Topic Stats

• 2,482 posts
  • 279 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by KSUWildcatFan
  • Topic is favorited by 122 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 847 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

69E88BD9-C730-49B4-9122-5A4F64D8132F (resized).jpeg
B40EA227-51B1-413D-964F-14BFE0C0D4C7 (resized).jpeg
020F4D29-E480-4163-8D6A-7E28C6F9B322 (resized).jpeg
91D1A167-9B25-4EE8-B4F5-FF3E9946C237 (resized).jpeg
0FF72137-3A17-4F91-8B31-0D1222F838A0 (resized).jpeg
FA8CF70E-717F-4C72-96AB-E446307E2CAA (resized).jpeg
66184D0E-C8A0-4F66-8A4E-6A3898B57036 (resized).jpeg
2DB03353-DCA2-4AE0-A0D7-D9AFDA754E19 (resized).jpeg
A6C95B99-6639-4E45-BD8E-60D63A03D3A7 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190815_145525 (resized).jpg
ebd paint (resized).jpg
WP_000090 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191222_180254 (resized).jpg
PC220113 (resized).JPG
D297576E-4159-42E8-8C3A-3779DDE7026C (resized).png
20191210_173622.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2482 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 50.
#401 4 years ago

It was the best year as far as I'm concerned. There's never been a better one. All the 1981 releases were great.

It's just a shame it also signaled the end for Bally largely due to the rise of video games. Not too long afterwards we started to see the decline of the arcades. But for a couple years it was pure heaven if you were into pinball. Every mall had at least one major arcade (sometimes more than one). Every bowling alley also had a generous selection of pins. The east coast boardwalks all had tons of pinball machines and arcades as well as all the amusement parks. Not a whole lot of people I knew back then had them in their houses though.

I used to blow every cent I had on pinball and hang out in the arcades all the time.

#402 4 years ago

I love the Bally games from 79-81. And the peak was in 81, of course.

I am scared to think about how much money I have spent the last couple of years getting and fixing up old Bally games.

Centaur, Eight Ball De Luxe, Fathom, Flash Gordon, Paragon, Future Spa and Skateball.

I still would love to have: Mystic, Frontier, Medusa and Harlem Globetrotters but I feel like a very lucky person as it is.

Flash Gordon, Fathom and Centuar have all gotten new CPR Playfields, new stencils and they are all soon ready to go back in the living room. (I also have plyfields for Paragon and Skateball on order from CPR)

My latest purchase, Eight Ball De luxe (the first original ed) could also benefit from a new playfield because the wood has raised itself in a small spot above the right flipper. A pity, because the rest of it looks pretty good, all mylared and a pretty nice cab also)

Hoping that cpr comes to their senses and produce another run of EBD soon

Just got a whole of new drop targets and cpr plastic set for EBD. All she needs now is a new playfield and some painting on the backbox edges

#403 4 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe in da house! Let the work begin.

image.jpg

#405 4 years ago

Hey everyone,
Price check question. What does an ebd go for that is a very nice place. Not cq but very nice. I've been thinking of buying one and I don't know the market for these at all.

#406 4 years ago

Could someone please send me a picture of the underside of the eight ball drop target. Mine broke. I received a new drop target but I cannot get it connected properly. The spring etc... were on the bottom of cabinet when it broke.

Thanks a ton. Merry xmas!

#407 4 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Hey everyone,
Price check question. What does an ebd go for that is a very nice place. Not cq but very nice. I've been thinking of buying one and I don't know the market for these at all.

+1 please. I have been considering selling mine and have no idea where to start with pricing. Ipb repro playfield, good + cab, excellent backglass, new plastics, targets, all boards reworked. Thanks.
Dan

#409 4 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Hey everyone,

For the most desirable 1980 version id say around 2500-3000 for a nice one. Haven't seen them come up too much so I would be way off.

#410 4 years ago

Here you go pflaps hope you can make it out. I was holding up the playfield at the same time20151223_162210_(resized).jpg

#411 4 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

It was the best year as far as I'm concerned. There's never been a better one. All the 1981 releases were great.
It's just a shame it also signaled the end for Bally largely due to the rise of video games. Not too long afterwards we started to see the decline of the arcades. But for a couple years it was pure heaven if you were into pinball. Every mall had at least one major arcade (sometimes more than one). Every bowling alley also had a generous selection of pins. The east coast boardwalks all had tons of pinball machines and arcades as well as all the amusement parks. Not a whole lot of people I knew back then had them in their houses though.
I used to blow every cent I had on pinball and hang out in the arcades all the time.

You are right on that. 1980 to 1985 was amazing. Video and Pinball everywhere. I worked in an arcade, I helped build arcades, I spoke to the factory workers, visited distributors, delievered games to the arcades, we played all the time, games everywhere, I had my 69 Cutlass convertible and drove my 1000 Katana up and down "O" street. Those were great times.

#412 4 years ago

Hi guys. I decided to post pics of my beautiful machine. I have actually been meaning to post this thread for the past 4 years. Sad that only now when I am considering selling I get this done :S

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebd-restoration-thread-4-years-tardy

Dan
PS: Also thanks for the pricing suggestions before.

#413 4 years ago
Quoted from Curbfeeler:

Hi guys. I decided to post pics of my beautiful machine. I have actually been meaning to post this thread for the past 4 years. Sad that only now when I am considering selling I get this done :S
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebd-restoration-thread-4-years-tardy
Dan
PS: Also thanks for the pricing suggestions before.

If this is going up for sale, I AM interested. Been looking for another since I sold mine

#414 4 years ago

EBD is the best pin of the early SS era and still one of the best overall pins to this day. Fathom and Centaur have better artwork but as far as play is concerned EBD is by far the best along with my beloved Joker Poker. I have a bunch of machines but this one just never gets old. It is a very challenging game, good aim is a must. The rules combined with a target rich environment make for an awesome pinball experience. Shot the 1-7 targets, 8 ball, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x and then the saucer behind the 8-ball. It doesn't happen too often but it provides a tremendous feeling of accomplishment.
This game is proof that an awesome layout combined with good rules can make for an extremely fun game without needing too many ramps, gadgets or sound effects. A true masterpiece.

#415 4 years ago

My playfield has a few small wear spots down to the bare wood. I just want clean it and play it without doing a restoraation on it. What suggestions are out there to hold the wear spots to what they are now without further erosion or the spots growing?

#416 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

My playfield has a few small wear spots down to the bare wood. I just want clean it and play it without doing a restoraation on it. What suggestions are out there to hold the wear spots to what they are now without further erosion or the spots growing?

Either Mylar to cover the spot, or wax it regularly. Unless it's getting played to hell and back, that should keep it from getting worse.

1 week later
#417 4 years ago

I need a new pf if anyone has one to sell.

#418 4 years ago

Joining soon. Picking it up in 2 weeks.

#419 4 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

I need a new pf if anyone has one to sell.

There are a lot of people looking for them right now. Be prepared to pay big bucks if you are lucky enough to find one. Even then, check it out good because there are a lot of "seconds" out there.

#420 4 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

There are a lot of people looking for them right now. Be prepared to pay big bucks if you are lucky enough to find one. Even then, check it out good because there are a lot of "seconds" out there.

Yes, I am finding it difficult....and they are very expensive.

#421 4 years ago

I'm a lover of this game. Had it for 10 years did a restoration over the course of several years. Look great and plays great. I couldn't ever part with it as it's part of the family now. Take a good look at the guy on the back glass behind the gal on the mechanical bull. It's George Christian the designer of it. Margaret Hudson cleverly put George's round up there with his image. See pic

#422 4 years ago

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#423 4 years ago

Starting a topside clean and shop job. Found this pin between the two star posts at top right of playfield. Is there something else that's supposed to be there?

image_(resized).jpg

#424 4 years ago

Looking at the 4th picture from post #386.....I don't see anything there. Your picture was the only on in this thread that shows this area with good detail.

Calling Gatecrasher!

#425 4 years ago

That pin in the playfield is factory.

They all had it when new. Nothing else went there.

One thing to notice that you can tell from the picture is it is the 1985 Bally/Midway "Classic" version. That particular version used the blue star plastic posts while the two earlier editions of EBD used the traditional Bally blue "ringed" posts.

The 1985 Bally/Midway version also used nylon nuts on the top threaded posts while the earlier versions originally used the push-on rubbers although the Limited Edition may have switched late in the run to the nylon.

1 week later
#426 4 years ago

I am almost done swapping the PF on mine. Pics to follow. I finally have a nice EBD with ALL original parts. Took me years to track one down. They are getting harder to find for sure. I'm mad that I didn't buy one 10 years ago for cheap! A true 80's pinball masterpiece.

image_(resized).jpeg

#427 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I am almost done swapping the PF on mine. Pics to follow. I finally have a nice EBD with ALL original parts. Took me years to track one down. They are getting harder to find for sure. I'm mad that I didn't buy one 10 years ago for cheap! A true 80's pinball masterpiece.

Didn't know you had one. I'll have to come by and show you how it's done. Haha

#428 4 years ago

A red and a blue added to the right back of white drop targets....very patriotic

#429 4 years ago

I Have an EBDLE that I'm putting a Alltek lamp driver board and new connectors in. When I got to the J4 there were a few wires cut and soldered to the board the connector was burnt and broke in three places. What I am wondering is if someone out there can take a close-up color picture with the wires separated a little? Of the J4 lamp driver connector please. I'm not good at reading wiring diagram. So I think this is my best chance to get this right

#430 4 years ago

Looks like pins 8,9,10,12 are not used

image_(resized).jpg

#431 4 years ago

Thanks. The wire colors match up. But it is odd that some of my wires pass through the connector

image_(resized).jpeg

#432 4 years ago

Your connectors have exceeded their life expectancy. The one in the picture is garbage.

Your best move would be to replace them all. Then you shouldn't have any more wiring issues.

It's not that hard to do.

You can buy new connectors and pins from several places.

Here's a good one:

http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/

#433 4 years ago

Already had them bought. Exactly what I was doing. Just kind of confused why my wires run all the way through the connector and back into the machine. And the picture that Ballylover posted the wires don't go through. Got two new connectors already on

image_(resized).jpeg

#434 4 years ago

Yeah I don't think they are supposed to be that way.

Hard to tell what exactly is going on there?

#435 4 years ago

Anybody have an EBD they are ready to list? I am looking for a restored EBD with CPR playfield. Prefer the Midway edition, yet other versions are welcome, but don't want an LE. pm with details.

#436 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Anybody have an EBD they are ready to list? I am looking for a restored EBD with CPR playfield. Prefer the Midway edition, yet other versions are welcome, but don't want an LE. pm with details.

Try Mike (Bonzo442) He had a pretty nice one he was looking to move. It's the original '81, and it's nice..

1 week later
#437 3 years ago

Today I listed for sale this nice Bally EBD pinball machine:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/30713

Thanks for looking!

Robert Urbanowicz

1_(resized).JPG
2_(resized).JPG
3_(resized).JPG

#439 3 years ago

Hi Guys,

First post. Just picked up my first pin ball, EBD serial number 320. Can't seem to find much info on this other than it should be the 3rd run called the 'classic'?

Looks to be in very good condition, back glass is perfect, field is very clean with mylar. Cabinet looks better than most I found for sale.

Owner said it was restored and shopped when he got it 8 years ago. Has been working perfectly he said until of course when I show up, the 3 center bumpers don't 'kick', sorry I don't know the terminology yet of parts.

I dropped it off at a local game place to get looked at. He also suggested getting it shopped to clean it up an check it out. Sounds like a good $150 spent?

Anyways hope to learn more about it.

Dean

ebd1a_(resized).jpg

ebd2a_(resized).jpg

ebd3a_(resized).jpg

#440 3 years ago

Doesn't look like it needs much of any "shopping" to me. Looks clean.

I will gladly fix the pops for free if you need help the next time I am driving to Danville to visit my in-laws.

#441 3 years ago

That is a great offer snyper! I would love to take you up on that, even if I get it working would like to meet you for future advice or help. I will send you my contact info via private message, once I find that. I have a friend in Louisville with one as well.

As for getting it shopped, yes it is clean but dusty inside. Since I know nothing about these I figure I would at least start a relationship with the local shop, turns out this guy has been around a long time and we have likely crossed paths in our younger days as we know many of the same local people. Hope that helps

Thanks!

Dean

#442 3 years ago

Steve Castle is an option too in Lexington. Good guy and I am sure he would be able to help you with your questions.

http://www.castleclassicarcade.com

#443 3 years ago

Thanks Chuck.

#444 3 years ago

Got a call from Stan at the repair shop. Says the bumper problem was indeed a broken wire and an easy fix. Everything works like it should he says. He fixed a few earlier repairs that he felt where not done well, and reattached a board that was not installed securely. Will clean it up and replace the rubber so I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.

Dean

#445 3 years ago

Woo Hoo! I'm in! Gonna be my summer project when work lightens up!image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#446 3 years ago

I have for sale in a lot an original backglass and a fully populated playfield that can be installed in an EBD first edition:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-combo-backglass-and-restored-playfield

Thanks for looking!

Robert Urbanowicz
PINBALLMANIA LLC
www.pinballmania.com
www.facebook.com/pinballmaniallc

7_(resized).jpg

1_(resized).jpg

#447 3 years ago

Is that the correct apron?

The original was white, the LE and "classic" version has the Bally/Midway apron.

#448 3 years ago

That's the correct apron for both the Limited Edition and the Bally/Midway "Classic" editions.

The 1981 original version had the custard colored apron.

Also:

The 1981 score cards read "Eight Ball Deluxe" and the Limited Edition & the Bally/Midway "Classic" score cards both read "Eight Ball Deluxe Limited Edition".

The words "Eight" and "Ball" were always separate on the real Bally score cards though just like they are on the backglass. This would lead one to believe that the cards used in Robert's picture are reproductions. Actually I've seen the incorrect reproductions with Eightball" as one word for sale from parts vendors like Marco and on eBay before. Only a hard-core EBD fan would notice the discrepancy but it's one of those little things that I tend to be a little "anal" about. If someone is going to go to all the trouble of making reproduction score cards they should at least get the spelling right.

I know I can be dick at times but that's just me.

lol

#449 3 years ago

The apron is not the original for the EBD "First Edition", but this playfield can be installed and played in this version without problems.

#450 3 years ago

Congrats on the Eight Ball Deluxe Nveld!

Thats going to be super fun to play! Get to work so I can play it!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Winnipeg, MB
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 2482 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 50.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside