Topic Stats

• 2,412 posts
  • 275 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by TreyBo69
  • Topic is favorited by 120 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 833 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D297576E-4159-42E8-8C3A-3779DDE7026C (resized).png
20191210_173622.jpg
20191204_191656.jpg
IMG_6858 (resized).jpg
IMG_6861 (resized).jpg
IMG_6860 (resized).jpg
IMG_6859 (resized).jpg
IMG_6857 (resized).jpg
IMG_6856 (resized).jpg
IMG_6854 (resized).jpg
IMG_6855 (resized).jpg
IMG_6853 (resized).jpg
010 (resized).JPG
1572191570205240149702 (resized).jpg
1572191474649-1489321371 (resized).jpg
16847272469173216103 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2412 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 49.
#1051 2 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Are those of you who have bought the repro plastic set happy with the quality? I'm trying to decide on this one.
For those of you who are using standard star posts are you using washers or anything to match the height of the taller ribbed posts?

The 1984 Bally/Midway 3rd version (Classic) came from the factory with blue star posts rather than the traditional Bally ribbed posts the previous two versions came with. Like the ribbed posts, the star posts came in two heights too.

Another difference that the final version had was it used the Nylon acorn nuts to secure the playfield plastics where the previous versions used the white rubber caps.

#1052 2 years ago

Thanks Gatecrasher. I'm about to tear my game down for topside cleaning and drop target maintenance. Was playing around with some color changes over the weekend and couldn't really figure out why two different heights of plastic posts were needed. When using modern star posts I just switched to shorter screws and posts.

I decided to stick with my original plastics for now. I'll try to heat and flatten a couple of the warped pieces. What do you all think about amber/yellow posts? I swapped out the lane guides for opaque red. Not sure about those yet, I may also try opaque yellow.

left (resized).jpg
right (resized).jpg
upper (resized).jpg

#1053 2 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Thanks Gatecrasher. I'm about to tear my game down for topside cleaning and drop target maintenance. Was playing around with some color changes over the weekend and couldn't really figure out why two different heights of plastic posts were needed. When using modern star posts I just switched to shorter screws and posts.
I decided to stick with my original plastics for now. I'll try to heat and flatten a couple of the warped pieces. What do you all think about amber/yellow posts? I swapped out the lane guides for opaque red. Not sure about those yet, I may also try opaque yellow.

The reproduction plastics sets are very-nice. Definitely worth the investment if you choose to spruce it up a bit (although yours look to be pretty-nice).

The CPR EBD plastics are the nicest I've ever seen with the IPB coming in a close second.

The CPR plastics sets include a really-nice topper too as well as a spare pair of slingshot plastics and two key fobs. Awesome!

CPR has another run of EBD playfields in the works right now and they say they are also going to re-release the plastics too. I'd jump on a set when they become available if you plan to keep the machine.

#1054 2 years ago

I had not seen the CPR set available, so that is good info about the reprint. I absolutely love 8BD! Will be a keeper.

#1055 2 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I have posted these pics on here before but will do it again for those who haven't seen them.
I've developed a very easy technique to remove the metal posts and then re-form them to be re-used with the replacement plastics.
All you need is a lighter and something round that you can fit inside the metal post to pry it out of the plastic. Then you will need a wire stripper/crimper to re-form the top of the post.
I take the lighter and just wave it a few times underneath the metal post. About three seconds will do it. It comes out real easy. You don't want to overheat it or the plastics will be all gooey. You can still remove the post it's just messier to clean up if you overheat it. You'll get the hang of heating the post. Same goes if you use a soldering iron which works too. I've just found the lighter technique to be a little faster and easier.

I did most of this using a heat gun inserted into the little metal post which worked pretty good.
But when it came to reinstalling them into the new plastics I didn't straighten out the flange, I actually drilled the new plastics out with a drill bit just a bit smaller than the flange diameter, and then pushed them in, they seem to pop in, they don't fall out, but they can spin around in the plastic, but once you screw the plastics into the playfield they will not spin.

#1056 2 years ago

What was the original EBD1980 coin door setup? Did game come with 2 quarter slots and a middle SBA slot? Was the Bally coin door decal SBA or regular? Have seen it so many ways not sure?
Thank You

#1057 2 years ago
Quoted from alimerick:

What was the original EBD1980 coin door setup? Did game come with 2 quarter slots and a middle SBA slot? Was the Bally coin door decal SBA or regular? Have seen it so many ways not sure?
Thank You

The original EBD was released in 1981. When Bally pins were sold, they came with a manila envelope that had all the owner's paperwork and a manual, parts manual, a flyer, various score cards and coin inserts.

It was up to the owner to decide which inserts (how much to charge) and score cards (balls per game & difficulty) to use. The owner usually also specified how many coin mechs were installed. That's why some pins have 3 and others have the metal block-off plate in positions not being used.

The SBA dollar coin was minted from 1979-81 so most pins from that era included dollar inserts. I don't think the 1981 EBD had the EBD coin door decal though. Every one I've ever seen had the regular Bally decal. You see the SBA coin door decal on most Bally pins from 1979.

The SBA dollar was a flop so after 1979 you don't see a lot in use but I remember several arcades kept them alive beyond 1981 as the coin of choice from their change machines.

#1058 2 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

The reproduction plastics sets are very-nice. Definitely worth the investment if you choose to spruce it up a bit (although yours look to be pretty-nice).
The CPR EBD plastics are the nicest I've ever seen with the IPB coming in a close second...

I was just on CPR's website and I did not see the EBD plastics (ever) being listed. If they are the nicer looking ones, do you have a link for them by chance?

Thanks!

#1059 2 years ago
Quoted from mjwilliams:

I was just on CPR's website and I did not see the EBD plastics (ever) being listed. If they are the nicer looking ones, do you have a link for them by chance?
Thanks!

They used to show them in the gallery but they don't seem to be there anymore.

Here are some pictures I copied from the CPR website back when they had them in their gallery. They still have the protective coating on them in the pic.

ebdplas01 (resized).jpg

ebdplas15 (resized).jpg

#1060 2 years ago

Wow! That is a nice looking set. If that was available I would buy it

#1061 2 years ago
Quoted from mjwilliams:

Wow! That is a nice looking set. If that was available I would buy it

According to the website the playfields are ready for screen printing so I would imagine we will see them in a few months. In addition to the plastics, I hope they do another run of the backglasses too.

#1062 2 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Here are some pictures I copied from the CPR website back when they had them in their gallery. They still have the protective coating on them in the pic.

Love that Topper. Would like to find one

#1063 2 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Second on that topper, I'd love to have one on my soon-to-be restored 1981 EBD - available anywhere?

Gatecrasher - Do you still sell BG lift channels, BG trim parts, & other stainless steel hardware for EBD?

I'm going to be getting into a full resto soon on my thrashed, routed 1981 EBD (complete w/ black boot marks on the cabinet sides & ugly lock bar on the coin door) & am in need of some parts.

So far I have or is on order a CPR playfield, Shay's BG & plastic set, pinpimp stencil kit, flipper rebuild kits, & new drop target set.

Haven't delved into boards yet, but it does play O.K. & talk, although I'll probably end up repinning connectors, etc.

#1064 2 years ago

When I bought my most recent EBD, it was mostly LED'd on the topside of the PF. Backbox, inserts etc however are still incandescent. Likely going to convert to full LED. Maybe not the backbox, but maybe. Do I need to upgrade just the lamp driver board, or the aux lamp board too?

#1065 2 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

When I bought my most recent EBD, it was mostly LED'd on the topside of the PF. Backbox, inserts etc however are still incandescent. Likely going to convert to full LED. Maybe not the backbox, but maybe. Do I need to upgrade just the lamp driver board, or the aux lamp board too?

In my LE all that was needed is the main lamp board.

#1066 2 years ago

Episode 3 - Eight Ball Deluxe (Bally-Midway, 1984) Tutorial Review

History-Features-Gameplay Tutorial of this undeniably outstanding and infamous Bally designed pinball machine. The final game production run, Eight Ball Deluxe 1984 'Classic' edition, is reviewed in great depth of detail.

"Quit talking, and start chalking!"

Episode 3 BONUS - Eight Ball Deluxe (Bally-Midway, 1984)

The EXTENDED history review of Eight Ball Deluxe "Classic" Edition detailed from Episode 3.
Two parts, primary production differences between the 1984 "Classic" edition and the 1981 original game and my personal game comparison/history/details to factory production games.

#1067 2 years ago

A bit of trivia about the 1984-85 "Classic Edition" of Eight Ball Deluxe is that the score cards that came with the machine from the factory were the same as the previous version and said "Limited Edition" on them too.

Only the 1981 version had score cards that had just "Eight Ball Deluxe" on them.

That's why some people back in the 1980s referred to the 1984-85 version as the "Limited Edition" too like the 2nd gen.

It wasn't until many years later that I ever heard anyone call the 3rd edition the "Classic". I think someone named it the "Classic" just to differentiate it from the original "Limited Edition". Back when they were new we referred to the 3rd edition as the "Nice Guy Machine" because of the nicer-looking dude on the backbox with a wedding band on his finger as opposed to the ghoulish-looking character the original had.

I also have never seen a flyer for the 3rd edition. Has anyone else? I don't think any were printed as the machines were kind of rushed to production as Bally/Midway was going down the tubes financially.

As far as gameplay goes, all three versions are identical.

#1068 2 years ago

What color flipper rubbers were originally used on the 1984 edition?

#1069 2 years ago

I always heard the third version being called as the "swinging door" model until less than 20 years ago. "Classic" edition sounds better.

I have never seen an unique flyer, but I would like to find one if it exists.
I saw it advertised using the the original flyer in the 80s by distributors.

#1070 2 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

What color flipper rubbers were originally used on the 1984 edition?

I wouldn't say one color was an absolute for 1984-85 but a lot of them had yellow flipper rubbers but I've seen some with the red ones too. It's hard to recall plus most have been replaced several times over the years.

#1071 2 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I wouldn't say one color was an absolute for 1984-85 but a lot of them had yellow flipper rubbers but I've seen some with the red ones too. It's hard to recall plus most have been replaced several times over the years.

I recall pale yellow as well when they were new.

#1072 2 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I would also like one of these toppers...are they still available?
Also, did anybody notice the mistake? it's QUIT talking and start chalking...not STOP talking...

#1073 2 years ago
Quoted from tominator:

I would also like one of these toppers...are they still available?
Also, did anybody notice the mistake? it's QUIT talking and start chalking...not STOP talking...

Yeah you're right. It's like those repop score cards that say "Eightball Deluxe" instead of the correct "Eight Ball Deluxe".

I think I have like 3 of the toppers brand-new with the protective coating still on the pieces.

#1074 2 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Yeah you're right. It's like those repop score cards that say "Eightball Deluxe" instead of the correct "Eight Ball Deluxe".
I think I have like 3 of the toppers brand-new with the protective coating still on the pieces.

Wiiling to part with one, by chance?

#1075 2 years ago

Gatecrasher -- Also would like to buy EBD BG lift channel & trim plus stainless steel hardware from you ...

#1076 2 years ago

Humph, you need to come to the cabin tomorrow & play poker.

#1077 2 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

sell me one! please??

1 week later
#1078 2 years ago

Question EBD owners. Just recently shopped mine out. All new targets etc. Everything works fine, except the 8 ball target drops without hitting it. Enough nudge on the machine or one good vibration and she drops. Not the switch, it's fine. Plus when the machine is off,and the PF is up, I just give the housing around it underneath a swift slap and it drops. Spring or ? Any ideas?

#1079 2 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Question EBD owners. Just recently shopped mine out. All new targets etc. Everything works fine, except the 8 ball target drops without hitting it. Enough nudge on the machine or one good vibration and she drops. Not the switch, it's fine. Plus when the machine is off,and the PF is up, I just give the housing around it underneath a swift slap and it drops. Spring or ? Any ideas?

was this target replaced too? Is the housing for the drop target worn at all? The shelf that the target sits on when up. Was the old target too sensitive too?

#1080 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

was this target replaced too? Is the housing for the drop target worn at all? The shelf that the target sits on when up. Was the old target too sensitive too?

Yes, replaced the 8 ball target too. Little wear on the backside on top towards the special insert. Nothing in the front. And I never had a problem with the old target. Minimal wear at best shouldn't cause it to drop on a dime anyways I wouldn't think. Something is just "off" seems as though if the target was a bit closer towards the flippers, it might be fine? Didn't have a problem yrs ago when I did the same teardown on my 1st one.

#1081 2 years ago

Maybe the housing isn't sitting far enough forward? I had new targets that were too sensitive because the notch on the target that hangs on the housing when the target was up was way smaller than the stock target making it fall down way too easy. I carved out a bit more to give it more room to sit up there is that makes sense.

#1082 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Maybe the housing isn't sitting far enough forward? I had new targets that were too sensitive because the notch on the target that hangs on the housing when the target was up was way smaller than the stock target making it fall down way too easy. I carved out a bit more to give it more room to sit up there is that makes sense.

Somewhat makes sense I suppose. The entire "housing" underneath I did not take off. Just the bottom side so I could disassemble the target from the coil etc. I would think if you if you carved out more of that notch it'd be even more sensitive? Notch looks the same on on the new vs old if your referring to this notch.

20170203_174041 (resized).jpg

#1083 2 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Somewhat makes sense I suppose. The entire "housing" underneath I did not take off. Just the bottom side so I could disassemble the target from the coil etc. I would think if you if you carved out more of that notch it'd be even more sensitive? Notch looks the same on on the new vs old if your referring to this notch.

Yep that's what I was talking about. That's all I got sorry. Haha. I took the housing completely apart on mine so that's weird you're having this issue with just replacing the target.

Btw did your dog get to that old target? Hahaha

#1084 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yep that's what I was talking about. That's all I got sorry. Haha. I took the housing completely apart on mine so that's weird you're having this issue with just replacing the target.
Btw did your dog get to that old target? Hahaha

Appreciate the input. Not sure what I'll do from here. Maybe disassemble it again and put it back together? Wish my dog got to the old target God rest his German Shepherd soul. He was our only kid....

#1085 2 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Appreciate the input. Not sure what I'll do from here. Maybe disassemble it again and put it back together? Wish my dog got to the old target God rest his German Shepherd soul. He was our only kid....

Sorry to hear. Losing pets is horrible.

#1086 2 years ago

Any comments on the repro backglass Shay released late last year? Anyone buy one, have photos etc? Would really like to hear from someone who has one.

#1087 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Any comments on the repro backglass Shay released late last year? Anyone buy one, have photos etc? Would really like to hear from someone who has one.

I just got mine last week. It's a backglass. I thought it looked fine and I packed it away, as I have a lot of other work to do on my game before I want to put the new glass in it. I haven't compared it closely to an original.

My plastics haven't arrived yet.

#1088 2 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Still having issues with my 8 ball target dropping at random due to vibrations etc. Can someone just take a few pictures of the assembly from the bottom side, of the coil, where the target mounts to the bracket etc? Maybe a couple different angles? Just don't know what the problem is. ...

#1089 2 years ago

I'm not exactly following what you want to see, but my playfield is out while I do some cabinet work. So based on these, what do you want to see? Disclaimer: I have never played this game since I picked it up. It obviously has a broken target. I'm only assuming it works otherwise.

1486684220738-628954791 (resized).jpg

1486684269124-979552230 (resized).jpg

1486684350008608785923 (resized).jpg

#1090 2 years ago
Quoted from easilybaffled:

I'm not exactly following what you want to see, but my playfield is out while I do some cabinet works. So based on these, what do you want to see? Disclaimer: I have never played this game since I picked it up. It obviously has a broken target. I'm only assuming it works otherwise.

He needs pics of the 8 ball target I think. The single one up the top right side by the saucer.

#1091 2 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Still having issues with my 8 ball target dropping at random due to vibrations etc. Can someone just take a few pictures of the assembly from the bottom side, of the coil, where the target mounts to the bracket etc? Maybe a couple different angles? Just don't know what the problem is. ...

I'll be home today working on EBD. Let me know if you need a different angle.

1 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
4 (resized).jpg

#1092 2 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I'll be home today working on EBD. Let me know if you need a different angle.

Appreciate the pics guys. I have it setup just right as I figured. I tried your tip Chuck, no dice on carving out the new target. Made it a bit worse actually. So, I tore it down again and tried a couple of my old "bullseye" targets from the inlane drops just to see, well, they work just fine? Go figure. Not sure what i'll do now. Leave the working one in I guess. My old 8 ball target is shot, so it is what is. Contacted Steve at Pinball Resource about trying a different 8 ball target. See what he says. Thanks again all.

#1093 2 years ago

New High Score!!!

IMG_6127 (resized).JPG

#1094 2 years ago

Although, I just read the postings, most likely the new 8 Ball target has a bad mold lip and insufficient depth causing edge slip. If you measure the catch edge with a electronic caliper, I am sure you will see a difference in dimensions. An incorrect height on the target can also cause this effect unrelated to the spring tension.

As mentioned you need a new target, the mold was incorrectly poured.

#1095 2 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Although, I just read the postings, most likely the new 8 Ball target has a bad mold lip and insufficient depth causing edge slip. If you measure the catch edge with a electronic caliper, I am sure you will see a difference in dimensions. An incorrect height on the target can also cause this effect unrelated to the spring tension.
As mentioned you need a new target, the mold was incorrectly poured.

PBR is sending another 8 ball target. Find out this week if the new one is any better. . . .

#1096 2 years ago

One thing to look at is the top edge of the metal slot that the target rests on.

I've seen some that are worn at the edge which makes the target not rest on it properly when in the up position.

Another thing to look at is how the metal slot aligns with the opening in the playfield. Sometimes the factory mounting holes are a little off location and when installed there isn't enough clearance between the slot in the wood and the metal ledge for the target to rest on the metal ledge like it should.

#1097 2 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

One thing to look at is the top edge of the metal slot that the target rests on.
I've seen some that are worn at the edge which makes the target not rest on it properly when in the up position.
Another thing to look at is how the metal slot aligns with the opening in the playfield. Sometimes the factory mounting holes are a little off location and when installed there isn't enough clearance between the slot in the wood and the metal ledge for the target to rest on the metal ledge like it should.

Received my replacement 8 ball target yesterday. This one is actually worse than the 1st one. Target barely even stays in the up position. Putting the piece of shit bullseye target back in. The only target that works. I've given up...

#1098 2 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Received my replacement 8 ball target yesterday. This one is actually worse than the 1st one. Target barely even stays in the up position. Putting the piece of shit bullseye target back in. The only target that works. I've given up...

Never give up. Especially on something like this.

If one target works and another doesn't, the best thing to do is to try and make the one that doesn't work match the one that does. Take a file or whatever and modify the new one in the shelf area to match. Actually I think you have another problem if two brand-new targets won't work.

One thing to think about if this is considered an insurmountable problem to solve is that you are going to have a lot more difficult issues come up down the road crop-up with your pinball machine.

Consider it a challenge and take a break from it if you get frustrated. I know I do too sometimes. Revisit it a few days later when you have enough time to really get to the bottom of the problem without getting pissed off. Once you finally solve it, you'll be glad you did and will feel more confident later as other problems crop up.

It's a good feeling when you finally solve a nagging problem like this. One of the most-satisfying most of us get from the hobby.

#1099 2 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Never give up. Especially on something like this.
If one target works and another doesn't, the best thing to do is to try and make the one that doesn't work match the one that does. Take a file or whatever and modify the new one in the shelf area to match. Actually I think you have another problem if two brand-new targets won't work.
One thing to think about if this is considered an insurmountable problem to solve is that you are going to have a lot more difficult issues come up down the road crop-up with your pinball machine.
Consider it a challenge and take a break from it if you get frustrated. I know I do too sometimes. Revisit it a few days later when you have enough time to really get to the bottom of the problem without getting pissed off. Once you finally solve it, you'll be glad you did and will feel more confident later as other problems crop up.
It's a good feeling when you finally solve a nagging problem like this. One of the most-satisfying most of us get from the hobby.

Appreciate the advice Crash. I'll dig back into again another time. Just don't understand. The targets look identical. I actually just did some doctoring of the "working" target and re-installed it. Think it actually looks ok. Fuss with the new target another day when I'm really bored. Thanks again...

20170216_165001 (resized).jpg

#1100 2 years ago

Whoa. Looks way better than an OG eight ball target if you ask me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 90.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
There are 2412 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 49.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside