• Fathom 27 votes
    50%

(54 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC03732 (resized).JPG
IMG_0602 (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

Besides looks, which game is better play wise and rule set?

#2 6 years ago

Both great games. Fathom having the multiball and spinner take it up a notch in my opinion.

#3 6 years ago

Fathom by far !

#4 6 years ago

I've owned both for twenty years, and if you take away looks and multiball, I find the addictive gameplay of EBD much better than Fathom. That said, in my opinion any Bally from 1981 is a winner!

#5 6 years ago

I owned both for a long time and sold both. EBD is the better player long term.

#6 6 years ago

EBD imo

#7 6 years ago

Both games are outstanding IMO, you should get both! But if I had to pick one, Fathom would be it.

This is my current 80's lineup:

IMG_0602 (resized).jpgIMG_0602 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

For looks Fathom, for best play EBD.

#9 6 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe gets my vote

#10 6 years ago

EBD for the win.

#11 6 years ago

As said above. Looks= Fathom Gameplay= EBD. EBD never gets old. It's a long term keeper and still cheaper than a Fathom. In my opinion EBD is one of the ten best pins ever made!

#12 6 years ago

Tough choice! I own and enjoy both a lot.

Each has cool and unique aspects as well as really fun and challenging gameplay, but if I had to absolutely pick one it would currently be Eight Ball Deluxe by a slight edge. The deciding factor would come down to the overall vibe the game exudes and EBD's theme and "shot and a beer" bar ambience just click slightly more for me personally.

DSC03732 (resized).JPGDSC03732 (resized).JPG

#14 6 years ago

8BD the best thing since sliced bread was introduced, well that's what my partner tells me.

#15 6 years ago

I own both but have owned EBD a couple of years & Fathom less than a year now. I’m starting to think EBD cause it’s just a perfect game. True Fathom is beautiful and has a spinner & multiball which won me over initially. Over time though I give the slight edge to EBD it’s just pure pinball. If EBD was as rare as Fathom I’m sure it would be just as sought after if not more than Fathom. Both great though can’t go wrong

#16 6 years ago

Both good games but my vote is going to fathom.

#17 6 years ago

Fathom!

#18 6 years ago

There may not be a single ball game of this era better than EBD, there are plenty of multiball games that can compete with Fathon and several Ballys I think better. Up to you and what you like.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from KJL:

There may not be a single ball game of this era better than EBD

EBD left, had a Fathom on loan for a while that I loved but don't actually miss, Flash Gordon is the only early Bally I've held onto. That's my vote for best single ball game of that era.

#20 6 years ago

EBD is not even in the running as far as I'm concerned, never saw the appeal. Fathom by a mile.

John

#21 6 years ago

Over the years I've owned 3 of each title but Fathom is still here. Even though I found Ebd to be the best 'gotta have one more game' pin I still love Fathom more. The Fathom art blows Ebd away and there are 2 sets of inline drops with 2 more balls. I love the capture and release feature of the 2 or 3 muliball game. I know this thread is an either or but Centaur for me is more fun as well with the constant orbs being added and art that rivals or surpasses Fathom. All that being said if I find another EBD in the future I might just have to come to my senses and snatch her up for good this time. It's just that there are only so many spots in the lineup and classic Sterns have invaded the game room lately.

#22 6 years ago

Added poll

#23 6 years ago

EBD get's my vote. Fathom is a great game, but EBD is just the perfect pin. Sold it once, regretted the hell out of it. Have another one now. and it's bolted to the floor. . .

#24 6 years ago

EBD definitely has the better rule set. Fathom is better looking.

#25 6 years ago

Both great games but Fathom for me. I need multiball especially where I have to lock them and then work to release them both into play. And then re-locking them during multball is one of the most fun achievements ever. Just locking the ball to watch the drop targets pop up and set is a treat.

You can't go wrong with either game though.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

And then re-locking them during multball is one of the most fun achievements ever.

Why would you want to relock the balls during multi-ball?

While always a main objective, Fathom multi-balls would be more fun for me if they lasted longer than 2 secs on average.

#27 6 years ago

Tie... And I'll add flash gordon and centaur for a 4 way tie. God these games are good.

#28 6 years ago

EBD slight edge over Fathom. Is there an option to own both?

4 weeks later
#29 6 years ago

Fathom. I think EBD could have done more with the pop pen space.
-mof

#30 6 years ago

Fathom is just SO expensive

#31 6 years ago

ebd is by far a better player , fathom is by far the better looker. both are great.

#32 6 years ago

I've owned a few of these games, just not a fan of them compared to the newer stuff on the market.

#33 6 years ago

Ebd is the best playing game ever for me. Number one of all my pins, and by far the game i played most in my life.
It never gets old.
That said, kids don't like it at all.

#34 6 years ago

I had the chance to play both of these numerous times at the recent Arcade Expo. Despite the crowds on Saturday it was not problem getting time on these classics as most everyone was concentrated on the new machines. I have followed both of these since I got into pinball and like them both a lot. I pondered this exact question a lot as I went back and forth between them, playing multiple games and getting familiar with the gameplay. In general I agree with what most say: EBD is probably a bit better for gameplay, but Fathom is just so darn cool-looking. If I had an EBD I would be tempted to swap the backglass for a Bally Eight Ball, now that would spice it up.

The bottom line is that either would be great. I don't think either is particularly easy to get, but a Fathom is darn near impossible to get right now. The recent nice examples that showed up here got sold within minutes. So for me, if I managed to get a chance at a good Fathom, I would jump on that first, just to get it while its possible. Otherwise, getting an EBD would be great also. Eventually would like both

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-or-fathom?hl=insideoutlane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.