(Topic ID: 143535)

Eight Ball Deluxe - Free play option? No/yes?

By Barakawins1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by fb_rider
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Is there a free play setting that I'm missing on eight ball deluxe? How do you set the original mpu for free play?

#2 8 years ago

Unless you have an Alltek board you cannot set free play on the early Bally's. What most people do is to set the first replay level at say 10,000 points. That way each time you play it will perpetuate a free game.

#3 8 years ago

+1. Set max credits to 40 and replay threshold as low as it will go.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Is there a free play setting that I'm missing on eight ball deluxe? How do you set the original mpu for free play?

NO!

If you want a proper free play, you buy an Altek Ultimate MPU board which has a free play option built in. Another plus is that you don't need batteries with the Altek so no leakage problems.

#5 8 years ago

I wired up an old bally with a separate start switch stacked with the existing start switch. I disconnected the wired from the coin switch and connected to this switch. Every start press added a credit.

Note: this interrupts the tone of your game uses a different sound for start as credit.

#6 8 years ago

Sadly, no. I just put on 40 credits and run them down. That takes quite a while to play off 40 games.

I used to leave the replay score low but it made me sad to hear it go off all of the time and removed the joy of hearing it go off when I was doing a good job playing.

#7 8 years ago

I thought that were game ROMs that allowed the stock boards to run w/free play option?!? But I agree the Altek boards are the best option for this on Bally games. Now if we could only get them to make a version that allowed this for the Stern pins as well...

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

If you have the ROM that fixes the bonus bug, you can set the dip switch 25 and dip switch 26 to "ON" and then freeplay is enabled.

If you have the factory ROM, you will need to burn a new one:

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

#9 8 years ago

I used to just wire a credit button where the coin door lock went.

#10 8 years ago

+1 for easy replay. Super easy and takes 2 secs to setup in the menus.

#11 8 years ago

Vid, as always, thanks for the great info and link. I did not know that software existed. I will put it in the pile of things to do the next time I set-up the chip burner.

#12 8 years ago

If you have an original ROM on your MPU board, and you find and burn the ROM Vid's talking about, you may have to rejumper your MPU board.

It's not a big deal to do, but something to know ahead of time.

#13 8 years ago

+1 to getting the rom and doing the jumpers, they are quite easy. Of course many sites don't mention that on a -35 board the 9-12 jumper should be there. I burn home roms for my games and for friends machines to save the hassle.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you have the ROM that fixes the bonus bug, you can set the dip switch 25 and dip switch 26 to "ON" and then freeplay is enabled.

This worked! Free play... yeah buddy! Thanks

5 years later
#15 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is this still doable? If so, can someone post exactly what I need with detailed instructions. I would like to learn how to do this but currently don't have anything, so I'd be starting fresh.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 179.00
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-free-play-option-noyes?hl=fb_rider and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.