IMG_1787 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5706 (resized).JPG
7-Bank (resized).jpg
r2 (resized).jpg
Repair 05 (resized).jpg
IMG_1018 (resized).jpeg
20240305_191452 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 105 of 113.
#5201 10 months ago
Quoted from ROMM:

Can I use the 2 lead bayonet sockets (shown below) to change out the flakey plastic 555 sockets in the GI? Not quite sure how you wire the bayonet socket, as the mounting bracket is not connected to the bulb socket. I guess I would just need to connect the braid wire to the socket lead, and the other wire to the top-most lead? Some of the other insert fixtures in my EBD have the mounting bracket actually connecting to the socket, and the braid wire soldered to it, but the fixture in the pic below looks like the mounting bracket cannot be used in this fashion.
The reason I ask is because have have a bunch of the 2 lead fixtures like in the pic, and I was wondering if I could use them.[quoted image]

Your ground wire would have to go from tab to tab. You would need insulated wire. Lots of work with a final hacked up look. Just buy the new socketed boards and make it look professional for

Quoted from ROMM:

Can I use the 2 lead bayonet sockets (shown below) to change out the flakey plastic 555 sockets in the GI? Not quite sure how you wire the bayonet socket, as the mounting bracket is not connected to the bulb socket. I guess I would just need to connect the braid wire to the socket lead, and the other wire to the top-most lead? Some of the other insert fixtures in my EBD have the mounting bracket actually connecting to the socket, and the braid wire soldered to it, but the fixture in the pic below looks like the mounting bracket cannot be used in this fashion.
The reason I ask is because have have a bunch of the 2 lead fixtures like in the pic, and I was wondering if I could use them.[quoted image]

i recommend you not use them. They could work but they are too short and since the ground braid would need to go to each tab it would be a pain.

#5202 10 months ago

i recommend you not use them. They could work but they are too short and since the ground braid would need to go to each tab it would be a pain.

#5203 10 months ago
Quoted from ROMM:

The reason I ask is because have have a bunch of the 2 lead fixtures like in the pic, and I was wondering if I could use them.

You'd have to run a short jumper from one tab to the mounting bracket to maintain the original braid. Otherwise you could replace the braid with insulated wire and run point to point - very doable and slightly neater. Lots of work of course, I flip the playfield upside down on the cab with some 2x4's cut down to hold it up you don't want to do work like this with the PF vertical.

#5204 10 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

You'd have to run a short jumper from one tab to the mounting bracket to maintain the original braid. Otherwise you could replace the braid with insulated wire and run point to point - very doable and slightly neater. Lots of work of course, I flip the playfield upside down on the cab with some 2x4's cut down to hold it up you don't want to do work like this with the PF vertical.

Quoted from pindel:

Probably would look a bit hacked if I tried to implement them. I’ll take the advice and just order the correct 1 lead fixture. Looks like the A4762 would work good.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5205 10 months ago

This would be great—https://www.pinballlife.com/8-ball-deluxe-lamp-board-kit.html

This is the correct type for the socket option— https://www.pinballlife.com/miniature-bayonet-base-1-lead-socket-with-long-mounting-bracket.html

65089375-AACD-417A-B145-A1E0B850911F (resized).jpeg65089375-AACD-417A-B145-A1E0B850911F (resized).jpeg
#5206 10 months ago
Quoted from pindel:

This would be great—https://www.pinballlife.com/8-ball-deluxe-lamp-board-kit.html
This is the correct type for the socket option— https://www.pinballlife.com/miniature-bayonet-base-1-lead-socket-with-long-mounting-bracket.html[quoted image]

The mounting bracket is too long on those for the GI. The ones I have are perfect height, just 2 lead. See post 2103 of this thread

#5207 10 months ago

I'm in search of a 7 slot drop bank from an EBD. If anyone in here has an extra, I'm your guy...please pm me. Thanks!

#5208 10 months ago
Quoted from ROMM:

The mounting bracket is too long on those for the GI. The ones I have are perfect height, just 2 lead. See post 2103 of this thread

Sorry, that should work for gi. I was thinking about the controlled sockets.

#5209 10 months ago
Quoted from ROMM:

Be careful which sockets you use where clear plastics are involved. You want good clearance. I stay with the 555 only on gi to keep the original look top side pf. Once cleaned they are usually dependable.

#5210 10 months ago

Anybody in need of a playfield protector? $120.

#5211 10 months ago

Actually once they get old, bayonet sockets are flakier than 555 style.

Once the zinc plating starts to go it is all downhill from there.

1 week later
#5212 10 months ago

If anybody has the original white EBD bumper caps in their parts hoard, I'm very interested in buying if willing to sell. I'm hoping for NOS or very nice ones. I know the price won't be cheap. I have 3 NOS rings and 2 nice used ones.

I'm currently doing a mod to mimic the white caps. Thanks to KSUWildcatFan for coming up with this. Using decals and GTB pop bodies. Then I had the bumper base modified using 3D printing by another Pinsider. You may have seen this earlier in this thread.

At current, I'm doing 3 EBD restores. The first pre-sold game will be like the flyer, red ring posts and the white cap mod with black art. The second game(sold) is the basic run blue ring posts and amber caps. The 3rd game, not pre-sold(might be a keeper) will also be like flyer except Jordan made a set with red art for cap and rings. I came up w the idea of red bc I have an original white cap and ring set with red art. Info according to a former Bally employee, Bally sometimes made caps in different colors during the game design until deciding on the actual color used on the final run. Interesting to say the least. I only wish that I had 3 of them so it just sits in a box for now.

#5213 10 months ago

FYI, if you bought a manual for the first ebd from Marco, you may have the wrong schematics for cab wiring and backbox wiring. I noticed some wires for the lamps being different colors than schematic shown. Also some missing altogether.
If you bought one, check the lower right corner to see if it says eight ball deluxe or eight ball deluxe limited. I found 2 pages for LE. Some pages don't specify game as they may apply to multiple games.
I'm going to call Marco and ask them to check their manuals.

2 weeks later
#5214 9 months ago

Is there a part number for this large drop target reset pin? As you can see it has a carriage bolt and want to correct it.

EBD.jpgEBD.jpg
#5215 9 months ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Is there a part number for this large drop target reset pin? As you can see it has a carriage bolt and want to correct it.
[quoted image]

I believe this is it:

S-739-229 Link Pin

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/S-739-229

#5216 9 months ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5217 9 months ago
Quoted from djblouw:

[quoted image]

Thank you!!!

#5218 9 months ago

Got a ebd to fix for someone…..

IMG_1536 (resized).jpegIMG_1536 (resized).jpegIMG_1542 (resized).jpegIMG_1542 (resized).jpeg
#5219 9 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

That fan in the bottom rear of the cabinet looks.....interesting. Any other funky mods on this pin?

#5220 9 months ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

That fan in the bottom rear of the cabinet looks.....interesting. Any other funky mods on this pin?

Couple cut harness wires… mmm I haven’t set up the game fully. I’ll post more when I find them! The front cab corners look, burnt……

#5221 9 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Need to post those in the horror thread!!

#5222 9 months ago
IMG_20230519_193652 (resized).jpgIMG_20230519_193652 (resized).jpg
#5223 9 months ago

Does this game have German speech? Sprechen sie Deutch?

#5224 9 months ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Does this game have German speech? Sprechen sie Deutch?

No, the game does speak English. But, German kids do understand simple English sentences like "Sink the eight Ball - Corner pocket"

1 week later
#5225 8 months ago

My right flipper quit working on my 1984 EBD. I pushed on the connectors on all the boards and it started working. But then after not being played for a couple weeks, the same thing happened and when I pushed on the connectors on the boards, this time it didn't work.

I suspect a cold solder issue, but don't know which board controls the flippers. Any help there? Also, someone suggested putting the boards in an oven to reflow the solder? I have never done that before. Is it safe? What temp? How long? Any help appreciated.

#5226 8 months ago

The flipper connectors all run through the upper right board in the head. Do not put that board in an oven. Reflowing of connectors is done with a soldering iron but I would repin the connectors on the harness first. Iirc the upper left one has the flippers.

I'd do some closer inspection before doing any of this first though and some testing with a meter, but the likely cause is the connector pins.

#5227 8 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

The flipper connectors all run through the upper right board in the head. Do not put that board in an oven. Reflowing of connectors is done with a soldering iron but I would repin the connectors on the harness first. Iirc the upper left one has the flippers.
I'd do some closer inspection before doing any of this first though and some testing with a meter, but the likely cause is the connector pins.

Thanks slochar! I reflowed all the pins on the solenoid board (upper right board) while I was there. Right flipper now works great. All connectors look solid and none of them are brown.

Now, can anyone tell me if this connector is supposed to connect anywhere? I can't find another end to it. It is attached to the wire loom coming from the cabinet under playfield.

20230626_143204 (resized).jpg20230626_143204 (resized).jpg
#5228 8 months ago
Quoted from Cudaman:

Thanks slochar! I reflowed all the pins on the solenoid board (upper right board) while I was there. Right flipper now works great. All connectors look solid and none of them are brown.
Now, can anyone tell me if this connector is supposed to connect anywhere? I can't find another end to it. It is attached to the wire loom coming from the cabinet under playfield. [quoted image]

Other end comes from the pf. Same color wires. If it's missing you may have an LE pf in a standard cab?

#5229 8 months ago
Quoted from Cudaman:

I can't find another end to it.

Should be coming from the head harness near the insert.

#5230 8 months ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Other end comes from the pf. Same color wires. If it's missing you may have an LE pf in a standard cab?

There are only two wire looms coming off the playfield. The small one goes to the board on the bottom of the cabinet. The large loom goes to the backbox and when that loom gets up by the backbox, that blue/brown wire connector comes out of it. There is no where I can see in the backbox where that connector is supposed to plug in.

Also, can I put LEDs in this pin, or does it cause strobing or other issues?

#5231 8 months ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Should be coming from the head harness near the insert.

That's a bingo. It was way up on the translight harness which was a pink and brown wire. Had to pull up the playfield loom much further into the backbox to allow the two connectors to connect. Thanks!

#5232 8 months ago
Quoted from Cudaman:

That's a bingo. It was way up on the translight harness which was a pink and brown wire. Had to pull up the playfield loom much further into the backbox to allow the two connectors to connect. Thanks!

I think those 2 wires are for switched lamps behind back glass.

You will need either a alltek lamp/led driver boards that will replace existing boards. . Or Seigcraft adapters to run leds.

#5233 8 months ago

Does anyone know what BG's Planetary is selling? CPR or Shay? Which is better?

1 week later
#5234 8 months ago

Working on a ebd and built a new power rectifier board. what are the minimum plugs needed to plug in to test for power at test points? didn't see it mentioned in the pin-repair wiki

#5235 8 months ago
Quoted from Cudaman:

Now, can anyone tell me if this connector is supposed to connect anywhere? I can't find another end to it. It is attached to the wire loom coming from the cabinet under playfield. [quoted image]

Here is one from mine

IMG_1773 (resized).jpegIMG_1773 (resized).jpeg
#5236 8 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Working on a ebd and built a new power rectifier board. what are the minimum plugs needed to plug in to test for power at test points? didn't see it mentioned in the pin-repair wiki

J1

#5237 8 months ago

K, I’ll check, I had two plugged in and no power soooooooo hoping I just had it wrong

#5238 8 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

K, I’ll check, I had two plugged in and no power soooooooo hoping I just had it wrong

Verify main fuse is good, 3A slo-blo next to transformer.

#5239 8 months ago

The first inline 2X multiplier of course takes the the worst beating of the bunch because it’s first. Over time it cuts into the wood playfield. I have a relatively new
IPB playfield and it was starting to wear into the wood playfield behind it so I used a Cliffy rollover switch protector and modified it to protect that spot. I used a little spray adhesive and it’s been working like a charm

IMG_4786 (resized).jpegIMG_4786 (resized).jpeg
#5240 8 months ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

The first inline 2X multiplier of course takes the the worst beating of the bunch because it’s first. Over time it cuts into the wood playfield. I have a relatively new
IPB playfield and it was starting to wear into the wood playfield behind it so I used a Cliffy rollover switch protector and modified it to protect that spot. I used a little spray adhesive and it’s been working like a charm
[quoted image]

Wonder if a drop target cliffy would work as well.

#5241 8 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Wonder if a drop target cliffy would work as well.

Please tell me does he now make an actual Cliffy for specifically this purpose? If he does I feel like the fool as I’ve been off the radar with pinball for a while and didn’t know. Or are you talking about a drop target Cliffy for side by side drops that would need to be modified?

#5242 8 months ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

Please tell me does he now make an actual Cliffy for specifically this purpose? If he does I feel like the fool as I’ve been off the radar with pinball for a while and didn’t know. Or are you talking about a drop target Cliffy for side by side drops that would need to be modified?

I had a ghostbusters and had single drop target cliffies. Sold the game so I can't tell if they would fit but maybe?

#5243 8 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I had a ghostbusters and had single drop target cliffies. Sold the game so I can't tell if they would fit but maybe?

Sounds like it would work. For now this is working looks like a permanent solution just wish I’d caught it earlier. The PF is about 8-9 years old but it was wearing down already considering home occasional use only

#5244 8 months ago

Still troubleshooting my completely restored EBD. Help if you can. There is a comma on the display that goes on and off before the 100,000 score. Anyone know what that means. Also need instructions and play cards for the apron. I can have them printed if I knew what they said. Can anyone send pics

IMG_1059 (resized).jpegIMG_1059 (resized).jpeg
#5245 8 months ago

Second problem is when starting a game the one ball target drops and scores 2000 and ball doesn’t kick out. Solenoid expander?

#5246 8 months ago

Howdy all, jus' wantin to know if can join your club....

ebd1 (resized).jpgebd1 (resized).jpg

#5247 8 months ago

Hello all! I am in the process of restoring an EBD LE. My project is well underway with a playfield swap by a good friend, while I work on the cabinet.
I'm wondering if anyone has every used the retro refurbs EBD Decal set and maybe has some feedback on them? (https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/eight-ball-deluxe-le-colored-alternate-pinball-cabinet-decals/).
Otherwise, I'll go with Pinball Pimps tried and true stencils. Just wondering what people have used for the gold/red paint?
In progress pictures can be posted if anyone is interested!
Thanks!!

#5248 8 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

Howdy all, jus' wantin to know if can join your club....
[quoted image]

Yeah I guess so

Where did you get her, gorgeous game!

#5249 8 months ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

If you are getting ball wear in that area it could be that the target height needs adjustment. If you're not aware, the bottom plate has 2 screws that you loosen to allow the plate to move up or down. It's hard to see but the targets have a ramped top edge to help the ball jump over the downed target to the following target. You want the top of the target to be a hair above the pf.

#5250 8 months ago
Quoted from kjgolf:

Still troubleshooting my completely restored EBD. Help if you can. There is a comma on the display that goes on and off before the 100,000 score. Anyone know what that means. Also need instructions and play cards for the apron. I can have them printed if I knew what they said. Can anyone send pics
[quoted image]

Looks like you have a 7 digit Stern display in there. Swap it out with a Bally display if you have one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 199.95
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
There are 5,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 105 of 113.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well/page/105 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.