New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 177472)

Eight Ball Deluxe Classic (1984) Owners and Fans

By Blitzburgh99

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 44 days ago by Mathazar
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 104 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Playfield Transformation (resized).jpg
IMG_8651 (resized).JPG
IMG_8650 (resized).JPG
IMG_8649 (resized).JPG
IMG_8648 (resized).JPG
IMG_8636 (resized).JPG
IMG_8634 (resized).JPG
IMG_8633 (resized).JPG
IMG_8632 (resized).JPG
IMG_8630 (resized).JPG
IMG_8629 (resized).JPG
IMG_8628 (resized).JPG
IMG_8625 (resized).JPG
IMG_8626 (resized).JPG
IMG_8627 (resized).JPG
Tilt Board 02 (resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

This thread is for information sharing that is specific to the 1984 Bally/Midway version of Eight Ball Deluxe.

The original run of this game, Bally's 1981 'Eight Ball Deluxe', was so successful, it was produced again. This subsequent run is often referred to as the "third version" because it followed the production of Bally's 1982 'Eight Ball Deluxe Limited Edition'.

Also referenced as the "Classic" version, the 3rd edition has some unique aspects that sets it apart from the first two releases. For this reason, let's use this thread to help each other out when needing specific "Classic" relevant items.

This version EBD differs from the original version as follows:
1) Apron (cardholder) is black and shows Bally Midway.
2) Entire front of cabinet is black.
3) Side edges of backbox are beveled. Cabinet art is decals.
4) Playfield lamps are mounted on PCB boards, not individual light sockets.
5) Slightly smaller hinged backglass that swings out.

IMG_5746 (resized).JPG
IMG_5751 (resized).JPG
IMG_5747 (resized).JPG
IMG_5748 (resized).JPG
IMG_5749 (resized).JPG
IMG_5750 (resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

Reproduction Aprons

There is a project underway to reproduce Bally SS Aprons. So far the EBD Classic is not getting enough interest to have that specific apron added into the manufacturing queue.

If you have a Classic, are you interested in getting a new Apron? If so, please post your interest here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reproduction-bally-aprons

#3 3 years ago

Production Numbers.

Looking at Pinside and IPBD, neither has the production total for 1984 Eight Ball Deluxe. Does anyone know for sure how many Classics were released?

#4 3 years ago

Instruction Cards.

The Classic originally came with same cards as the Limited Edition version. In looking at Pinball Rebel and Pinball Cards for custom cards, almost all of them reference the original 1981 version info (release year and production number, as examples).

Does anyone know how to edit all of those to reflect 1984 release year and add production number info? Not necessarily wanting to reinvent the wheel here, as there are some great designs out there. But having more applicable version info would seem beneficial.

2 weeks later
#5 3 years ago

Production Run: <2658 (estimated)
Mr. Pinball Price Guide 2016

I found 23 Bally-Midway differences from the 1981 original version and growing. Many were reported in my bonus review video.

I have rights to make corrections on PinSide, however I still cannot update thumbnails and incorrect videos that link wrong games.

1 week later
#6 3 years ago

What color flipper rubbers belong on the '84 Classic? Yellow? Red? Other?

#7 3 years ago

I had this version for 20+ years. I regretted selling it so much, I now have the original AND the LE

The one down-side of this version is the particle board cabinet.

#8 3 years ago

just picked one up and I already have a 1981 original version, so the '84 is up for trade. The factory mylar on the '84 did a beautiful job of protecting the playfield...it looks great!
The decal cabinet art has almost no yellow left on it from sun fade, but it looks kinda cool just black and white!

8bd2 (resized).JPG

8bd4 (resized).JPG

#9 3 years ago

EBD84 has 6 ratings and needs 9 more to be included in the rankings. If you have an EBD84, make sure you enter your ratings and get our version on the list. The LE is up there...why not ours?

7 months later
#10 3 years ago

Picked up one of these. It will be getting all the boardwork and refurbished/shop job things needed to get it up and running.

1 week later
#11 3 years ago

Bought an ebd yesterday. Worked at the guys house, but it trips my gfci every time. Most of the time right away. Sometimes it plays 20-30 seconds... any ideas?

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Bought an ebd yesterday. Worked at the guys house, but it trips my gfci every time. Most of the time right away. Sometimes it plays 20-30 seconds... any ideas?

Sounds like someone jumped the fuses with foil. Please confirm you have the correct fuse value and type in the game before you continue and that they are not jumpered!

Next step would be to test and inspect the power cord to confirm it is not damaged. If it is, replace it.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Sounds like someone jumped the fuses with foil. Please confirm you have the correct fuse value and type in the game before you continue and that they are not jumpered!
Next step would be to test and inspect the power cord to confirm it is not damaged. If it is, replace it.

All fuses good. The power module has seen better days. Two wires have been removed from a connector and soldered to the back of the board. Along with the solder gobs on top. The power cord looks good but is old. I am going to replace it either way.

IMG_2850 (resized).JPG

#14 3 years ago

Lol, looks like someone may have bypassed the main line fuse in that picture you posted. (That black plastic thing laying in its side).

That could be the main cause of your problem. I'm guessing you have a bad component in the power supply and someone bypassed the line fuse to try and keep the game going.

7 months later
#15 2 years ago

I've finally joined the EBD club by picking up a Classic a couple of months ago. EBD came out while I was in high school and it immediately become my favorite pin and still is to this day. I probably pumped enough quarters in EBD over the last 36 years that I could probably own 3 or 4 outright by now.

Shopped, LED conversion, cleaned, and waxed - plays very well and everything works. I had the cabinet stripped down, scratches/carvings/cigarette burns repaired, and re-painted. Purists may cringe, but since I was unable to find any stencils or decals for the Classic version with the "good" cowboy I opted to use the stencils of the "bad" cowboy from the 1981 original edition. One nice benefit from that since the cowboy silhouette is set further to the rear is that the key hole for the back box is now nicely hidden by the black paint instead of being right there in the cowboy's mouth as it is with the "good" cowboy on the Classic version.

I'd give the cabinet a 9.5/10 even tho it's particle board, the backglass a 9/10, and the playfield a 7.5/10. Very happy with the way it plays and looks now, but if I can ever get my hands on a CPR or clear coated pristine playfield, I'd snap it up as that's the last major thing I need to do.

IMG_5354 (resized).JPG

IMG_5355 (resized).JPG

IMG_5350 (resized).JPG

IMG_5357 (resized).JPG

IMG_5358 (resized).JPG

IMG_5360 (resized).JPG

IMG_5361 (resized).JPG

IMG_5363 (resized).JPG

#16 2 years ago

Looks great. What color did you use for the gold mustard color?

#17 2 years ago

I had a local pinball shop with a paint booth do it - I'll ask him next time I see him.

#18 2 years ago

Our Eight Ball Deluxe is almost finished with:
PiniTech Displays, Green filters.

http://www.pinitech.com/products/ballystern_display_uno.php

Creative wife made display masks from black poster board,
exacto-knife, scotch tape, green filter material from
Pini-Tech came with displays. Looks wonderful.
Have parts to put in green lighted flipper buttons
with brightness adjustment.
One of my longest learning curves and third EBD to finally have a nice one. Game is so fun and all guests get it. Our plumber remembers and likes EBD.

Kit from Comet pinball in shop downstairs, also kits to be used for Gorgar (red), Flash (blue), Firepower (color changing slow), Guns & Roses (red with red flipper buttons):

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/kit-lit-button.htm

Green and clear set of flipper buttons, housings, clear plastic strap from:

http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/replacement-parts-c-28.html?osCsid=6c69952934c4ded9050f645c401f5b40

IMG_3721 (resized).JPG

IMG_3722 (resized).JPG

IMG_3723 (resized).JPG

IMG_3724 (resized).JPG

IMG_3726 (resized).JPG

IMG_3725 (resized).JPG

IMG_3729 (resized).JPG

IMG_3731 (resized).JPG

IMG_3732 (resized).JPG

IMG_3733 (resized).JPG

IMG_3734 (resized).JPG

IMG_3738 (resized).JPG

IMG_3739 (resized).JPG

IMG_3742 (resized).JPG

IMG_3743 (resized).JPG

IMG_3744 (resized).JPG

IMG_3746 (resized).JPG

IMG_3747 (resized).JPG

IMG_3749 (resized).JPG

IMG_3751 (resized).JPG

IMG_3752 (resized).JPG

IMG_3753 (resized).JPG

IMG_3754 (resized).JPG

IMG_3728 (resized).JPG

IMG_3721.JPG

IMG_3722.JPG

IMG_3723.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

IMG_3725.JPG

IMG_3726.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG

IMG_3731.JPG

IMG_3729.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

IMG_3733.JPG

IMG_3738.JPG

IMG_3734.JPG

IMG_3739.JPG

IMG_3742.JPG

IMG_3743.JPG

IMG_3744.JPG

IMG_3746.JPG

IMG_3747.JPG

IMG_3751.JPG

IMG_3749.JPG

IMG_3752.JPG

IMG_3753.JPG

IMG_3754.JPG

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from alimerick:

Our Eight Ball Deluxe is almost finished with:
PiniTech Displays, Green filters.
http://www.pinitech.com/products/ballystern_display_uno.php
Creative wife made display masks from black poster board,
exacto-knife, scotch tape, green filter material from
Pini-Tech came with displays. Looks wonderful.
Have parts to put in green lighted flipper buttons
with brightness adjustment.
One of my longest learning curves and third EBD to finally have a nice one. Game is so fun and all guests get it. Our plumber remembers and likes EBD.
Kit from Comet pinball in shop downstairs, also kits to be used for Gorgar (red), Flash (blue), Firepower (color changing slow), Guns & Roses (red with red flipper buttons):
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/kit-lit-button.htm
Green and clear set of flipper buttons, housings, clear plastic strap from:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/replacement-parts-c-28.html?osCsid=6c69952934c4ded9050f645c401f5b40

Looks like a 1981, this is the thread you are looking for.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well

1 month later
#20 2 years ago

WTB the 1984 version EBD backglass if anyone has a line on one.

1 month later
#21 2 years ago

Been playing a bit more Eight Ball Deluxe today. There is something very attractive about this game; very nice in layout and art, so a good overall package. I think this is my favorite classic pin from the early eighties (at least of the ones I have tried so far).

#22 2 years ago

Why is the 1984 model not listed on pinside?

B1049738-BB71-43F2-805F-DE7DAC05251F (resized).jpeg
#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Why is the 1984 model not listed on pinside?
[quoted image]

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/eight-ball-classic

1 week later
#24 2 years ago

Jusy got done cleaning and waxing. New posts and runners too!

384BC2CA-AE83-4AD2-8CF2-FD47CA4EFF4B (resized).jpeg4944ABA0-68F0-48F4-B3FC-00E532642D82 (resized).jpegAE3F2F12-FE28-476D-B47F-C7C8D7D0CFC2 (resized).jpegF11494C0-2FA0-45F4-BBD0-698899078600 (resized).jpeg
#25 2 years ago
Quoted from Lemank:

Jusy got done cleaning and waxing. New posts and runners too!

That playfield looks really nice.

#26 2 years ago

Hi, here's pics of this restored playfield i made about 2 years ago.
I use a little imagination for this restoration.
The balls now have their own colors, not the same as the rest of the playfield artwork and also no more dot patern to create
colors like the brown or violet. All ball colors are full colors and real colors for pool balls.
Also i use color skin for the pool girl, no more white skin

IMG_6366 (resized).JPGIMG_6367 (resized).JPGIMG_6368 (resized).JPG
#27 2 years ago

I use warm white leds under playfield to save it from heavy heat, they have a fade in fade out effect and no flicker. Incandescent bulbs for GI. It's very hard to tell the differences between those leds and the incandescent, they look the same.

IMG_6371 (resized).JPG
5 months later
#28 1 year ago
Quoted from HPR:

I use warm white leds under playfield to save it from heavy heat, they have a fade in fade out effect and no flicker. Incandescent bulbs for GI. It's very hard to tell the differences between those leds and the incandescent, they look the same.
[quoted image]

What bulbs are you using that fade in and out?

6 months later
#29 1 year ago

Just finished restoring a Classic 1984 Bally/Midway EBD.

Check it out here:

pinballdoctor.com

DSC05034 (resized).JPGDSC05035 (resized).JPGDSC05038 (resized).JPGDSC05039 (resized).JPGDSC05040 (resized).JPGDSC05041 (resized).JPGDSC05043 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#30 1 year ago

Awesome work DRDAVE! That video was very enjoyable to watch. Loved how you said “ok...one more game” after the quick first one. Haha!

#31 1 year ago

Nice job, drdave. Curious - did you repaint the cabinet (looks too good to be original)? I ask because when I re-did my '84, the only EBD stencil I could find was the one with the "mean" cowboy with the Bally logo from the '81 graphics for the backbox. The correct cowboy for the '84 is what you have (the "nice/happy" one). Here's my '84 where I had to use the '81 stencil - still love my machine, but someday I'd like to make it "right".

IMG_5361.jpg
#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Nice job, drdave. Curious - did you repaint the cabinet (looks too good to be original)? I ask because when I re-did my '84, the only EBD stencil I could find was the one with the "mean" cowboy with the Bally logo from the '81 graphics for the backbox. The correct cowboy for the '84 is what you have (the "nice/happy" one). Here's my '84 where I had to use the '81 stencil - still love my machine, but someday I'd like to make it "right".[quoted image]

I think it looks great! Nothing wrong with what you did....How did you prep the cabinet? IIRC, the 84 is particle board and decals.

#33 1 year ago

Awesome work DRDAVE! That video was very enjoyable to watch. Loved how you said “ok...one more game” after the quick first one. Haha!

Thank you. =)

That first game was "performance anxiety"

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Nice job, drdave. Curious - did you repaint the cabinet (looks too good to be original)? I ask because when I re-did my '84, the only EBD stencil I could find was the one with the "mean" cowboy with the Bally logo from the '81 graphics for the backbox. The correct cowboy for the '84 is what you have (the "nice/happy" one). Here's my '84 where I had to use the '81 stencil - still love my machine, but someday I'd like to make it "right".[quoted image]

The cabinet art and playfield are all original. We only had to do a small amount of touch ups to the cabinet and head where some bumps and scrapes were present. It is the nicest original 84 cabinet I have seen. You are correct about these 84's usually suffer from sever fading.

#35 1 year ago

I think it looks great! Nothing wrong with what you did....How did you prep the cabinet? IIRC, the 84 is particle board and decals.

Thanx! Indeed - particle board and decals. Fortunately, the cabinet was in pretty good shape structurally when I got it but the artwork was really badly faded and lots of scruff marks, scratches, and peeling. Scrubbing with Simple Green got a lot of the decals off, then filled in with wood epoxy about half dozen holes, corners, and deeper scratches followed by sanding with 220 grit to clean the rest of the decals off and get a smooth surface for painting. Primer coat with Kilz, then the Pinball Pimp '81 EBD stencil. It was my first repaint, learned alot, but I'm not sure I'd want to go thru it again.

#36 1 year ago

Call it a transition pin.

First - nice job Dave!

It’s a Midway. They were in the video business making mdf decal cabinets. I have a Fireball Classic. Same. I had a Kings of Steel. Same. I don’t believe anyone is reproducing any of these decals? If so please advise.

So it’s a Bally SS in a new cabinet. It was a money saving measure.

3 weeks later
#37 1 year ago

Just delivered the 1984 EBD I restored to my client in upstate NH.

Check out our podcast as we go road tripping to deliver it and discuss some of the differences and nuances of the 1984 version on the way:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-classic-pinball-podcast-1984-ebd-delivery-road-trip

1 month later
#38 11 months ago

Anyone have an 84' backglass for sale? I've got a beautiful 81' but does me no good for the 84' game.

2 months later
#39 9 months ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

What bulbs are you using that fade in and out?

It's warm white optix from comet, but i mod them with a piece of white sticker over them to lower the brightness.
The effect is a perfect match with incandescents under inserts.

4 months later
#40 4 months ago

My 1984 playfield underside has a 3 fuses as opposed to the one you usually see on the 1981 playfield. This is normal, right, not a jury-rig from a previous owner? The schematics in my 1984 manual all have "1980" or "1981" on them and no references to the three fuses.

Anyone have a schematic with the three fuses?

IMG_8602 (resized).jpg
#41 4 months ago

I believe that my EBD-LE has those 3 fuses.
I'm at work right now and can't check.
Maybe try looking at an LE schematic.

2 months later
#42 44 days ago

Haven't posted here in a while....since my last post a year ago after repainting the exterior of my cabinet, I've gone ahead and repainted the cabinet interior as well along with a few custom points here in the form of blue accents (flipper rubbers, flipper buttons, acorn screws for the topside plastics, pop bumper skirts, and various cabinet pieces in the interior). I also tore down, polished, and rebuilt the coin door around a new wiring hardness and installed a hardtop to replace the dinged, scratched, and planking playfield.

Coin Door (1) (resized).jpgCoin Door (2) (resized).jpgIMG_8625 (resized).JPGIMG_8626 (resized).JPGIMG_8627 (resized).JPGIMG_8628 (resized).JPGIMG_8629 (resized).JPGIMG_8630 (resized).JPGIMG_8632 (resized).JPGIMG_8633 (resized).JPGIMG_8634 (resized).JPGIMG_8636 (resized).JPGIMG_8648 (resized).JPGIMG_8649 (resized).JPGIMG_8650 (resized).JPGIMG_8651 (resized).JPGLower Cab 01a (resized).JPGLower Cab 01b (resized).JPGPlayfield Transformation (resized).jpgTilt Board 01 (resized).JPGTilt Board 02 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hamilton, OH
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside