EBD (resized).jpg
IMG_2238 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,669 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 114.
#3651 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Are you sticking with the white caps/rings?

DEFINITELY.

#3652 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Took the clamps off my glue job this afternoon and since I had the playfield out, I converted the last two IDC connectors for the lamp board to Molex even tho they weren't given me any problems. One last thing before I put the playfield back in this weekend - I'm going to experiment and change out the leaf switch for the star rollover to a microswitch. I rebuilt the old leaf switch (with a new cap) and even put in an entirely brand new leaf switch (with a new cap) but still, every once in a while, the rollover wouldn't register on a particularly hard shot up the orbit. Going to see if a microswitch behaves any better.

Same problem here. It also happens every once in a while on my 2 outlanes. I'll be interested to see your results with a microswitch.

#3653 3 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Same problem here. It also happens every once in a while on my 2 outlanes. I'll be interested to see your results with a microswitch.

Got my playfield back in the cabinet yesterday and have 30+ games on it so far....very happy.....hope it lasts!

I nixed the idea of a microswitch....while removing the leaf switch in preparation of the change, I noticed some sloppy solder work (by me) on 2 of the 3 lugs. Before going to the trouble of fashioning a "leaf" extension to the microswitch rocker that reaches the rollover insert nub, I reflowed the solder on the leaf switch lugs and it's been registering everything correctly in those 30+ games.

#3654 3 years ago

My hardtop lifted also.I put a hardtop on a frontier and have had 0 problems with it.I wonder if the new glue they switched to has something to do with it.I think I'm done with hard tops.

#3655 3 years ago
Quoted from Shannyman:

My hardtop lifted also.I put a hardtop on a frontier and have had 0 problems with it.I wonder if the new glue they switched to has something to do with it.I think I'm done with hard tops.

Ugh. Any details about exactly how it lifted/ where/ how badly, as well as how you did the prep work?

#3656 3 years ago

I was sort of planning to do a hardtop on my machine one day, but all these people reporting problems have now got me thinking that maybe a playfield swap would be better.

I was thinking that a hardtop would save me time/money, but now it seems like there is a lot more prep work required than was originally advertised - and even then it might not come out right.

#3657 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I was sort of planning to do a hardtop on my machine one day, but all these people reporting problems have now got me thinking that maybe a playfield swap would be better.
I was thinking that a hardtop would save me time/money, but now it seems like there is a lot more prep work required than was originally advertised - and even then it might not come out right.

Not really sure why it seems to be such an issue with EBD. I did nothing more than sand and naphtha my High Speed and it's been great. No clear whatsoever.

#3658 3 years ago

I did sand mine all the way to bare wood to get it nice and flat just like I did with frontier.I cleared both of them the same way and let them sit for 2 weeks to make sure.The frontier glue was nice and flat while the glue on the ebd was gummy.I read they changed the glue so thought it was just the way new glue was.The weird part is the artwork seemed to have separated from top of hardtop and lifted In the middle on the sides at the top.

#3659 3 years ago
Quoted from Shannyman:

I did sand mine all the way to bare wood to get it nice and flat just like I did with frontier.I cleared both of them the same way and let them sit for 2 weeks to make sure.The frontier glue was nice and flat while the glue on the ebd was gummy.I read they changed the glue so thought it was just the way new glue was.The weird part is the artwork seemed to have separated from top of hardtop and lifted In the middle on the sides at the top.

Yeah, that's exactly what mine did. Completely separated from the PETG. The actual adhesive underneath seemed pretty decent FOR THE MOMST PART (it was lifting in the middle near the ball drops, but I have no idea why. The art was pulling from the PETG *and* it was lifting which caused a ridge) tbh. It was the fact that it separated from the PETG--EVERYWHERE, and was getting worse!--that caused me to pull mine. I had to scrape that gummy nasty mess and goo gone/acetone the shit out of it to get it to where it was sandable again. I posted some pictures both of what mine was doing as well as what I had to do to remove it, in case you missed them and are curious.

Contact Outside Edge about it and send them pictures. If they agreed mine was defective as quickly as they did, I'm sure yours will be viewed the same.

Just curious, but how long did you wait to buy your hardtop? I think I bought mine the first week or so after they were announced, so I had one of the earliest ones made. I'm hoping the kinks have been worked out now....

#3660 3 years ago

Beardsley I thought same thing and the way frontier turned out I jumped on ebd when it came out.I own 16 ballys and ebd is my favorite so I ordered a CPR play field.Its beautiful but its a ton of work.It will be my 3rd play field swap.

#3661 3 years ago

Ksu I ordered mine first day they were available.So I hope your right and they can fix problem.I thought it was something I did so I just let it go but seeing other people having same problem I knew there was a problem with the hardtop.How did you get a hold of them I emailed pinball gifts .com and haven't heard back.

#3662 3 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/outsidedge/contact

Send Bruce a PM and see if that gets you somewhere. He'll ask for pictures via email. Perfect opportunity to say you already emailed and didn't get a response....lol

I was definitely excited to do EBD and jumped early for that reason..but yeah, it's been a swift kick in the nuts for sure. If this second hardtop fails, I guess I'm doing a swap too. Really don't want to do that though, so..I hope this one is successful.

#3663 3 years ago

He just asked me for my phone number and going to call me.Thx for your help and lmk how yours turns out.

#3664 3 years ago

No problem! Keep us posted on yours as well! Would definitely be interested in seeing what yours did at some point if you're able, if for no reason other than pure curiosity. Good luck!

#3665 3 years ago

Hey guys. I just got off phone with Bruce. He explained that the people who was doing his artwork took out the chemical that helps it adhere to the plastic without telling him.He said he has since figured out what they were doing and changed who is doing the color for him. He also told me to let everybody know that if anybody has problems not to hesitate to let him know and he will make it right. It good to see such a great company that takes care of its customers. Thank you Bruce

#3666 3 years ago
Quoted from Shannyman:

Hey guys. I just got off phone with Bruce. He explained that the people who was doing his artwork took out the chemical that helps it adhere to the plastic without telling him.He said he has since figured out what they were doing and changed who is doing the color for him. He also told me to let everybody know that if anybody has problems not to hesitate to let him know and he will make it right. It good to see such a great company that takes care of its customers. Thank you Bruce

Holy crap! Those people need BEATEN. I agree, Bruce and Keith are great and I still love hardtops. I'll be a little gunshot on deciding to do the next one I'm sure but once my ebd goes down smoothly and all is well a lot of that nervousness will go away. My high speed and Space Shuttle are both great!

#3667 3 years ago

How long ago did you guys get your hardtops? I got one about 2 months ago and have not gotten around to doing it yet. Now I'm nervous.

#3668 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball4Rob:

How long ago did you guys get your hardtops? I got one about 2 months ago and have not gotten around to doing it yet. Now I'm nervous.

I got my first EBD hardtop in April. I got my replacement in August. Both were affected. I also talked to Bruce at OE today about my Black Knight hardtop (that I bought in August and am planning on installing in January). I'm supposed to call him tomorrow for him to walk me through how to "test" the BK hardtop to see if it's one that's affected.

Reach out to OE (https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/outsidedge/contact) - I'm sure they would walk you through the same test on your EBD to give you peace of mind prior to installing or determine if it needs to be swapped before you commit it to the playfield.

#3669 3 years ago
Quoted from Shannyman:

This is a vendor's worst nightmare. Changes made to their product they built their reputation on...and they didn't even know. Sounds like they are taking care of their customers.

#3670 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I got my first EBD hardtop in April. I got my replacement in August. Both were affected. I also talked to Bruce at OE today about my Black Knight hardtop (that I bought in August and am planning on installing in January). I'm supposed to call him tomorrow for him to walk me through how to "test" the BK hardtop to see if it's one that's affected.

Reach out to OE (https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/outsidedge/contact) - I'm sure they would walk you through the same test on your EBD to give you peace of mind prior to installing or determine if it needs to be swapped before you commit it to the playfield.

Will do. I also bought a comet at the same time.

#3671 3 years ago

I'm in the club! Actually, I will be very soon!

#3672 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball4Rob:

Mine was one of the first groupings of them made. First week.

Quoted from midcoastsurf:

This is a vendor's worst nightmare. Changes made to their product they built their reputation on...and they didn't even know. Sounds like they are taking care of their customers.

Right? Talk about getting done dirty by the printers! I'm just glad they got it figured out. I had no doubts OE would do anything they could to make it right and stand behind their product. I need to get off my lazy ass and get mine cleared so i can apply this thing!

#3673 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball4Rob:

Will do. I also bought a comet at the same time.

Good choice! I bought my Comet within about a month of my EBDLE.

#3674 3 years ago

My friend me this card, knowing how at odds I am with my EBD these days. Ngl, I laughed my ass off.

20201223_150426 (resized).jpg20201223_150426 (resized).jpg20201223_150442 (resized).jpg20201223_150442 (resized).jpg
#3676 3 years ago

The damn 8ball bomb

I love it.

#3677 3 years ago

I read in an earlier post that someone clear coated their brand new cpr playfield. Why ? Is cpr's clear that bad? Worse than the original Bally playfield?

Also, why do some people change out the 555 style lampholders for the older bayonet? I would have thought the bayonets would have been worse.

#3678 3 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

Also, why do some people change out the 555 style lampholders for the older bayonet? I would have thought the bayonets would have been worse.

Nothing wrong with wedge style in general, it's more that the ones used in EBD in particular are among the worst ever. Cheap, flimsy crap to begin with and now 40 years old. That's why people replace them. I broke two just trying to change bulbs prior to this hardtop adventure.

The twist style (with PCBs) used on the 1984 version are the best option but afaik there's only one way to obtain those for the two earlier releases: salvage them from the 1984 cab and transplant.

#3679 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Nothing wrong with wedge style in general, it's more that the ones used in EBD in particular are among the worst ever. Cheap, flimsy crap to begin with and now 40 years old. That's why people replace them. I broke two just trying to change bulbs prior to this hardtop adventure.
The twist style (with PCBs) used on the 1984 version are the best option but afaik there's only one way to obtain those for the two earlier releases: salvage them from the 1984 cab and transplant.

Yeah it’s too bad someone hasn’t remade those PCB boards. The old wedge style on EBD are just awful. I broke a bunch also. Trying to install LEDs in those will leave you with very sore fingers. I’m glad I had all of mine replaced with the playfield swap.

#3680 3 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Yeah it’s too bad someone hasn’t remade those PCB boards. The old wedge style on EBD are just awful. I broke a bunch also. Trying to install LEDs in those will leave you with very sore fingers. I’m glad I had all of mine replaced with the playfield swap.

I still have some 30 or so to do. I guess since weather is turning against me I should probably start doing those. Won't be shooting clear any time soon.

#3681 3 years ago

What playfield pitch are most of you running for EBD?

I have the back legs of my EBD-LE extended all the way up (with 3" levelers), and the front legs all the way down, and the playfield still feels "floaty".

In general, what is the recommended pitch for SS machines of that period?

#3682 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

What playfield pitch are most of you running for EBD?
I have the back legs of my EBD-LE extended all the way up (with 3" levelers), and the front legs all the way down, and the playfield still feels "floaty".
In general, what is the recommended pitch for SS machines of that period?

I keep my EBD at a 5.0 pitch. Between that, a fast hardtop, and a polished ball there's no floatyness at all.

#3683 3 years ago

Weird that you're experiencing floatiness with that kind of pitch. Your front levellers are slammed? That should be crazy fast.

My new inserts came. I'm in hell. Didn't realize SOME of these were opaque with others being translucent...but the translucent ones seem too light... UGH.

20201229_145610 (resized).jpg20201229_145610 (resized).jpg
#3684 3 years ago

This is a *TALL* ask, but I don't suppose anyone has a ....roached.... playfield, maybe from a swap, that they could potentially heat up and press out those green inserts from? I ordered the translucent ones as well as opaque from Marco, just to see if any of those are at all closer, but I highly doubt it. Just trying to see what options I may have. I'd also be plenty interested in ordering from someone else if they had the appropriate color to match. I'm really regretting busting out the one now..that was stupid.

#3685 3 years ago

This is a *TALL* ask, but I don't suppose anyone has a ....roached.... playfield, maybe from a swap, that they could potentially heat up and press out those green inserts from? I ordered the translucent ones as well as opaque from Marco, just to see if any of those are at all closer, but I highly doubt it. Just trying to see what options I may have. I'd also be plenty interested in ordering from someone else if they had the appropriate color to match. I'm really regretting busting out the one now..that was stupid.

I might. Will let you know.

#3686 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I might. Will let you know.

No worries if not. I'll punch out all of the greens and do something different if that's what's needed.

What's realy a bummer is that the one I punched out wasn't even the right damn one. So I still have one filled with cracks that needs punched out. So very dumb on my part.

#3687 3 years ago

No worries if not. I'll punch out all of the greens and do something different if that's what's needed.
What's realy a bummer is that the one I punched out wasn't even the right damn one. So I still have one filled with cracks that needs punched out. So very dumb on my part.

I think I have some that I already extracted years ago. It's easy to reinstall them w slow set epoxy.

#3688 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I think I have some that I already extracted years ago. It's easy to reinstall them w slow set epoxy.

Yeah I think i can get new ones in okay but yikes, its apparently really hard to match these...

#3689 3 years ago

Yeah I think i can get new ones in okay but yikes, its apparently really hard to match these...

Yes the new inserts seem to have a weak or washed out look compared to the original translucent colors.

#3690 3 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Episode 3 - Eight Ball Deluxe (Bally-Midway, 1984) Tutorial Review
History-Features-Gameplay Tutorial of this undeniably outstanding and infamous Bally designed pinball machine. The final game production run, Eight Ball Deluxe 1984 'Classic' edition, is reviewed in great depth of detail.
"Quit talking, and start chalking!"

Episode 3 BONUS - Eight Ball Deluxe (Bally-Midway, 1984)
The EXTENDED history review of Eight Ball Deluxe "Classic" Edition detailed from Episode 3.
Two parts, primary production differences between the 1984 "Classic" edition and the 1981 original game and my personal game comparison/history/details to factory production games.

How do I view this video?

#3691 3 years ago
Quoted from gibsonpool:

How do I view this video?

Don't think you can. Those 3 year old videos are now marked "private" which means the owner removed the sharing attribute. Perhaps PM the poster? He appears to still be active here on pinside.

#3692 3 years ago

I realize that the playfield metal "bell" posts are basically impossible to find, but is there some other type of standoff that works well in that same spot.

Seems like a simple standoff (preferably metal) of the right height would still work ok.

Is anyone out there using a replacement mechanism for these?

#3693 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I realize that the playfield metal "bell" posts are basically impossible to find

You can still buy old plastics off ebay with bell posts attached. Just an example:

ebay.com link: itm

#3694 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I realize that the playfield metal "bell" posts are basically impossible to find

This recent post may be useful. Mentions someone who sells them.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installing-bell-posts-in-new-plastics#post-6045732

#3695 3 years ago

Yes, I have tried contacting him but no response yet, thanks.

#3696 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

You can still buy old plastics off ebay with bell posts attached. Just an example:
ebay.com link

I may have to do that if other sources are not available, thanks.

Seems that something like this would work fine if it was the right height...(this one is too tall though)

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/254-5001-00

#3697 3 years ago

So, have an ebd le, that has an original 81 pf in it. Want to convert it to an 81 (game needs a backglass anyways). So, what games had the correct cabinet? Need a lift out backglass and hinged head right? Flash gordon would work, but outside of that not sure what I need.

#3698 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

So, have an ebd le, that has an original 81 pf in it. Want to convert it to an 81 (game needs a backglass anyways). So, what games had the correct cabinet? Need a lift out backglass and hinged head right? Flash gordon would work, but outside of that not sure what I need.

You can use the Flash Gordon head but you still need the ebd inner lamp panel board that holds the score displays.

#3699 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

You can use the Flash Gordon head but you still need the ebd inner lamp panel board that holds the score displays.

That part is easy enough. Buddy has an 81 that I can use to make a template.

Harder part is going to be finding the missing parts to my 7 bank drop tragets.

#3700 3 years ago

How in God's name does anyone get these flush? I feel like I've been sanding forever.

Added bonus, had to fix some damage. Got a bit too aggressive with the dremel while cleaning out remnants of the one I punched out without heating (dumbass) so I had to add some filler, then one of the others pulled out a splinter while I was removing after test fitting (weird) just going to lightly sand after they're dry and repeat as needed until it's not hideous.

20210109_173829 (resized).jpg20210109_173829 (resized).jpg20210109_163549 (resized).jpg20210109_163549 (resized).jpg20210109_170855 (resized).jpg20210109_170855 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 90.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,669 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 114.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well/page/74?hl=mathazar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.