Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8934 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I'm confronted with an EBDLE where the backbox is locked. I've thoroughly searched the cabinet, without success. I have a handful of keys that I can try, but I'm not unduly optimistic that I will be successful in unlocking it. I have my handy 18V Ryobi, and new drill bit and permission from the owner to go ahead and destroy the lock.

My problem is this: The machine is gorgeous. I am horrified at the mere thought of shattering this backglass.

Most of the locks I have ever drilled were in the coin door, and most of those were stinky old beaters that came out of damp basements. I had nothing to lose. Now I'm thinking of drilling an inch away from a perfect glass that may be irreplaceable? And even if I do drill the tumblers without issue, will the latching mechanism move out of the way easily?

I guess my first question is: How is the glass in the lower pedestal locked in place? Is this something that can be reached from underneath?

#2 2 years ago

I've never drilled a lock on an EBDLE, but I've opened up many locks by either drilling the center of the lock or hammering a large flat blade screwdriver into the lock center and using vice grips for leverage to open the latch. Either way broke the lock and had to be replaced later, but every time I got inside the game for under $10.

Best luck.

#3 2 years ago

Mr & Mrs Pac-Man pinball backbox lock. Should be similar to EBDLE.

IMG_8934 (resized).jpgIMG_8934 (resized).jpg
#4 2 years ago

The pacman and 8ball locking system is the same on the limited edition cabinets.

I've drilled those locks before without problems. However, it is strongly suggested to use a shop vac as you drill to catch all of the metal shavings as they will go everywhere if you don't. Have a helper run the vacuum as you do the drilling.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from songofsixpence:

I'm confronted with an EBDLE where the backbox is locked. I've thoroughly searched the cabinet, without success. I have a handful of keys that I can try, but I'm not unduly optimistic that I will be successful in unlocking it. I have my handy 18V Ryobi, and new drill bit and permission from the owner to go ahead and destroy the lock.
My problem is this: The machine is gorgeous. I am horrified at the mere thought of shattering this backglass.
Most of the locks I have ever drilled were in the coin door, and most of those were stinky old beaters that came out of damp basements. I had nothing to lose. Now I'm thinking of drilling an inch away from a perfect glass that may be irreplaceable? And even if I do drill the tumblers without issue, will the latching mechanism move out of the way easily?
I guess my first question is: How is the glass in the lower pedestal locked in place? Is this something that can be reached from underneath?

Any numbers or identifiers on the lock? I have several hundred keys that cover the gambit of most common locks pinball machines were shipping with

#6 2 years ago

I remember the Mr&Mrs pac being a wiring harness nightmare. I had this dim hope that somehow I could finagle the bottom glass out, from the bottom of the cab, then finagle the bottom display panel out. then maybe being able to undo the head bolts. I can't remember exactly the lock mech for holding in the bottom glass.

Quoted from KenLayton:

Have a helper run the vacuum as you do the drilling.

Will do

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Any numbers or identifiers on the lock? I have several hundred keys that cover the gambit of most common locks pinball machines were shipping with

I glanced, didn't see one. My 1382 fit, but didn't work

#8 2 years ago

Can you try picking the lock? It’s not too hard to do. Get a cheap lock pick set on Amazon, and watch some YouTube videos. I would imagine these locks are pretty straight forward with no anti-pick mechanisms, but I could be wrong.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from SpaceBoy:

Mr & Mrs Pac-Man pinball backbox lock. Should be similar to EBDLE.
[quoted image]

This is helpful. I couldn't remember if there was a locking mechanism, like most Bally's of that era. So it's just a single metal tab?

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from songofsixpence:

This is helpful. I couldn't remember if there was a locking mechanism, like most Bally's of that era. So it's just a single metal tab?

The lock in my pic was drilled out as can be seen. I think there is a flat? piece not shown that when locked keeps the backglass from being lifted. Also the screw that holds the flat piece is not shown (likely drilled into shavings).

Just drill straight down the lock's center and vacuum up the mess. It's brass (I think) and pretty easy drilling. You've got this.

1 week later
#11 2 years ago

For those still interested...

I got the drill, shop vac and a friend to assist. When I was getting ready to leave, the customer texted me to say that his wife had found the key.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm happy I didn't have to drill after all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-locked-backbox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.