EBD (resized).jpg
IMG_2238 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,669 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 114.
#3301 3 years ago

On CPRs website they make a point to show their color accuracy of the balls compared to other brands. No mention of the white or cream color areas.

#3302 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

There has been a lot of argument about the white. Many purists believe it was originally a cream color. Like the way IPB did their repro.
CPR says no it should be white. I like the white. I haven't seen what Mirco did with that yet.

I think the original color depended upon which run of the game you had. That's why you get some people who are "sure" their original was white, and others who are "sure" their original was cream. They are probably both right.

#3304 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I think the original color depended upon which run of the game you had.

Not sure how mine was 40 years ago... but today it's soooooooo yellow

11 (resized).JPG11 (resized).JPG
#3305 3 years ago

Carefully removing the siderails and they could use a little buff-up. Gonna do a light sanding then semi-glass black from a rattle can unless the collective wisdom suggests a different route. Ideas ??

#3306 3 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

Carefully removing the siderails and they could use a little buff-up. Gonna do a light sanding then semi-glass black from a rattle can unless the collective wisdom suggests a different route. Ideas ??

If you like that look, go for it. But it may not go well with the lock down bar IMO.

#3307 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

If you like that look, go for it. But it may not go well with the lock down bar IMO.

It actually looks like a semi-gloss black right now. Was that not typical of machines off the line?

#3308 3 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

It actually looks like a semi-gloss black right now. Was that not typical of machines off the line?

No they are a low grade stainless steel with graining. When you say aide rail are you referring to the metal trim on the cabs sides where your flipper buttons are? Or the wood border trim on pf?

#3309 3 years ago
Quoted from matiou:

Not sure how mine was 40 years ago... but today it's soooooooo yellow [quoted image]

So I had an NOS EBD PF years ago that ending up going to a buddy and it was the creamy color - which I remember from back in the day as being correct, not stark white. CPR kevin has his PF stash on ebay right now and clearly the NOS example is whiter. So I think the cream on the IPB one is too creamy, but I also think the stark white on the new CPR repros' is TOO white. Wish there had been something in between.

The game plays great anyway so that's the important part. I don't really get hung up on small artwork details (or even large ones, sometimes) - if the PF is flat and plays fast, I'm good.

#3310 3 years ago

Lost my sheet with the All Tek settings. How do you put the game into free play???

#3311 3 years ago
Quoted from DigitalJB:

Lost my sheet with the All Tek settings. How do you put the game into free play???

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0071/0810/0141/files/dip_ver8.pdf?132

Latest dip switch settings right from alltek

I think they have archived manuals on the site as well so you can get an electronic copy for reference

#3312 3 years ago

Thanks!

#3313 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I think the original color depended upon which run of the game you had. That's why you get some people who are "sure" their original was white, and others who are "sure" their original was cream. They are probably both right.

I put an NOS pf in mine about 25 years ago and it's been in an extra bedroom all that time with three other pins, with the blinds closed. And on top of it I always play the games in there with no lights on. The balls seem to be the same pure white as all the other white artwork. I definitely would not call mine 'cream', still looks whitey-white-white to me.

#3314 3 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

I put an NOS pf in mine about 25 years ago and it's been in an extra bedroom all that time with three other pins, with the blinds closed. And on top of it I always play the games in there with no lights on. The balls seem to be the same pure white as all the other white artwork. I definitely would not call mine 'cream', still looks whitey-white-white to me.

Well, my playfield is the original playfield (not a replacement of any kind) and it most certainly IS cream - much more yellowish than what the pool balls are.

However, mine is the LE version - which may or may not be from a different run of playfield production. Furthermore, mine is from the early LE's (that did not have PCBs for the playfield lights, but had individual sockets for each bulb).

As I was saying before, I believe that there are some "original" fields that were white, and some "original" fields that were cream - depending upon exactly when (and perhaps by whom) the playfield was produced.

#3315 3 years ago

The original color can be seen if you remove a post.

#3316 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

No they are a low grade stainless steel with graining. When you say aide rail are you referring to the metal trim on the cabs sides where your flipper buttons are? Or the wood border trim on pf?

I meant the wooden boards that border the playfield. Sorry for the confusion..

#3317 3 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

I meant the wooden boards that border the playfield. Sorry for the confusion..

I miss read that to. My originals are black with a sheen on a 81 version.

#3318 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Many purists believe it was originally a cream color. Like the way IPB did their repro.

It was! I have two N.O.S. from the 1980's When I was doing playfield swaps for a distributor.
I have a N.O.S. Centaur from the same period and it is white.
IPB Did it correctly. I had to do a swap with one of their reproduction EBD.

#3319 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

It was! I have two N.O.S. from the 1980's When I was doing playfield swaps for a distributor.
I have a N.O.S. Centaur from the same period and it is white.
IPB Did it correctly. I had to do a swap with one of their reproduction EBD.

I tend to agree, I played the 81 EBD in arcades from my youth, 1982 to be exact. I don't remember any white on the PF.

#3320 3 years ago

Every EBD I played way back when was either in a C&W bar or an enlistedmen's club. Choked with smoke and nicotine brown.

#3321 3 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Every EBD I played way back when was either in a C&W bar or an enlistedmen's club. Choked with smoke and nicotine brown.

I used to think this was the explanation for the cream yellow tint. Certainly plausible as many/most of these machines saw smokey environs. That said, I'm tearing down my machine for a swap and just removed the wooden siderails. The color underneath is most distinctly a cream yellow and definitely not the bright white on the new CPR repro. As others have postulated, I think it's likely that both the yellow and white variants exist in the wild. For once, everybody's right...

#3322 3 years ago

Need a lovely minature version of your full sized pin at your desk? I decided to make some they can be found on my Etsy

https://www.etsy.com/your/shops/FactoryofFun/tools/listings?ref=seller-platform-mcnav

IMG_3550 (resized).jpgIMG_3550 (resized).jpgMM-1 (resized).jpgMM-1 (resized).jpg
#3323 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Need a lovely minature version of your full sized pin at your desk? I decided to make some they can be found on my Etsy
https://www.etsy.com/your/shops/FactoryofFun/tools/listings?ref=seller-platform-mcnav
[quoted image][quoted image]

Link doesn't seem to work?

#3325 3 years ago

That worked. I might be interested in an 81 EBD if you do more. Do you by chance have more pictures (primarily looking for one that shows what the pf/bg look like on it), and do you plan on doing more of those?

#3326 3 years ago

HEy KSUWildcatFan I love custom projects if you have an idea please let me know most likely I can make one.

Also I am going to start Painting the backboxes cream to be more accurate

MM (resized).jpgMM (resized).jpg
#3327 3 years ago

HEy ksuwildcatfan I love custom projects if you have an idea please let me know most likely I can make one.
Also I am going to start Painting the backboxes cream to be more accurate [quoted image]

Seen these before on Ebay. At least something similar. What are the dimensions, and how much is shipping? I'd probably be interested in a '81 with a cream backbox

#3328 3 years ago

I'd love to have one with a correct color back box. Bonus, if I could get one with jet black rails/lockbar/legs as my machine is going to be, but I realize that may be asking a bit much away from what most people would want.. Lol

#3329 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

I'd love to have one with a correct color back box. Bonus, if I could get one with jet black rails/lockbar/legs as my machine is going to be, but I realize that may be asking a bit much away from what most people would want.. Lol

He custom made the EBD-LE version for me...and it is awesome.
I now have a 3-game miniature collection that matches my real collection.
I will try to post a picture of them soon, though they look better in person than they do in the pictures.

#3330 3 years ago

Not sure about the ones on EBAY, I had seen some in the past but the detail was no where near these, and the artwork resolution was very low. These decals are SUPER crisp and printed on a high end ink jet printer. They are very Vibrant.

Yes when you order on my ETSY you can choose trim color This link should work

https://www.etsy.com/shop/factoryoffun/

Thank you so much mbeardsley

#3331 3 years ago

Not sure about the ones on EBAY, I had seen some in the past but the detail was no where near these, and the artwork resolution was very low. These decals are SUPER crisp and printed on a high end ink jet printer. They are very Vibrant.
Yes when you order on my ETSY you can choose trim color This link should work
https://www.etsy.com/shop/factoryoffun/
Thank you so much mbeardsley

When you have the '81 EBD's on the site i'll probably order one. Still curious just how big or small they are

#3332 3 years ago

They are about 1/24 scale roughly 4.5" tall
Also little confused on what"81 EBD" is? Was is a different version / special model?

#3333 3 years ago

Also little confused on what"81 EBD" is? Was is a different version / special model?

There are 3 different editions - you can look up the differences in the IPDB: https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=eight+ball+deluxe&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#762

1981 - Original Release
1982 - Limited Edition
1984 - Classic Release

I've got the '84 Classic, so I like the Black cabinet in the miniature (tho the cab sideart has a different cowboy between the '81 and '84 version).

#3334 3 years ago

[quoted image][quoted image]

They are about 1/24 scale roughly 4.5" tall

The '81 is the 2nd one you pictured with the black backbox. The 1st one pictured is the the '82 LE model.

#3335 3 years ago

Here are a couple of pictures of the mini-machines.

The first one shows the three machines (with a quarter for scale).
The second one shows them compared to the actual machines.

20200902_163948 (resized).jpg20200902_163948 (resized).jpg20200902_164147 (resized).jpg20200902_164147 (resized).jpg
#3336 3 years ago

Added Trim color to the backbox

SS-2 (resized).jpgSS-2 (resized).jpg
#3337 3 years ago

I love it. Will definitely be buying at least one at some point.

#3338 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Well, my playfield is the original playfield (not a replacement of any kind) and it most certainly IS cream - much more yellowish than what the pool balls are.

Ohhh okay, I took another look at my NOS one, and the white under the plastics is actually slightly creamy compared to pure white of the balls. Before I was only comparing the balls to the little bits of white here and there around them and my eyes didn't see the difference, oops.

118847220_799805640765703_4148065907789234650_n (resized).jpg118847220_799805640765703_4148065907789234650_n (resized).jpg
#3339 3 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Ohhh okay, I took another look at my NOS one, and the white under the plastics is actually slightly creamy compared to pure white of the balls. Before I was only comparing the balls to the little bits of white here and there around them and my eyes didn't see the difference, oops.[quoted image]

I believe that there were variations in color between the various runs of original playfields - at least between the 81, LE, and 84 versions - and maybe even within those runs as well. So, there are white "original" playfields as well as cream "original" playfields.

And then the various remake playfields were made using "original" playfields as guides, but some of those original guides were white and some were cream - giving us the strange mixture of colors in originals and replacements that we see now.

I have no proof of this, but it seems to make sense based on what various people have reported.

#3340 3 years ago

Can I ask if anyone has installed the Rottendog led displays in their game and if so what did you think? I have an LE so they would be behind the red perspex.

I have installed Xpin displays in my Grand Lizard and they are great but I don't have any experience of the Rottendog ones!

#3341 3 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Can I ask if anyone has installed the Rottendog led displays in their game and if so what did you think? I have an LE so they would be behind the red perspex.
I have installed Xpin displays in my Grand Lizard and they are great but I don't have any experience of the Rottendog ones!

I have rottendog displays in my space shuttle and I'm not a huge fan. Xpin in my high speed and I love them. Just ordered xpin for my EBD.

#3342 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I believe that there were variations in color between the various runs of original playfields

The two EBD playfields I have do have some variations...
One has better key alignments and has hidden initials in the pistol artwork.
The other has sloppy key alignments and no initials in the pistol artwork.
This second one was bought after Bally went into production of the
limited edition EBD. Both have the off white cream.
I believe Bally made three playfields with the off white cream.
1) Frontier.
2) Space Invaders.
3) Eight Ball Deluxe.

#3343 3 years ago

You guys have convinced me to go back to incandescents for the GI and the chase lights along the top of the playfield. I just think it’s a better look. I’m going to be getting a new playfield and all of the sockets will be replaced with bayonet style. I could try to save the 555s but several of them are cracked. So they’re coming out. So the question is 44s or 47s? I know the 44s are brighter and hotter but is it really an issue for home use? If you’re using 555s are they closer to 44s in brightness?

#3344 3 years ago

So, Comet 2SMD warm white is a no go? That's been one of my most commonly used GI bulbs for mid-80s games (Space Shuttle, High Speed, Taxi).. Doesn't look good on EBD?

#3345 3 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

If you’re using 555s are they closer to 44s in brightness?

Lamps:
#555 = #44
#259 = #47

#3346 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

So, Comet 2SMD warm white is a no go? That's been one of my most commonly used GI bulbs for mid-80s games (Space Shuttle, High Speed, Taxi).. Doesn't look good on EBD?

Are you using the frosted or clear? I actually have the Comet 1SMD warm white frosted in the GI now. Not quite as bright as the 2SMD but I do like it. But I might like the incandescent glow a little better. I don’t know. I can’t decide!! It’s an endless debate.

#3347 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Lamps:
#555 = #44
#259 = #47

Thanks vec-tor.

#3348 3 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Are you using the frosted or clear? I actually have the Comet 1SMD warm white frosted in the GI now. Not quite as bright as the 2SMD but I do like it. But I might like the incandescent glow a little better. I don’t know. I can’t decide!! It’s an endless debate.

Frosted, always. Definitely not clear for GI, but I use frosted everywhere. 2SMD warm frosted are my favorite GI bulb. Sunlight is cool too but imo it's too much most of the time, at least for the kind of games I like.

IMG_20200323_124607 (resized).jpgIMG_20200323_124607 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200803_140023 (resized).jpgIMG_20200803_140023 (resized).jpgIMG_20200813_183253 (resized).jpgIMG_20200813_183253 (resized).jpg
#3349 3 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

So the question is 44s or 47s? I know the 44s are brighter and hotter but is it really an issue for home use?

I started with 47s thinking I'll be saving my plastics but ultimately went to 44s because the 47s did seem too dim to me. And the more I thought about it, the more I convinced myself that 44s are no issue for home use....my pins aren't on 24/7 and by the time any appreciable burn marks do become noticeable I'll be dead and buried and it'll be the recipient of my estates problem.

#3350 3 years ago

Does anyone in here have an extra Backbox for an EBD Limited edition? Or an extra standard EBD backbox? I have a mostly complete lower half of an EBD LE I’d like to make whole again. Let me know if you have something. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

There are 5,669 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 114.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well/page/67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.