IMG_2238 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error2.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,666 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 114.
#1901 5 years ago

I think there are two suppliers who made these replacements.

I had bought a set when I got the game and these broke off as well. Exactly like described above.

During my restoration last year I bought another set from another supplier. These are perfect and don't break.

#1902 5 years ago
Quoted from g94:

I think there are two suppliers who made these replacements.
I had bought a set when I got the game and these broke off as well. Exactly like described above.
During my restoration last year I bought another set from another supplier. These are perfect and don't break.

I need to buy a set too. I bought all the other parts for my future restoration. I noticed some of the caps sold have screw holes in them. Is this original or are they just screening the graphics on some generic ones that had screw holes already?

6490B2A6-BD61-4F66-8709-E4A216EFE339 (resized).png6490B2A6-BD61-4F66-8709-E4A216EFE339 (resized).png
#1903 5 years ago

I don't know who the manufacturers are, but I bought the first set (which broke very fast) at ministry of pinball http://bit.ly/2Ps40en.
It didn't have screw holes though.

The second set (very well printed and they didn't break so far after a year) can be bought here: http://bit.ly/2PvMcz0

#1904 5 years ago

I bought mine from Steve at www.PBResource.com.

Shawn

#1905 5 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

I need to buy a set too. I bought all the other parts for my future restoration. I noticed some of the caps sold have screw holes in them. Is this original or are they just screening the graphics on some generic ones that had screw holes already?[quoted image]

One of the little "issues" Eight Ball Deluxe and the other Ballys that used these snap-on style caps and trim rings in the early 80s had was that the center caps had a tendency to fall off. It was all too common really. I remember playing more than one EBD back in the early 80s and having one of the caps fall off during a game.

You would see pins on location with them glued or taped on and just about every other rig you can think of because the tabs would break and they would fall off. The tabs on the white bases would break off and bend over time too.

A couple years later we started seeing these caps with the screw holes. They are ugly as hell with the screws installed but it solves the problem. All the tabs can be broke off then.

The real cure is to replace all three parts (the white base, amber trim ring & center cap) and then they will snap together tight and not fall off under normal home use. I don't use the caps with the holes. They aren't as nice looking. You can get them without the holes if you want.

#1906 5 years ago
Quoted from g94:

I don't know who the manufacturers are, but I bought the first set (which broke very fast) at ministry of pinball http://bit.ly/2Ps40en.
It didn't have screw holes though.
The second set (very well printed and they didn't break so far after a year) can be bought here: http://bit.ly/2PvMcz0

Anyone overseas making the white EBD caps? Many of us here in the US are in need, but thus far PBR and PPS have come up dry. PPS says they're going to make 'em but alas nothing yet.

Perhaps this would be an OK forum to poll how many people would buy a set of white caps and rings. Steve Young swears there is no market for em. I tend to think differently. If I happen to be right, maybe the poll results would help move him along. Just as an aside, the only other game with white caps was Grand Slam. I've even toyed with the idea of having the white caps 3D printed and then put a decal on them. Doubt that it would look right though.

Anyone have extra white caps or rings? Drop me a PM if you would be willing to part with them.

Just for those of you keeping score at home, EBD white version were the only hot-stamped ring in addition to the cap. Probably why they changed it.....

John

#1907 5 years ago

Count me in for a set of white caps John.

#1908 5 years ago

I have 3 more EBD's in cue to restore, I would love to see white caps reproduced. I would like to make a game with the white caps and red posts like the 81 flyer shows. Speaking of bumpers, has anyone seen any new pop bumper bases for sale that are actually white? I might send a sample to Shapeways once I get settled in my new place.

1 week later
#1909 5 years ago

I want to do some touch-up on my EBD-LE cabinet. It's in pretty good shape but has a few bumps and bruises that could be improved upon.

Does anyone know what the colors for the Limited Edition cabinet are?

I don't need it perfect, but hopefully something that I can get at HomeDepot/Lowes that is a reasonably close match to the black, red, and gold.

Thanks.

#1910 5 years ago

What do you all think a "nice" EBD '81 is worth? Just a ballpark figure.

Thanks.

-Ned

#1911 5 years ago
Quoted from chill:

What do you all think a "nice" EBD '81 is worth? Just a ballpark figure.
Thanks.
-Ned

$2600 to $8000

#1912 5 years ago
Quoted from Patentlaw:

Pop bumper caps keep coming off. The tabs keep breaking. As you know, the EBD pop bumper tops are hard to find and cost a ton compared to others. Anyone else have this issue and have a solution?

Note: EBD OEM caps where frosted tops... Later productions where done with a starburst pattern.
---- Then, starburst with through holes...Also, a service bulletin to add a plastic snap-rings to the
---- collars to keep the caps from turning...
---- Nothing really worked, until Strange Science came into production.
---- To fix EBD caps, you need to drill or buy new style thumper bumper bodies
---- with the two small holes were the ring and rod glides are.
---- Two small screws 5/40 for each cap.
---- Drill two small holes through top of each cap and add the screws to mount
---- through the caps and into the top of the small holes in the thump bumper bodies.
---- Yes, it is a pain to align the holes for the screws.
---- Each EBD caps are aligned in a different position... so you have to go through
---- the top of each cap... Also, Black screws disappear against the black stampings.

#1913 5 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I want to do some touch-up on my EBD-LE cabinet. It's in pretty good shape but has a few bumps and bruises that could be improved upon.
Does anyone know what the colors for the Limited Edition cabinet are?
I don't need it perfect, but hopefully something that I can get at HomeDepot/Lowes that is a reasonably close match to the black, red, and gold.
Thanks.

I think the gold is the same as the 81 cab. Also used on FG...

#1914 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

$2600 to $8000

What do you think an original 84 would go for?

#1915 5 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Note: EBD OEM caps where frosted tops... Later productions where done with a starburst pattern.
---- Then, starburst with through holes...Also, a service bulletin to add a plastic snap-rings to the
---- collars to keep the caps from turning...
---- Nothing really worked, until Strange Science came into production.
---- To fix EBD caps, you need to drill or buy new style thumper bumper bodies
---- with the two small holes were the ring and rod glides are.
---- Two small screws 5/40 for each cap.
---- Drill two small holes through top of each cap and add the screws to mount
---- through the caps and into the top of the small holes in the thump bumper bodies.
---- Yes, it is a pain to align the holes for the screws.
---- Each EBD caps are aligned in a different position... so you have to go through
---- the top of each cap... Also, Black screws disappear against the black stampings.

Many thanks for providing all of this.

1 month later
#1916 5 years ago

Does anyone know where I might find a reproduction Bally power supply warning decal ?You know, the yellow sticker that goes on the power supply board believe it has red lettering. Thanks in advance

#1917 5 years ago

If you replace the pop caps,trim rings, and the bases with new then the caps aren't nearly as prone to falling off.

The caps with the screw holes were a stop-gap measure by Bally for machines in the field.

I would never use the ugly screw-on caps for a non-routed machine in a home environment. Not necessary.

#1918 5 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Does anyone know where I might find a reproduction Bally power supply warning decal ?You know, the yellow sticker that goes on the power supply board believe it has red lettering. Thanks in advance

Bump, anyone?

#1919 5 years ago

I have them. In fact, I have reproduction cards and warning labels for entire EBD, Xenon, FG, Star Trek and F2K pins. I sell sets or singles. PM me.

#1922 5 years ago

I have an early production ebd with original white bumpercaps
waiting on a hardtop overlay

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#1923 5 years ago

I'm jealous! I want those caps lol. I have white rings but haven't found the caps yet. What is the cab serial number? I have 1376, cab only and doing a new restore this year.

#1924 5 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

scroll to top to see pics

Thanks 2k, Found the file on Inkonito's site and printed my own.

#1925 5 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Thanks 2k, Found the file on Inkonito's site and printed my own.

Oh yeah I forgot about him. Anyway, I have the yellow stickers already done if you need one. Perfect match.

#1926 5 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I'm jealous! I want those caps lol. I have white rings but haven't found the caps yet. What is the cab serial number? I have 1376, cab only and doing a new restore this year.

Serial number is 1046

#1927 5 years ago
Quoted from Vreuls:

Serial number is 1046

Cool. I think they started at 1000 so you have #46

#1928 5 years ago

EED 1007 myself. Lowest S/N known to exist. Plastic playfield game as well. As you can see in my avatar I have the proto "Blue Display" EBD so if someone is looking for a very unique EBD I would consider parting with 1007. The previous owner posted pictures of this exact game on IPDB so you can see what it's condition is. I've owned it for about 15 years now and never got around to doing much with it so I'd like to see it find a new loving home.

I too have a bunch of rings, but no caps. I asked PPS if they could make them in white as Grand Slam uses white caps. From what I remember is PPS is working to have EBD caps reproduced in white. Was given a time frame of "sometime this year" and that was in 2018 so lets hope they hit the market in 2019.

#1929 5 years ago

Mine says EED583x. I can’t make out what the last digit is on the backbox or cabinet.

#1930 5 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Mine says EED583x. I can’t make out what the last digit is on the backbox or cabinet.

like 5 thousand, 800 thirty something... means 4,830+

#1931 5 years ago
Quoted from pinfixer:

EED 1007 myself. Lowest S/N known to exist. Plastic playfield game as well. As you can see in my avatar I have the proto "Blue Display" EBD so if someone is looking for a very unique EBD I would consider parting with 1007. The previous owner posted pictures of this exact game on IPDB so you can see what it's condition is. I've owned it for about 15 years now and never got around to doing much with it so I'd like to see it find a new loving home.
I too have a bunch of rings, but no caps. I asked PPS if they could make them in white as Grand Slam uses white caps. From what I remember is PPS is working to have EBD caps reproduced in white. Was given a time frame of "sometime this year" and that was in 2018 so lets hope they hit the market in 2019.

PM sent

#1932 5 years ago

My EBD is famous. Prior to me owning it, it was used in this video (2'44" mark). I can't say I had ever heard of the band, Midland, but with 83 million views, I guess a lot of people have.

#1933 5 years ago
Quoted from Alamo_Pin:

My EBD is famous. Prior to me owning it, it was used in this video (2'44" mark). I can't say I had ever heard of the band, Midland, but with 83 million views, I guess a lot of people have.

Are you sure that's your EBD?

It sure looks a lot like mine.

1 week later
#1934 5 years ago

New owner of an LE
Looking for LE specific parts if anyone is holding
Backglass, any condition considered
Head, any condition considered
Red Plexi that covers displays
Also interested in a playfield if anyone is holding anything decent

#1935 5 years ago

Hey EBD fans! Colorado Pinball will be streaming this game tonight at 7PM Mountain. Stop by and say hello!

https://www.twitch.tv/ColoradoPinball

#1936 5 years ago

Happy with my recent all original EBD. Came with a manual and this certificate. Matches the serial numbers on the cabinet and back box.

D51D7ED6-F7F3-4BF9-86CD-5DDF65C451EC (resized).jpegD51D7ED6-F7F3-4BF9-86CD-5DDF65C451EC (resized).jpeg
#1937 5 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Happy with my recent all original EBD. Came with a manual and this certificate. Matches the serial numbers on the cabinet and back box.
[quoted image]

I believe that would have originally been stapled to the floor stiffener directly behind the coin box.

#1938 5 years ago

The staple hole is there; but yes, it was
Torn out of the original location.

1 week later
#1939 5 years ago

Looking for an Eight Ball Deluxe within two hours of South Central Pennsylvania. No projects--I'd like a fully functional machine. I'd also prefer the '81 or '84 models, not the LE. PM me if you have one for sale. Thanks.

#1940 5 years ago

Selling a CPR Playfield in the market

Parts - For Sale
New (selling multiple) - “Selling a CPR Eight Ball Deluxe Playfield. Please see pics. Looks great. Please ask for detail pics and I will supply. Buyer pays shipping. Continental US only please Update: I...”
2019-02-10
Lodi, CA
Archived after: 7 days
Viewed: 394 times

#1941 5 years ago

Can someone tell me what this lamp is supposed to indicate? I've seen it on different machines but it's a mystery to me.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
#1942 5 years ago

If it's Lit then there are Credits on the game.....

#1943 5 years ago

Does this machine take the standard glass 43" X 21" Thanks in advance

#1944 5 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Does this machine take the standard glass 43" X 21" Thanks in advance

Yes

#1945 5 years ago

My new-to-me Eight Ball Deluxe has a problem I'm trying to sort out.

When pressing the left flipper button, the upper flipper stays in the extended position. As soon as I apply a slight push to the flipper itself, it springs back to its resting position. If I just tap the button very slightly the flipper doesn't stick, but any normal use of the button will cause the sticking.

Is this a common problem, and is it OK to spray some PB Blaster lubricant into the shaft where the shaft goes into the coil, or is that a no-no?

I did swap one of the other flippers into its position and the same thing happens.

#1946 5 years ago
Quoted from cngizbleevng:

My new-to-me Eight Ball Deluxe has a problem I'm trying to sort out.
When pressing the left flipper button, the upper flipper stays in the extended position. As soon as I apply a slight push to the flipper itself, it springs back to its resting position. If I just tap the button very slightly the flipper doesn't stick, but any normal use of the button will cause the sticking.
Is this a common problem, and is it OK to spray some PB Blaster lubricant into the shaft where the shaft goes into the coil, or is that a no-no?
I did swap one of the other flippers into its position and the same thing happens.

Can you do it with the playfield up? If so, let it stick, then try flexing the flippers base plate in the middle, does it snap back? Linear flippers can bind up. I play with bending the base plate until the problem is fixed. Don't use a lubricant, it would probably grease it okay but upon retracting it would be slower.

#1947 5 years ago

As BJM-Maxx said, don't lube the flipper mech or any other mechanicals on solid state games as the grease will cause problems later. The flipper return springs on linear flippers are weak. Make sure there's enough tension to pull the flipper back. Also I have seen coil stops become magnetized causing sticking flippers. Look for loose screws on the coil stop and the coil retaining bracket. There should not be any resistance when moving flipper by hand, if there is, you may need to replace the bushing on the flipper shaft or clean/replace coil sleeve. Also there should be about a 1/16 inch minimum up and down clearance of the flipper in relation to the playfield so the flipper bat doesn't drag. The Pinball Resource is a good place to buy flipper parts for Bally games.

#1948 5 years ago

Picking up a EBD LE on the weekend
What's the best way to transport
I know head must come off
Do connectors need to be unplugged or is there enough room to fold over like a newer game

#1949 5 years ago
Quoted from Moonshot:

Picking up a EBD LE on the weekend
What's the best way to transport

I disconnected the connectors on my EBD and removed the head (had to due to the location of the machine where I purchased it). Be sure you document/tag all the connections. Putting it back together took 30 minutes or so.
I would not fold it over and let the head hang on my just the cables.

#1950 5 years ago

Thanks for the advice
looking forward to joining the club

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
$ 10.00
There are 5,666 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 114.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well/page/39?hl=patentlaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.