Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Moonshot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have been trying to trouble shoot the outhole kicker on my EBD and I can't figure out what should be a simple problem. The solenoid gets the ball out to the outlane only about 1 in 5 tries. The other times it is too weak and the ball feebly rolls back down to the kicker again for another try. I started out by buying a rebuild kit and replaced all the related kicker parts with no luck. I know solenoids rarely go bad but I bought a new one anyway and replaced the solenoid with no luck here either. Everything is hitting the ball squarely and it would make it to the outlane if there was enough force. In looking at the kicker in action, I can see it simply hits the ball with barely any power. The ball goes like an inch up the trough and then rolls back down again. There must be an issue further up the line somewhere that I do not know how to troubleshoot. Any ideas on what I should check next? Thanks for your help.

#2 6 years ago

Additionally, the light bulb under the playfield connected to the solenoid expander board is not lit. I check and the bulb is good. Is this light supposed to be on all the time? If yes, what does it mean if bulb is not lit. Thanks.

#3 6 years ago

Expander lite only lites when expansion solenoids are needed. Press the red button inside the coin door once. All lites including Exp lites blink. The expander should also CLICK with each blink.

If that game has a linear outhole mech (nothing turns), compare yours to pics of a good assembly. They are often broken and "repaired" in mysterious ways.

#4 6 years ago

I would check the solder joints on the connector of the Solenoid Expander Board.

3 months later
#5 6 years ago

Same issue here but not resolved yet. I reflowed the Solenoid Expander board, swapped a different one in, replaced the coil sleeve, changed out the armature and verified that there is no obstruction in the trough.

All of the wiring looks great. I did move the machine across town recently.

Would you experts think that the problem is with the coil itself?

All other coils and game operation is fine.

Thanks

#6 6 years ago

The outhole kicker rarely fails. I've never seen one go weak. Are you sure the coil is weak? Maybe it's loose and out of alignment and the ball is hitting something? Remove the front apron and observe the coils mechanics and make sure everything operates smoothly.

That being said coil wires do get fragile and what looks fine may be ready to go. If you've tried everything else replace the coil. Not an expensive or difficult ordeal.

3 years later
#7 2 years ago

Having the same issue
Was wondering if a solution was found
Game works 100% except for
Kicker being weak intermittently
Kicker is run from solenoid expander .

#8 2 years ago

When I’ve had similar issue (a couple of times) it was just needing disassembly and a good cleaning for a strong kickout.

#9 2 years ago

Thanks for the advice Steve o
I have cleaned the solenoid assembly kicker and it is working smoothly
I also checked the connections on the boards
Including the solenoid expander board underneath
The playfield.
The kicker works perfect about 1/2 the time the other 1/2 the time it is weak like it’s not getting enough power
I noticed the solenoid has 2 diodes on it
Not sure if that could be the issue I haven’t checked those yet
Maybe it’s the SEB ?
Game works 100% except for this intermittent problem

#10 2 years ago

Unscrew the apron but leave it in position.
When the outhole coil starts to go weak, remove the apron, place the ball back in the outhole and watch if the ball is getting kicked straight to the shooter lane or if it's bouncing around the guides/channel to get there (i.e. is the ball not moving smoothly).

If it's all good, temporarily bypass the solenoid expander by hooking up a jumper wire to the playfield fuse near the flippers. Make sure the wire cannot fall off. Connect the other end to the brown-orange wire on the outhole coil lug. Place the ball back in the outhole and see if you get full power.

#11 2 years ago

Thanks for the advice quench
I will try that when I get off work
I have the apron off now
It is definitely the strength of the solenoid that is the problem
I can see and hear the solenoid when it works perfectly vs
When it dose not

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 179.00
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-outhole-kicker-is-perpetually-weak?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.