EBD (resized).jpg
IMG_2238 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,673 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 114.
#1551 6 years ago

Once disassembled, it only takes minor carpentry skills and a few tools to replicate it from a new piece of plywood. It looks like yours is made of the cheap fiber board that many were made of. The one on my '84 version was completely broken at the hinge and had to be replaced. The only really hard part is prying out the old staples. And be careful with the plastic light shields on the front. They make new ones but they are pricey. Once tou have it stripped just match it to a piece of new and trace out all the holes and edges. With a drill, a cheap jigsaw and a few hours you can make a duplicate piece decently enough. Spray it white, remount all the hardware and voila!

Shawn

#1552 6 years ago

I am on the EBD apron repro pre-order list, but have sold my game. If anyone wants my spot for the apron, send me a PM and I will switch my spot over to you. First PM, first dibs.

Added over 6 years ago: Apron spot has been claimed.

#1553 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

What is the length? Some round head screws are short and some are long.
It all depends on where they are to be mounted.
P.S. You are missing a steel post pin that goes in between the two plastic posts
and the two plastic posts are to have 5/16" rubber rings on them.

I see now from pictures that missing steel pin. Does anybody sell that part? Is there a good source for new playfield screws? I’ve tried to reach Gatecrasher. I’ve ordered new plastic posts from PBR. I have a new rubber set from Marco that I haven’t installed yet. There are several mistakes on my game with the rubber rings which I want to correct.

#1554 6 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

I see now from pictures that missing steel pin. Does anybody sell that part? Is there a good source for new playfield screws? I’ve been trying to reach Gatecrasher. I’ve ordered new plastic posts from PBR. I have a new rubber set from Marco that I haven’t installed yet. There are several mistakes on my game with the rubber rings which I want to correct.

#1555 6 years ago

Just finished restoring mine.

DPV_0276 (resized).jpgDPV_0276 (resized).jpgDPV_0278 (resized).jpgDPV_0278 (resized).jpgDPV_0279 (resized).jpgDPV_0279 (resized).jpgIMG_20171215_190312 (resized).jpgIMG_20171215_190312 (resized).jpgDPV_0268 (resized).jpgDPV_0268 (resized).jpg

Here's the full story .

#1556 6 years ago
Quoted from g94:

Just finished restoring mine.

Here's the full story .

WOW !! That's a great story!! Great job! You inspired me! Thank you very much.

1 week later
#1557 6 years ago

A question to the EE experts: is it factory that the blade switches under the rollovers aren´t protected with fishpaper? Or is that just missing on my EBD?

#1559 6 years ago

PinCardz through Facebook or through this link. Click on the link for Eight Ball Deluxe. I bought them for my Eight Ball Deluxe and my Mata Hari. Outstanding quality. Warning there are also adult cards listed if there are kids or your wife is in the room!

http://madvoodoo.com/#/twoPane/category/2

Also, I was able to have them change some of the bonus rewards (for my Mata Hari) through their Facebook message link. So if their default scores don’t match what you need, should be able to request changes.

#1560 6 years ago

Starting to tear into my Eight Ball deluxe project. 2 questions for the group-
What kind of speaker would you recommend as a slight upgrade from the factory 4 ohm/15 watt ? Not spending too much money. (Amazon is your friend)
Also, does anybody know a good source for the volume pot attached to the coin door? Mine has the typical high pitch bleed through at higher levels.
Thanks

#1561 6 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Also, does anybody know a good source for the volume pot attached to the coin door? Mine has the typical high pitch bleed through at higher levels.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=ct2154-nd

Or try running it back and forth a few times. Often its just corroded wipers.

#1562 6 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=ct2154-nd
Or try running it back and forth a few times. Often its just corroded wipers.

Thanks!

#1563 6 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

is it factory that the blade switches under the rollovers aren´t protected with fishpaper? Or is that just missing on my EBD?

Bally did not use fish-paper on their leaf switches/blade switches

#1564 6 years ago

Couple questions for the group-
Would like to verify the blue-finned post numbers. I seem to have 9 short and 22 tall.
Also, if anyone has or can easily replicate the clear plastics under the light shields, I would love to purchase a set. I have the lower ones near the flippers, though as already mentioned, they are not a perfect fit. I have my old ones with all the bell stand offs, so can move those over to new ones. I see a few fplks have made their own out of 1/8" lexan which seems like should be durable. I don't really have the correct equipment to make my own.
Any help much appreciated.

#1565 6 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I don't really have the correct equipment to make my own.
Any help much appreciated.

Get a Dremel set. Find a local plastic supplier in your area and get a plastic cutting knife.
You can also use tin snips to cut the plastic into a rough shape.
Finally, get a drill with deferent bits. I hope this helps.
Note: if you got the money to burn you can have the plastics laser cut and or old school,
pay to have steel rule dies made and have the plastics press cut.

#1566 6 years ago

During my current restoration of a EBD I got kind of tired of looking at the schematics to find the color of a particular wire and where´s it´s supposed to go to so I created this "Tech Chart" that lists all coils, lamps and switches with their respective connectors, wires, transistors etc.
I checked everything thoroughly but there still might be errors in the document.

Maybe it´s of help to somebody else - otherwise just ignore.

If somebody wants to use the same format for another pinball of that era I´m happy to provide the editable docx format.

EBD TechChart.pdfEBD TechChart.pdf

#1567 6 years ago

Time to blow out the last EBD playfield with overlay installed. $200 US to USA shipped. Has minor dust particles, or depressions under overlay in some areas. Alignment is off a bit mostly at the bottom big lenses. Over all a very nice replacement for a worn out playfield. Overlay is cold laminated, & no further protection is needed.

IMG_0005 (resized).JPGIMG_0005 (resized).JPG

IMG_0006 (resized).JPGIMG_0006 (resized).JPG

IMG_0007 (resized).JPGIMG_0007 (resized).JPG

IMG_0008 (resized).JPGIMG_0008 (resized).JPG

#1568 6 years ago
Quoted from Bumper:

Are there any nice custom price and rule cards available for Eight Ball Deluxe apron?

Here's the one I made during my EBD restoration.

Eight Ball Deluxe.pdfEight Ball Deluxe.pdf

#1569 6 years ago

Sold my last EBD with overlay installed.

#1570 6 years ago

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the tech thread. Scoring question for the EB8 experts. I was playing around with a 4 player game. Sometimes some points are added to a shooters 2nd or 3rd ball before the ball is even fired. It's added as the ball is lifted up to the launch position. I've seen 3000 or I think 6000 points added. Is there a problem with the game or is there a legit reason why these points are being added? I'm still learning the scoring on this game. Thanks.

#1571 6 years ago

Bleed over from vibrating switch contacts? Does the game playfield pass the thump test?

#1572 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Bleed over from vibrating switch contacts? Does the game playfield pass the thump test?

Exactly what it was. It was a couple of the Deluxe targets being too close. So when the billiard targets reset, the Deluxe targets sometimes triggered adding 3000 or 6000 phantom points. Thanks.

#1573 6 years ago

Anyone else have this problem? It only happens on an extremely slow moving ball, but it's happened more than once.

This is a new CPR playfield and I've got the drop targets flush with the playfield. I also have the entire mech mounted with the targets as close to the front of the playfield as possible.

Oddly enough, I've got an operator friend's game I've been using as a reference and the same thing happens on his and the drop targets are a tad higher than the playfield on his.

I'm stumped.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#1574 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Anyone else have this problem? It only happens on an extremely slow moving ball, but it's happened more than once.
This is a new CPR playfield and I've got the drop targets flush with the playfield. I also have the entire mech mounted with the targets as close to the front of the playfield as possible.
Oddly enough, I've got an operator friend's game I've been using as a reference and the same thing happens on his and the drop targets are a tad higher than the playfield on his.
I'm stumped.

Yes, seems like a common issue on original and CPR.

It appears the easy solution is a piece of plexi (or even some cereal box cardboard in a pinch) cut and tacked to the inside bottom of the drop target mech to bring the drop target heads (when down) to be flush with the top of the playfield.

#1575 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'm stumped.

Happens on mine too, ALL the time. Gets frustrating, but I deal with it.

#1576 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Yes, seems like a common issue on original and CPR.
It appears the easy solution is a piece of plexi (or even some cereal box cardboard in a pinch) cut and tacked to the inside bottom of the drop target mech to bring the drop target heads (when down) to be flush with the top of the playfield.

I've already added layers of mylar to get the targets flush with the playfield. The new targets must be a tad shorter than originals because they were a good 1/16" lower than the playfield. I may add a bit more and see what happens.

I find it interesting they didn't allow for adjustment like on the other drop target mech.

#1577 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I find it interesting they didn't allow for adjustment like on the other drop target mech.

I have tought about drilling, tapping, and adding a screw and wing nut for adjustment. It would look nicer and work well.

#1578 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Bally, on later revisions of their drop targets, added a metal "L" bracket in order to feel in the space between the drop targets.
Midway/Bally #0390-00100-0000 ; #0390-00100-00XF, BRACKET: FILLER ( 6 REQ'D.)

#1579 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Bally, on later revisions of their drop targets, added a metal "L" bracket in order to feel in the space between the drop targets.

interesting.

Have any photos or reference on what this looks like? It would be cool to try and replicate.

#1580 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I'm confused with the part numbers. You have two listed and say 6 required. Also, any idea if/where they're available?

#1581 6 years ago

Bally/Midway listed the part# two different ways on two deferent pages just giving the part #'s
(specs)
0.039 thick metal, 1/4" wide, 1 13/16" long (inside), 5/8" top (inside)
#5 holes (2 req'd)3/8" spaced: center too center.
The top center hole is approximately 17/32" from the bottom edge.
The bottom center hole is approximately 5/32" from the bottom edge.
Reference: Bally's Kings of Steel or Beat the Clock for part shape.

#1582 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Bally/Midway listed the part# two different ways on two deferent pages just giving the part #'s
(specs)
0.039 thick metal, 1/4" wide, 1 13/16" long (inside), 5/8" top (inside)
#5 holes (2 req'd)3/8" spaced: center too center.
The top center hole is approximately 17/32" from the bottom edge.
The bottom center hole is approximately 5/32" from the bottom edge.
Reference: Bally's Kings of Steel or Beat the Clock for part shape.

Thanks and I get it now. The pieces also make sense. The 5/8" part fills the gap in between the targets.

Does anyone know if these are available anywhere and also, can they be fitted on an older mech like on EBD?

#1583 6 years ago

Didn't somebody already mention that the CPR play fields are a bit thicker than the originals? Referring to t-nuts being a tad short for catching machine threaded screws. Could be the clear coat makes them thicker. If that is so, wouldn't it also makes sense the drop targets would not line up with that top surface the same way. Possibly being a bit lower and causing this issue?

#1584 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

can they be fitted on an older mech like on EBD?

Yes! The part was made for Bally drop target assemblies. You should have bought some back in 1984
when they were available.

#1585 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

You should have bought some back in 1984
when they were available.

Now you tell me.

#1586 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

interesting.
Have any photos or reference on what this looks like? It would be cool to try and replicate.

Maybe not the prettiest, but they work. Wish I could have laser cut them.

Not sure I like the look. I might leave them until one of my friends asks, "WTF are those?" Then they get yanked and I deal with the ball traps.

#1587 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Maybe not the prettiest, but they work. Wish I could have laser cut them.
Not sure I like the look. I might leave them until one of my friends asks, "WTF are those?" Then they get yanked and I deal with the ball traps.

I think they look ok. I wouldn't mind having them on mine. Nice job BK

#1588 6 years ago

I need a set PLEASE!

#1589 6 years ago

Hi Bryan,

I had the same problem with my EBD. I used two strips of 1/2" self-adhesive wood veneer which I placed under the drop targets ends for the length of the sheet metal Bally assembly (started with one, then went to two). That solved the problem for the next 30-40 years.

All I had to do was to raise the drop targets ~1/16th of and inch and the balls would never settle there again.

-Nate

3 weeks later
#1590 6 years ago

Hi Guys,
Hoping for some help. I picked up a EBD LTD for a friend last week. It will be his first pin and I wanted to look over it a little. Everything works and plays fine. The MPU goes through the 7 flashes and the sound 5. This still has a rechargeable battery on the board, I’m pretty sure its not original. When I first looked at it the sound was set to the default chimes I think it wasn’t played enough and the battery drained. I went into the self test and set it to 03 so it sounds normal again. Now I can’t get back into the book keeping or adjustments. I can do the self tests and when I push the button again there is nothing. Even trying to push it 23+ times there is still nothing just the GI and the only way to get out of it is to turn it off and back on. Its still retaining the sound setting and high score. Could it be the ram chip is going bad? I was going to suggest to him putting a 3 aa battery pack off board but if it could be the chip maybe go with a nvram from Pintech, simple swap of the chip.

#1591 6 years ago
Quoted from Troyster42:

Hi Guys,
Hoping for some help. I picked up a EBD LTD for a friend last week. It will be his first pin and I wanted to look over it a little. Everything works and plays fine. The MPU goes through the 7 flashes and the sound 5. This still has a rechargeable battery on the board, I’m pretty sure its not original. When I first looked at it the sound was set to the default chimes I think it wasn’t played enough and the battery drained. I went into the self test and set it to 03 so it sounds normal again. Now I can’t get back into the book keeping or adjustments. I can do the self tests and when I push the button again there is nothing. Even trying to push it 23+ times there is still nothing just the GI and the only way to get out of it is to turn it off and back on. Its still retaining the sound setting and high score. Could it be the ram chip is going bad? I was going to suggest to him putting a 3 aa battery pack off board but if it could be the chip maybe go with a nvram from Pintech, simple swap of the chip.

Just do the NVRAM & be done with it forever

#1592 6 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Just do the NVRAM & be done with it forever

I do think thats the best route to not have to worry with the batteries and more but do you think that will fix the issues I'm having now?

#1593 6 years ago

Picked up an EBD '81 version that has all red ringed posts instead of blue. Doesn't look like they were added in recent years. Anyone ever see this game with red posts?

#1594 6 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Picked up an EBD '81 version that has all red ringed posts instead of blue. Doesn't look like they were added in recent years. Anyone ever see this game with red posts?

I have but it was one of the first 400 and also had the solid white pop bumpers. Of course those probably would have been replaced with translucent orange by now. I don't suppose yours has a plastic playfield? There weren't many of those but I think they came with red also.

#1595 6 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Post a pic! I want to see it...

#1596 6 years ago

Serial #1475

2ACB9067-6D3A-496E-9A34-7D8E9051BC7C (resized).jpeg2ACB9067-6D3A-496E-9A34-7D8E9051BC7C (resized).jpeg

#1597 6 years ago

Wood playfield. Only some prototypes had plastic

#1598 6 years ago

Pretty cool! My understanding is that they started with S/N 1000 so that would make yours a pretty early one. My ‘81 is like 11xxx I think.

#1599 6 years ago

Better get some plastic lane guides on there! (Where the ball feeds to the flippers)... and some new in line targets too...
The red doesn't look too bad! I thought it would be worse...

#1600 6 years ago
Quoted from tominator:

Better get some plastic lane guides on there! (Where the ball feeds to the flippers)... and some new in line targets too...
The red doesn't look too bad! I thought it would be worse...

Mine is in Red too. I prefer the red over the blue. And, of course, long ago, the upper lane guides were replaced (or originally were) translucent red. Blue never looked right to me on all the re-releases. But then I have been playing this one since 1981!. Yes, White Bumper caps broke their tabs so Translucent got purchased at the Distributor in the 80's. since they were out of Amber rings, they sold me EBD amber caps with Red Centaur Rings. Been that way ever since and I have always liked the look.

The Special inserts were Milky Red, not translucent red like the NOS Bally playfield I installed back in the late 80's.

If course, I have always wondered if the game would look better with Green Posts since, after all, it is a Pool Table Game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bloomsburg, PA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

There are 5,673 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 114.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well/page/32?hl=troyster42 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.