Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by geeteoh
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Had a MPU problem with one of the pops energizing at start up. 6803 board was sent out and repaired. Game works now except there is no sound. Sound board test button produces all of the sounds but nothing during gameplay. Well known reputable board repair person that says check the MPU again to see if I forgot to plug something back onto the MPU. I'll double check when I get out there again but yesterday I didn't notice anything missing. What connectors on the MPU go to the sound board? Any suggestions? Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

Look in your manual. I think is register 50 has to be set to 1 to enable S&T. Otherwise it’s looking for the cheap squeak. And register 27 is set to 3 to get all sounds and background.

#3 2 years ago

Well i did get the S & T working. it was the register 50 setting and 27. Had to adjust one of the pots to increase the background sound as it was barely there. Now something else has come up. On first start up there was 1 feature lamp out.. Checked the lamp board and connectors and even tried swapping out the diode. Still out but other than that 100% working. Then one by one about 1/2 of the feature lights went out randomly on the playfield. The one that was out to start that I changed the diode for started working again. Then the background sound went out and the pot did nothing to bring it back. At this point it was giiving the wrong call outs for the targets. This continued until there was only a single call out for every target, star or roll over on the playfield? Sound board and MPU both issues?

#4 2 years ago

I believe your sound board is fine.

I'm not familiar with the MPU that is in your machine. My experience has been mostly with the Bally MPU just before yours. However, it sounds like an issue with the MPU or header pin/harness issues at the MPU. You could try inspecting the header pin solder joints and harness connections at the MPU. A modern replacement MPU is also be a good idea. Starting with a known-good brain in your machine helps diagnose other issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-champ-no-sound-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.