Topic Stats

• 2,388 posts
  • 271 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 hours ago by KSUWildcatFan
  • Topic is favorited by 120 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 821 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

010 (resized).JPG
1572191570205240149702 (resized).jpg
1572191474649-1489321371 (resized).jpg
16847272469173216103 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20191008-070503 (resized).jpg
72648105-70A6-480A-87AC-4B9CEA66E0C1 (resized).jpeg
23AEF1E3-0BA9-4B29-8C77-B015A32190AB (resized).jpeg
2B464BD1-DBF9-42E2-9BE1-631D98F0F75D (resized).jpeg
IMG_2157 (resized).jpg
IMG_2155 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190904-194724 (resized).jpg
Ring.jpg
IMG_5079 (resized).JPG
IMG_5081 (resized).JPG
EBD Rollover Button (resized).jpg
EBD-Instructions (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2388 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 48.
#901 3 years ago

My first post on Pinside.com!

I finally started to restore my EBD over the summer. I spent whatever time I could between work, family, vacations, etc. taking a million pictures of the game and ripping every component off the playfield. I had a Bally NOS playfield that I bought about 15 years ago and ordered the cabinet stencils from Pinball Pimp. All of the hardware went into the polisher, I rebuilt the flippers and replaced the coils as well. We've had some nice warm days here in Maryland so before it gets too cold to paint in the garage, I devoted some time to prepping the cabinet. I started with 80 grit, then 120 and finished with 220 and gave the cabinet 4 coats with 220 in between. Here are pictures of my progress so far...

I need to give the first stencil color time cure before I lay down the next color. Even with all of the photos that I took, the playfield is still a bit of a jigsaw puzzle to put back together. Thanks to all that have gone before me and offered their insight on Pinside; It makes the job a lot easier!

20161028_231035 (resized).jpg
20161030_140426 (resized).jpg
20161030_131833 (resized).jpg
20161030_111535 (resized).jpg

20161028_230733 (resized).jpg

#902 3 years ago
Quoted from Teddy:

My first post on Pinside.com!
I finally started to restore my EBD over the summer. I spent whatever time I could between work, family, vacations, etc. taking a million pictures of the game and ripping every component off the playfield. I had a Bally NOS playfield that I bought about 15 years ago and ordered the cabinet stencils from Pinball Pimp. All of the hardware went into the polisher, I rebuilt the flippers and replaced the coils as well. We've had some nice warm days here in Maryland so before it gets too cold to paint in the garage, I devoted some time to prepping the cabinet. I started with 80 grit, then 120 and finished with 220 and gave the cabinet 4 coats with 220 in between. Here are pictures of my progress so far...
I need to give the first stencil color time cure before I lay down the next color. Even with all of the photos that I took, the playfield is still a bit of a jigsaw puzzle to put back together. Thanks to all that have gone before me and offered their insight on Pinside; It makes the job a lot easier!

Keep up the great work.

#903 3 years ago

Not sure how many others use the High Scores function on Pinside, but I like to keep track of my scores using it. I have a dilemma when it comes to my EBD scores....

I have an '84 classic edition...I noticed there are only a few scores listed there. Looking at the original 81, there are many more scores. All theee versions have its own high scores list.

Since the game plays the same on all three versions, where should I put my scores to have a good gauge of how I compare to other players of EBD?

#904 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Not sure how many others use the High Scores function on Pinside, but I like to keep track of my scores using it. I have a dilemma when it comes to my EBD scores....
I have an '84 classic edition...I noticed there are only a few scores listed there. Looking at the original 81, there are many more scores. All theee versions have its own high scores list.
Since the game plays the same on all three versions, where should I put my scores to have a good gauge of how I compare to other players of EBD?

I personally would just put your score up on the correct version I assume, or all 3? Wish they had just one High Score list since yes, they do the play the same.

#905 3 years ago

Officially an EBD member as of a few weeks ago. It has red finned posts on it. I have heard mention of the blue posts fading to a pinkish color, but these a bright red. Interesting...think I am going to keep it "as is"
IMG_2026 (resized).JPG

#906 3 years ago

Welcome. More members the better. I like the reds. It's "different" I'd keep 'em. I rejoined the club in April, and still haven't posted pictures? Suppose I should..

#907 3 years ago

3 ball or 5 ball?

#908 3 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Officially an EBD member as of a few weeks ago. It has red finned posts on it. I have heard mention of the blue posts fading to a pinkish color, but these a bright red. Interesting...think I am going to keep it "as is"

The red looks good! Brightens up the game a bit. I think if i were to change mine from Blue, it would be Yellow or Orange.

#909 3 years ago

MY SOUND ISSUE???

My EBD sometimes has moments of no sounds when my credits roll up after a ball drain. Is this normal? I'm thinking it is normal because I have changed sound cards, sound chips and sound files, but it never changes. Just curious...

My game still plays awesome!

#910 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

MY SOUND ISSUE???
My EBD sometimes has moments of no sounds when my credits roll up after a ball drain. Is this normal? I'm thinking it is normal because I have changed sound cards, sound chips and sound files, but it never changes. Just curious...
My game still plays awesome!

Not sure what you mean about credits rolling up after a ball drain? You mean points assume? like drop targets collected. Mine doesn't have moments of no sounds. Unless you roll the targets, and are on the 2nd or 3rd time through, then yes, there is a pause in between the 1st, 2nd and beyond in the countdown of pts. That make sense?

#911 3 years ago

Correct. Bonus points when the ball drains. I will sometimes have a moment of silence while the points are rolling up and then the sound will kick in before the points update is finished. I will have to try and get a video of it happening.

PS. Credit roll up comes from the slot machine side of me!

#912 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

Correct. Bonus points when the ball drains. I will sometimes have a moment of silence while the points are rolling up and then the sound will kick in before the points update is finished. I will have to try and get a video of it happening.
PS. Credit roll up comes from the slot machine side of me!

Kind of hard to say without seeing and hearing it. I know my current original EBD, not my 1st one, counts down the points probably twice as fast as my 1st one. Not sure why? Different ROMs or different sound board? Liked it better on my 1st one though. Counts too fast now

#913 3 years ago

Has anyone done anything with custom music on their EBD? I picked one up recently that will need a bit of work and was thinking of doing something with an MP3 trigger that I bought ages ago. My first thoughts are to keep the original sounds and voice, switch off the Bally back ground noise (as it doesn't really suit) and maybe have it play rag time music (The Entertainer, Maple Leaf Rag etc) until you hit the saucer behind the 8 ball then have it change to something completely inappropriate like......The Prodigy

#914 3 years ago
Quoted from ronsplooter:

Has anyone done anything with custom music on their EBD?

Yes, LTD over 35+ years ago.

#915 3 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Yes, LTD over 35+ years ago.

That is pretty cool

#916 3 years ago

Finished the Pinball Pimp stencil on the cabinet. Really stoked with how well it turned out!
I'll finish the head this weekend.

20161103_205005 (resized).jpg

#917 3 years ago

VERY nice indeed..

#918 3 years ago

Ebd woodie. 1 year in the making. Seek peek pics. Waiting on custom backglass but this is the topper in progress.

20160716_080315 (resized).jpg

20160913_135455 (resized).jpg

Resized_20161020_173835 (resized).jpg

#919 3 years ago

Nicely Done.

Quoted from Teddy:

Finished the Pinball Pimp stencil on the cabinet. Really stoked with how well it turned out!
I'll finish the head this weekend.

#920 3 years ago
Quoted from dragdaily12:

Ebd woodie. 1 year in the making. Seek peek pics. Waiting on custom backglass but this is the topper in progress.

Wow....didn't see that coming. Very nice thanks for sharing, looking forward to completion

1 week later
#921 2 years ago

Tech question...the ball eject coil is firing on the EBD, but the lever not hitting hard enough for ball to make it to the shooter lane. Pushing it manually, it doesn't seem to be binding up at all. Just like the coil not firing strong enough. I've read either the coil fires or doesn't if it's bad. What could cause this?

#922 2 years ago

Tech question...the ball eject coil is firing on the EBD, but the lever not hitting hard enough for ball to make it to the shooter lane. Pushing it manually, it doesn't seem to be binding up at all. Just like the coil not firing strong enough. I've read either the coil fires or doesn't if it's bad. What could cause this?

Maybe the spring is worn out or is the wrong kind. I'd look there.

#923 2 years ago

Make sure all the screws are tight. Ensure the entire assembly is rigid to the play field. Even though it does not appear to be binding, it never hurts to pull the nylon tube and give it and the ram a cleaning with a rag and some 97% alcohol. Also, you may want to (carefully!) check the voltage on the solenoid. Just some thoughts and good luck!

#924 2 years ago

Other symptoms....
- multiplier inline drop targets not popping up
- pop bumpers sometimes fire when left flipper hit and ball not near them
- ball 2 drops before first ball plunged when first ball goes to eject
- upper saucer not ejecting when ball goes into it
- all displays showing ghosting of some digits
- GI dims when flippers hit

I'm thinking something going on with the boards? Game worked great for about 50 plays after being serviced. Now it's getting all kinds of buggy stuff happening. The game did sit idle for a number of years. I paid a well know board guy to go through everything and he said all checked out great. New cap. Soders reflowed. Etc

#925 2 years ago

Spring good. All tight to playfield. No broken connections to coil. Cleaned sleeve and all. Still same issue on the kicker. Just very weak

#926 2 years ago

I would start checking all of the test points on the boards for proper voltages. Also at the solenoids.

Common problem on Bally classic s/s games. Lots of theories, no real solutions.

#927 2 years ago

Other symptoms....
- multiplier inline drop targets not popping up
- ball 2 drops before first ball plunged when first ball goes to eject
- upper saucer not ejecting when ball goes into it
- all displays showing ghosting of some digits
- GI dims when flippers hit
I'm thinking something going on with the boards? Game worked great for about 50 plays after being serviced. Now it's getting all kinds of buggy stuff happening. The game did sit idle for a number of years. I paid a well know board guy to go through everything and he said all checked out great. New cap. Soders reflowed. Etc

Check the solenoid expander for cracked solder joints and repin the connector if necessary.

#928 2 years ago

If you have not re-pinned all of the connectors, I would do so. Very tedious work, but will save you from chasing problems in the long run.
Been there, done that on several -35 Bally pins. Super common problem area.

#929 2 years ago

This has been well documented now, several fixes exist. Check this post here. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumper-fires-with-flipper-activity/page/4#post-2401719

Beyond that list if you had a way of cleaning your harness of the carbon powder these machines fill up on over the years the problem would go away.

#930 2 years ago

I'm looking for an EBD, if anyone has one they want to sell, please hit me up. Can't wait to join the club!

#931 2 years ago

Update: reseated all connectors and all the little gremlins seem to have disappeared...but new problem. None of the displays are working. Which connector is responsible? Has to be a connector??

#932 2 years ago

Update: reseated all connectors and all the little gremlins seem to have disappeared...but new problem. None of the displays are working. Which connector is responsible? Has to be a connector??

Temporary fix at best. Repin all

1 week later
#933 2 years ago

I am looking to buy a high quality Eight Ball Deluxe Playfield. Anyone have one for sale? Would like a CPR or equivalent playfield. Please send me a message if you have one for sale or know where I can get one. Thanks.

#934 2 years ago

You need to replace all of them.

#935 2 years ago

Mine restoration completed !
It play fast and brutal, sometimes games can be short
There's no way to play 20 min with one quarter !!

Led's only for the backglass to save it from the heat, incandescent bulbs for the beauty on the rest of the playfield.

IMG_6304 (resized).JPG
IMG_6302 (resized).JPG

IMG_6303 (resized).JPG

#936 2 years ago

Totally agree with you on the incandescent bulbs, I don't understand why people put leds in old Bally/Williams games. They usually look just terrible. I can see putting them in the backglass area and maybe some inserts but for general illumination JUST DON"T DO IT.

#937 2 years ago
Quoted from Off-Kilter:

Totally agree with you on the incandescent bulbs, I don't understand why people put leds in old Bally/Williams games. They usually look just terrible. I can see putting them in the backglass area and maybe some inserts but for general illumination JUST DON"T DO IT.

My EBD Looked exactly the same as the above picture and it was all LEDs. It's possible to make it look nice IMO.

#938 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

My EBD Looked exactly the same as the above picture and it was all LEDs. It's possible to make it look nice IMO.

Agree. Most of my topside has cool white LED's, and it looks great IMO. My 1st EBD I had all incandescent bulbs, I like it better on my 2nd one with LEDs. Personal choice is all it is. Depends on what you use, and where you put them too.. my .02

#939 2 years ago
Quoted from Off-Kilter:

I used Comet Sunlight LEDs in my Xenon, looks great. For warmer colored playfields/plastics I would probably stick with incandescents, but as chuck said, it is possible to make them look good with the right LEDs.

#940 2 years ago

EBD is a title you can actually get enough light on most of the playfield from it's insert placement. Must be the scattered pool ball configuration that helps that along. Fathom is really dark in the lower middle as an example....not EBD. What a classic!

#941 2 years ago

Started making the custom wood apron.

20161201_174058 (resized).jpg

#942 2 years ago
Quoted from dragdaily12:

Awfully nice. Looks great..

#943 2 years ago

Very nice indeed..and I WAS feeling good about re-rubberized mine today with clear in place of the old white onesimage (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

#944 2 years ago

Another 1981 EBD restoration completed... a ground up restoration of the playfield and cabinet. The electronics are solid (this game has been in my family for 20 years) so I left everything in the head alone. It has the original Margaret Hudson back-glass too.

I bought a parts polisher and playfield rotisserie to make the job easier. Loved the way everything came out of the parts polisher looking like new!

My strategy going in was that if a part looked worn and I could replace it, I did.

-Rebuilt the flippers with new bats, bushings, springs, etc.
-New coils for everything where it matters (flippers, slingshots, pop bumpers)
-Completely refinished the cabinet and head with Pinball Pimp stencils and re-painted the legs.
-Restored the apron to original artwork
-NOS Bally playfield
-New drop targets
-New power regulator board (the old one worked but looked heat stressed)
-New pop bumper bodies
-New plastics
-New rubbers
-New grounding braid
-New flipper buttons
-New side rails
-New pinball (of course!)

I started this project in April and worked it in my spare time. It was a thrill to get it back together and power it up after being totally disassembled and hear "Eight Ball Deluxe!" boom out of the speaker.

20161130_125937 (resized).jpg

20161201_204840 (resized).jpg

20161201_204823 (resized).jpg

20161201_204610 (resized).jpg

20161201_204832 (resized).jpg

20161201_204601 (resized).jpg

20161201_205300 (resized).jpg

#945 2 years ago
Quoted from dragdaily12:

I want to see a unique special backglass in this machine.
It would top off this restoration in wood grain.
I always applaud creativity when done in good taste.

#946 2 years ago

All transparent plastics are home made with polycarbonate, they won't break anymore.
The originals and repros are weak and badly designed.
I modify them slightly for the ball not to pass over the eight ball bonus, the ball is captured 100% for the bonus even if it come very fast.
Made plastic protector where the plastic set broke usually and specially near the 1 ball target.
Inline transparent plastics adjusted for the ball not to bump on the flippers, it make a lot better ball flow and more precise shots, more enjoyable games.
All inserts were sanded to remove cracks, rescreened and reglue, they are shinny transparent now.
SDB 5v and HV restored with new parts, all cold solders reflow, cap kit for the sound boards.
EBD is very reliable and very enjoyable

IMG_6305 (resized).JPG
IMG_6304 (resized).JPG
IMG_6307 (resized).JPG
IMG_6303 (resized).JPG
IMG_6306 (resized).JPG
IMG_6309 (resized).JPG
IMG_6308 (resized).JPG
IMG_6310 (resized).JPG
IMG_6301 (resized).JPG
IMG_6302 (resized).JPG

#947 2 years ago

Very nice HPR...thanks for sharing pictures. Gorgeous machine.

#948 2 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

All transparent plastics are home made with polycarbonate, they won't brake anymore.

Brake?

#949 2 years ago

Yeah sorry for my less than perfect english, corrected !

#950 2 years ago

I just got a EBD. When i got it home and turned it on, no power. Completely dead. I borrowed my fathers EBD transformer and power board. Mine now comes on, but will not play a game. Any ideas? No sound, no displays, won't start a game and no sound..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 149.00
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, OH
There are 2388 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 48.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside