Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Blake
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi everyone. Trying to help out a local private owner get his machine up and running 100% and want to make sure we're on the right track. Two significant issues to address.

One is the Squwak N Talk, which I understand is a common spot of problem. In his case, he was told the board was relatively new when he bought it and it worked saying "eightball deluxe", etc on power up. Now, it's intermittent at best. The green LED on the board is rarely on, unless I move the wires on the wiring harness (noticed this when I was simply moving the panel it was mounted to looking for any obvious problems), then it flashes and we hear some cracking through he speakers. I tried reseating the harness, and visually checked for any loose connections, but couldn't at any point get voice to return. A few times in the process we lost all audio & sound effects. Not sure what the next logical step would be here, was thinking of maybe a new connector at the SNT board?

Second issue also has me wanting more information to try and keep the fix as simple as possible, but I'm still very much learning on these things. The ball launch coil is intermittent. In test mode, you can hear the click, but more often than not it doesn't fire. Occasionally it will fire. Is that likely just a coil replacement, or should I be looking for something different? I've not yet come across an 'intermittent coil', but like i said, I'm still learning. Thanks for reading!

#2 5 years ago

On the squawk and talk sound board....you might try replacing all of the capacitors on that board. They are known to cause sound issues.

#3 5 years ago

Sounds like you need to reflow the header pins on the S&T.

For the coils, are there any coils firing when they shouldn't be? During coil test, do all the coils fire properly? (except the outhole, I assume that's the coil you're referring to)

Do two coils fire at once? If not, you probably just need to replace the driver transistor and associated diode for the failing coil.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Murph74:

he was told the board was relatively new when he bought it..... unless I move the wires on the wiring harness

No such thing as a new S&T board that I am aware of and you pretty much diagnosed the problem, a loose connection. Follow the advice of Indy and Doth above. Reflow the connector pins and do a cap rebuild.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

No such thing as a new S&T board that I am aware of and you pretty much diagnosed the problem, a loose connection.

Actually www.mypinballs.com has created a new S+T board for replacing boards that are to much of a problem child.
BigAl56 is right that you may have already found your issue with the harness connection.
-Mike

#6 5 years ago

For your sound problem, it sounds like you need to re-pin the connector. it's pretty common.

Quoted from indypinhead:

On the squawk and talk sound board....you might try replacing all of the capacitors on that board. They are known to cause sound issues.

If you have the ability, then I agree with @indypinhead.

Your coil problem: based on your comment that it's always "clicking". I would disassemble it and give it a good clean. Again very common for the mechanism to get gummed up over the years.

#7 5 years ago

-cap kit and reflow headers on S&T
-with the coil issue you could shotgun it by replacing the coil, transistor on the driver board and pre trans

Thanks
Blake

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 199.95
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-le-issues?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.