EBD (resized).jpg
IMG_2238 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,673 posts in this topic. You are on page 96 of 114.
#4751 1 year ago
Quoted from KJL:

I just did this today without any output attached
Tp1 8.3 vdc
Tp2 182.8 vdc
Tp3 14.5 vdc also
Tp4 7.4 vac also
Tp5 46 vdc also
I know for a fact when I rebuilt the HV section I could dial it to anything so I think you are ok
Kenny

Thank you! I haven’t even turned on the game with things plugged in, was still repinning and cleaning up. Pretty sure I’m almost ready. Thank you for checking that, looks good to go

#4752 1 year ago

I have a couple of issues with my EBD-LE that I'm not sure how to address. These two issues may or may not be related.

1) The sound effects on the machine will periodically go "quiet". Not completely silent, but just the volume will suddenly switch to very low - but ONLY on the sound effects (including background sounds). The voice effects remain at the normal volume. This volume change will come and go, sometimes multiple times per game. Since the voice effects don't change, I assume that it is not a problem with the remote volume control or with the speaker. I would think it would have to be something on the Squawk & Talk board itself.

2) After the machine has been on for an hour or so, it starts having some problems (perhaps due to something getting hot). Many of the switched lights will start flickering rapidly. It's also like the CPU is running slowly or something, as sounds start being played in sort of a delayed pattern, and the scoring seems to be slowed down as well. This is hard to describe, but for example, when tallying up the bonus, it takes longer to increase the score (and play the sound) for each drop target.

Relevant info...I've owned the machine for MANY years, and this is a fairly new problem. Most of the boards have been replaced over the years, and it has been converted to LEDs. It has Altek CPU, Altek Lamp Driver, and Altek Aux Lamp Driver. The power board was replaced recently as well. It still has the original Solenoid Driver and Squawk & Talk boards.

As a simple test, I tried unplugging the S&T board while the machine was in its "overheated?" mode, on the chance that it was the S&T board causing the issues, but that made no difference. Note that while in this mode, the machine still plays okay (all solenoids work, etc.), it's just "strange" - and the flashing is kind of annoying.

If any of you have seen something like this, or have suggestions of what to try, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

#4753 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I have a couple of issues with my EBD-LE that I'm not sure how to address. These two issues may or may not be related.
1) The sound effects on the machine will periodically go "quiet". Not completely silent, but just the volume will suddenly switch to very low - but ONLY on the sound effects (including background sounds). The voice effects remain at the normal volume. This volume change will come and go, sometimes multiple times per game. Since the voice effects don't change, I assume that it is not a problem with the remote volume control or with the speaker. I would think it would have to be something on the Squawk & Talk board itself.
2) After the machine has been on for an hour or so, it starts having some problems (perhaps due to something getting hot). Many of the switched lights will start flickering rapidly. It's also like the CPU is running slowly or something, as sounds start being played in sort of a delayed pattern, and the scoring seems to be slowed down as well. This is hard to describe, but for example, when tallying up the bonus, it takes longer to increase the score (and play the sound) for each drop target.
Relevant info...I've owned the machine for MANY years, and this is a fairly new problem. Most of the boards have been replaced over the years, and it has been converted to LEDs. It has Altek CPU, Altek Lamp Driver, and Altek Aux Lamp Driver. The power board was replaced recently as well. It still has the original Solenoid Driver and Squawk & Talk boards.
As a simple test, I tried unplugging the S&T board while the machine was in its "overheated?" mode, on the chance that it was the S&T board causing the issues, but that made no difference. Note that while in this mode, the machine still plays okay (all solenoids work, etc.), it's just "strange" - and the flashing is kind of annoying.
If any of you have seen something like this, or have suggestions of what to try, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I don't have anything "specific" to offer, just a couple of suggestions to help narrow down:

1 - The sound issues can very well be capacitor related, especially if the S&T board hasn't had any refreshing done in a while or ever. My first troubleshooting step for that symptom would be to replace all the caps in the S&T board.

2 - For the potentially heat-related problem with control lamps flickering....that flickering is a common issue when running LEDs on original lamp boards, but you have Allteks which should be fine. In case there's something failing on the Alltek and contributing to the flicker, try spraying some Cool Spray on the lamp board components while the flickering is taking place and see if that has any affect. If you don't have actual Cool Spray handy, you could also use a can of compressed air and spray while holding the can upside down. That works in a pinch.

3 - A video would go a long way in better illustrating the problems as well if it's possible for you to get a recording of the issues as they're happening.

#4754 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Besides re-capping the sound board, replace the volume pots. They are notorious for being flaky at this age. They are an open design and subjected to dirt and corrosion. The new style is a closed design and work much better. In the mean time you can try giving them a few full turns in each direction to see if if helps. Also try contact cleaner just to get by for now.

Other issues, it could be the voltage regulator going bad on solenoid driver. Or other issue with solenoid driver. A connector issue as well between the boards. Try re-seating some connectors.

You mentioned new rectifier board, it also could be the culprit. Failing bridge rectifier. If heatsink is on bottom and mates to the heavy plate in the cab did you add heat transfer compound?

#4755 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I don't have anything "specific" to offer, just a couple of suggestions to help narrow down:
1 - The sound issues can very well be capacitor related, especially if the S&T board hasn't had any refreshing done in a while or ever. My first troubleshooting step for that symptom would be to replace all the caps in the S&T board.
2 - For the potentially heat-related problem with control lamps flickering....that flickering is a common issue when running LEDs on original lamp boards, but you have Allteks which should be fine. In case there's something failing on the Alltek and contributing to the flicker, try spraying some Cool Spray on the lamp board components while the flickering is taking place and see if that has any affect. If you don't have actual Cool Spray handy, you could also use a can of compressed air and spray while holding the can upside down. That works in a pinch.
3 - A video would go a long way in better illustrating the problems as well if it's possible for you to get a recording of the issues as they're happening.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

Besides re-capping the sound board, replace the volume pots. They are notorious for being flaky at this age. They are an open design and subjected to dirt and corrosion. The new style is a closed design and work much better. In the mean time you can try giving them a few full turns in each direction to see if if helps. Also try contact cleaner just to get by for now.
Other issues, it could be the voltage regulator going bad on solenoid driver. Or other issue with solenoid driver. A connector issue as well between the boards. Try re-seating some connectors.
You mentioned new rectifier board, it also could be the culprit. Failing bridge rectifier. If heatsink is on bottom and mates to the heavy plate in the cab did you add heat transfer compound?

The chances of me being able to re-cap the S&T board (without causing worse issues) is very low. I may send out the board to Chris Hibler and have him check/repair the board, but I will examine the volume pots on the board first - it's possible that they are just dirty.

The bigger issue is the "over-heating" issue. I am assuming that it is heating since it only happens if the machine has been on for about an hour or more. I will try to make a video of it - the symptoms are very hard to describe. The flickering is not "normal LED flicker", it's something else.

For one thing, when it serves the ball (before you plunge it) the flickering is extreme (and has almost a rhythm to it), but once a switch is triggered, it settles down some (but is still noticeable). And like I said above, it's almost like the CPU is running slower.

Getting some Cold Spray is a good idea, I can get it into "hot" mode, and then spray the "suspects" one by one and see if I can find the guilty party.

As for the rectifier board, it's the one from Pinball Life that has the heat sinks on top. I can try Cool Spraying that too, and see if it helps.

I haven't tried to post a video here before. I think I have to put it up on YouTube and then point to it from here, correct?

#4756 1 year ago

I'm stripping a lamp insert panel and I noticed a discrepancy on a wire color. For match I have a orange wire. Manual says it should be black and blue. Can anyone verify please? All the other colors match up.

#4757 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I'm stripping a lamp insert panel and I noticed a discrepancy on a wire color. For match I have a orange wire. Manual says it should be black and blue. Can anyone verify please? All the other colors match up.

My EBD schematic says Orange....

EBD BBox (resized).jpgEBD BBox (resized).jpg
#4758 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

My EBD schematic says Orange....[quoted image]

That explains it. My manual is a copy and i just noticed the lower right corner shows ebd Ltd. Ugh. The cover is showing 81 version game 1220. I'll be referring to your pic I'm sure. Thanks!

#4759 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

That explains it. My manual is a copy and i just noticed the lower right corner shows ebd Ltd. Ugh. The cover is showing 81 version game 1220. I'll be referring to your pic I'm sure. Thanks!

My '84 came with a different manual but has the '81 schematics. Same as Mathazar's.

#4760 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I haven't tried to post a video here before. I think I have to put it up on YouTube and then point to it from here, correct?

That's how I do it.

#4761 1 year ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

My '84 came with a different manual but has the '81 schematics. Same as Mathazar's.

The 81 and the 84 might have the same colors idk. LE probably different due to the different cab configuration.

I have two repro manuals. The one with the Ltd schematic I think is a Marco. I'll have to look through my invoices to make sure. The other is a licensed copy from PPS and has the correct schematic for the backbox wiring.

The Marco has the Ltd cabinet wiring also. If I can find out for sure where I got this I will bring it to their attention. If you got a manual from Marco, check the schematic pages for backbox and cab. It will have the game name printed on the lower right corner. The manual for the 81 will have game 1220 on th3 front cover.

#4762 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Just wanted to verify with some one else
My rectifier with nothing but the input shows
Tp1 8.05 vdc
Tp2 189 vdc
Tp3 14.5 vdc
Tp4 7.48 vac
Tp5 46 vdc

With nothing connected you only need to be close and these look good to me except for the HV which is low but the filter capacitor is out of the circuit so don't panic yet. Connect J3 on the SD/PS board and record the output voltages. You should have 5v and I like to adjust the HV output to 180v. If the large filter caps are original replace them.

#4763 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

The sound effects on the machine will periodically go "quiet". Not completely silent, but just the volume will suddenly switch to very low - but ONLY on the sound effects (including background sounds). The voice effects remain at the normal volume. This volume change will come and go, sometimes multiple times per game. Since the voice effects don't change, I assume that it is not a problem with the remote volume control or with the speaker. I would think it would have to be something on the Squawk & Talk board itself.

Crank the sound volume pot on the board back and forth a few times. This often cleans off the crud and gets it going.

Are you still using the original Solenoid board and are the large filter caps original? If so they are probably due for replacement.

#4764 1 year ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Crank the sound volume pot on the board back and forth a few times. This often cleans off the crud and gets it going.
Are you still using the original Solenoid board and are the large filter caps original? If so they are probably due for replacement.

Yes, this is the original Solenoid board, and no, no caps have been replaced. Would a problem on the solenoid board manifest as flickering on the controlled lamps? All the solenoids (including those off of the solenoid expander circuit) work fine.

#4765 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Yes, this is the original Solenoid board, and no, no caps have been replaced. Would a problem on the solenoid board manifest as flickering on the controlled lamps? All the solenoids (including those off of the solenoid expander circuit) work fine.

Alltek has great customer service. I would tell them what's going on. It may be an issue w the lamp driver. Is it all the lamps or just a group of them?

#4766 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Alltek has great customer service. I would tell them what's going on. It may be an issue w the lamp driver. Is it all the lamps or just a group of them?

I'm still trying to get a video of it posted. Of course, the flashing is distorted by the frame rate of the video anyway, so it may not be as obvious as I hope.

It seems to be on all the switched lamps, but also seems to be more obvious on the pop bumpers and on the "flashing lanes" that border the 8-ball and the multiplier targets.

#4767 1 year ago

This video shows the "normal" behavior when the machine is cold.

This video shows the "unusual" behavior when the machine is hot.

While the ball is in the shooter lane, note the almost rhythmic flashing of the pop bumpers and lights alongside the 8-ball and multiplier lanes.
Once the ball hits the first rollover, the flashing stops. This is very consistent.

What the video doesn't do a good job of showing is that the sound is distorted too. This is most noticeable when it is trying to "add up" a bunch of points (for example when hitting the extra ball lane rollover for 70K). Instead of the normal "chumm-chumm-chumm", it sort of goes "chumm.....chumm.....chumm". It has a similar "slow down" when recording the points for the bonus.

#4768 1 year ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

With nothing connected you only need to be close and these look good to me except for the HV which is low but the filter capacitor is out of the circuit so don't panic yet. Connect J3 on the SD/PS board and record the output voltages. You should have 5v and I like to adjust the HV output to 180v. If the large filter caps are original replace them.

Thanks! I’ll try and report back

#4769 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

This video shows the "unusual" behavior when the machine is hot.

Hit the U14 chip on the MPU board with some freeze spray when it starts misbehaving.

#4770 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

Hit the U14 chip on the MPU board with some freeze spray when it starts misbehaving.

I've ordered freeze spray from Amazon, but it will be a few days before it arrives.

Note that the MPU board I am running is the Altek one. Will it still be U14 that I want to check on that board?

Do you have a particular suspicion about U14? Have you seen something similar to this behavior in the past?

#4771 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Note that the MPU board I am running is the Altek one.

Argh, I missed that point.
The issue you're having sounds related to the zero crossing signal which on a factory MPU board is detected by U14.
Alltek changed the chip location numbers, even between board revisions :-/
To rev K it's U3, rev L it's U12.

If you still have the factory Bally MPU board, give it a try.
Have you also noticed if momentary solenoids sometimes activate longer than they should?

#4772 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

Argh, I missed that point.
The issue you're having sounds related to the zero crossing signal which on a factory MPU board is detected by U14.
Alltek changed the chip location numbers, even between board revisions :-/
To rev K it's U3, rev L it's U12.
If you still have the factory Bally MPU board, give it a try.
Have you also noticed if momentary solenoids sometimes activate longer than they should?

I'm not sure which version of the Alltek board I have, but it's a pretty old one (I'll have to check when I get home). It still has AA batteries on it.
I do still have my factory board somewhere, but it was having problems, which is why I replaced it long ago.

I have not noticed any problems with the solenoids at all, but most of the momentary ones on EBD are drop target resets, so if they were activating for a longer than normal period, it probably wouldn't be obvious.

#4773 1 year ago

EBD anyone? I have been sitting on 3 '81 version EBD for about 5 years. Big move and some health issues have slowed me down. I'm getting back into the swing here finally. Maybe these pics will inspire anybody that has this game sitting in a corner and left all alone.

I want to give a heads up to anyone buying or has bought end plates for Bally drop target banks. I bought P-1369-5(right) from PBR, they didn't have the left in stock. Found the left at Marco. When I went to install the nyliner, I could not fit in the hole, yeah I know that sounds like a personal problem, so comparing to an original, the hole should be 5/16 and the new ones were only 1/4. I drilled the holes out so no big deal. I was under the impression that these were NOS parts, maybe they were and used on older games, IDK but the part numbers match for EBD. The ones from Marco look much newer and slightly different finish on the metal. I just found this out today and will let both suppliers know about it.

I'm having trouble finding paint to match the EBD cab. When I did my earlier restos, I used oil based paint. Now it's hard to find, if at all, and it's not the best way to go for a pin cab and the stencils. Sherwin Wms messed up the first attempt and the cream color, that actually has some green in it. So apparently the new paints have a variation with colors. He used the last can of tint base to make that one and he tried to correct it and made worse. They are out of tint base for all 3 colors until next week. I did find that Liquitex yellow oxide is a dead match for the gold on EBD. If anyone has suggestions for EBD paint, I'm all ears!

Chrome from HRA about 5 years ago. Lamp panel cut at wood shop using router and old panel as template. I then used the old panel to xfer the hole locations for all the screws. I will then paint them white and change over to bayonet sockets. As you can see some of the parts on the table have been re-plated, zinc and/or nickel. Pop bumper rings, trough parts, score display trays are just some of the parts I do in nickel.

P7060115 (resized).JPGP7060115 (resized).JPGP7060116 (resized).JPGP7060116 (resized).JPGP7060117 (resized).JPGP7060117 (resized).JPGP7070122 (resized).JPGP7070122 (resized).JPGP7070123 (resized).JPGP7070123 (resized).JPGP7070124 (resized).JPGP7070124 (resized).JPGP7070126 (resized).JPGP7070126 (resized).JPGP7070127 (resized).JPGP7070127 (resized).JPGP7070128 (resized).JPGP7070128 (resized).JPGP7070129 (resized).JPGP7070129 (resized).JPGP7070130 (resized).JPGP7070130 (resized).JPGP7070131 (resized).JPGP7070131 (resized).JPGP7070133 (resized).JPGP7070133 (resized).JPGP7070134 (resized).JPGP7070134 (resized).JPGP7070135 (resized).JPGP7070135 (resized).JPGP7070136 (resized).JPGP7070136 (resized).JPGP7070138 (resized).JPGP7070138 (resized).JPGP7070139 (resized).JPGP7070139 (resized).JPG
#4774 1 year ago

So for some reason the backboxes on 2 of the 3 games I got were pretty beat up. Factory defects where the back panel isn't flush with the sides doesn't help. I picked up another head but the rear panel was cut out to make a display at an old op's arcade. But the front and sides are rather nice still so I will make an attempt to repair it. The big test will be cutting new vent slots to match.

I also acquired a Black Jack head that was decent and am converting to EBD. It had this round hole drilled through the back for some unexplainable reason that I had to fill.

I will be building new base cabs for 2 of the games as well.

P6030030 (resized).JPGP6030030 (resized).JPGP6030032 (resized).JPGP6030032 (resized).JPGP6030034 (resized).JPGP6030034 (resized).JPGP6030035 (resized).JPGP6030035 (resized).JPGP6030045 (resized).JPGP6030045 (resized).JPGP6050047 (resized).JPGP6050047 (resized).JPGP6050049 (resized).JPGP6050049 (resized).JPGP6050050 (resized).JPGP6050050 (resized).JPGP6060051 (resized).JPGP6060051 (resized).JPG
#4775 1 year ago

Interesting find: Same coil numbers, one has 3 lugs and 2 diodes. The double tap version looks original, nothing removed to convert it.

P7070132 (resized).JPGP7070132 (resized).JPG
#4776 1 year ago

Looking good Rich. White pop bumper caps! Nice!

#4777 1 year ago

I reached a new low for scoring in a EBD game last night
20220708_193806 (resized).jpg20220708_193806 (resized).jpg

#4778 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Interesting find: Same coil numbers, one has 3 lugs and 2 diodes. The double tap version looks original, nothing removed to convert it.

The double diode coil is for games with a solenoid expander. You can ignore the extra diode and lug if it's not needed.

#4779 1 year ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

I reached a new low for scoring in a EBD game last night
[quoted image]

I just checked my score spreadsheet and I got 19,030 in a full game sometime in 2010. Ugh.

Must have been lane, pop, drain x3.

#4780 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I want to give a heads up to anyone buying or has bought end plates for Bally drop target banks. I bought P-1369-5(right) from PBR, they didn't have the left in stock. Found the left at Marco. When I went to install the nyliner, I could not fit in the hole, yeah I know that sounds like a personal problem, so comparing to an original, the hole should be 5/16 and the new ones were only 1/4. I drilled the holes out so no big deal. I was under the impression that these were NOS parts, maybe they were and used on older games, IDK but the part numbers match for EBD. The ones from Marco look much newer and slightly different finish on the metal. I just found this out today and will let both suppliers know about it.

Bally 1st generation D/T end plates have the smaller hole...
EM style.... late 1979 D/T assemblies were revised.

#4781 1 year ago

@Lovef2k, Ooooooo.......where'd ya get those sweet white pop caps and
trim rings?????

#4782 1 year ago

I think the Black Jack backbox is deeper than the EBD backbox, am I right?

#4783 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

So for some reason the backboxes on 2 of the 3 games I got were pretty beat up. Factory defects where the back panel isn't flush with the sides doesn't help. I picked up another head but the rear panel was cut out to make a display at an old op's arcade. But the front and sides are rather nice still so I will make an attempt to repair it. The big test will be cutting new vent slots to match.
I also acquired a Black Jack head that was decent and am converting to EBD. It had this round hole drilled through the back for some unexplainable reason that I had to fill.
I will be building new base cabs for 2 of the games as well.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think the Black Jack backbox is deeper than the EBD backbox, am I right?

#4784 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

[quoted image]

Bally was having trouble with quality control...

#4785 1 year ago

For those of you who were helping with my over-heating problem, I have a small amount of new information.

It seems that just keeping the backglass off of the machine is enough to keep it from overheating. Unfortunately, this makes it harder to diagnose, as I have to let the machine heat up, then quickly remove the glass and open it up, and then quickly spray it with cooling spray, before it naturally cools down.

It appears that the problem is on the Alltek CPU board, but I haven't been able to narrow it down to a specific component.

I guess my next step is to contact Alltek and see how they want me to proceed. I've never used their "lifetime" warranty before, and this board is pretty old now (it is actually one with AA batteries on it - before they went to NVRAM). Have any of you guys had one of their boards repaired/replaced by them before?

#4786 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

For those of you who were helping with my over-heating problem, I have a small amount of new information.
It seems that just keeping the backglass off of the machine is enough to keep it from overheating. Unfortunately, this makes it harder to diagnose, as I have to let the machine heat up, then quickly remove the glass and open it up, and then quickly spray it with cooling spray, before it naturally cools down.
It appears that the problem is on the Alltek CPU board, but I haven't been able to narrow it down to a specific component.
I guess my next step is to contact Alltek and see how they want me to proceed. I've never used their "lifetime" warranty before, and this board is pretty old now (it is actually one with AA batteries on it - before they went to NVRAM). Have any of you guys had one of their boards repaired/replaced by them before?

I have. They are great to deal with. If your board is the problem, they will either fix or replace your board. Since it’s so old I would think they may just replace it.

#4787 1 year ago

Hi EBD experts my project game is playing great after a lot more woodworking than I wanted to do because of water damage.

It has no sound so I have a few EBD specific questions.

LED locks on immediately with good voltages at test points +5.07 -4.86 + 13.7 so here are the EBD questions

It has U4 missing and jumpers match the parts manual. Can I get any flashes without U4?

It has an AY-3-8912 chip in it and is jumpers for it. Is that chip necessary for EBD I have read conflicting posts on RGP?

Finally the U9 socket has been replaced but no chip. Is U9 needed for EBD?

I’ll replace the caps since I have them but don’t have U15 or U17 to replace as suggested in the Bally Repair Procedure manual so will wait to see if I need EPROMs to get started

Thanks

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#4788 1 year ago
Quoted from KJL:

It has U4 missing and jumpers match the parts manual. Can I get any flashes without U4?

The LED will flash with a functioning U5 ROM - the U4 ROM is not necessary to see the first flash.
Regarding jumpers, they need to match the ROM type in use, the default in the manual might not be correct for your situation.

Quoted from KJL:

It has an AY-3-8912 chip in it and is jumpers for it. Is that chip necessary for EBD I have read conflicting posts on RGP?

Yes, the AY-3-8912 is neccessary for Eight Ball Deluxe. Some sound effects are produced by it and it's also used for communications between the MPU board and the S&T board.

Quoted from KJL:

Finally the U9 socket has been replaced but no chip. Is U9 needed for EBD?

U9 is not needed - actually was never used in any production games that I'm aware.

#4789 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

U9 is not needed - actually was never used in any production games that I'm aware.

U9 was intended to use the Texas Instrument 'Phrom' chip, a chip TI created containing a large amount of canned phrases. It was never implemented for pinball. There was a plan to use it with a test machine we were developing, but I do not know if that ever happened. After Bally I went to work for electronics tester Teradyne where I did implement the board test machine with speech that we were working on at Bally using the TI Phrom. It worked great in a small lab environment but on the factory floor you could not hear it.

#4790 1 year ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

After Bally I went to work for electronics tester Teradyne where I did implement the board test machine with speech that we were working on at Bally using the TI Phrom.

Love hearing your memories from back in the day BigAl56
Good thing they didn't use the TMS6100 at U9. I've never seen them for sale.
Now if only we could convert the S&T ROMs to support the later (cheaper and readily available) TMS5220 which has a slightly different LPC coefficient table.

#4791 1 year ago

Hey there,

I have a massive ball hop problem on all of my three flippers.
For the bottom ones i ordered Cliffy return frames which should help, but what should i do for the upper flipper?
Sure I could bend/realign the guide, but that is always the last solution
Playfield is a CPR.

thanks

#4792 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

The LED will flash with a functioning U5 ROM

Thanks Quench your response was very helpful and motivated me to probe for the reason that LED was locked on. Turned out to be an address line was cut when a ROM socket was previously replaced. Now I have 6 flashes which seems too many but will wait for new EPROMs to sort that out.

#4793 1 year ago

I have a problem with my right drop targets. If they are down, the ball get stuck there.
The targets are even with the playfield, but the ball gets cought between them.
Any advice? Shaking works, but it has to be so strong that the machine tilts.

IMG_20220717_131812 (resized).jpgIMG_20220717_131812 (resized).jpg
#4794 1 year ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

I have a problem with my right drop targets. If they are down, the ball get stuck there.
The targets are even with the playfield, but the ball gets cought between them.
Any advice? Shaking works, but it has to be so strong that the machine tilts.
[quoted image]

Common problem with clear coated PF. You need to shim the drop targets up a little. I placed a .060 think strip of metal on the top of the lower part of the bank assembly. This will keep the drops up enough but not too high to block the deluxe targets.

#4795 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Common problem with clear coated PF. You need to shim the drop targets up a little. I placed a .060 think strip of metal on the top of the lower part of the bank assembly. This will keep the drops up enough but not too high to block the deluxe targets.

Thanks!

#4796 1 year ago

Anyone know where you can get a replacement of the leaf switch under the star roll over? I think the original part number was ASW-A1-152 but can't find one in stock for the life of me. Assuming this can't be the only switch that will work here but hoping someone has ran into this and knows of a suitable replacement. Thanks!

#4797 1 year ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Anyone know where you can get a replacement of the leaf switch under the star roll over? I think the original part number was ASW-A1-152 but can't find one in stock for the life of me. Assuming this can't be the only switch that will work here but hoping someone has ran into this and knows of a suitable replacement. Thanks!

If you can't find a replacement switch or want to move on to something more reliable and requiring "no" tuning at all, I highly recommend MRS (Magnetic Reed Switches) for rollovers. I have one in my EBD and three in my Meteor....they work so well.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mampm-creations-mrs-catalog/page/2#post-6979519

#4798 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

If you can't find a replacement switch or want to move on to something more reliable and requiring "no" tuning at all, I highly recommend MRS (Magnetic Reed Switches) for rollovers. I have one in my EBD and three in my Meteor....they work so well.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mampm-creations-mrs-catalog/page/2#post-6979519

I'll send you a quick PM on this...

#4799 1 year ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Anyone know where you can get a replacement of the leaf switch under the star roll over?

It's basically the same as the slingshot switch. Try this one, https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/SW-1A-120

#4800 1 year ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

It's basically the same as the slingshot switch. Try this one, https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/SW-1A-120

Rock on - thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bloomsburg, PA
$ 90.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,673 posts in this topic. You are on page 96 of 114.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well/page/96?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.