IMG_2238 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8271 (resized).JPG
IMG_8132 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error3.png
EBD_SwitchMatrix_error2.png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,666 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 114.
#751 7 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

I'm hoping someone can save me some (more) digging with the part number and/or source for the trough switch for EBD. I think someone filed it down previously and its finally given up.
tia

I just used a basic NO switch for mine. I think they were from Big Daddy's.

#752 7 years ago

Some people replace the contacts. I ain't one of them, but some people do. I'll see if I have the number somewhere handy, but it's a long shot.

#753 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I just used a basic NO switch for mine. I think they were from Big Daddy's.

That makes it easy...thanks. Did yours come with a diode? If not, you know which diode they use?

#754 7 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

That makes it easy...thanks. Did yours come with a diode? If not, you know which diode they use?

I just reused the same diode.

#755 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I just reused the same diode.

I'd look to replace it in this case as its at least old if not suspect as a cause for the switch failure.

#756 7 years ago

Switch diodes are 1N4148. The coil diodes are 1N4004 and the caps on all of it are .05MFD.

#757 7 years ago
Quoted from maestro:

Okay, I stripped my playfield for a cleaning. Didn't realize there are two different height posts. Now I don't know which ones go where. "Doh!"
Can anyone help me out here?

The 9 short posts go where the plastics do not screw through them... ie, the 22 tall posts are used where the plastics sit directly on the post and screw goes through both.

Most of the short ones go around the pop bumpers.

Also short ones go UNDER the plastics where the post is screwed directly (not through the playfield plastics)

Hope that makes sense.

#758 7 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

The 9 short posts go where the plastics do not screw through them... ie, the 22 tall posts are used where the plastics sit directly on the post and screw goes through both.

I can send pics if you need more help.

#759 7 years ago

What lights the corner pocket special? Best I can figure is 4 deluxes? But it doesn't do it every time. The manual I have (yellow) seems to have some typos in the game settings. Anyone else notice this?

I know there are different ROMs. Let's have a discussion about ROMs and rules...

Anybody else confused?

#760 7 years ago

I can send pics if you need more help.

Pics would be great. Just indicate locations of the shorties if that makes it easier.

I have no idea about how to light corner pocket special. My machine is down for now or I'd try it myself. I got repro plastics last week and found out the clear ones got the flipper lanes are not the right shape or have the holes in the right spot. Apparently this is the way things are and no one makes a proper one. Fortunately I have one good one I can go by and ma making my own next week. I bought a sheet of lexan and ordered a scroll saw. Wish me luch.

#761 7 years ago

What lights the corner pocket special? Best I can figure is 4 deluxes? But it doesn't do it every time. The manual I have (yellow) seems to have some typos in the game settings. Anyone else notice this?
I know there are different ROMs. Let's have a discussion about ROMs and rules...
Anybody else confused?

Hitting the 8 ball target advances the corner pocket value towards special.
Making A-B-C-D also advances the corner pocket value.

#762 7 years ago
Quoted from maestro:

Pics would be great. Just indicate locations of the shorties if that makes it easier.
I have no idea about how to light corner pocket special. My machine is down for now or I'd try it myself. I got repro plastics last week and found out the clear ones got the flipper lanes are not the right shape or have the holes in the right spot. Apparently this is the way things are and no one makes a proper one. Fortunately I have one good one I can go by and ma making my own next week. I bought a sheet of lexan and ordered a scroll saw. Wish me luch.

These pics show the short posts. On the right, under the plastic where the screws don't go through (5). On the left (3), and one under the bottom side (flipper end) of the "deluxe targets score 3000" plastic (middle right playfield).

I don't have documentation for this, but it makes sense as to the plastics/height requirements.

IMG_8590_(resized).PNGIMG_8590_(resized).PNG

IMG_8591_(resized).PNGIMG_8591_(resized).PNG

IMG_8592_(resized).PNGIMG_8592_(resized).PNG

IMG_8593_(resized).PNGIMG_8593_(resized).PNG

#763 7 years ago
Quoted from maestro:

I bought a sheet of lexan and ordered a scroll saw. Wish me luch.

Any chance you'd make an extra set and throw them in the mail for me? I don't need the holes drilled, just the plastic cut to the correct shape.

#764 7 years ago

Photos post touch up and clear coat. Don't be too critical... I didn't do ANYTHING with the inserts, and I know they're not perfect. But it's shiny and smooth. Plays well.

Fighting a couple of issues after putting it together. But it's coming along.

FullSizeRender_(resized).jpgFullSizeRender_(resized).jpg

IMG_8532_(resized).JPGIMG_8532_(resized).JPG

#765 7 years ago

Photos post touch up and clear coat. Don't be too critical... I didn't do ANYTHING with the inserts, and I know they're not perfect. But it's shiny and smooth. Plays well.
Fighting a couple of issues after putting it together. But it's coming along.

Plays well is the important part. Enjoy this fantastic pin. Still my all time favorite.

#766 7 years ago

i got an offer for a le version. was told it works without sound, cab looks ok not great, pf has some wear but not as bad as most i have seen. what would be a fair price for this? i have been an em guy for a few years but i can repair SS without a problem.

#767 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i got an offer for a le version. was told it works without sound, cab looks ok not great, pf has some wear but not as bad as most i have seen. what would be a fair price for this? i have been an em guy for a few years but i can repair SS without a problem.

here are a few pics

20160722_185820_(resized).jpeg20160722_185820_(resized).jpeg

20160722_185837_(resized).jpeg20160722_185837_(resized).jpeg

20160722_185904_(resized).jpeg20160722_185904_(resized).jpeg

#768 7 years ago

I'd say 500. If the sound board cannot be repaired, not sure how hard those are to find, but there is no aftermarket option that I know of.

#769 7 years ago

Hey guys. I'm taking a few minutes to re-rubber the EBD and am finding a few of the posts to be pretty wobbly once the old rings are removed. What's the best practice approach to fixing these? We used to fill the holes w/ plastic wood or sawdust/ Elmer's combo then redrill. Any better ways ? Tnx..

#770 7 years ago
Quoted from DocGar:

Hey guys. I'm taking a few minutes to re-rubber the EBD and am finding a few of the posts to be pretty wobbly once the old rings are removed. What's the best practice approach to fixing these? We used to fill the holes w/ plastic wood or sawdust/ Elmer's combo then redrill. Any better ways ? Tnx..

I make a mixture of saw dust and wood glue til it's the consistency of tuna salad (actually looks like it too). Then I use a very small flat head screw driver and plug the hole the post sits over. Wipe away the excess that's around the hole, let it sit over night, then put the post back. Should be able to make it as tight as you want.

#771 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I bought mine in similar condition. No sound or keys so I never saw the boards. I paid 900 but he was a friend or I would have settled at 800 tops.

#772 7 years ago
Quoted from Nveld:

I bought mine in similar condition. No sound or keys so I never saw the boards. I paid 900 but he was a friend or I would have settled at 800 tops.

i made an offer of 500. we'll see if they accept.

#773 7 years ago

EBD "Classic" #527 full color cabinet repaint complete with clear coating.
11 color backbox, 7 color lower cabinet.
Playfield photo was from an older posting.
Photos were shot with my phone, so this was a quickie.

A few black clear coat touch ups, and the game gets folded and put back in storage.

Tools used were predominantly, stencils, painters tape, french curves, protractor, multiple brush types, steady hand, and patience.
Paints used were oil, acrylic, and enamel, based on what I was trying to accomplish with nature of work, and the need to ensure ability to correct if a mistake was made.
Enamel was used for base coats.

Not being color blind was another advantage.

EBD1R.jpgEBD1R.jpg
EBD2L.jpgEBD2L.jpg
EBD3.jpgEBD3.jpg

EBDPF.jpgEBDPF.jpg

#774 7 years ago

^^^^^Looks great

#775 7 years ago

EBD restoration is going very well ! I will screen the inserts very soon.

IMG_6310_(resized).JPGIMG_6310_(resized).JPG

#776 7 years ago

Any chance you'd make an extra set and throw them in the mail for me? I don't need the holes drilled, just the plastic cut to the correct shape.

Been on vacation so just now getting back here. Darn right I will. PM me your address. I'm still out of town til early next week but then I should get set up to do it. This is going to be my first time trying this and I hope it turns out good. Anyway there is no choice in the matter.

It looks like you have a couple of warped plastics. On a good sunny day take them things and put them between two playfield glasses and leave them outside in the sunlight. I did that with mine and it flattened them out nicely.

#777 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i made an offer of 500. we'll see if they accept.

If they take 500 jump all over it. I rebuilt my sound board with a kit from big daddy. It was cheap and not that hard so long as you have decent soldering skills and a solder sucker. Otherwise if its a sound board issue there are some fine folks on here you can ship your board to who do good work and can get it up to snuff for you. Don't worry about the play field wear. Most of these old games have that. Get it playing good and enjoy.

#778 7 years ago

Screening done.
Here's a before and after pic

IMG_6302_(resized).JPGIMG_6302_(resized).JPG

IMG_6303_(resized).JPGIMG_6303_(resized).JPG

#779 7 years ago

Did a search but could not find out how to disable the attract mode. Is it possible?

#780 7 years ago

I like the custom color paint on the cabinet.

#781 7 years ago
Quoted from Farmboss:

Did a search but could not find out how to disable the attract mode. Is it possible?

What do you mean? The attract sounds can def be turned off. You want the light show to be turned off too?

#782 7 years ago

No I am just trying to turn off the voice, not sure how it is done.

#783 7 years ago
Quoted from Farmboss:

No I am just trying to turn off the voice, not sure how it is done.

Check the manual on ipdb.org. I cannot pull it up right now. Internet is messed. Should be an adjustment in the menus or a dip switch setting.

#784 7 years ago

I'm still looking for inlane plastics if anyone has a resource. Got the rest of the machine put back together, and for now I'm just using the metal guides lowered with no plastics beneath them. A little janky though.

#785 7 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

Screening done.
Here's a before and after pic

That's a pretty amazing restore. What method did you use?

Mine isn't quite as bad as yours, but there's some wear around the balls, both sets, and in the blue area. I need this done to mine since the EBD reproduction playfields have once again filled up, without me knowing about it.

#786 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm still looking for inlane plastics if anyone has a resource. Got the rest of the machine put back together, and for now I'm just using the metal guides lowered with no plastics beneath them. A little janky though.

I replaced my old ones with the ones that came in the last repro set that came out. (And had to sand the @#%$ out of them to make 'em work right.) I don't know what shape they're in, but I could take a look and throw up a pic. If you want 'em I'll give them to you for postage.

#787 7 years ago
Quoted from TrainH2o:

That's a pretty amazing restore. What method did you use?
Mine isn't quite as bad as yours, but there's some wear around the balls, both sets, and in the blue area. I need this done to mine since the EBD reproduction playfields have once again filled up, without me knowing about it.

Thanks for the comments, more details from this restoration at this local forum from my region:
http://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=19691

#789 7 years ago

That poor thing has seen a lot of love!

#790 7 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

Thanks for the comments, more details from this restoration at this local forum from my region:

Thanks for the link. Truly amazing work, especially since you hand-painted your retouching.

The fact that you could go in and repaint all the yellowed white areas, is especially impressive.

Here's a shot of mine, but I have no retouching skills.

IMG_1281_(resized).JPGIMG_1281_(resized).JPG

#791 7 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

Debile!
Do you paint larger areas of solid color with brush or airbrush?

#792 7 years ago
Quoted from kursiv:

Debile!
Do you paint larger areas of solid color with brush or airbrush?

Thanks for your comments !
I use high viscosity acrylic paint and add just enough water for the paint to flow on the playfield using a brush.
That way i can work very precise and respect the integrity of the artwork. When the paint dry, it make an almost flat surface with no brush marks. I use this method for a long time and it works pretty well.

#793 7 years ago

Requires a steady hand.

#794 7 years ago

Quoted from Aurich:

I just got done making these today. The ones I received in my plastic kit are junk. I am making these myself by hand and test fitted it. Works great so far. I'm not going into business here, I have a good career already, but if anyone is interested maybe we can work something out. I'm more interested in keeping our EBD's rolling and preserved than making lots of money.

PM me if interested.

Keep in mind I am making these with hand tools so no two will be exactly alike or machine perfect. I think they are very presentable especially looking at what our options are. If that is acceptable get in touch with me and we'll see what we can do.

20160802_150422_(resized).jpg20160802_150422_(resized).jpg
20160802_145831_(resized).jpg20160802_145831_(resized).jpg

#795 7 years ago

Joe Kace at Laserific could crank on these clear plastic inlanes. He has the proper laser cutter, no handwork. Whatever thickness required acrylic or PETG, within reason. I did not realize they were so problematic. He did "one shots" for me on other games, which protectors will never exist.

#796 7 years ago

What makes the pop bumper caps blink individually?

My old aux lamp driver had a burned trace (pop bumper), replaced it, and I still only get the upper left pop bumper to flash individually after getting A/B/C/D the first time.

I can't figure out what makes the others flash individually. I assume point increase?

Thanks for any help.

#797 7 years ago

Each additional time you complete ABCD another pop bumper starts flashing.

#798 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Each additional time you complete ABCD another pop bumper starts flashing.

That's what I thought.

Mine lights first pop (upper left) after first A/B/C/D.

Then the NEXT TWO pops don't flash until A/B/C/D is competed for the third time.

Time to check wiring.

#799 7 years ago

I'm assuming the original EBD and EBD LE playfields are identical and interchangeable.

Is this correct? Thanks.

#800 7 years ago
Quoted from TrainH2o:

I'm assuming the original EBD and EBD LE playfields are identical and interchangeable.
Is this correct? Thanks.

Wiring harness is the the same but it's possible to modify it to be interchangeable.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
There are 5,666 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 114.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.