Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pindude80
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I played a few games on my EBD last night. The first few games everything was normal then I started getting weird drop target problems. The first thing I noticed was I knocked down the eight ball target but I didn't get credit for it and the light that was up by the drop target was still lit. Then I noticed I knocked down the 2x target, it didn't light up on the bottom of the playfield and when draining the ball the 2x target didn't come back up, the same happened with the eight ball target where it didn't come back up after a ball drain. I also noticed that when the next ball was served and all of the ball targets were down they would each individually "twitch" but didn't do anything else. I started a new game several times and it would start out by automatically dropping a few of the ball targets even though a ball hadn't been plunged yet.

Any ideas on what the problem is or what I need to look at?

#2 5 years ago

I am guessing connector issues or possibly a chip on the mpu that is getting flakey.

#3 5 years ago

Those are the two things that came to my mind also. I reset the connectors on the mpu board, but no change. Does anyone know if there is any one particular connector that I need to take a close look at?

#5 5 years ago

Thanks for the link! I pulled J4 on the MPU, took a close look, and it's definitely seen better days; pin 5 was literally hanging on by a couple strands. J4 is a 19 pin connector, unfortunately I don't have one of those in my stash so I'm going to order a 19 pin molex connector from Great Plains Electronics and report back when it's done.

#6 5 years ago

just did this repair tonight.
J4 on the MPU was the culprit. I was getting random knocker firing , right sling would make a drop fall, lower pop bumper would make right sling fire, etc. at first i thought it was a cap issue on a switch, but that would not make the knocker fire at random when a switch is hit.

some games played were fine, then start another game and these oddities would happen.
report back after you replace J4 to confirm it fixed your issue.

1 month later
#7 5 years ago

I finally got around to replacing the J4 connector on the MPU board; I converted to a molex connector. After I replaced it I was still having the same problems. I knew pin 5, the yellow wire, is what was giving me my problems before so I moved it around and the game started working properly. Even though it was working properly I didn't want this demon to pop up again later, me forget what the culprit was, and have to start the diagnosing process over again so I cut the wire close to where it came out of the harness, soldered in a new wire, re-connected and so far so good!

Thanks to rcbrown316 for pointing me in the right direction!

1 month later
#8 5 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I finally got around to replacing the J4 connector on the MPU board; I converted to a molex connector. After I replaced it I was still having the same problems. I knew pin 5, the yellow wire, is what was giving me my problems before so I moved it around and the game started working properly. Even though it was working properly I didn't want this demon to pop up again later, me forget what the culprit was, and have to start the diagnosing process over again so I cut the wire close to where it came out of the harness, soldered in a new wire, re-connected and so far so good!
Thanks to rcbrown316 for pointing me in the right direction!

No problem man! this was the singlemost aggravating problem I have ever had on a pinball machine. quench solved it for me. I will never forget and always pay it forward..

#9 5 years ago

I recently got my EBD going again after it sat for a year when I gave up trying to figure it out. Was also my most aggravating pin diagnosis ever. I worked thru a bunch of problems and nearly all of them were because of J4 connector issues. Tips from Pinside folks pointed me in the right direction!

#10 5 years ago

yeah those little .100 connectors, and the hacks done to them over the years seems to cause a lot of problems in these older games.

2 weeks later
#11 5 years ago

Unfortunately my problem has returned So, I'm thinking maybe cold solder joint on the J4 pins on MPU board, bad chip, or chip needs re-seated, any thoughts?

#12 5 years ago

Just my two cents - in my experience, if the connector pins are that badly worn, its likely the connector on the boards are just as bad. You can try to clean the pins on the board, but the problems will come back. Changing the connector on the boards are the only way to go. On the plus side of changing the connectors on the board, you also eliminate cold solder joints.

#13 5 years ago

Yeah probably not a bad idea to have the pins changed out and like you said would get rid of cold solder joint concerns at same time. Could it be the chip though?

#14 5 years ago

If you don't want to go to the trouble of removing the connector pins (not sure how comfortable you are with board work), you could try just re-flowing the pins on J4 for the meantime. If it fixes the problem again, then you *know* you'll have to replace the male headers if it should happen yet again.

I also find it easier to remove the headers by re-flowing the pins first anyway, the fresh bit of fresh solder helps make removal easier when you go at it with a desoldering tool.

3 months later
#15 4 years ago

So finally getting back to looking into this. Header pins on J2 and J4 replaced. I also converted J2 and J3 to trifurcon connectors and installed new crimp connectors on both connectors. Still getting the same problem. I'm not sure if I mentioned this or if it even did this before but the first switch I hit on the first ball fires the knocker, at the end of the game the knocker fires about 5 times. Still having the same problem where the 8 ball drop target doesn't come up and when I hit the 2x multiplier target it doesn't light 2x on the playfield and the 2x target does not reset at the end of the ball.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should look at next?

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should look at next?

Go into solenoid test mode.
Look at the solenoid identification table in the manual (printed page 17).
Make a note of every coil that activates at the wrong time and which wrong coil activates, and also if no coils activate when one should.
Report your findings.

#17 4 years ago

Quench, I did as you instructed and all of the solenoids activate at the right time.

#18 4 years ago

Ok, next thing to do is perform the switch test mode.
Raise all the drop targets and remove the ball from the outhole first.

The game should report "0" in the ball in play display indicating no closed switches. If not, let us know what switch number the displays are reporting.

Using the switch identification table in the manual (page 17 again), activate each switch one at a time but do it in REVERSE order listed in the manual - i.e. start at switch 40 and work your way in reverse sequence to switch 1. Let us know if and which switches indicate the wrong number.

#19 4 years ago

Yes the switch test. As for your 8 ball and 2X targets not resetting, given that they are also not registering when hit as you describe it sounds like the latter is the issue. The switches themselves, switch matrix etc. Upon serving a ball, starting a game or even on power up, the game will only reset those banks if it sees that there are closed switch(es) on them.

#20 4 years ago

I did the switch test as Quench described. I had a zero on the credit/ball display to start with indicating no stuck switches. When I got to the eight ball target, switch 33, it didn't register, same thing with switch 25 for the "D" target in Deluxe and switch 17 for the 1 ball / 9 ball drop target. When I got to the coin mech switches as soon as I touched the right coin switch, 9, it indicated switch 17 for the 1 ball / 9 ball drop target which didn't register when I tested it. Last December I installed one of the coin-up switches on the front of the door because I took the game to a local show and I had wired it to this switch so people could put credits on it. I disconnected the coin-up switch and went back to check the switches that were't registering and sure enough they were registering again!

At first I wasn't sure if the switch shorted out or what the deal was because I obviously wasn't pressing it. I took a closer look at the coin switch I had the coin up wired to, compared to the other two coin mech switches, and I noticed the one I wired the switch to only had one red wire running to each of the two terminals and the other two switches had two wires running to one terminal and a single wire to one of the other terminals on the switch.

Thanks for telling me what to do to find this problem!

#21 4 years ago

Great to hear you worked it out!

#22 4 years ago

You and me both! As always, thanks for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 90.00
$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-drop-target-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.