• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by maestro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rollover_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maestro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Well I did it again. I am sure everyone here has been in a similar situation. Here is mine:

Putting back together my EBDLE after a playfield tear down, cleanup and reassemble. Played a couple of games and notice the rollover button was not working. Lifted the playfield and put my tester to it. Now I now better than this but did it anyway. I started testing without turning the game off. I put my tester to beep for continuity. I put my leads across the legs of the piece I circles in black in the picture. Wasn't thinking when I did that and didn't need to test it. Nothing happened that I noticed. Next I put the leads across the switch legs circled in blue and closed the switch. No continuity. Cleaned the switch contacts and retested and have continuity. Put the playfield down but it won't start a game. Turned off and on, lights on but not booting. Turned the game off and started testing fuses but puling them out one at a time and using the continuity tester again. Found F4 on the power supply module blown (5A slow blow). Replaced and found no other fuses blown. Power up and the game boots as should but now no score displays and no sound. Looked under the playfield again at th rollover button and noticed the diode (is that what it is, piece I circled in red) had a leg not connected. I reconnected that and not change. So I turned the game on and watched the MPU green led and it flashed 7 times correct. I reseated all connectors on the boards (even the power supply module) and reseated all plugs in the machine. No change. I have a regular EBD as well so I pulled the MPU from it and put it in the EBDLE (problem child) and I had the same symptoms. I put the MPU from the EBDLE to my EBD and it worked fine. I swapped the MPU's back to their original machines. So I am pretty sure its not the MPU. I am at a point I am not sure what else to test. Hopefully someone(s) here can help me get this thing back up and running.

rollover_(resized).jpgrollover_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Swapped the squawk and talk boards. One from the LE works in the other machine so the S&T board isn't bad.

#3 7 years ago

Of note, it does play as it should.

#5 7 years ago

I tested at tp1 to tp2, no voltage. tp1 to tp3 no voltage. Tp2 and ground lead to the ground strap got me 5V and tp 3 to ground strap got me 12v. Guess I have a ground issue. Do I need to physically trace the ground wire back or does someone know where Need to look for my issue?

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

I'm guessing since you have no power in displays or s&t that the issue is on the rectifier board.
I would look at the connectors to the rectifier board and make sure the pins are pushed in all the way. Also pull the board and inspect the headers for cracks (which may occur when reseating the connectors) and reflow if necessary. If this doesn't help, repin the connectors with trifurcons.

I guess rectifier board is the power supply board under the playfield? I did reseat the connectors and they are pushed all the way in. I'll pull the board and reflow all the headers regardless of how they look.

Quoted from Quench:

Are you seeing any background glow in the displays? You might need to darken the area to be able to see it.
After the MPU LED flashes the 7th time, does the game go into attract mode? i.e. lights flashing on the Playfield, drop targets resetting?
That 5A F4 fuse that blew is for the solenoids so it doesn't seem related to what you were doing with your meter on the rollover switch. BTW, looking at the rollover switch, that thick red wire tab looks rather close to the switch leaf - is it touching?

Actually now that you mention it all the displays except P2 glow at the left lower corner. P2 does not glow at all. The game does go into attract mode and even starts a game after pushing the start button. I can play a game as normal except no sounds or displays. The big red wire is not touching the leaf. The perspective in the picture looks like it but it is actually a good quarter inch from that leaf.

Quoted from snyper2099:

Nothing in your first post seems related to your current 2 problems whatsoever. So please try to forget any of that stuff ever happened.

I would STRONGLY suggest to rebuild your solenoid driver board using the pinwiki page and perform ALL the service upgrades to bulletproof it. If you can't, contact BarakandL on Pinside. His work and turnaround time is unmatched these days.
You could have a bad fuse on the driver board (the super small fuse), or cold solder joints, or bad capacitor(s) or bad diodes in the HV section of the driver board. But going through ALL the bulletproofing steps should get the board working for 10+ more years.
You may want to test your voltages on the S+T board's test points and report back what they are in this thread.

Forgotten! Thanks.

I have the rebuild kit from big daddy enterprises for the solenoid driver and been meaning to get to it. I guess now is as good a time as any.

I did test TP2 and 3. Using TP1 as a ground I got no voltages. However using the ground strap I got correct voltages. I stopped after TP3 but I can test them all no problem. I'll report voltages back here. I will try to rebuild the driver board this weekend and I will reflow everything on the power module board this weekend as well.

#11 7 years ago

To all those who are helping with this; I'm not ignoring the topic. I work out of town and its weekend work. I'll be back home Monday night so that's when I'll be able to chime in on new results. Quench I will get those readings soon after I get in the house and post back here Monday night.

Thanks guys.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

If you're getting the glow in the displays, then the displays are getting their high voltage from the Solenoid Driver Board which is needed to light the digits (ignore display 2 for the moment). You can confirm if the high voltage is within range by measuring it:
With your multimeter set to high DC voltage scale (200V or higher), put the black lead somewhere on ground and the red lead on TP2 of one of the display boards. Also measure TP2 on the Solenoid Driver Board (SDB) as well. Both should measure somewhere between 170v - 190V. Note TP2 on the SDB might be a little tricky to get to - it's next to the smaller black heatsink on the board. Be careful not to accidentally touch anything there with your fingers!
Oh, also check TP1 on the display boards while you're there, it should read 5V.
Is the LED on the sound board flashing 5 times on startup?

Tp1 is 12.7v and tp2 on display is 197.5v. Tp2 on sdb is 197.5v. No led flashing on sound board.

#13 7 years ago

S&t board, tp1 13.6v, tp3 15.3v, tp4 8.8v, tp5 13.7v, tp6 13.6v, tp7 13.5v, tp8 13.2v, tp9 13.5v, tp10 13.3v, tp 11 is strange it starts at 20v and climbs to around 60v, tp12 13v, that'sall the test points i see. I could not find tp2.

#14 7 years ago

Wow, i just found the problem. I decided to reseat the plugs on the boards. Noticed j3 on solenoid driver didn'tfeel right. Pulled and its cracked. I carefully reseated it and all is well. Thanks for all the tips. I am going to be posting another topic dealing with a hum in the sound system. Would like to get that fixed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 179.00
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maestro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-le-no-displays-and-no-sounds?tu=maestro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.