EBD (resized).jpg
IMG_2238 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,673 posts in this topic. You are on page 88 of 114.
#4351 2 years ago

Does anyone know definitively if the original '81 EBD had blue ribbed playfield posts, or red??? I'm a bit of a purist with playfield parts, and I often refer to high resolution images on the original flyers. The original flyer for the '81 EBD shows RED posts, while a LOT of playfield restorations I'm seeing have blue. Anybody still own the original??? Thank you!!

#4352 2 years ago
Quoted from Dakine747:

Does anyone know definitively if the original '81 EBD had blue ribbed playfield posts, or red??? I'm a bit of a purist with playfield parts, and I often refer to high resolution images on the original flyers. The original flyer for the '81 EBD shows RED posts, while a LOT of playfield restorations I'm seeing have blue. Anybody still own the original??? Thank you!!

1) The brochure has the picture of the sample production.
1a) The sample production game has red posts.

2) The game's production run has light blue ribbed posts.
2a) New reproduced ribbed posts are dark blue.

3) EBD was also made with a sample 6803 cpu with alpha numeric displays.

#4353 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

1) The brochure has the picture of the sample production.
1a) The sample production game has red posts.
2) The game's production run has light blue ribbed posts.
2a) New reproduced ribbed posts are dark blue.
3) EBD was also made with a sample 6803 cpu with alpha numeric displays.

Thank you!! Cheers!

#4354 2 years ago

Officially joined this evening.

5CB904F9-662A-49B3-B23C-0F29CF7D2586 (resized).png5CB904F9-662A-49B3-B23C-0F29CF7D2586 (resized).pngB30EE607-EF5E-4189-8771-8D10D9053186 (resized).jpegB30EE607-EF5E-4189-8771-8D10D9053186 (resized).jpegCAC215FC-D1D1-4236-B955-69FAA54AFE5C (resized).pngCAC215FC-D1D1-4236-B955-69FAA54AFE5C (resized).pngE36EA2D5-2C0B-45B4-BDD6-EB33B00658BC (resized).pngE36EA2D5-2C0B-45B4-BDD6-EB33B00658BC (resized).pngF9F2BE57-CAE9-49AD-99A0-DD8C6F25094C (resized).pngF9F2BE57-CAE9-49AD-99A0-DD8C6F25094C (resized).png
#4355 2 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I love the 1984 edition. Playfield looks like it's in nice shape, too!

#4356 2 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome to the club. You’re going to love it.

#4357 2 years ago
Quoted from Dakine747:

The first several hundred production games had red posts and white pop bumper caps just like in the flyer.

#4358 2 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

The first several hundred production games had red posts and white pop bumper caps just like in the flyer.

Are the white bumper caps still available? I have three NOS white rings but no white caps.

#4359 2 years ago

Nope

#4360 2 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Are the white bumper caps still available? I have three NOS white rings but no white caps.

One pinside used White Gottlieb parts to mimic the Bally prototype.

1 week later
#4362 2 years ago

As of last Saturday, I’m a card-carrying member of the club with a beautifully restored ‘81….

YeeeeeeeHAAAWWW!!

6E4F25C6-19DA-4EF7-9543-9C4A749CDEBC (resized).jpeg6E4F25C6-19DA-4EF7-9543-9C4A749CDEBC (resized).jpeg9BD75F57-9789-4F07-A14E-71B501B22806 (resized).jpeg9BD75F57-9789-4F07-A14E-71B501B22806 (resized).jpeg
#4363 2 years ago
Quoted from Dakine747:

YeeeeeeeHAAAWWW

Nice shot.

#4364 2 years ago

This 3/16 amp fuse right of the red arrow keeps blowing what could be causing this?

20211024_201550 (resized).jpg20211024_201550 (resized).jpg
#4365 2 years ago
Quoted from dhard:

This 3/16 amp fuse right of the red arrow keeps blowing what could be causing this?
[quoted image]

Regulator transistors have failed... +190 regulator...
One or more score display has shorted...
1) unplug displays.
2) fix regulator voltage.
3) plug test one display at a time.
4) reconnect displays one at a time.
5) adjust +190 regulator to lower voltage. aprox +170
6) test wire continuity from cabinet bridge power supply to voltage regulator board.

#4366 2 years ago

Has anyone ever modded the sound for this game? I hate the "pew pew pew" sound, but it would be nice to have some background sounds, since it sounds too quiet without them.

#4367 2 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Has anyone ever modded the sound for this game? I hate the "pew pew pew" sound, but it would be nice to have some background sounds, since it sounds too quiet without them.

Sounds like you need to adjust the sound settings away from chimes and enable background sounds - see the top of page 7 in the manual.

Basically, keep hitting the little red self test button inside the coin door until you get to number 18 in the Ball in Play display. Then hold the start button until the player displays shows the number "03". Then press the self test button a few more complete the audits and reboot.

#4368 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Sounds like you need to adjust the sound settings away from chimes and enable background sounds - see the top of page 7 in the manual.
Basically, keep hitting the little red self test button inside the coin door until you get to number 18 in the Ball in Play display. Then hold the start button until the player displays shows the number "03". Then press the self test button a few more complete the audits and reboot.

Oh yeah, I've done that. But what I mean is the setting with background sounds, #3, sucks. The constant pewpewpew background sound is awful. I'm wondering if anyone has ever modded the sound rom to have something a little less space-invader-ey, and a little more pool-hall-like.

#4369 2 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

But what I mean is the setting with background sounds, #3, sucks. The constant pewpewpew background sound is awful.

I guess we sit in different camps. I would never change the sounds on this masterpiece game.

#4370 2 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Oh yeah, I've done that. But what I mean is the setting with background sounds, #3, sucks. The constant pewpewpew background sound is awful. I'm wondering if anyone has ever modded the sound rom to have something a little less space-invader-ey, and a little more pool-hall-like.

Try contacting @geeteoh. He has done this for xenon and can probably do this for ebd.

#4371 2 years ago

My replacement S&T board can have custom backgrounds. It’s just a WAV file to change on my board. It could be one of the 8 sounds banks.

#4372 2 years ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

My replacement S&T board can have custom backgrounds. It’s just a WAV file to change on my board. It could be one of the 8 sounds banks.

Do you have any information including price of your board that you can share?

#4373 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Do you have any information including price of your board that you can share?

Geeteoh.com

#4374 2 years ago

Thanks. Has anyone bought and installed one that can provide comment or a review?

There's a great selection of videos available here....

https://geeteoh.com/geeteoh/squawktalk.shtml

Interested to hear from anyone that has bought and installed.

#4375 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Thanks. Has anyone bought and installed one that can provide comment or a review?
There's a great selection of videos available here....
https://geeteoh.com/geeteoh/squawktalk.shtml
Interested to hear from anyone that has bought and installed.

I just got the xenon board but I can't test it for some time since I'm doing a full restore. All I can say is that it looks very well made. And was delivered quickly.

#4376 2 years ago

Parts - Wanted
Wanted! - “Looking for a 1984 Eight Ball Deluxe backglass. It is smaller than the 1981 version. Dimensions are: 26 1/2" wide by 25 7/8" high. It does not have a lift channel, rather it sli...”
2021-10-19
Jarrettsville, MD
Wanted
Archived after: 27 days
Viewed: 73 times

Quoted from Pinballer73:

I just installed a Geeteoh S & T board in an '81 EBD that I just sold, and I was delighted with it.

The original Bally had 15 ICs on it with 10 socketed with crappy Augat sockets. The Geeteoh has three ICs, all socketed. It also has a three digit LED display that shows the exact DC voltage that is present in the board. Mine was set at 4.97 VDC. The old board had well over a dozen electrolytic capacitors, all of which had to be replaced. The new one has three. There are also three adjustments on the board for sound and speech, which are very clear by the way. This is 2021 technology, not 40 year old tech. And as mentioned above, you can ever program in your own sounds and maybe speech, I don't know, that's beyond me.

So you can either wrestle with old capacitors, crap sockets, corroded chip legs and header pins, massive de-soldering and soldering, OR, you can cough up $200 plus low shipping and your problems are solved.

#4377 2 years ago

Parts - Wanted
Wanted! - “Looking for an apron and shooter gauge decal set for a 1984 Eight Ball Deluxe. It is the black apron with red trim marked "Bally Midway" in the left hand corner. Would also consi...”
2021-10-28
Jarrettsville, MD
Wanted
Archived after: 42 days
Viewed: 53 times

2 weeks later
#4378 2 years ago

My le I customized

20211109_172856 (resized).jpg20211109_172856 (resized).jpg20211111_134008 (resized).jpg20211111_134008 (resized).jpg
#4379 2 years ago
Quoted from Bongiorno:

My le I customized

That looks nice - can we see the side artwork on the cab, too?

#4380 2 years ago

Sure, put a hardtop on ..I'm 16 yrs old again!! This is the on that pulled me in ..

20211021_204047 (resized).jpg20211021_204047 (resized).jpg
#4381 2 years ago
Quoted from Bongiorno:

Sure, put a hardtop on ..I'm 16 yrs old again!! This is the on that pulled me in ..

Me too! Put a hardtop on mine, and this is the game I spent the most of my allowance on in the early 80's. With as many quarters I put in that thing from age 15 to 20, I probably could've owned a few outright back then.

I like what you did to your LE cabinet - looks really nice!

#4382 2 years ago

Thanks,love to have u over.. I grew up in westminister..played at Soda Straw 84th and pecos.. great times good oldies.. eight ball deluxe, Flash and gorgar were the go to games...

#4383 2 years ago

Does anyone know any info on the Oliver O home V32 Rom for this game? just wondering whats different about it.

#4384 2 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Does anyone know any info on the Oliver O home V32 Rom for this game? just wondering whats different about it.

From his web site:

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

eight ball deluxe / 32 271007
- freeplay: if dip switch 25 = on and dip switch 26 = on freeplay is enable: decrease credits not lower then 01
- bonus bug for player 2 and 4 fixed(from production rom): If the 56K or 112K bonus holdover light is lit while the bonus is being scored, the game scores bonus for *9* balls for a total bonus count of 63K instead of 56K and 128K instead of 112K. This bug is fixed.

A new skillshoot is implemented:
1) When all the right horseshoes targets are down and the eight ball is hit, the deluxe targets are lit. (as production rom) No deluxe target is flashing at the beginning.
2) After you hit any of the lit deluxe target, the flashing sequence starts. The next target deluxe is flashing. (For example if you hit de"L"uxe then the "U" is flashing).
3) If you hit a flashing deluxe target, then you get 15'000 point and the next deluxe target flashes. (In this case the "X").
4) If you hit a dark deluxe target, the deluxe target keeps flashing.
5) if you hit another lit deluxe target, the flashing stops.
6) When you hit the last flashing deluxe target, you score 550'000 points and you hear "eight ball deluxe".

New with version 28:
If you hit another lit deluxe target, we wait now two flashes, before the flashing stops.
If you hit the correct, flashing target during this time, the flashing sequence continue...
This should enable dual target hits...

New with version 32:
Credit display permanent on,
If dip switch 27 is on, "D" is flashing after the 8 ball target is hit.
If dip switch 27 is off, no target is flashing after the 8 ball target is hit.
The number of flashes for the entire deluxe bank after the eight ball is hit, is reduced to three tims

Burn the two files on 2732 eprom
After power on you will see the version number in the player one display.

#4385 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

From his web site:
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html
eight ball deluxe / 32 271007
- freeplay: if dip switch 25 = on and dip switch 26 = on freeplay is enable: decrease credits not lower then 01
- bonus bug for player 2 and 4 fixed(from production rom): If the 56K or 112K bonus holdover light is lit while the bonus is being scored, the game scores bonus for *9* balls for a total bonus count of 63K instead of 56K and 128K instead of 112K. This bug is fixed.
A new skillshoot is implemented:
1) When all the right horseshoes targets are down and the eight ball is hit, the deluxe targets are lit. (as production rom) No deluxe target is flashing at the beginning.
2) After you hit any of the lit deluxe target, the flashing sequence starts. The next target deluxe is flashing. (For example if you hit de"L"uxe then the "U" is flashing).
3) If you hit a flashing deluxe target, then you get 15'000 point and the next deluxe target flashes. (In this case the "X").
4) If you hit a dark deluxe target, the deluxe target keeps flashing.
5) if you hit another lit deluxe target, the flashing stops.
6) When you hit the last flashing deluxe target, you score 550'000 points and you hear "eight ball deluxe".
New with version 28:
If you hit another lit deluxe target, we wait now two flashes, before the flashing stops.
If you hit the correct, flashing target during this time, the flashing sequence continue...
This should enable dual target hits...
New with version 32:
Credit display permanent on,
If dip switch 27 is on, "D" is flashing after the 8 ball target is hit.
If dip switch 27 is off, no target is flashing after the 8 ball target is hit.
The number of flashes for the entire deluxe bank after the eight ball is hit, is reduced to three tims
Burn the two files on 2732 eprom
After power on you will see the version number in the player one display.

Thanks!

#4386 2 years ago

Got to love that vinyl cutter!

71E24BEC-458A-4237-BDD2-1051C060CCC2 (resized).jpeg71E24BEC-458A-4237-BDD2-1051C060CCC2 (resized).jpegB75066F2-F524-43A6-874C-9CB0F103700E (resized).jpegB75066F2-F524-43A6-874C-9CB0F103700E (resized).jpeg
#4387 2 years ago

Im having a slight issue and i cant seem to find a solution. I have a 84 machine and during the coil cycle test when it goes to fire the memory drop coils for drop 1-9 and the next one 2-10 the coil fire but not very strong. The plunger will extend but not have enough force and power to drop the target. During this exact same time as firing these memory coils coils the 7 bank and 4 bank rests coils also will weakly trigger. I tried working thru all the existing factory boards and found nothing, I even have 3 old and brand new solenoid expander relay boards that I tried and it still happens, I have new spare boards for my other builds from nvram weebly so i went full out and installed them all as a test. New mpu board, new solenoid driver board, new lamp driver and new aux driver board and even a new power board I had for my flash Gordon and it still happens even when the machine is 100% on new boards. I don't see any shorts or any indications of one in the wiring.

#4388 2 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Im having a slight issue and i cant seem to find a solution. I have a 84 machine and during the coil cycle test when it goes to fire the memory drop coils for drop 1-9 and the next one 2-10 the coil fire but not very strong. The plunger will extend but not have enough force and power to drop the target. During this exact same time as firing these memory coils coils the 7 bank and 4 bank rests coils also will weakly trigger. I tried working thru all the existing factory boards and found nothing, I even have 3 old and brand new solenoid expander relay boards that I tried and it still happens, I have new spare boards for my other builds from nvram weebly so i went full out and installed them all as a test. New mpu board, new solenoid driver board, new lamp driver and new aux driver board and even a new power board I had for my flash Gordon and it still happens even when the machine is 100% on new boards. I don't see any shorts or any indications of one in the wiring.

Check the caps and diodes on each switch and coil in the drop target bank - the legs often break after 40 years of vibrations or perhaps an operator clipped one leg off for one reason or other.

EBD Coils.jpgEBD Coils.jpgIMG_8772.jpgIMG_8772.jpgIMG_8773.jpgIMG_8773.jpg
#4389 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Check the caps and diodes on each switch and coil in the drop target bank - the legs often break after 40 years of vibrations or perhaps an operator clipped one leg off for one reason or other. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Double check that all expanded coils have the proper two diodes on each one as well.

#4390 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Double check that all expanded coils have the proper two diodes on each one as well.

The 2 memory coils are the correct 3 terminal ones. I did cut the diode leg off and tested but i will check again today and just take the time and install new diodes while i have it apart again.

#4391 2 years ago

I think what my brain cant process is if the memory coils or related coil items are faulty why would the reset coils for the 7 and 4 bank trigger during the memory coil tests for the first two drops?

#4392 2 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

I think what my brain cant process is if the memory coils or related coil items are faulty why would the reset coils for the 7 and 4 bank trigger during the memory coil tests for the first two drops?

They're all trying to reset at the same time because of a sneak short back through a missing or blown diode. Check *all* of the expanded coils for double diodes not just the two memory drops.

#4393 2 years ago

Opinions needed.

I have an '84 EBD that I plan to sell to a friend. The only apron I have for it is the custard colored one for the '81 version. Apparently any NOS stock of the correct apron with black background and red trim stripes as well as any decal kits are unobtainium.

Here is an IPDB pic of the '84 EBD apron, followed by a Black Pyramid apron and then by a Vector apron. The last two are the closest I could find with a black background although the color stripes are different.

What would you guys do? Stick with the custard, or go with either Vector or Black Pyramid?

Thanks for any suggestions and everyone please have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Alan

'84 EBD apron (resized).png'84 EBD apron (resized).pngBlack Pyramid apron (resized).pngBlack Pyramid apron (resized).pngVector apron (resized).pngVector apron (resized).png
#4394 2 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Opinions needed.
I have an '84 EBD that I plan to sell to a friend. The only apron I have for it is the custard colored one for the '81 version. Apparently any NOS stock of the correct apron with black background and red trim stripes as well as any decal kits are unobtainium.
Here is an IPDB pic of the '84 EBD apron, followed by a Black Pyramid apron and then by a Vector apron. The last two are the closest I could find with a black background although the color stripes are different.
What would you guys do? Stick with the custard, or go with either Vector or Black Pyramid?
Thanks for any suggestions and everyone please have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Alan [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I recently had a similar dilemma, only it was for myself and a Stern Meteor. Similar situation in that no decal kits for these early Sterns are available and when they were some years ago, there were typos.

What I decided to do for my Meteor restore was to powder coat the apron and shooter gauge to black and do one of two things:

#1 - wait for someone to make a decal kit
#2 - commission my brother-in-law, who is a sign maker and graphic artist by trade, to hand-paint or airbrush the graphics on

After I finished the Meteor restore last week, I put it in (powder coated black) to enjoy the pin for the holidays while I thought about the options. Now that it's in, I'm actually kinda liking it the way it is and I may just leave it be.

Just my opinion, but I would definitely NOT put in the mustard '81 apron in the '84 EBD. I also have an '84 EBD that I restored last year but my apron and shooter gauge weren't bad enough to warrant a re-paint yet. However, I only just realized recently (after owning this pin for a few years) that the apron I got on it when I bought the pin probably came from a Vector as well! Someone pointed out to me that my '84 EBD should have the Bally/Midway decals, not Bally Pinball Division. Doh!! Can't believe I didn't notice that. Now I'm thinking the same strategy for my own '84 EBD apron and shooter gauge....paint it black and then wait for the decal kit (someday) or ship it to my brother-in-law to paint on the graphics. Or just leave it black like my Meteor....that's really grown on me.

But no mustard '81 apron on an '84, lol!!
IMG_0908 (resized).JPGIMG_0908 (resized).JPGIMG_8625 (resized).JPGIMG_8625 (resized).JPG

#4395 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

They're all trying to reset at the same time because of a sneak short back through a missing or blown diode. Check *all* of the expanded coils for double diodes not just the two memory drops.

I will carefully go over it all again as I think you suggestion about a short or diode is an issue.

Now this is another thing that is having an issue register with me. The Expander board on has that famous wedge bulb associated with it. It sure looks like the way the schematic is done up that with a bulb in or not the board relay should trigger. Am I correct ?

#4396 2 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

I will carefully go over it all again as I think you suggestion about a short or diode is an issue.
Now this is another thing that is having an issue register with me. The Expander board on has that famous wedge bulb associated with it. It sure looks like the way the schematic is done up that with a bulb in or not the board relay should trigger. Am I correct ?

OK wait I found a old post early in this thread. Ok the bulb is there to ensure the correct voltage is passed to the MOC3011 opto-isolator to trigger it so that in turn triggers the relay. So then if the bulb is out or the bulb is burnt the MOC3011 opto-isolator should not trigger the relay.....right? On my machine and my friends machine with the bulbs removed the relay still triggers when either using a old working expander board or a new version of the board.

#4397 2 years ago

Not necessarily. Some optocouplers will activate at a lower threshold. Bulb is there to ensure all optocouplers will activate.

#4398 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Not necessarily. Some optocouplers will activate at a lower threshold. Bulb is there to ensure all optocouplers will activate.

Thanks for sharing that. I now know something new and the day is not over just yet.

#4399 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

However, I only just realized recently (after owning this pin for a few years) that the apron I got on it when I bought the pin probably came from a Vector as well! Someone pointed out to me that my '84 EBD should have the Bally/Midway decals, not Bally Pinball Division. Doh!! Can't believe I didn't notice that. Now I'm thinking the same strategy for my own '84 EBD apron and shooter gauge....paint it black and then wait for the decal kit (someday) or ship it to my brother-in-law to paint on the graphics. Or just leave it black like my Meteor....that's really grown on me.
But no mustard '81 apron on an '84, lol!!

You have the EBD-LE apron there. It even says that on the scoring card...

#4400 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

You have the EBD-LE apron there. It even says that on the scoring card...

Apron might be EBD LE or Vector (they're the same) but don't go by the cards. I made them myself. And for whatever reason, the '84 EBD cards do say Limited Edition (which is why I put that on my repros).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bloomsburg, PA
$ 10.00
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 179.00
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,673 posts in this topic. You are on page 88 of 114.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well/page/88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.