EBD (resized).jpg
IMG_2238 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,669 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 114.
#3801 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Go to know it's not uncommon on this game. Come to think of it, i had that happen occasionally on my Paragon a while back when i owned one.

It's not common at all IME. Mine doesn't do it, and it didn't do it "back in the day" either (when we used to shoot for the saucer a lot because of the specials)

Paragon is a different story, a lot of those do it. But probably also fixable.

The key is the clear plastics in the upper corner. They have to slow the ball enough to dump it into the saucer. I spent about 4 hours tweaking it on mine 10+ years ago and it's remained ok ever since.

You can also dial back the strength of the upper left flipper by having the end of stroke open slightly earlier, and even have a -600 flipper coil instead of the more common -500 in there.

I don't know if the differing shapes of clear plastics available make a difference, I have the proper jughandle one on mine I think most of that is for the ball getting stuck behind the drop though.

#3802 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The key is the clear plastics in the upper corner. They have to slow the ball enough to dump it into the saucer. I spent about 4 hours tweaking it on mine 10+ years ago and it's remained ok ever since.

Any specific tips for the tweaks that need to be made to the clear plastic guides? I'll see if i can loosen the screws a little and try slightly repositioning the plastic guides.

Good to know about the weaker flipper coil. If the EOS adjustment doesn't seem to cut it, I'll probably give that a try.

Thanks!

#3803 3 years ago

Can anyone please send me a close up picture of connector J3 on the solenoid board? I think that the 3 loose wires that I have belong in places 10,11 and 12 , and I just want to verify. Also, where is the best place to get that 25 pin .100 connector? I would like to get it from Digikey if possible, but I have no idea how to look it up, as I don't exactly know what to call it. Thanks!

#3804 3 years ago

I think it's with the clear plastics by the saucer. Worn plastics and the jumps passed the saucer. One game I swapped, the ball was ejecting and bouncing back into the saucer. Had to adjust trajectory or the saucer. It actually shows the angle in the manual.

#3805 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Has anyone had trouble with the ball jumping over the saucer in the back behind the 8 ball? I finally got my EBDLE back together and that's one of the last issues I'm trying to sort out. Suggestions?

Funny, i'm on my 2nd EBD, and have owned the 2 for a total of probably 8 or 9 years and have had this happen maybe a half a dozen times

#3806 3 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Funny, i'm on my 2nd EBD, and have owned the 2 for a total of probably 8 or 9 years and have had this happen maybe a half a dozen times

Yep, I've owned my EBD since 1984 and while this does happen occasionally, it's a very rare occurrence.

I've also had the ball get INTO the saucer from the A/B lanes by happening to bounce just right to pop the gate up for a moment and sneak in. And have also had the ball go around the eight ball target and into the saucer. But all these things are quite unusual.

#3807 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

And have also had the ball go around the eight ball target and into the saucer.

Me too! The joys of pinball kinetics.

#3808 3 years ago
Quoted from Tinnhound:

Can anyone please send me a close up picture of connector J3 on the solenoid board? I think that the 3 loose wires that I have belong in places 10,11 and 12 , and I just want to verify. Also, where is the best place to get that 25 pin .100 connector? I would like to get it from Digikey if possible, but I have no idea how to look it up, as I don't exactly know what to call it. Thanks!

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=22-01-2257

#3809 3 years ago
Quoted from Tinnhound:

You need a Molex brand connector. You will also need to buy the pins(connectors) and the crimping tool. The connectors curr in your game are, as far as I know,.obsolete. not only that there's a special tool needed to insert the wires into those tiny blades in the housing.

Either way this job is tedious and will be a learning experience for you.

That one is out of stock so you need to get the value line, this one is in stock and has the locking ramp but still able to be used

Scroll down this page:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=164

#3810 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Yep, I've owned my EBD since 1984 and while this does happen occasionally, it's a very rare occurrence. .

Mine was hopping past the saucer more and more, turned out in the repro plastics I'd put in many many years ago, that clear plastic was chipping at the edge near the saucer. They were not very sturdy and compared to the totally undamaged old one I still had, it didn't look very accurately cut either, so I just put my old one back in and it reduced the skipping to where it's only occasional now. And adjusting the positioning as much as you can as you tighten the screws for the plastics there. So if you get repros, get high quality ones.
The reducing power on the side flipper sounds like a good idea too especially if you've rebuilt the flippers, I suppose a slightly weaker coil or gapping the EOS switch more. That flipper can really slam the ball in there hard.

#3811 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

You need a Molex brand connector. You will also need to buy the pins(connectors) and the crimping tool. The connectors curr in your game are, as far as I know,.obsolete. not only that there's a special tool needed to insert the wires into those tiny blades in the housing.
Either way this job is tedious and will be a learning experience for you.

That one is out of stock so you need to get the value line, this one is in stock and has the locking ramp but still able to be used
Scroll down this page:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=164

Big Daddy also has them. Scroll down.

http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/repairkits/bally_kits.htm#b-lampconn

#3812 3 years ago

What is a fair price to pay for a working nice original EBD?

#3814 3 years ago

Imo anywhere in the 2-3.5k range would be about right these days. EBD is pulling a nice premium.

#3815 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Imo anywhere in the 2-3.5k range would be about right these days. EBD is pulling a nice premium.

Appreciate that.. my wife has relatives near Topeka. Interesting town. We were there about 4 years ago for a family reunion & was woken up by a earthquake. Do they happen there often?

We also picked up a Firepower & a F-14 from wife's uncle near Creighton Mo.

#3816 3 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Appreciate that.. my wife has relatives near Topeka. Interesting town. We were there about 4 years ago for a family reunion & was woken up by a earthquake. Do they happen there often?
We also picked up a Firepower & a F-14 from wife's uncle near Creighton Mo.

Topeka is certainly....interesting... for sure.

I don't think I've ever felt an earthquake here though. Lots of tornadoes!

F14 is one I had and sold.. kinda miss it, but can't keep em all!

#3817 3 years ago

"F14 is one I had and sold.. kinda miss it, but can't keep em all"

Isn't that the truth... I am going to sell Fireball ll so there's room for Who Dunnit which is at my friend Don (Grumpy here)

I do have a EBD but the cabinet needs a full restore. Playfield is nice, boards all bullet proofed & new backglass but if the 1 I am looking at isn't to pricey I may consider selling the 1 I have.

I can put 8 machines in a row in the basement but that's pretty tight.

#3818 3 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

"F14 is one I had and sold.. kinda miss it, but can't keep em all"
Isn't that the truth... I am going to sell Fireball ll so there's room for Who Dunnit which is at my friend Don (Grumpy here)
I do have a EBD but the cabinet needs a full restore. Playfield is nice, boards all bullet proofed & new backglass but if the 1 I am looking at isn't to pricey I may consider selling the 1 I have.
I can put 8 machines in a row in the basement but that's pretty tight.

Just dragged Getaway out tonight. My row is looking kind of sad at the moment (Cactus Jack's and EBD are on the other side, next to my neo geo). Once shuttle is paid for I can go grab my high speed and buy the metallica premium at the same time. That leaves me at 7 which is really where I need to be. 8 is doable but a bit too far into my wife's area, really. I'm going to try staying at 7 for a bit. I moved Taxi over for now. Think I'll put high speed on the right and Metallica where Shuttle is.. modern, sys11, sys11, wpc, modern--decent feng shui I think.

20210220_185024 (resized).jpg20210220_185024 (resized).jpg20210220_185359 (resized).jpg20210220_185359 (resized).jpg
#3819 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

POST is not completing. Check the LED on the MPU board, watch it after you turn on power, and count the flashes. Here's a guide for the MPU flashes:
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index2.htm#flash

The LED flashes 2 times, pauses, and flashes 5 additional times. It's an Alltek replacement board.

#3820 3 years ago
Quoted from cngizbleevng:

The LED flashes 2 times, pauses, and flashes 5 additional times. It's an Alltek replacement board.

Ah, an Alltek board. I don't know if the diagnostic flashes of the original Bally MPU line up with the Allteks. Allteks are usually pretty rock solid, so let's assume the MPU is good. Time to check voltages - do you have a voltmeter? Start at section 1g here: https://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm

First thing I would do, carefully with the power on and the machine in its "failed" state, is confirm you have the correct voltages at the test points on the power supply rectifier board. If those look good, check for the correct voltages at the test points on the solenoid driver board.

#3821 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Here's the part number, but I've never seen it in stock at Marco's or anywhere else: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-3868
If you want to venture out of the US, here's a used one in the Netherlands: https://www.flippersloop.nl/en_GB/a-56145420/various/glass-lock-assembly-a-3868-bally-used/#description[quoted image]

Marco finally had this in stock so I grabbed one. Of course, I didn't also grab a 1-1/8 lock so I still need to hit the hardware store...

I can't figure out what I'm missing for securing it on the left side. Can someone share a pic?

Also, my top trim piece ALWAYS catches on the left corner when I remove the backglass... why? It's driving me insane!

Screenshot_20210226-162620_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210226-162620_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210226-162601_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210226-162601_Gallery (resized).jpg20210226_162832 (resized).jpg20210226_162832 (resized).jpg20210226_162827 (resized).jpg20210226_162827 (resized).jpg20210226_162914 (resized).jpg20210226_162914 (resized).jpg20210226_163008 (resized).jpg20210226_163008 (resized).jpg
#3822 3 years ago

I believe it has a thick round washer along with a truss head screw.
Check your black trim width... you might have to trim or move it over a bit.

#3823 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I believe it has a thick round washer along with a truss head screw.
Check your black trim width... you might have to trim or move it over a bit.

Yeah, I guess I should have figured the left side was nothing terribly special. I'll dig around and see what I can find. And I'll play around with the trim a bit. The old glass doesn't do it

#3824 3 years ago

Also got some more crap to get this going again. Need to swap my blue inserts and the weather is ALMOST getting nice enough to clear...

20210226_175056 (resized).jpg20210226_175056 (resized).jpg
#3825 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Ah, an Alltek board. I don't know if the diagnostic flashes of the original Bally MPU line up with the Allteks. Allteks are usually pretty rock solid, so let's assume the MPU is good. Time to check voltages - do you have a voltmeter? Start at section 1g here: https://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm
First thing I would do, carefully with the power on and the machine in its "failed" state, is confirm you have the correct voltages at the test points on the power supply rectifier board. If those look good, check for the correct voltages at the test points on the solenoid driver board.

I appreciate your response, but which board is the power supply rectifier board? And where do I connect the voltmeter's probes to? The link shows the boards in the backbox, but I don't know if they correspond to my 1984 version, and none of the labels in the link's photo refer to a rectifier board.

20210226_191100 (resized).png20210226_191100 (resized).png
#3826 3 years ago

I appreciate your response, but which board is the power supply rectifier board? And where do I connect the voltmeter's probes to? The link shows the boards in the backbox, but I don't know if they correspond to my 1984 version, and none of the labels in the link's photo refer to a rectifier board.
[quoted image]

Rectifier is in the cabinet below the playfield, not in the head. And they're usually in rough shape.

#3827 3 years ago

Like KSUWildcatFan said, the power supply and rectifier PCB are in the bottom of the cabinet, not the backbox. For future reference, in the backbox, the boards are (from left to right, top to bottom): MPU (motherboard), SDB (Solenoid Driver Board), Lamp Module, Aux Lamp Module, and Sound board (called Squawk & Talk).

Here's a picture of the power supply/rectifier in my 1984 EBD. The rectifier PCB will have test points on them, called "TP1", "TP2", etc. That's were you measure with your DVM and compare to the values in the link I sent you. Your rectifier PCB might look different (mine is aftermarket) but it's the same idea.

IMG_8649 (resized).JPGIMG_8649 (resized).JPG
#3828 3 years ago

Marco finally had this in stock so I grabbed one. Of course, I didn't also grab a 1-1/8 lock so I still need to hit the hardware store...
I can't figure out what I'm missing for securing it on the left side. Can someone share a pic?
Also, my top trim piece ALWAYS catches on the left corner when I remove the backglass... why? It's driving me insane!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

IIRC the left side of the lock bar gets a spring washer plus 2 flat washers. The same washer that is used on the inside coin door trim bolts. Depending on the lock you get you may need to add or take away a washer. The washers go between the cab wood and the lock bar secured by a 1 inch pan/truss head screw.

#3829 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

IIRC the left side of the lock bar gets a spring washer plus 2 flat washers. The same washer that is used on the inside coin door trim bolts. Depending on the lock you get you may need to add or take away a washer. The washers go between the cab wood and the lock bar secured by a 1 inch pan/truss head screw.

This may be a stupid question but what exactly does this bar do? I don’t have a key for mine.

#3830 3 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

This may be a stupid question but what exactly does this bar do? I don’t have a key for mine.

It prevents the backglass from being lifted out when in the locked position.

#3831 3 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

Also from falling out, which mine does, every time the head is folded down.

#3832 3 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

Also from falling out, which mine does, every time the head is folded down.

Aha, thank you. I should probably get a new lock.

#3833 3 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Aha, thank you. I should probably get a new lock.

Having the glass lock assembly present may be enough to keep the glass from falling out, I just know that with it not installed in my game at all I have to remove my glass before I lower the head. Not that it moves around a lot, but I just want to be done with that requirement.

#3834 3 years ago

KSUWildcatFan - do you still need close-up pictures of this? My EBD is the 1984 with the swinging backglass door, but I could take some pix of one of my other early Bally SS's which should be the same as the '81 EBD.

#3835 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Like ksuwildcatfan said, the power supply and rectifier PCB are in the bottom of the cabinet, not the backbox. For future reference, in the backbox, the boards are (from left to right, top to bottom): MPU (motherboard), SDB (Solenoid Driver Board), Lamp Module, Aux Lamp Module, and Sound board (called Squawk & Talk).
Here's a picture of the power supply/rectifier in my 1984 EBD. The rectifier PCB will have test points on them, called "TP1", "TP2", etc. That's were you measure with your DVM and compare to the values in the link I sent you. Your rectifier PCB might look different (mine is aftermarket) but it's the same idea.[quoted image]

Ok, you're going to swat me, but I discovered one of the fuses on the power board was blown. It's in position F4, which the manual states should house a 32V-5A fuse. The blown fuse is a 125V-5A fuse. Does that matter, or should I order what the manual states I should use (I'm running mostly LEDs, if that makes a difference).

#3836 3 years ago

The voltage as long as it's higher on the fuse doesn't matter - the amp rating is what's important.

And if it's fast or slow blow.

#3837 3 years ago

Ok, you're going to swat me, but I discovered one of the fuses on the power board was blown. It's in position F4, which the manual states should house a 32V-5A fuse. The blown fuse is a 125V-5A fuse. Does that matter, or should I order what the manual states I should use (I'm running mostly LEDs, if that makes a difference).

Blown fuses are good (as in quick/easy), but they do usually blow for a reason. Let's see how the replacement fuse does.

#3838 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

ksuwildcatfan - do you still need close-up pictures of this? My EBD is the 1984 with the swinging backglass door, but I could take some pix of one of my other early Bally SS's which should be the same as the '81 EBD.

Nah, nbd for right now. I'm going to have to remove it all again to paint the head anyway so there's plenty of time for me to scrounge up some working parts. Working on replacing my blue inserts today and I finished replacing the second 28-pin lamp board connector. My $35 ratcheting crimper from PBL can f itself (didn't realize it didn't do .100!) but the one I bought from GPE worked like a charm. Made this easy as pie. The inserts, on the other hand....I hate these things.

20210228_155445 (resized).jpg20210228_155445 (resized).jpg20210228_165734 (resized).jpg20210228_165734 (resized).jpg20210228_165811 (resized).jpg20210228_165811 (resized).jpg20210228_165827 (resized).jpg20210228_165827 (resized).jpg20210228_170310 (resized).jpg20210228_170310 (resized).jpg20210228_173012 (resized).jpg20210228_173012 (resized).jpg
#3840 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Yikes what are the files for?

Stuff. And things.

Sandpaper takes waaaaaay too long to file down the shoulders and without doing that, they don't fit.. at all...

Hate these damn things.

#3841 3 years ago

Stuff. And things.
Sandpaper takes waaaaaay too long to file down the shoulders and without doing that, they don't fit.. at all...
Hate these damn things.

Ok, you scared me for a minute, I thought you might be cleaning out the holes in the PF to make them fit. Installing new inserts is a challenge, especially when they have a die letter stamped on the top of them. Do you have a Dremel with a drum sander attachment? I think this would less effort than using a hand file. If you don't have a Dremel yet, it's a "must have" for doing pin work like this. In my experience, it's impossible to get a new insert to sit flush with the PF surface and need to sand the tops down until flush. As I told you earlier, a variable speed sander at low speed works the best. Don't let the inserts get hot from sanding as this will cause the to bubble or raise in the center.

How is the blue color of these new inserts? I see from your earlier pics that you got the same part numbers that Marco just gave me for the new batch. Are the 3/4 and 1 inch insert colors consistent?

#3842 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Ok, you scared me for a minute, I thought you might be cleaning out the holes in the PF to make them fit. Installing new inserts is a challenge, especially when they have a die letter stamped on the top of them. Do you have a Dremel with a drum sander attachment? I think this would less effort than using a hand file. If you don't have a Dremel yet, it's a "must have" for doing pin work like this. In my experience, it's impossible to get a new insert to sit flush with the PF surface and need to sand the tops down until flush. As I told you earlier, a variable speed sander at low speed works the best. Don't let the inserts get hot from sanding as this will cause the to bubble or raise in the center.
How is the blue color of these new inserts? I see from your earlier pics that you got the same part numbers that Marco just gave me for the new batch. Are the 3/4 and 1 inch insert colors consistent?

I did use the round file a bit to clean up some of the holes on the PF that were fighting me but I'm NOT cutting into the shoulder that should keep the inserts from falling through. I started off GENTLY filing the tops of the new inserts with the flat file but switched to 220 grit sandpaper because it just works..better. I'm still using the flat file to cut the bottom side of the inserts enough for them to not require a TON of additional sanding topside to be flush against the playfield.

I generally sand the sides a bit as well, if not to help them fit a bit less tightly, then to give them some tack for adhesive to grab on to.

I'm willing to admit that I may have no idea what the hell I'm doing I do have a dremel and it got away from me when I was cleaning up the insert that I broke out (and left the edges still glued in)... so I'm trying to avoid touching it again lol

The 3/4 and 1" inserts do match. Imo it's more of a "light blue" than the original dark blue but I think they'll look okay. Sure beats cracked and/or glue-covered crap like I had.

Temps are supposed to be in the 60s all week. I'm hoping to have this ready to clear in the next couple of days. Earplugs arrived today and I think those will work just fine crammed into the sockets. I'm ready to get moving on this damn thing.

#3843 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Yikes what are the files for?

I can explain everything!!!

#3844 3 years ago

Back on my dining room table to finish prep so I can spray some clear this week. What grit should I sand up to on inserts? I glued the new ones in this morning.

20210301_100425 (resized).jpg20210301_100425 (resized).jpg
#3845 3 years ago

Test fit for encouragement. Need to handle this awfulness in the corners before I move on to clearing.

20210301_112912 (resized).jpg20210301_112912 (resized).jpg20210301_114549 (resized).jpg20210301_114549 (resized).jpg20210301_114556 (resized).jpg20210301_114556 (resized).jpg
#3846 3 years ago

What's the best method for fixing these blown out sling holes? I bought some wood epoxy putty but I've heard people suggest bamboo skewers and retapping? Every time I try to cut the skewer it splinters..

20210301_144718 (resized).jpg20210301_144718 (resized).jpg20210301_144723 (resized).jpg20210301_144723 (resized).jpg
#3847 3 years ago

Maybe try cutting the skewers with a high speed dremel or something? Skewers work well if hole is not too blown out. Wonder if they make threaded posts that are exactly the same except they are threaded for a nut?

#3848 3 years ago

Speaking of slings...all of these switches (including those in the chase) are nasty. Is this the correct one to order? https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-slingshot-score-switch.html

I looked through my manual hoping for a switch listing with a part number but I'm either really blind or it's not there. Also what are the resistors I need to order? From the sling pair I assume the three-prong switch with the resistor is for the sling solenoid itself and the other switch could be just fine with just a two-prong switch and is for scoring... right? The switches in the chase appear to be three-prong so I assume I'd be buying at least 4 total 3-prong as linked above for those. I have 5 of the 2-prong already.

Check out the ground braid used to connect the two switches in pic two...

20210301_181454 (resized).jpg20210301_181454 (resized).jpg20210301_181446 (resized).jpg20210301_181446 (resized).jpg20210301_180622 (resized).jpg20210301_180622 (resized).jpg20210301_181416 (resized).jpg20210301_181416 (resized).jpg

#3849 3 years ago

The braid wire is factory. No resistor do you mean diode? If so it's a 1N4148 or 1N4004 will work. Pay attention to the band side of diode when replacing.

#3850 3 years ago

Oh hell, that IS a diode. It just looked so discolored and sh1tty that I assumed it was a resistor. Doesn't really even make sense for it to be anything other than a diode though.. doh! Good news, I have 37 million of those.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
There are 5,669 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 114.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well/page/77?hl=mathazar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.