Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RoyGBev
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I have 4 sockets that will NOT light up. One of them will BARELY light, just a slight glow. Replace that socket with a new 555 socket, same result. The other three, I can jumper voltage from another socket, lights work. If I reconnect the proper wire that was removed from the original socket, nothing. Thoughts?

#2 4 years ago

Replace with a 47 socket. If it is not that try another light board.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from R8f1k:

I have 4 sockets that will NOT light up. One of them will BARELY light, just a slight glow. Replace that socket with a new 555 socket, same result. The other three, I can jumper voltage from another socket, lights work. If I reconnect the proper wire that was removed from the original socket, nothing. Thoughts?

I'd be thinking SCR if the new socket doesn't work.

#4 4 years ago

I have an EBD (1984) that uses the 555 sockets. Those sockets are 1000000000x better than the garbage bayonet sockets Bally used for years prior. There are two very common causes for bulbs not illuminating. 1.) The SCRs. The lamp and auxiliary lamp boards are unchanged from the early Bally SS games. The 2N5060 and to a lesser extent MCR106 transistors on the lamp board are highly prone to failure. Schematics clearly tell you which "Q" number controls that lamp and they are very easy to test with a multimeter and very inexpensive to replace. 2.) The pins on the lamp/aux lamp driver board are prone to cold solder joints. My "1 ball" lamp would not illuminate despite the socket testing good and the chip/SCR testing good. I was completely stumped only to notice the lamp turned on in all-lamp test when I jiggled the board connector. The solder joint was so bad that I was able to pull the pin out with my fingers!

It's almost never the socket on these games. The 555 sockets are actually really good.

1 week later
#5 4 years ago

Different light board, no change. Soldering looks good. Same issue, just 4 lights out

#6 4 years ago

I have a connector kit. I am going to try to install that kit and see if that does anything.

1 week later
#7 4 years ago

Which lights? Originating from the main lamp board, or the auxiliary lamp board?

#8 4 years ago

I've been troubleshooting lights in my Eight ball Deluxe. I ordered and Altek lamp driver to act as a "control" to help me understand what parts of the machine are malfunctioning. For some of my lamps that just would not light after checking for good bulbs and good 555 fixtures, I've traced the problem to specific transistors on the lamp board. I watched this video ton how to check transistors:

Sure enough the lamps that won't come on correspond to the specific transistors on the old lamp driver board for those lights. I've got a $15 ebay repair kit inbound so hopefully I can make the old lamp board work correctly and save my Altek board for troubleshooting on other machines.

#9 4 years ago

Another alternative is Ed at Great Plains Electronics. https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=17

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

It's almost never the socket on these games. The 555 sockets are actually really good.

Same with my original Centaur and an Elektra I had for awhile. Two or three problem sockets on each when I got them. After cleaning and squeezing the contacts closer together, no problems. No flicker, no dim GI.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 179.00
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-555-sockets-are-giving-me-a-hard-time and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.