Topic Stats

• 2,466 posts
  • 278 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by phillyfan64
  • Topic is favorited by 122 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 837 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ebd paint (resized).jpg
WP_000090 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191222_180254 (resized).jpg
PC220113 (resized).JPG
D297576E-4159-42E8-8C3A-3779DDE7026C (resized).png
20191210_173622.jpg
20191204_191656.jpg
IMG_6858 (resized).jpg
IMG_6861 (resized).jpg
IMG_6860 (resized).jpg
IMG_6859 (resized).jpg
IMG_6857 (resized).jpg
IMG_6856 (resized).jpg
IMG_6854 (resized).jpg
IMG_6855 (resized).jpg
IMG_6853 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2466 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 50.
#701 3 years ago
Quoted from JonH123:

I picked up a nice original over the weekend. Just trying to find out if I got a good deal.
The cab has either been repainted or it's original in near perfect condition. The playfield is a 9 out of 10. I guess I won't need the repro playfield that I bought. All the electronics were gone over/updated and the legs look new. The only bad thing is the back glass is peeling with some cracked and missing paint spots by the eight ball. I paid $2500. I just need to find a better backglass.

Fair deal on your EBD IMO. I MAY be interested in that repo PF you have?

#702 3 years ago

Hello all, I just bought a player's EBD 2 weeks ago, as seems to be the trend lately I buy a game, it comes to my house and takes a big dump.

I'm trying to get the sound working again. Can someone post up a few pics of connector J1? It's the 18-pin connector along the bottom. Look how nice mine was before I re-did it. lol

J1_Before_Rewire_(resized).jpg

#703 3 years ago

I have one for sale for 875 if anyone is interested. thanks

#704 3 years ago

Looking to buy a restored EBD. Anyone looking to sell theirs? Please PM. Thanks

#705 3 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Hello all, I just bought a player's EBD 2 weeks ago, as seems to be the trend lately I buy a game, it comes to my house and takes a big dump.
I'm trying to get the sound working again. Can someone post up a few pics of connector J1? It's the 18-pin connector along the bottom. Look how nice mine was before I re-did it. lol

Why not just use the manual schematic to crosscheck the wiring?
The color coding is on the page along with locations.

If you do not have one, download the pdf.
The reason I say this is you should check ALL connectors on the sound board anyway when upgrading to MOLEX.

#706 3 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Why not just use the manual schematic to crosscheck the wiring?
The color coding is on the page along with locations.
If you do not have one, download the pdf.
The reason I say this is you should check ALL connectors on the sound board anyway when upgrading to MOLEX.

I did this, but the manual shows there should be wires in pin slots 16 and 17, which I don't have. I was told that the wiring diagrams in the manuals are copied over from other games and not always accurate. All of my other wires do match up with the manual though.

#707 3 years ago

Hi all, I received the repro plastics from Pinball Heaven.

Where does this piece go? It wasn't on my machine before, and I can't figure out where it's supposed to go. Haven't started putting it together as I'm still waiting on LEDs to arrive... maybe when it's going together it will be obvious, but I haven't found a home for it yet.

Thanks!

IMG_8399_(resized).JPG

#708 3 years ago

It's not used on 8 ball deluxe.

Both sets of new plastics I received had that pice included.

It's not used...pitch it

#709 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

It's not used...pitch it

Weird... thanks for the head's up. Funny thing is one of the pieces that IS used was not included in the kit. Working with pinball heaven to sort that out. As well as the inlane plastics holes drilled incorrectly.

Plastic_missing_(resized).jpg

inlane_difference_(resized).JPG

#711 3 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

Weird... thanks for the head's up. Funny thing is one of the pieces that IS used was not included in the kit. Working with pinball heaven to sort that out. As well as the inlane plastics holes drilled incorrectly.

I had the same problem when I bought both of my plastic sets from BAA a while back. They sent me the missing plastics for free though.

#712 3 years ago

Hi all, I received the repro plastics from Pinball Heaven.
Where does this piece go? It wasn't on my machine before, and I can't figure out where it's supposed to go. Haven't started putting it together as I'm still waiting on LEDs to arrive... maybe when it's going together it will be obvious, but I haven't found a home for it yet.
Thanks!

That is for the corner pocket (eight ball target) left side clear lane that was used on some machines. Most had the multi curved piece with grooves for the ball around the target an pinch point at the top saucer from the factory. Those that did not used this piece, with different drill holes. I cannot tell you how many had the variations, as I have only only seen a couple with this style.

#713 3 years ago

Was at a auction a few weekends ago and out of now where this EBD unadvertised is there . Wow my lucky day right really nice every thing trouble was the dumbass auctioners left everything outside overnight and 2 inches of rain falls when the guys place had 5 garages and a big shed .The cab wood started exspanding and decals were pealing waterbehind backglass , plastics were warping from heat of the day no keys to check inside check inside so bid it up and let it go at 480 . It would have been a super nice project but didnt want to deal with the damage

image_(resized).jpeg

#714 3 years ago

wow...

How can some people be SO stupid.

Looks like a nice machine.

#715 3 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

This is my J1 when I got my EBD Classic back about 5 months ago after 12 years being gone.
Looks like when I originally restored the game I did not have an 18 pin MOLEX connector after rebuilding the board.
I am pretty sure this is what it looked like back in 2004.

For reference, this game is using a Squawk and Talk P2948-446 AS2518-61 Rev D board.
Your game may be using a different revision, but essentially they are the same, with reliability improvements.

The individual that mashed up your J1 did not have a proper IDC tool, and used a flat head screwdriver.
I am not going to comment on the use of solder to splice wires together as a "method", as it should be apparent regarding my opinion.

20160629_171943.jpg

#716 3 years ago

This is my J1 when I got my EBD Classic back about 5 months ago after 12 years being gone.
Looks like when I originally restored the game I did not have an 18 pin MOLEX connector after rebuilding the board.
I am pretty sure this is what it looked like back in 2004.
For reference, this game is using a Squawk and Talk P2948-446 AS2518-61 Rev D board.
Your game may be using a different revision, but essentially they are the same, with reliability improvements.
The individual that mashed up your J1 did not have a proper IDC tool, and used a flat head screwdriver.
I am not going to comment on the use of solder to splice wires together as a "method", as it should be apparent regarding my opinion.

Thanks for the pic. From your pic and a couple other posts it looks like EBD doesn't run wires in connector spot 16 and 17, I was told these are "hardwired" on the board.

#717 3 years ago

Hi all. I am looking to find a rebuild kit for an EBD. Can anyone suggest where to buy a flipper rebuild kit that can convert the Linear Flipper to the more traditional WPC Flipper assembly?

#718 3 years ago

Anyone have any idea what you'd value a fully populated EBD playfield at? Some wear, but fully complete.

#719 3 years ago
Quoted from ejacques:

Anyone have any idea what you'd value a fully populated EBD playfield at? Some wear, but fully complete.

Do you have any pics?
That would help.
I saw a decent one on ebay for around $900 and it was on there for a long time.

#720 3 years ago

Looking for an NOS or CPR playfield for my just acquired 8BD...... Can't wait for the dirty ugly beast to arrive hopefully next week!

#721 3 years ago

I'm looking for an 8 ball deluxe back glass if anyone has a spare. NOS or repro.

#722 3 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Hi all. I am looking to find a rebuild kit for an EBD. Can anyone suggest where to buy a flipper rebuild kit that can convert the Linear Flipper to the more traditional WPC Flipper assembly?

Vid has a really nice tutorial for an alternate to linear flippers. Type in "Vid's flipper rebuild" and you should find his thread. There is a section dedicated specifically to this subject.

I will say I just rebuilt my flippers with the linear style and it cost 30$ a flipper with parts from pbresource.com (probably the cheapest parts you'll find). The WPC flipper rebuild kits are probably half that much. I kinda wish I would have gone a different route, but wanted to remain original.

Oh, and if/when you call Steve at Pbresource.... don't tell him you're converting. You WILL get yelled at. He's an originalist.

#723 3 years ago
Quoted from doghouse:

Looking for an NOS or CPR playfield for my just acquired 8BD...... Can't wait for the dirty ugly beast to arrive hopefully next week!

If you find one, I may be interested in your original playfield. Let me know.

Also, good luck. They are hard to come by. Patience is key.

#724 3 years ago

Anybody have any quality game card stock files for printing?

Any custom ones out there? I use the 3 ball settings, if you happen to have the file.

#725 3 years ago

Anybody have any quality game card stock files for printing?
Any custom ones out there? I use the 3 ball settings, if you happen to have the file.

Looks like the stock ones are here.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=Right+ball+deluxe&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

#726 3 years ago

Anyone know which version I have?
I guess there are multiple different ones and i'm not sure which one I have for the replacement back glass that I need.

acb16223a9a08ea07323fba7b32af7d6c8ad787b_(resized).jpg

c772b852c1e2680bb5a347307d9e0da58074cba3_(resized).jpg

#727 3 years ago
Quoted from JonH123:

Anyone know which version I have?
I guess there are multiple different ones and i'm not sure which one I have for the replacement back glass that I need.

Lift out backglass is the '81 version.

#728 3 years ago

Which version WPC flipper rebuild kit will work with EBD?

1 week later
#731 3 years ago

For those with LEDs, Did you install Alltek boards in both lamp driver AND auxiliary lamp driver boards?

Cointaker only sent the lamp driver board, wondering if the lights controlled by the auxiliary lamp driver board work correctly with LEDs without the Alltek board.

I'm troubleshooting some problems with my auxiliary lamp driver board, after I put the machine back together I got a short on a trace on the board so I will have to fix that at some point. But I'm wondering if I should order the new aux lamp driver board for the LEDs.

#732 3 years ago

Oh, and if/when you call Steve at Pbresource.... don't tell him you're converting. You WILL get yelled at. He's an originalist.

He's not the only one.

#733 3 years ago

For those with LEDs, Did you install Alltek boards in both lamp driver AND auxiliary lamp driver boards?

I have both in my 8BD

#734 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I have both in my 8BD

I have just the main board as alltek and my LEDs work fine throughout the whole game.

#735 3 years ago

Can someone send me a pic of their game that shows the placement of the posts in the top left corner?

I'm confused about the blue posts, I know the original machines had 22 tall and 9 short posts, but my machine during teardown had an extra post, I assume somebody swapped out with a metal post or something else. My hardware is not matching up and I think this area is the culprit.

Is there really supposed to be a post under the metal ball stop?

Thanks! Trying to return to original as much as possible.

IMG_8472_(resized).JPG

#736 3 years ago

Has anyone installed an Alltek Ultimate MPU in their Eight Ball deluxe?

I did today and noticed that some of the sounds are incorrect. My game loads up properly and all the sounds are correct up to that that point. Once I start a game some of the top rollover lane sounds are now chimes and the left rollover targets sound is incorrect.

I cleared the memory on the MPU board and made sure I have the correct dip switch settings for eight ball deluxe. This did not help. I put back my old MPU and the sounds were correct.

Any suggestions here?

Thanks,

Pete

#737 3 years ago

Never mind. I found an option in the book keeping that allows you to change chimes to sounds. Option 18 on the menu. Setting 3

#738 3 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Has anyone installed an Alltek Ultimate MPU in their Eight Ball deluxe?
I did today and noticed that some of the sounds are incorrect. My game loads up properly and all the sounds are correct up to that that point. Once I start a game some of the top rollover lane sounds are now chimes and the left rollover targets sound is incorrect.
I cleared the memory on the MPU board and made sure I have the correct dip switch settings for eight ball deluxe. This did not help. I put back my old MPU and the sounds were correct.
Any suggestions here?
Thanks,
Pete

This is not a hard MPU dipswitch setting, it is a game adjustment setting.
When you swapped MPU it reset the feature by default.
It is detailed in the manual.
This applies to nearly all early Bally games from 1978-1984.

Go to diagnostics.
Press red self test button to #18 in credit display.
Change setting to "03".
Cycle through remaining settings until reset.
Sounds restored.

Chimes actually sound better on some games, but not EBD.

#739 3 years ago

Is there really supposed to be a post under the metal ball stop?

The part is called a "left rebound ball gate with flap".
There is a blue post underneath the left side gate used during the ball plunge.
I have a tall blue post version installed, manual does not specify height.

#740 3 years ago

The part is called a "left rebound ball gate with flap".
There is a blue post underneath the left side gate used during the ball plunge.
I have a tall blue post version installed, manual does not specify height.

My manual (yellow cover) doesn't specify post locations. It also does not differentiate between metal or plastic posts. Any idea where one gets that info?

#741 3 years ago

This is not a hard MPU dipswitch setting, it is a game adjustment setting.
When you swapped MPU it reset the feature by default.
It is detailed in the manual.
This applies to nearly all early Bally games from 1978-1984.
Go to diagnostics.
Press red self test button to #18 in credit display.
Change setting to "03".
Cycle through remaining settings until reset.
Sounds restored.
Chimes actually sound better on some games, but not EBD.

Thanks for that. Still learning how these older Bally games work.

#742 3 years ago

My manual (yellow cover) doesn't specify post locations. It also does not differentiate between metal or plastic posts. Any idea where one gets that info?

Based on memory there are only two physical manuals for the game, the original '81 and '82 LE.
The '84 Classic used the original manual with a different Bally-Midway cover, even though there were wiring color differences.

Neither describes exact post height (or quantity), as you stated, which means it then has to be cross referenced BACK to the actual part in the Bally parts catalogs, sometimes that annotated the parts in a game specific fashion annotation.
That is how it was done during that period for "generic" parts, but was also done often even today with "master parts catalogs" used by Stern.
That is where the information is contained.

I have the parts manuals in my library, but I am trying to give you a direct link to pdf versions which just do not exist, if they were never scanned.

PPS has a version in its weird "book" website application.
Eight Ball Deluxe is the the 1981 Bally Parts Catalog.
The Bally "generic" one is not even listed for review.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=BOOK

Post Long is Bally Part No. C-952-7
Post Short is Bally Part No. C-951-7

If it somewhere else in reference, I have no other leads for the *factory* configuration, as the line up of the plastic height determines the height of the post required.
The data will not be contained in the generic catalog.
If the plastic (clear or screened) is "bending downwards" that mean you are using the wrong post height for that location.
EBD post height normally is determined by the clear plastics locations.
This is not relevant for the post under the left rebound ball gate flap as both work equally.

#743 3 years ago

Picking mine up today

If anyone has a CPR PF they want to sell, please let me know.

#744 3 years ago

Light Socket Troubles

So I have around 4 or 5 controller lamps that are not working. They have LEDs in them and I have the Alltek lamp driver board in there. I have tested the light socket on the first one by jumping from ground to the soldered tab on the socket when in lamp test mode. The light immediately goes on. So I think this must mean there is a continuity issue from socket to the board? I have tested continuity from the solder point on the socket (yellow GRN wire) to the IDC connector at the driver board and continuity is good. What else should I be doing to trouble shoot this? Could there be an issue with the lamp driver SCR?

Thanks,

Pete

image_(resized).jpeg

#745 3 years ago

Got her home

New_Pins_(resized).JPG

#746 3 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Could there be an issue with the lamp driver SCR?

Yes, most likely bad SCRs.

#747 3 years ago

Is there any way I can jump the SCR to officially confirm it is a bad SCR? How would I do that?

#748 3 years ago

SCR's are cheap. If you have a solder sucker and are confident with simple board work go ahead and replace it. I've had scr's do weird things. Once I had no power to a socket with the bulb in. Power was at the socket with the bulb out. I went ahead and replace the scr without further testing. Fixed my problem and saved me a lot of time.

#749 3 years ago

Okay, I stripped my playfield for a cleaning. Didn't realize there are two different height posts. Now I don't know which ones go where. "Doh!"

Can anyone help me out here?

#750 3 years ago

I'm hoping someone can save me some (more) digging with the part number and/or source for the trough switch for EBD. I think someone filed it down previously and its finally given up.

tia

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 149.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenixville, PA
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
There are 2466 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 50.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside