You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

R23_raised_(resized).JPG
Q22_Missing_(resized).JPG
100k_heated_resisters_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

I have taken the advice from my earlier post - re-soldered all headers pins, checked connectors, etc...What I am seeing is that the flickering starts with the 6 Lamp board (Credits and Ball in Play) after it warms up (5-10 minutes of play) and then goes to the 3rd player and 4th player modules. On the Credit and Balls in Play board, I see resisters R1, R3, R5 & R7, R9, R11 (100k) along with C2 that looked as if they have gotten hot (dark spot down the middle of them) and also C2 has the same look.

I also see that R23 on the Player 4 - 7 lamp module has been replace and is sitting above the board (larger resister and does not lie flat to board). I have attached pictures of the resisters with C2 that look to have gotten hot and also a picture of R23 that is sitting above the board.

Should I replace all of these resisters (100k and 1.5k) and C2 (.05MFD 500v)? If so, should I replace the 100k with a larger value?

While I'm on the subject, Q22 appears to have been removed (still see leads in the holes) from Player1, Player2, Player3, and Player4 (7 lamp modules) boards - why??? (Picture also attached of this)

Thanks again,
Joe S.

100k_heated_resisters_(resized).JPG100k_heated_resisters_(resized).JPG

Q22_Missing_(resized).JPGQ22_Missing_(resized).JPG

R23_raised_(resized).JPGR23_raised_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago
#3 8 years ago

I'm the one who advised you to replace the headers. Bummer that didn't do the trick.

I lack the expertise to guide you further, so...

BUMP!

#4 8 years ago

I would suspect something with the 555 IC on the MPU module.
Especially the caps around it (which define the timing for the displays).
These caps can go bad after some 30+ years of age.

Also the "warming time" makes me think in that direction.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Richard_BoK:

I can order the 555 timer but what type of capacitors are C16 & C17? I know they are rated at .01mfd and .1fd but are the ceramic, radial, axial, etc...?

Thanks for all the help!

#6 8 years ago

I would check the caps on the power supply. Too much AC ripple can cause this.

1 week later
#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Richard_BoK:

I replaced the 555 and the 2 caps around it. I still have flickering and now a buzzing/humming sound when it warms?????

Any other items to try or look at?

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from nwkadm:

Any other items to try or look at?

Have you checked all power supply voltages for level and A/C ripple.

#9 8 years ago

Some quick questions. Have the displays been working fine without Q22 working? If so, that's not the issue. When did you first learn of
the display issues? After how long owning this machine?

I would suspect the MC1545 IC as they drive this IC Drives the digit segments. First re flow the solder to ensure that it's not just dry
solder joints. Then replace one at first to see if there are any changes. As for the resistors, look at the schematic for display and use a
meter to determine if you have the proper ohm resistance before changing everything.

#10 8 years ago

It appears as if I have corrected the issue. Another person suggested that I look at the high voltage regulator and C26 - I resoldered the leads on this capacitor and also (from another post) the IC on the digit display - pin 13...... I no longer have flickering display - thanks all!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-le-flickering-displays-update and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.