IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1324 Explanation of paints used for screen printing Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1325 What happens when white is used as a base in paint Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #1331 Double screening on playfields Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #2099 Note changing some GI and chase light sockets: bulbs may sit too high. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Post #2103 Correct bulb holder to fit bulbs. Posted by Madmax541 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Calipindave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1960 5 years ago

Hey guys. Joined the club yesterday with a project machine. I’m so excited to get started. Brought home a good example of an early production game with white caps. Playfield is a bit worn but not horrible. Backglass has some peeling paint. The game is completely disassembled. The cabinet is empty except the powered board and transformer. It came with a bin full of parts. Looks like everything is there. More importantly the package included a new CPR Playfield and shay backglass. Cabinet and head are decent. At some point will likely strip and paint them but the initial phase will be to clean everything up and restore all the guts, swap the Playfield , get it running and then play the hell out of it for a while. Thanks pinsider Cheddar for everything!

A few pics. You can see the side of the head where someone added some cream paint over the original. A little ME and alcohol pulls that up without disturbing the paint underneath.

Dave
54BEA540-A00F-44C4-A733-4442B9BF54A4 (resized).jpeg54BEA540-A00F-44C4-A733-4442B9BF54A4 (resized).jpeg8BC87A54-C768-4D85-B43F-E83888B845B4 (resized).jpeg8BC87A54-C768-4D85-B43F-E83888B845B4 (resized).jpegB4F70655-E1E4-4685-BF3F-B2DCE63C0934 (resized).jpegB4F70655-E1E4-4685-BF3F-B2DCE63C0934 (resized).jpegD3E0F28E-0401-47FC-8C34-13BC69428560 (resized).jpegD3E0F28E-0401-47FC-8C34-13BC69428560 (resized).jpegDE5D8F13-28B5-41BB-B2B4-EBE6C30D9AF1 (resized).jpegDE5D8F13-28B5-41BB-B2B4-EBE6C30D9AF1 (resized).jpeg

#1961 5 years ago

And coin door restoration starts the process.

Dave

C0F67F98-5F3F-4C10-B7FD-6EF4B9F27DB6 (resized).jpegC0F67F98-5F3F-4C10-B7FD-6EF4B9F27DB6 (resized).jpeg
#1963 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Welcome to the club! Have you thought about starting a new thread and documenting your rebuild/restoration process? I know a lot of folks (myself included) love watching other people's work. Great for learning and getting new ideas.

Thank thank you Mathazar. I thought about it but I was thinking there are plenty of similar threads and I’m just a home hobbyist average guy. I would like to do a thread so maybe your encouragement we’ll get me to do it.

Dave

#1965 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I'm just a home hobbyist as well....been a player for 40+ years, but didn't buy my first pin until this time last year (EBD). A few months later, I bought a NIB Star Trek Pro Vault. The next month, I bought a Black Knight. Over the summer, I started doing my own maintenance on the old solid states (I have an electronics background early in my career) and I got enough courage to buy not one project Mata Hari last month, but two. Neither worked and picked them up for a few hundred each. Goal is to restore one for keeps and get the other to a working player's condition and flip. I'm by far no pro, but I'm starting to document my journey on the keeper Mata Hari - will be putting up a dedicated thread on that soon. I'm going to get it working 100% first (almost there), then do a topside tear down for a hard top install, and then put it all back with new plastics and a tasteful LED conversion. After I play with that for a while, I'm going to tear everything out again and get it down to a naked cabinet and backbox and have a local guy repair the wood and repaint (that's out of my comfort zone). While the cabinet is out for paint, I'll tumble the smaller steel pieces for a nice shine and try to revive the bigger pieces by hand. Then it's re-assembly and hopefully a permanent place in my game room lineup.
Good luck with reviving your EBD, Dave!
Kris

Thank you Kris. Sounds like you are in full bore too. You ate the first chip and within months had the whole bag. . I think you have a good handle on things. I look forward the seeing your threads.

I took your suggestion and started a new thread to document the work..

Dave

#1967 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Does anyone know what paint types/colors are needed for the playfield? I am thinking about touching up some of mine.
[quoted image]

I think your pf is better then mine.

Dave

#1973 5 years ago
Quoted from yfz450:

calipindave, Nice Star Lube/Sizer. I have 3 of them! Been casting my own for a very long time.

Ha yes @yfz450. I saw that in the pic and wondered if anybody would know what it was. That’s my other main hobby. My brother and I are active Cowboy Shooters. (As well as target and some trap). I cast for everything we shoot.

Dave

#1975 5 years ago
Quoted from yfz450:

Must be getting hard to get lead in that state of yours? I've been hording many years, sitting on well over 1500lbs of ww ingots, should last me awhile.

Yeah. Impossible....been casting forever and have saved up for a rainy day.

Dave

1 month later
#2049 5 years ago

Hey guys. Can somebody post a couple of close up pictures of the three flippers mechs showing the switch stacks as well as the wire color and placement. Mine are a bit jacked up and I’d like to see some clean original stuff.

Thanks

Dave

#2071 5 years ago

Coin switches are definitely something to focus on. Given that somebody made a change to that area (good bad or indifferent) it would be a good idea to disconnect them from the circuit to eliminate that possibility.

Dave

#2088 5 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Note: On Bally Aux lamp boards it is best to add more ground wires to the board...
The one ground wire from factory is a bad design flaw.

vec-tor

I am not at home now, but I can see schematics show J1 pins 13, 14, and 15 are all ground. Pins 13 and 14 are unused. J3 shows 5, 6, 19, and 20 are all ground and none of them are "used." Based on this I see your comments about one wire for ground on J1, pin 15.

Schematics show all these pins tied together, I assume by the board traces. I also remember noting that a board trace in the upper right hand corner passes under the mounting screw.

Last night I checked and the board mounting bracket is not grounded so the mounting doesn't add to the ground circuit.

What did you guys do to add more ground....?

I can see running a ground braid to under the mounting bracket and thus giving the traces that path?

Otherwise, run some wires (one to J1 and 2 to J3?) to the unused pins and then back into the harness to a common ground location or the braid?

Dave

#2090 5 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Back in the day I used green braided wire and some solder lugs and add them to the Aux lamp board
bracket and screwed the other end into the main back box ground shield.
1) I also tied all the lamp ground traces on the Main lamp board and rewired the wire
-- harness with extra wires that went to the empty ground connectors from the
-- Main lamp board to the Aux lamp board.
--
Note: The Main lamp board has empty trace pads that I would solder together
-- in order to have available more grounding options.
-- Plus I would add a second bridge rectifier to the bottom power supply and have heavy
-- jumper wires that would be soldered to the lamp bridge rectifier.
-- ( it made the games hold up when out on rout ).

Interesting. Definitely sounds like great redundant routes. I did something similar using ground braid screwed into the aux board bracket and across to the hinge screw and back box ground shield.

I will also look into adding more ground routes for the main lamp board.

Dave

#2092 5 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

What was goofy is I added a ground wire from the head to the aux bracket because it looked like the board screw holes grounded to that bracket. Then I checked and still no continuity between them. Turned out only ONE hole actually does ground to the bracket, and on mine that one hole’s trace was too worn off to make contact! So I just bumped that hole up with a little solder.

Sounds like adding an additional ground path to the aux bracket is the smart thing to do.

Dave

#2107 5 years ago

Duplicate post to my dedicated restoration thread but I figured I would add it here also.

Here we go... first time I tried to fire it up was when I noticed I was missing u9 and u11. It took about 10 days to get those and on boot up found that u8 was bad. I ordered the nvram replacement and that arrived today..

Installed and... we have life. ! There are still things to sort out but we are where we need to be. The volume pot seems to be flaky but the audio is strong and clear. The are little gremlins here and there but I have managed to play a bunch of full games on it...

Another one is brought back from the dead...

One of the displays was bad and I pulled it. I swapped it in the place of another, reflowed the header pins put it in and they both work fine.

Dave

#2109 5 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Nice job Dave. The first EBD I had also had a bad 5101 chip. Anyway, I noticed when the ball hit the flippers, it made a the side drain sound effect. Check the outlane switches for adjustment.

I didn’t notice that. (So excited it makes any noises). The underside of the pf is high on my list. I have new one to swap in so I hope to sort out most of that stuff then. I have a feeling that there are some bad and misaligned switches.

Dave

#2111 5 years ago

Does this help?

Dave

EE593D2F-EFF3-4EE5-9195-7342E638553D (resized).jpegEE593D2F-EFF3-4EE5-9195-7342E638553D (resized).jpeg
#2114 5 years ago

One more. Always better to get a couple of angles.

D

A108FBA9-F14D-461B-B168-E58BCC4FD1A3 (resized).jpegA108FBA9-F14D-461B-B168-E58BCC4FD1A3 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bloomsburg, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 90.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Calipindave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well?tu=Calipindave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.