EBD (resized).jpg
IMG_2238 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,673 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 114.
#2401 4 years ago

That backglass on Marco's looks like the '81 version and your machine is the '81 version. One good indicator of that is the silver lift bar on the bottom of your installed backglass in your pix....1981 models lift out. The '84 EBD door swings open with the backglass installed and it slides out once the door is open (nice design, IMO, and convenient for quick backbox maintenance).

The dimensions of the 1984 EBD backglass are different and thus much harder to find. I also sent the dimensions of my '84 backglass to CPR last year to aid in their reproduction efforts. Fortunately I don't need one...my original is about a 9 out of 10.

#2402 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

That backglass on Marco's looks like the '81 version and your machine is the '81 version. One good indicator of that is the silver lift bar on the bottom of your installed backglass in your pix....1981 models lift out. The '84 EBD door swings open with the backglass installed and it slides out once the door is open (nice design, IMO, and convenient for quick backbox maintenance).
The dimensions of the 1984 EBD backglass are different and thus much harder to find. I also sent the dimensions of my '84 backglass to CPR last year to aid in their reproduction efforts. Fortunately I don't need one...my original is about a 9 out of 10.

Ahhh I missed the 84 part. My bad!

#2403 4 years ago

Almost bought a repro but I can't deal with the marks on the ball being blue. I just can't do it.

#2404 4 years ago
Quoted from LargemouthAss:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/G-440-15
I bought one and it is perfect![quoted image][quoted image]

yes it those look very good ...but you have a 1981 ebd !!...not a 1984

#2405 4 years ago

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/G-440-15
I bought one and it is perfect![quoted image][quoted image]

yes it those look very good ...but you have a 1981 ebd !!...not a 1984

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I gave the measurements of my trashed one to CPR some time ago and they say it will come out eventually. Meanwhile I have one I made myself.

let me know if it come s out...i have a way to see things only when they re sold out...lol

#2406 4 years ago

Can’t wait! Think I might replace inserts as well

D297576E-4159-42E8-8C3A-3779DDE7026C (resized).pngD297576E-4159-42E8-8C3A-3779DDE7026C (resized).png
#2407 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Can’t wait! Think I might replace inserts as well[quoted image]

Ooh lah lah!

#2408 4 years ago

Hi All! Outside Edge here to let you all know that we released the EBD Hardtop today. It is open for ordering... www.outsideedgeproducts.com

We will start shipping the first batch in about 10 days.

Happy restoring!

#2409 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hi All! Outside Edge here to let you all know that we released the EBD Hardtop today. It is open for ordering... www.outsideedgeproducts.com
We will start shipping the first batch in about 10 days.
Happy restoring!

Ordered! Can't wait to start the restoration!

Now if you could get on pinbot and F-14 it would be great.

#2410 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Can’t wait! Think I might replace inserts as well[quoted image]

Thanks for posting! Ordered mine just now!

#2411 4 years ago
Quoted from Apex:

Ordered! Can't wait to start the restoration!
Now if you could get on pinbot and F-14 it would be great.

F-14: not in the cards for now. I hear playfields are available now, or soon?

Pinbot: hmmm That would be nice

#2412 4 years ago

I’ll be ordering one soonish. Do you print them on demand or would I need to worry about getting on a list for the next production run

#2413 4 years ago

I recently replaced my lamp driver board with the Alltek Ultimate LED/Lamp driver board as the old board would not light several bulbs. After installing the board all the lights work (I am using lamps not LEDs) and the solenoid expander board was vibrating in attract mode. When a game is played the vibration stops. I read up on the solenoid expander board and saw that the vibration may be caused by the connected bulb burning out so I replaced the bulb and the vibration stops. Unfortunately now the DELUXE lights, corner pocket lights, and bank shots lghts stopped working and the left orbit lights are either all on or all off. I checked them in test mode and nothing changed. I tried the old bulb on the solenoid expander board and the vibration returned but the lights did not. I played two more games and all of a sudden my right flipper is machine gunning.

Is it possible the lamps and flipper are related or are these issues unrelated? Any ideas on what to check first? I am also running an Alltek MPU and Alltek Solenoid Driver board.

#2414 4 years ago

What do you mean the SEB is vibrating? Like the relay is locking on? I believe it's controlled by the lamp driver.

Dumb question, but are you sure all your connectors are lined up correctly?

#2415 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

What do you mean the SEB is vibrating? Like the relay is locking on?

It would buzz intermittently, about every 8-10 seconds. It was pretty loud.
I am positive they are all lined up correctly although I am not positive that the connectors are all in great shape.

#2416 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Thanks for posting! Ordered mine just now!

Anybody receiver their hard top yet? Mine is supposed to be delivered this Monday.

#2417 4 years ago

Funny you should ask. Mine JUST arrived. Can't wait to screw up another one of these installs

#2419 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Funny you should ask. Mine JUST arrived. Can't wait to screw up another one of these installs

Practice makes perfect!

#2420 4 years ago

Anxious to hear the first batch of installation reports and comments on fit/alignment, difficulties encountered (if any), workarounds implemented (if any), etc!

I'm almost done with my Black Jack project and will be purchasing an EBD hardtop after the holidays. Will probably get to the EBD install around February.

#2421 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Practice makes perfect!

I just need to not butcher the shooter lane on this one. I don't anticipate any issues from the hardtop itself!

#2422 4 years ago

I have a candidate...

IMG_20191222_180254 (resized).jpgIMG_20191222_180254 (resized).jpg
#2423 4 years ago

Can anyone help me diagnose a new problem on my 1981 EBD? I have an Alltek MPU board and the game is set to free play. Game boots up properly, sound is on, lights are all on, press the start button and nothing happens. Checked the leaf switch behind the button and everything is making proper contact. No idea what to try next. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2424 4 years ago

No idea what to try next

Did you check the under playfield fuse?

Does the outhole switch close with a ball in it?

Double check all connectors in the head, not just the Alltek, all boards.

#2425 4 years ago

No idea what to try next. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Does the EBD go into Self Test ok and pass the solenoid and switch tests? Is this a problem that just started after working for some time or is this a newly install Alltek board?

#2426 4 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Did you check the under playfield fuse?
Does the outhole switch close with a ball in it?
Double check all connectors in the head, not just the Alltek, all boards.

Under playfield fuse is good. I will check the outhole switch and the connectors.

#2427 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Does the EBD go into Self Test ok and pass the solenoid and switch tests? Is this a problem that just started after working for some time or is this a newly install Alltek board?

Alltek board was installed about 3 weeks ago and has been working well. I will try to solenoid and switch tests. The problem began yesterday after the machine had been working great after I replaced the right flipper coil (it was machinegunning). Had many family members over the last week and the game saw a lot of use and all was well until I turned it on yesterday and could not start a game.

#2428 4 years ago

OK now when I turn it on I get all the lights but no sound. Solenoid test appeared to work perfectly. Still cannot start a game.
Re-seated all connectors and still nothing. Outhole switch is working. Sound board was re-capped and repaired 3 weeks ago by a professional.

#2429 4 years ago

OK now when I turn it on I get all the lights but no sound.

Re-flow header pins on Solenoid Driver board? Losing sound when you had it before sounds (haha) like cold solder joints.

By "all the lights", do you mean G.I. and feature lights too?

Does the game reset the drop targets when you start a game?

Do the displays go into attract mode at power up?

Power Supply/Rectifier board: check fuses. Check voltage levels at Test Points 1, 2, 3 & 5. With a lot of play, you may have blown a bridge, especially if there were any little kids going flipflipflipflip.

#2430 4 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Re-flow header pins on Solenoid Driver board? Losing sound when you had it before sounds (haha) like cold solder joints.
By "all the lights", do you mean G.I. and feature lights too?
Does the game reset the drop targets when you start a game?
Do the displays go into attract mode at power up?
Power Supply/Rectifier board: check fuses. Check voltage levels at Test Points 1, 2, 3 & 5. With a lot of play, you may have blown a bridge, especially if there were any little kids going flipflipflipflip.

Solenoid Driver board is a new Alltek installed 3 weeks ago. I get all GI and feature lights, displays go into attract mode, and drop targets reset on power up.

#2431 4 years ago

This is probably a long shot. But have you checked the tilt mechanisms including the ball in the roller tilt. It just seems that if the game is firing up on the boards but won't start a game at the game start button. It may be tilting right away.

#2432 4 years ago
Quoted from Waderade812:

This is probably a long shot. But have you checked the tilt mechanisms including the ball in the roller tilt. It just seems that if the game is firing up on the boards but won't start a game at the game start button. It may be tilting right away.

Just checked the tilt mech and roller tilt. No change.

#2433 4 years ago

Just checked the tilt mech and roller tilt. No change.

Clip one lead of all the capacitors related to the tilt mechs, you have 1 under the PF, 3 on the tilt board inside the cab and slam switch inside coin door. Shorted caps can cause all kinds of problems. Solder them back together if no change. I know you said the credit switch is working but double check that the leaf switch is not touching the coin door when pressed. This happens when the fish paper insulator wears , could just be a tiny pinhole but enough to cause a short.

Other things to try: Do a memory clear on the Alltek MPU per instructions. Since you are on free play, make sure the credit counting feature is turned off per Alltek instructions. Disconnect Squawk and Talk board and see if you can start a game. Once I had a Xenon with an early version Alltek SDU board and the sound would not work or sometimes would be distorted. I discovered that the output voltage to the sound board from the Alltek was just a little too high and when going back to the original SDU the problem went away.

#2434 4 years ago

Turned out there was a loose wire on the roller tilt. Working great now!

#2435 4 years ago

Turned out there was a loose wire on the roller tilt. Working great now!

#2436 4 years ago

I have a problem with my #8 target under the plastic on the top right of the playfield. It sometimes falls without being hit probably from the vibration the bumpers are causing. Is that a known issue?
When I got the pin the target had this thin green rubberband attached to the target. I thought this was an ugly and unnecessary hack, maybe only there because the spring was worn out. But even with a brand new spring the target keeps falling without being hit.

WP_000090 (resized).jpgWP_000090 (resized).jpg

#2437 4 years ago

This is a common problem. I usually add a second spring and attach it to one of the other holes in the side plate.
The spring needs more of angle to seat the tether firmly.

#2438 4 years ago

Hey Guys, I have an 81 EBD looking to touch up back glass surround and some of the side art. Anyone have the formula or a paint brand/color code for the Cream/Custard and Golden Yellow

#2439 4 years ago
Quoted from ranman2001:

Hey Guys, I have an 81 EBD looking to touch up back glass surround and some of the side art. Anyone have the formula or a paint brand/color code for the Cream/Custard and Golden Yellow

I think i have the code somewhere. I've touched up my backbox on both my EBDs. I'll look this weekend if I have time. Matched pretty much perfectly

#2440 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

The snowflake is often referred to as the star rollover. You don't need to change the rollover usually only the star part unless the star is popping out. It is held in place by a small nub where it pushes on the leaf switch and also by the prongs under the orange part of the insert. If the nub on the star is worn, you can replace only that part without having to remove the insert.
The usual cause for the switch to be intermittent is poor adjustment of the leaf blades or bad capacitor. This switch needs to be adjusted fairly close due to the speed that the ball runs over it but not too close as vibration from the pop bumpers or drop targets may activate it. Clean switch contacts with rubbing alcohol and something soft like a qtip or cotton ball.

I have this same problem. I’ve adjusted this switch many times but can’t get it perfect. Does anyone sell a replacement switch?

#2441 4 years ago
Quoted from ranman2001:

Found it. Had Sherwin Williams mix it up and turned out great. I always use them because they match it about perfectly.

ebd paint (resized).jpgebd paint (resized).jpg
#2442 4 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Found it. Had Sherwin Williams mix it up and turned out great. I always use them because they match it about perfectly.[quoted image]

Thanks!

#2443 4 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

I have a problem with my #8 target under the plastic on the top right of the playfield. It sometimes falls without being hit probably from the vibration the bumpers are causing. Is that a known issue?
When I got the pin the target had this thin green rubberband attached to the target. I thought this was an ugly and unnecessary hack, maybe only there because the spring was worn out. But even with a brand new spring the target keeps falling without being hit.
[quoted image]

You might have to realign the D/T assembly to the playfield.
I have found that the single D/T does not completely reset on the metal frame.
( the playfield edge pushes the target slightly back )
Thus, it drops from the vibration that is going on from all the ball hits.

#2444 4 years ago

I have a question: I have one of those alltek boards on an EBD LE. It is currently set to 5 ball and I want to change it to 3 ball. Having looked at settings in the manual, it says to change the 31 and32 switch to off. I have done this several times, but it never actually accepts the changes. It just stays on 5 ball. Any suggestions?

#2445 4 years ago
Quoted from Habermania:

I have a question: I have one of those alltek boards on an EBD LE. It is currently set to 5 ball and I want to change it to 3 ball. Having looked at settings in the manual, it says to change the 31 and32 switch to off. I have done this several times, but it never actually accepts the changes. It just stays on 5 ball. Any suggestions?

Did you power cycle the game? It only reads the dip switches on start up.

#2446 4 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Did you power cycle the game? It only reads the dip switches on start up.

Yes i did. Would there be a malfunction on the board that would cause the board not to be reading changes to settings?

#2447 4 years ago
Quoted from Habermania:

Yes i did. Would there be a malfunction on the board that would cause the board not to be reading changes to settings?

A couple of times over the last two years, my Alltek would sometimes not recognize a switch setting change. Doing the "MEMORY CLEAR" function (check your Alltek manual) would fix that for me. Some transient bit I suspect.

#2448 4 years ago

Looks like I am shopping this for a friend and troubleshooting a few things...Have never had one so I will be blind on a few things...here are the few issues it has. Any help would be great.

1) Credit button goes to 40 which looks normal in manual. When you press a game it goes to 28. Normal? Is there a free play setting?
2) When you are playing the game will randomly award a free game or sometimes the score looks like it jumps around. Any ideas? I think I even the knocker when it awards a game randomly

3) On the squawk and talk board the green led light comes off and on and I found that touching the connector at the bottom causes it. Guessing the led is power and I should look at reflowing pin headers or checking connector?

Anything else I should check for would be helpful

Thx!

#2449 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Looks like I am shopping this for a friend and troubleshooting a few things...Have never had one so I will be blind on a few things...here are the few issues it has. Any help would be great.
1) Credit button goes to 40 which looks normal in manual. When you press a game it goes to 28. Normal? Is there a free play setting?
2) When you are playing the game will randomly award a free game or sometimes the score looks like it jumps around. Any ideas? I think I even the knocker when it awards a game randomly
3) On the squawk and talk board the green led light comes off and on and I found that touching the connector at the bottom causes it. Guessing the led is power and I should look at reflowing pin headers or checking connector?
Anything else I should check for would be helpful
Thx!

1. Does it drop 14 credits for each game you play? Check the pricing settings if true. Otherwise very odd behaviour. Bally original machines are famous for not having a free play mode. Some people set the first score reward very low so you would almost always get a credit while playing.
2. Any Specials (Usually a red lit insert on a Bally) that are scored can be set to add a credit, free ball, or just points. Specials when obtained usually have the knocker go off.
3. Very common to need to reflow pins, but also many board ground through their mounts as well and that may be corroded.

#2450 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

A couple of times over the last two years, my Alltek would sometimes not recognize a switch setting change. Doing the "MEMORY CLEAR" function (check your Alltek manual) would fix that for me. Some transient bit I suspect.

I had an instance with my Mata Hari where the Alltek board didn't recognize the dip switch change. I was advised by Quench to flip the dip switch back and forth several times to "clean" the dip switch. Then, after a power cycle the game recognized the change. In my case it was an older Alltek board but if the memory clear doesn't work, try the switch flipping trick.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 90.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bloomsburg, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,673 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 114.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well/page/49?hl=thegeekyhusband and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.