizontally on the back glass, but for some reason, they stacked the words on top of each other, rather than side-by-side. Oddly, they never removed one of the two lamps that light “Game Over”, when only one was then necessary. The other lamp just leaves a hotspot behind the glass, so I removed it. Had I not read that, I likely may never have noticed. Now that I’m aware of it, I can’t unsee it, and it triggers my OCD every time I see it on another game!

IMG_1609 (resized).jpegIMG_1609 (resized).jpegIMG_1610 (resized).jpegIMG_1610 (resized).jpegIMG_1611 (resized).jpegIMG_1611 (resized).jpegIMG_1612 (resized).jpegIMG_1612 (resized).jpegIMG_1614 (resized).jpegIMG_1614 (resized).jpeg
#5618 42 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I use a yellowed color wash;it helps cut the harshness.

I’m not sure I’m following you. Do you have an example?

2 weeks later
#5652 27 days ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:Hmm I don’t know. Trying to decide if I like the blue trough lights. I don’t want to overdue it. Too much color puke? I do also have a sunlight and warm white LED strip.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I used a 3smd strip in the trough, dimmed almost all the way (Comet sells the dimmers....cheap). I also added a spot at the top of the left sling, and the bottom of the right. I used a sunlight white, with the dome removed. Used black heatshrink tubing around the socket and the bulb. Gives the bulb a real snug fit on the lamp housing. I didn't solder them, but used alligator clips instead, jumped to a GI lamp. Makes them removable in about 60 seconds. It's subjective for sure, but the trough light balances out the rest of the playfield, and brings out that cobalt blue real well. The spots illuminate the center of the PF. All my minty 81's have them, as do a few of my other Ballys. This era had arguably some of the most beautiful playfield art ever created, and it begged to be seen. The rest are on my profile page.

EBD (resized).jpgEBD (resized).jpg
#5653 27 days ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Is that sunlight white for your trough lights also?

DANG, I guess I already posted most of this example in a previous post. Sorry.

But yeah, I think the strips are all sunlight too. That's what I use for GI lighting MOST of the time. There are exceptions.

#5659 25 days ago
Quoted from pindel:

Not seeing dimmers at Comet. Is there a specific name for them?

$1.95

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/brightness-adjusters?variant=12493660618796

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 179.00
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dakine747.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well?tu=Dakine747 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.