You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7C7E6975-DB2D-4BCA-BD29-207850938AF0 (resized).jpeg
390bfcccc57e8c624c908a972e5242a7280aee13 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hi all

Working on an eight ball deluxe. The game turns on fine and i do get 7 flashes on the mpu. It will accept coins and shows credits. When i push the start button, nothing happens. I do see that the transistor for the coin lock out is bad and the coil stays on. I was wondering if that could cause the issue or if there was something else. I have tried to start the game with and without a ball in it as well.

Thanks

#2 2 years ago

That coil is supposed to stay on.

#3 2 years ago

Make sure the solenoid expander has a bulb installed near it. The outhole is on the expanded circuit.

#4 2 years ago

Does the game recognize there is a ball in it? Start button switch is good?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Make sure the solenoid expander has a bulb installed near it. The outhole is on the expanded circuit.

what does that look like and where is it located

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

what does that look like and where is it located

Under the playfield. It needs to have an incandescent bulb installed. NO LEDS! ask me how i know

390bfcccc57e8c624c908a972e5242a7280aee13 (resized).jpg390bfcccc57e8c624c908a972e5242a7280aee13 (resized).jpg
#7 2 years ago

On that note, since it boots into attract and credits up, I would suspect the start switch. If the game starts and the outhole doesn't kick, then there might be a problem with the outhole switch or solenoid, but it doesn't sound like it starts a game at all, so I would check the Start switch and wiring.

#8 2 years ago

wow thanks for the info. I will try those out and report back.

#9 2 years ago

hi all
thanks for you help. after digging through the manual i figured out how to get into the switch test. the start button leaf switch was not working correctly. I should have did that first. Thanks for the information as well as that will help with future projects.

#10 2 years ago

Well I stand corrected. Replaced switch. Worked for a bit and then stopped. This is what the board looks like but I think part of the mpu has an issue that send the signal to the aux lamp board

7C7E6975-DB2D-4BCA-BD29-207850938AF0 (resized).jpeg7C7E6975-DB2D-4BCA-BD29-207850938AF0 (resized).jpeg
#11 2 years ago

So the start switch does absolutely nothing? Or it does the fanfare of a game start but just doesn't serve the ball? Only if it does the latter would that SEB board be a suspect, otherwise a switch issue with the switch or it's wiring, diode, its wires going to the head, etc.

#12 2 years ago

the start button doesnt start a game consistantly. there are enough credits. when you press the button nothing happends. has new switch and diode on it.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

the start button doesnt start a game consistantly. there are enough credits. when you press the button nothing happends. has new switch and diode on it.

Are you looking at the switch with the playfield up when starting a game to make sure the switch is making contact and properly adjusted?

Is the game recognizing there is a ball in the trough consistently?

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Is the game recognizing there is a ball in the trough consistently?

That is completely immaterial on EBD it does not look for the outhole switch being closed to be able to start a game.

#15 2 years ago

out hole switch works fine as i tested it during the switch test. i tested it manually and with a ball in the hole. i also tested the start button switch using the switch test and it is intermittent and now doesnt respond.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

out hole switch works fine as i tested it during the switch test. i tested it manually and with a ball in the hole. i also tested the start button switch using the switch test and it is intermittent and now doesnt respond.

Intermittent during switch test?

Get a DMM and set it to continuity and confirm that the switch is making good contact (game off). If it is, then check the connector and header pins that the switch runs to. I'll have to look in the manual, but if you haven't reflowed solder to any of the header pins on the MPU, it could be a cold/cracked solder joint.

But check that the physical switch is good first (likely it is if it's new).

I would suggest if you have not gone through any of the header pins yet, to at the very least reflow solder to them.

#17 2 years ago

You have 2 separate issues.

Lets deal with the game start first.
You need to put the game in switch test and get the start button registering. It sounds like the button is not adjusted correctly. If pressing the button does not list the correct number on the displays you have a bad adjustment or loose wire. Also make sure the paper or plastic insulator is intact. There should be no electrical connection to the button itself.

The Solenoid Expander has no connection with the switches. In the photo above it shows the wiring has been hacked and needs to be repaired with new KK .156 crimps and a new shell. A bad SE board will cause numerous coil fails.

2 weeks later
#18 2 years ago

Game is now fixed. Cleaned all the pins on the boards. Some had corrosion and some had green goop on them. Fixed the lights. Issue was 2 pins on J1 had the green goop on there. Replaced the pins and lights work.

#19 2 years ago

game is now working. cleaned all the pins on all boards. some had the green goop on it. lots were just very dirty. the auxillary light driver board didnt work because of 2 pins on j1 had the green goop on them. replaced the pin and cleaned to goop off. lights all work now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 199.95
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 179.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-game-wont-start?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.