Topic Stats

• 2,466 posts
  • 278 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by phillyfan64
  • Topic is favorited by 122 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 837 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ebd paint (resized).jpg
WP_000090 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191222_180254 (resized).jpg
PC220113 (resized).JPG
D297576E-4159-42E8-8C3A-3779DDE7026C (resized).png
20191210_173622.jpg
20191204_191656.jpg
IMG_6858 (resized).jpg
IMG_6861 (resized).jpg
IMG_6860 (resized).jpg
IMG_6859 (resized).jpg
IMG_6857 (resized).jpg
IMG_6856 (resized).jpg
IMG_6854 (resized).jpg
IMG_6855 (resized).jpg
IMG_6853 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2466 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 50.
#451 3 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

Congrats on the Eight Ball Deluxe Nveld!
Thats going to be super fun to play! Get to work so I can play it!!

Yeah "stop talking and start chalking" for cryin' out loud!

#452 3 years ago

Here's a genuine Bally Eight Ball Deluxe score card:

EBD_(resized).jpg

#453 3 years ago

Mine is a 'classic' I believe and it set up for 3 balls per play. Was that normal or can it be changed to 5 balls?

Dean

#454 3 years ago

Solid State pinball machine standard is 3 ball. EM standard is 5 ball.

Just curious, why do you want to put it on 5 ball?

#455 3 years ago
Quoted from DeanS:

Mine is a 'classic' I believe and it set up for 3 balls per play. Was that normal or can it be changed to 5 balls?
Dean

You can change it to 5 ball by changing the dip switch settings

#456 3 years ago

I just wondered if it was standard, I'll leave it as is since it was. Thought it might be nice to have more plays for those not very good at pin ball. But certainly not worth having to mess with dip switches to change it back and forth. Service guy did set it for free play which is nice.

Oh, and I got a pretty decent, at least for me, high score last night. 1,098,00 This is going to be very addictive. haha

#457 3 years ago
Quoted from DeanS:

This is going to be very addictive. haha

Welcome to one of the most addictive games of all time!

#458 3 years ago

HI guys, I really need some help. I am fixing and clearing a IPB 8bd pf, and it was not dimpled. I would rather not have this pf go out un dimpled. What I need is to buy or borrow a used or new pf from someone. I will even rent it, Name your terms. I can also offer a discount on a clear job, or move one to the front, or whatever. if the pf is a loan, I have a fed ex acct, and will cover the shipping, I do need you to box it for me. there is something I can do for someone. if they loan me the pf, I will only need it for a couple days, and I can return it in a heavy duty pf shipping crate. I make them to ship 2 pf's safely, and they come with the packing, so it will take you les than 5 minutes to wrap a pf for shipment, and a pf has never been damaged in 10 years.
Please contact me if you can help.
Thanks everyone.
also in case you are wondering, I am accepting clearcoat jobs right now, and the backlog is about 1/2 of what it usually is. Also I will publish the FEB list of new/nos pf's available soon.
cheers, ron

#459 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

In the 80s when games switched over to 50 cents, some operators set games to 5 ball to soften the blow.

The games came stock with 3 and 5 ball pricing cards, but were set 3 ball 50 cent from the factory.

#460 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Not necessarily true. Most pinball machines that I used to play in 1981 were still set to 5 balls including Eight Ball Deluxe. I remember when the Midway "Classic" version came out too it was still a 5-ball game where I lived in PA but by that time you started seeing more games starting to be set to three balls. I remember when I was in college in the later 80s we had an EBD LE on campus and it was set to three balls but this was several years after it's release.

Basically the operator had the option of either way but up to the early to mid 80s the majority still used 5-balls.

I prefer 5-balls on all my Bally SS because that was they way they were set when I used to play them as a kid.

We tended to avoid the games set to 3-balls if we ever did run across one.

The big difference between the older EMs and the newer SS pins was that the EMs accepted dimes and quarters where the SS pins only accepted quarters and SBA dollars. Most older EMs were set to one game for a dime or three for a quarter while the newer SS pins were one game for a quarter (sometimes 3 for 50 cents) and usually 5 or 6 games for a SBA dollar.

All SS pins were still 5-ball games in the early 80s in the arcades I spent my time in.

In the 70s you rarely ever saw one set to 3-balls. When you did, it was an anomaly.

#461 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

HI guys, I really need some help. I am fixing and clearing a IPB 8bd pf, and it was not dimpled. I would rather not have this pf go out un dimpled. What I need is to buy or borrow a used or new pf from someone. I will even rent it, Name your terms. I can also offer a discount on a clear job, or move one to the front, or whatever. if the pf is a loan, I have a fed ex acct, and will cover the shipping, I do need you to box it for me. there is something I can do for someone. if they loan me the pf, I will only need it for a couple days, and I can return it in a heavy duty pf shipping crate. I make them to ship 2 pf's safely, and they come with the packing, so it will take you les than 5 minutes to wrap a pf for shipment, and a pf has never been damaged in 10 years.
Please contact me if you can help.
Thanks everyone.
also in case you are wondering, I am accepting clearcoat jobs right now, and the backlog is about 1/2 of what it usually is. Also I will publish the FEB list of new/nos pf's available soon.
cheers, ron

I just sent you a PM Ron.

#462 3 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Not necessarily true. Most pinball machines that I used to play in 1981 were still set to 5 balls including Eight Ball Deluxe.

It was a transitional time in pinball history. The solid state standard now is exactly what I stated and has been since at least System 9 machines. I don't see it changing.

Standard solid state setting is 3 ball, EM is 5 ball. They were set like this when they left the factory and OPs and players have adapted over time.

If you want to put it on 5 ball for whatever reason, go ahead... Just don't expect to play any 5 ball solid state games in a competitive setting or at a bar.

#463 3 years ago

My friend and I would play 8 ball deluxe for hours on end, it was always a hoot to get all the drops down and get 50,000 per pop at the standup behind it, and back handing this shot made it that much more sweet.

With that said, it's a great game, perfect for home play. It's an absolute horror in a tournament, because there really is no taming an 8 ball deluxe. You can get 3 house balls on this type of game, you just hope it's not in a tournament setting when it does happen.

#464 3 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

My friend and I would play 8 ball deluxe for hours on end, it was always a hoot to get all the drops down and get 50,000 per pop at the standup behind it, and back handing this shot made it that much more sweet.
With that said, it's a great game, perfect for home play. It's an absolute horror in a tournament, because there really is no taming an 8 ball deluxe. You can get 3 house balls on this type of game, you just hope it's not in a tournament setting when it does happen.

heh, Steven R. says to just "play better--rrrr"

#465 3 years ago

I think the three and five ball settings had more to do with individual operator preference. While the majority of EMs that I played in the 1960-70s were on five ball settings, one arcade in particular was set to 3 games/25 cents for 3 balls. Another arcade within walking distance was 2 games/25 cents for 5 balls. I didn't notice any SS games at 5 balls, all those around STL at that time were on three ball play.

#466 3 years ago

In PA 99% of all the early SS pins I used to play were set to 5-balls. Back then there was at least one big arcade at every mall (sometimes two big ones). Every bowling alley also had a generous selection of pins. We used to drive out of our way just to play EBD and all of them were set to 5-balls.

I don't think I played a 3-ball game of EBD until around 1985-86 (and that was at a college student union). But I had seen a few at other places and just passed them by. All of the SS pins are better set to 5 balls.

There was no "default" ball setting for SS pins. It's like anything else that is designed to make a profit. The operators were either cheapskates and had them set to 3-balls or they were cool and had them set to 5-balls.

I think EBD is a far-better player at 5 balls than at 3 balls although 3-balls are better than none.

#467 3 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

In PA 99% of all the early SS pins were set to 5-balls. Back then there was at least one big arcade at every mall (sometimes two big ones). Every bowling alley also had a generous selection of pins. We used to drive out of our way just to play EBD and all of them were set to 5-balls.
I don't think I played a 3-ball game of EBD until around 1985-86 (and that was at a college student union). But I had seen a few at other places and just passed them by. All of the SS pins are better set to 5 balls.
There was no "default" ball setting for SS pins. It's like anything else that is designed to make a profit. The operators were either cheapskates and had them set to 3-balls or they were cool and had them set to 5-balls.
I think EBD is a far-better player at 5 balls than at 3 balls although 3-balls are better than none.

You're trying to say you played 99% of pins in PA back in the day? That's a load of crap.

There was a default. It was set to 3 balls from the factory. Default settings are also indicated in the manuals for all pin manufacturers. Please stop talking out yet arse.

#468 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

You're trying to say you played 99% of pins in PA back in the day? That's a load of crap.
There was a default. It was set to 3 balls from the factory. Default settings are also indicated in the manuals for all pin manufacturers. Please stop talking out yet arse.

You know what I meant. I'm not doubting that some operators set them to three balls. Just the statement that the manuals says 3-balls are the default setting. I think you are mistaken there.

99% of the pins I played back then were set to 5-balls for a quarter - including the machines in the arcade I worked in. Especially in the 1970s.

The places I used to see early SS pins set to three balls the most often were settings like airports or other locations like the boardwalk at the Jersey shore where the players weren't regulars. People just stopping in for a game or two or tourists in places where everything was basically a rip-off too and they could get away with it. I usually avoided those machines.

There are actually four options for number of balls (2,3,4,5). I don't see anything in the manuals saying the default setting is 3-balls. The score cards each have their own recommended settings and the manual shows cards for both 3-ball and 5-ball. It was all just a matter of preference including how much you wanted to charge for a game. That's why various pricing inserts for the coin mechs were also included with the manuals.

#469 3 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

99% of the pins I played back then were set to 5-balls for a quarter - including the machines in the arcade I worked in. Especially in the 1970s.

Concur with your statements 100% about ball settings. Pricing and number of balls was the same in FL in the 70's. In the 80's, pricing and number of balls changed more frequently. Ops generally set their pricing and number of balls to be competitive with other locations. When it was time for pricing to raise, (timed to occur when a few newer pins showed up ), the change seemed to radiate everywhere quickly. Have you ever come across a machine set on 2 or 4 ball?

#471 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Have you ever come across a machine set on 2 or 4 ball?

No I never have seen that and there aren't any score cards for it that I've ever seen either but the machine does have the capability of being set to those options.

Gosh two balls would really suck.

lol

One thing that's interesting about EBD that I never tried or noticed is when you have it set to 5-balls in attract mode it will say "Eight Ball Deluxe.... Five Ball" and in 3-ball mode it will say "Eight Ball Deluxe... Three ball".

I wonder if it is set to two or four balls if it says the same for them?

Most likely but I just never tried it.

#472 3 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

No I never have seen that and there aren't any score cards for it that I've ever seen either but the machine does have the capability of being set to those options.
Gosh two balls would really suck.
lol
One thing that's interesting about EBD that I never tried or noticed is when you have it set to 5-balls in attract mode it will say "Eight Ball Deluxe.... Five Ball" and in 3-ball mode it will say "Eight Ball Deluxe... Three ball".
I wonder if it is set to two or four balls if it says the same for them?
Most likely but I just never tried it.

I don't think so because if you run the sounds test he only says 3 ball and 5 ball.

1 week later
#473 3 years ago

Quick question, my sound stopped last night. I still get the main voice "Get The Eight Ball" etc, but no other sounds like when a play ends or hit other bonus places. I did the quick test and after pressing the button 4x for sound, I get nothing.

Manual says to check speaker wire connections, or a module. Since I get the main voice, would it still be either of these?

Thanks,
Dean

#474 3 years ago

Only one terminal for speaker, so since you hear voice that's not the problem. If your squawk-n-talk has AMI brand 6821's on it I would check those....they are suspect.

#475 3 years ago

Ok, thanks for pointing me to those.

#476 3 years ago

Oh yea, what are those?

I did find the squawk and talk board. Says 682 I think in small numbers. So would the entire board be bad? I will call the local game store and see what he thinks, he has said a lot of the components can be bench tested so I hopefully don't have to haul the entire machine down to him.

Thanks

#477 3 years ago

Looking at 8BD LE. Curious if the playfields are the same across the eight ball deluxe series. ie, can I get a CPR or other playfield for 8BD and it will fit the limited edition?

Thanks for any info that you'd offer for an 8BD shopper!

#478 3 years ago

I need to get some new EOS switches for the left hand flipper. I have replaced the top and right hand ones and now need to do the other side. Could someone help with a part number? I think I know the number but I want to make sure before I order. Thanks for the help.

#479 3 years ago

CPR is taking pre-orders on 8 ball deluxe playfields!!!

Life IS good!!!

Thanks CPR!!!

#480 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Life IS good!!!
Thanks CPR!!!

What??? Sweet baby Jesus! I'm in!

Plus a whole bunch more on the list? Gorgar, Earthshaker, Shadow, Kiss, Playboy, Skateball, Mystic...

#481 3 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

Looking at 8BD LE. Curious if the playfields are the same across the eight ball deluxe series. ie, can I get a CPR or other playfield for 8BD and it will fit the limited edition?
Thanks for any info that you'd offer for an 8BD shopper!

The wiring varies slightly between the models but the actual wooden playfields are all the same dimensionally.

#482 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Life IS good!!!
Thanks CPR!!!

Got a link ?

#483 3 years ago

I kept my word. Pre-order sent.

This is fantastic news!!

#485 3 years ago

I see that page but I don`t see EBD on the pre-order.

#486 3 years ago

It's there...scroll down

#487 3 years ago

Looks like a cookie issue as I been getting the white screen pre-order page with about 8 playfields on it.
Only just now I hit the refresh and see the PIPE STANDARD and BOUTIQUE range.

#488 3 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Here's a warped CPR playfield for sale:
ebay.com link ยป Cpr Bally Eight Ball Deluxe Reproduction Pinball Playfield

Gotta feel bad for the guy who dropped almost 1400 for this warped playfield not even a month ago, and now CPR opens up a new preorder list for half that. The very definition of "bad timing".

#489 3 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Gotta feel bad for the guy who dropped almost 1400 for this warped playfield not even a month ago, and now CPR opens up a new preorder list for half that. The very definition of "bad timing".

Not necessarily. It's going to be at least several months before we see the CPR playfields and this guy may have needed one for a project now. Also, he got an IPB version which are getting more rare every day. They were very nice as long as he can apply the side rails and get most of the warpage out of it.

One thing I regret was selling my last NOS Harlem Globetrotters playfield. I was on the CPR pre-order list for both the Globetrotters playfields and plastics so I decided to sell it to a guy on Pinside along with my last NOS plastics set. I wish I would have kept them because I later found out after waiting several months that the Globetrotters playfields and plastics were cancelled because of some licensing agreement or something.

So even though this new release of EBD playfields looks to be for real, nothing beats having the sure thing right now if you can afford it. I have my last IPB EBD playfield sitting here and wouldn't sell it for $1400. It can't be easily replaced.

#490 3 years ago

I'm new to the club and very happy. I wanted an EBD for many years and finally bought one.
Got this EBD 6 months ago and start the restoration 3 months ago. It is the rare 1984 version.
Here's a small preview

IMG_6308_(resized).JPG

IMG_6301_(resized).JPG

#491 3 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Also, he got an IPB version which are getting more rare every day. They were very nice

Assuming, of course, he got one with good insert printing in the bonus rack. I wanted to buy one from PPS when they bought the IPB inventory, but I couldn't get them to provide me with a backlit image so I could see the insert numbers lit up, so I passed. Was kicking myself ever since until this announcement.

I see your point though. If he needed/wanted it now, it could be worth the extra scratch.

#492 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Assuming, of course, he got one with good insert printing in the bonus rack. I wanted to buy one from PPS when they bought the IPB inventory, but I couldn't get them to provide me with a backlit image so I could see the insert numbers lit up, so I passed. Was kicking myself ever since until this announcement.
I see your point though. If he needed/wanted it now, it could be worth the extra scratch.

I bought 8 of the EBD playfields from Gene when they were still available. The one I have left was the best of the lot.

I also bought 6 Kiss playfields at the same time. I still have one IPB Kiss playfield and backglass left too.

But I'm glad CPR is making more and am in the cue for both. They are definitely the two most sought-after Bally SS playfields. That's why there is still a huge demand for both even after IPB made a ton of them.

When this next batch of playfields are made by CPR it would be interesting to see which one is their all-time biggest seller. I bet EBD will right up there.

#493 3 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

When this next batch of playfields are made by CPR it would be interesting to see which one is their all-time biggest seller. I bet EBD will right up there.

Yep, notice their preorder is already full.

#494 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Yep, notice their preorder is already full.

I don't think I've ever seen a preorder fill up and be closed after only one week.

No other playfield is in such high demand. The reason they had any extras last run was because the IPB playfields were still out there. Now that they have all been snatched up as well as the 1st CPR playfields, this next run will be gobbled right up.

I kind of wish I would have ordered more now.

#495 3 years ago

Wow...

That didn't take long.

I'm glad I decided to order that 2nd PF now.

#496 3 years ago

Probably a limited run, because Stu said something (in another thread, I believe) that they would need more than 100 pre-orders of EBD to make it a likely re-run, a while ago. And that there was no way they would get that many orders. Since it has been done before.

It's a pity that popular games like Addams and EBD is so limited,(by license) because many other titles are not very profitable for them to do. (they still have not filled up Paragon after more than 15 months of pre-order time)

Would be cool if they could actually make some money on a few titles now and again. Would hate it if a great resource like CPR had to close their doors.

Anyway. Really glad I ordered ebd in time. Would have hated to have missed this chance. I just hope that most of the other interested buyers made it in time.

#497 3 years ago

First off, I have mentioned this in a couple of my latest posts, thanks to GATECRASHER, for sending me a EBD pf to make a dimple template. I needed help for a couple months and couldn't get anything. So if you have an IPB EBD and need it dimpled, I can help.
Second I bought 2 IPB ebd pf's on ebay, that I am offering. One have a beautiful stock clear. I spent 3 hours sanding and polishing it, the other is not cleared at all. Both are for sale as is or I can perfect them.

also. I Have been a huge cpr supporter since the first days, but I am pretty sure they have not opened a title and produced it in less than about a year an a half. They have a lot of titles on their plate, and most of them take over 2 years, and some over 4.
Its just my advice that is you are holding your breath for a pf they just announced they are taking orders for, and then when it gets filled it goes to the next place in line, you are not going to have one for Christmas. I am not ripping on cpr at all. I know how long it takes to do this stuff right.

I have sold a couple nos totan pf's in the last 5 years and I used to hear every day that cpr is making them. I always replied, that they will probably get to all of the titles eventually, which is as relevant as what they said.

P2298092_(resized).JPG

P2298090_(resized).JPG

#498 3 years ago

Will the CPR playfield for EBD that I just pre-ordered have all the dimples in it? I have never bought a CPR before.

#499 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Will the CPR playfield for EBD that I just pre-ordered have all the dimples in it? I have never bought a CPR before.

Yes, but you'll want to reference your original when populating as the dimples aren't always in the correct spot.

#500 3 years ago

Re-restoration (is that even a word?) of my "returned" EBD "Classic" #527 (as I call it), 12 years after I built game from spare parts.

Cabinet #1088.
Backbox #321
Internal Parts #527
Backglass #866
Playfield #128

Playfield does not look too bad for a 32-year old game and thousands of plays.

I wish there was a play meter on this particular machine, easily over 50-60k total plays. Probably more.

IMG_20160303_202149_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 149.00
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 2466 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 50.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside