Topic Stats

• 2,388 posts
  • 271 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by KSUWildcatFan
  • Topic is favorited by 120 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 821 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

010 (resized).JPG
1572191570205240149702 (resized).jpg
1572191474649-1489321371 (resized).jpg
16847272469173216103 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20191008-070503 (resized).jpg
72648105-70A6-480A-87AC-4B9CEA66E0C1 (resized).jpeg
23AEF1E3-0BA9-4B29-8C77-B015A32190AB (resized).jpeg
2B464BD1-DBF9-42E2-9BE1-631D98F0F75D (resized).jpeg
IMG_2157 (resized).jpg
IMG_2155 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190904-194724 (resized).jpg
Ring.jpg
IMG_5079 (resized).JPG
IMG_5081 (resized).JPG
EBD Rollover Button (resized).jpg
EBD-Instructions (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2388 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 48.
#2351 54 days ago
Quoted from iluvak9:

I had the game in lamp test mode with all lights flashing and was reviewing the manual to find the wire and connector that ran the light that was not working. Was about five feet from the machine when I heard a strange noise and saw lamps were no longer flashing and game had frozen with just GI lights on. Turned the game off and on again and saw that the MPU flashes stopped after four or five. Since I was not near the game, I don’t think I did anything to cause this to happen. I will contact the person I bought the board from. I also have a backup original MPU and I am going to put that in the game this weekend or sooner. If that corrects the startup problem then it seems like that would confirm the new MPU board that I bought was the problem.

Check the +43 volt on the power supply board in the cabinet, I believe you will find fuse F-4 blown a 5 amp fuse. It may be a coil somewhere on the playfield or the coin door. Check your coil resistance on all playfield coils and coin door. I believe you will find a short on one of them. Anything less than 2.5ohms is a bad coil.

#2352 54 days ago
Quoted from Waderade812:

Check the +43 volt on the power supply board in the cabinet, I believe you will find fuse F-4 blown a 5 amp fuse. It may be a coil somewhere on the playfield or the coin door. Check your coil resistance on all playfield coils and coin door. I believe you will find a short on one of them. Anything less than 2.5ohms is a bad coil.

Should still get 6 flashes with blown F4 though. He's only getting 4 or 5?

#2353 53 days ago
Quoted from Waderade812:

I checked all of the fuses and they were all good. Seems strange that a coil that was working would all of a sudden be shorted when the game is only in lamp test mode and has been in lamp test mode for a minute or so and there is no other activity that is going on (not working on game, not moving game at all, just game running in lamp test mode). Plus, wouldn't most bad coils just cause failure of that particular coil to work or blowing of a fuse. What bad or shorted coils would cause the game to fail to make it past 4 or five flashes in the MPU?

#2354 53 days ago

Isn't it a repo board? Could be more complicated than it first appears.

On an unrelated game, I had an issue with a power supply. I replaced it with a reproduction. It sparked and smoked within a few minutes. Turns out the sound card, which worked fine with the original power supply, was out of tolerance just enough to damage the redesigned reproduction power supply. Sound card still worked with original power supply even after that. Had to replace the replacement power supply and service the sound card before they would all play together without catching on fire.

#2355 53 days ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Some more custom cards by Mr_Tantrum. He customized the text for me. Great job. Thanks.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those look really nice installed. Thanks for the love.

#2356 53 days ago
Quoted from iluvak9:

Seems strange that a coil that was working would all of a sudden be shorted when the game is only in lamp test mode and has been in lamp test mode for a minute or so and there is no other activity that is going on (not working on game, not moving game at all, just game running in lamp test mode).

That is the joy of old solid state games. It's always something...
As I always say:
Semiconductors, sometimes they conduct, sometimes they don't.

#2357 51 days ago

Left Lane Rollover not working. Will score with a light rollover, will not score every time. Found snowflake falling apart so ordered and changed. Still no go, ordered actual insert assembly. Any advice on how to change insert? Also, switch is old but looks like it can be cleaned. Is there supposed to be a piece of white plastic on actually switch assembly for snowflake to hit?

Thanks!

#2358 51 days ago
Quoted from DigitalJB:

Left Lane Rollover not working. Will score with a light rollover, will not score every time. Found snowflake falling apart so ordered and changed. Still no go, ordered actual insert assembly. Any advice on how to change insert? Also, switch is old but looks like it can be cleaned. Is there supposed to be a piece of white plastic on actually switch assembly for snowflake to hit?
Thanks!

The snowflake is often referred to as the star rollover. You don't need to change the rollover usually only the star part unless the star is popping out. It is held in place by a small nub where it pushes on the leaf switch and also by the prongs under the orange part of the insert. If the nub on the star is worn, you can replace only that part without having to remove the insert.
The usual cause for the switch to be intermittent is poor adjustment of the leaf blades or bad capacitor. This switch needs to be adjusted fairly close due to the speed that the ball runs over it but not too close as vibration from the pop bumpers or drop targets may activate it. Clean switch contacts with rubbing alcohol and something soft like a qtip or cotton ball.

#2359 51 days ago

Thanks for the info as always!

#2360 51 days ago

What part number would that capacitor be as I been having the same trouble sometimes?

#2361 50 days ago
Quoted from firefighter:

What part number would that capacitor be as I been having the same trouble sometimes?

The original capacitor is a .05 micro farad. 10V rating I think should be fine as the switch voltage is 5V I think. The .05mfd is hard to come by so use a .047mfd.

#2362 49 days ago

I’ll try to find one , thanks!

#2363 46 days ago

Looking for help troubleshooting my EBD PF swap.

Issues is insert lights balls 1-15 are dim,
Also deluxe lights are also dim
I believe voltage is ac correct?
Measuring 2.2 VAC, when measuring voltage across lamp

Thoughts?

#2364 46 days ago

Insert lamps are DC.

#2365 46 days ago

Look for 6-8 volts

#2366 46 days ago

Ac Only GI correct?

So DC on all insert lamps?

#2367 46 days ago

Yes

#2368 41 days ago

Hardtops are coming, boys! My ugly EBD needs it!

I've deferred on doing any shopping whatsoever in hopes of getting a hardtop (unsurprisingly it plays like crap as is) so I'm stoked for this.

16847272469173216103 (resized).JPGScreenshot_20191008-070503 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2369 28 days ago
Quoted from DigitalJB:

Thanks!

I had a very similar issue and John Mohr actually came by and replaced the capacitor which had been snipped off (Thanks John!). The capacitor apparently allows the CPU to have a split second longer to recognize that the star rollover has been actuated. Apparently this is the culprit in almost all of the cases. Good luck.

#2370 28 days ago

Hello folks sure glad to hear hardtop is going to put together the Eight Ball deluxe hard topper I'm definitely getting one of those. I've been stumped on this one now I have an issue with ball trought coil game comes on everything works but the ball trough coil does not kick hard enough to make the ball all the way over to Shooter Lane I've replaced the coil replaced of mechanism it just twitches whenever it should be firing I went to test mode and I noticed during test mode it does the same twitch but I see that one of the drop targets may be more are also twitching If eneyone else delt with this issue I could use some help .

Thanks James

#2371 28 days ago
Quoted from trimoto:

Hello folks sure glad to hear hardtop is going to put together the Eight Ball deluxe hard topper I'm definitely getting one of those. I've been stumped on this one now I have an issue with ball trought coil game comes on everything works but the ball trough coil does not kick hard enough to make the ball all the way over to Shooter Lane I've replaced the coil replaced of mechanism it just twitches whenever it should be firing I went to test mode and I noticed during test mode it does the same twitch but I see that one of the drop targets may be more are also twitching If eneyone else delt with this issue I could use some help .
Thanks James

First verify that you have 43V at the outhole coil (trough). Is this a new issue or did you get the game in this state? I ask because the wrong type of coil may have been installed at the outhole. Should be a 3 lug coil there. Also which drop targets are moving when you test the coils with outhole coil. It's seams like there could be a problem at the solenoid driver board. Make sure the lamp under the PF is working when the SEB clicks. The SEB controls the outhole, saucer, 7 drop target reset, 4 target inline DT bank reset, the 1-9 ball DT memory coil and the 2-10 ball DT memory coil. 6 circuits in all, 3 on each side of the relay on the SEB. Check the SEB header pins for cold solder joints, re-seat the connector. When putting game in self test, 1st push of the red button, the SEB should click loudly in synch with the PF lamps flashing.

#2372 22 days ago

Ok I need help finding this .047 mfd capacitor you talk about as there is so many to choose from, and a picture would be helpful also.
Thanks.

#2373 22 days ago
Quoted from firefighter:

Ok I need help finding this .047 mfd capacitor you talk about as there is so many to choose from, and a picture would be helpful also.
Thanks.

I've got a bunch. PM me your shipping info and I'll send you some.

#2374 22 days ago

My ebd limited edition boots up and sounds work. I have all voltages. The displays don't work and the switch illuminated lights don't work. Put extra gnd on mpu and lamp boards. Still nothing. Tried an alteck board and it does the same. Tried putting displays in other games and they work fine. Help

1572191570205240149702 (resized).jpg1572191474649-1489321371 (resized).jpg
#2375 21 days ago

The displays on my LE were very flakey. Repinning the connector fixed it.

#2376 19 days ago
Quoted from srose007:

I had a very similar issue and John Mohr actually came by and replaced the capacitor which had been snipped off (Thanks John!). The capacitor apparently allows the CPU to have a split second longer to recognize that the star rollover has been actuated. Apparently this is the culprit in almost all of the cases. Good luck.

Thanks for the follow up on the Capacitor, just read your post today

#2377 19 days ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I've got a bunch. PM me your shipping info and I'll send you some.

Could I grab on of those caps as well ?????

#2378 18 days ago
Quoted from DigitalJB:

Could I grab on of those caps as well ?????

Sure thing. PM me your shipping info.

#2379 18 days ago

I just put up a playfield for sale, if anyone is interested.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-ebd-repro-playfield-cpr-gold

#2380 18 days ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

First verify that you have 43V at the outhole coil (trough). Is this a new issue or did you get the game in this state? I ask because the wrong type of coil may have been installed at the outhole. Should be a 3 lug coil there. Also which drop targets are moving when you test the coils with outhole coil. It's seams like there could be a problem at the solenoid driver board. Make sure the lamp under the PF is working when the SEB clicks. The SEB controls the outhole, saucer, 7 drop target reset, 4 target inline DT bank reset, the 1-9 ball DT memory coil and the 2-10 ball DT memory coil. 6 circuits in all, 3 on each side of the relay on the SEB. Check the SEB header pins for cold solder joints, re-seat the connector. When putting game in self test, 1st push of the red button, the SEB should click loudly in synch with the PF lamps flashing.

This is a new issue, it seem to be the right coil , I have to look into the SEB . I'll post my progress thanks

#2381 17 days ago

Does the coil fire correctly if you manually ground the coil lug?

I had a similar issue where I was getting inconsistent kickouts from the outhole when I first picked up my game. But honestly, it just stopped? I serviced a ton of other things, but the problem seemingly went away on its own or servicing something else made the difference. Definitely check out your SEB, make sure that there is an incandescent bulb in the circuit, and figure out if this is an electrical problem or a mechanical problem.

#2382 13 days ago

Selling a CPR Eight Ball Deluxe gold playfield, 925. Not looking to ship so p/u only please, central Long Island.

#2383 13 days ago
Quoted from firefighter:

Thanks.

Ceramic disc capacitor, 25v, EZ-PZ to find. https://www.jameco.com/z/DC-047-Capacitor-Ceramic-Disc-0-047-micro-F-47nF-50V-plusmn-20-_15253.html

#2384 13 days ago
Quoted from dabomb1:

My ebd limited edition boots up and sounds work. I have all voltages. The displays don't work and the switch illuminated lights don't work.

Sounds like a bad cable. Do you measure 190v at the displays? What about the switched illumination bus at the playfield or backbox insert.
EBDLE is notorious for cable problems in the backbox behind the display insert. I would start there?

#2385 8 days ago

Thanks for the info BigAL! Bryan_Kelly did send me a hand full and have install one on the rollover switch.

#2386 7 days ago

If anyone is thinking of selling or knows of an Eight Ball Deluxe I'm interested! Thank you.

#2387 4 days ago

Looking to track down light boards for my 8BD, does anyone know where I can track these down? Finally secured my CPR Play Field and want to get all the parts necessary before the transformation begins.

010 (resized).JPG
#2388 4 days ago
Quoted from DigitalJB:

Looking to track down light boards for my 8BD, does anyone know where I can track these down? Finally secured my CPR Play Field and want to get all the parts necessary before the transformation begins.[quoted image]

Oooh, those are spiffy

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 149.00
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
There are 2388 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 48.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside