(Topic ID: 181793)

Eight Ball (1977) Club - Old, simple... but wonderful!

By nibre

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 192 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

detail (resized).jpeg
IMG_0778 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0717 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2502 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2500 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2501 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2499 (resized).jpeg
detail (resized).jpeg
IMG_2482 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2396 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2397 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2398 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2387 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2386 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2385 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2400 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bjm-maxx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 6 years ago

Eight Ball was my third pinball and 1st restoration. Eight Ball came to me with a totally worn out ball rack section that somebody further ruined with a poor paint job that then lifted. The cabinet was missing a ton of paint and along with cigarette burns. I redrew the artwork from scratch, sent the playfield through a modern flatbed printer, then clear coated it and rebuilt it. Found a CPR backglass since the original was mostly empty spaces.

20160322_005512948_iOS (resized).jpg20160322_005512948_iOS (resized).jpg
20160322_005521794_iOS (resized).jpg20160322_005521794_iOS (resized).jpg
20160322_005557881_iOS (resized).jpg20160322_005557881_iOS (resized).jpg
20160322_005550110_iOS (resized).jpg20160322_005550110_iOS (resized).jpg

1 year later
#27 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Most if not all have been repinned. The MPU at some point has alkaline damage. It’s been cleaned up, but is probably part of the problem. Checking Weebly now. They also sell an MPU board. What’s the difference between a Weebly MPU and Alltek, besides Alltek costing more?

The Alltek has all the game ROMs onboard, you select the one you want with DIP switches, makes it easy to move between games. The Weebly uses the original game ROMs, you need to swap chips if you switch games.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The NVRW MPU uses a single combo ROM with all the game software selected by dip switch
https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html

How new is that feature? I swear 3 months ago it was not there. That makes a big difference.

#45 4 years ago

Do you have the extra lead wired in, where did you connect it? Did you check those sockets with incandescents?

7 months later
#67 3 years ago

This thread needs more activity. My first pinball was a Black Jack which has several layout similarities to Eight Ball. I got a really rough Eight Ball soon after and restored it and had them side by side for quite a while. I could roll Black Jack over from time to time. Eight Ball defied me forever, I have only done it twice now. For some reason I play Eight Ball as a 5 ball game because of how they were when I was young. Everything else I own is 3 ball.

I find Eight Ball pretty merciless and I own a Flash Gordon! One of the toughest games I own with the huge left outlane.

10 months later
#78 2 years ago

The title of this thread says it all, simple but wonderful.

3 months later
#90 2 years ago
Quoted from bushav:

I finally had the time to work on my new eight ball yesterday. I replaced any blown bulbs, replaced thumper bumper skirts and caps and all new rubbers.
The new parts really sped up the playing. Today I’m going to clean and polish the playfield with Wildcat.
I’ve got the random thumper bumper fire issue. The left thumper bumper which is switch number 40 is giving me problems. After about a minute of warm up the solenoid fires every three seconds and continues until I shut the game down. It’s continuous and “in time” rather than random. It is scoring 100 points every time it fired. I’ll try removing the capacitor today. Please, any advice appreciated. This is my first real pin and I would like to get it working perfectly.
I adjusted the switch gap. It doesn’t help. You can tell the previous owner was chasing this problem. The leaf switch was tweaked pretty severely when I first inspected it.

Let us know how it goes without the cap. Keep in mind, you are likely to have all bad caps under the playfield. One of the first tasks I do on a newly acquired machine is to replace all of them. Related switches in the matrix can contribute to the issue if they have bad caps.

#92 2 years ago

Change all the under playfield caps on all switches that have them. That and replacing all the coil sleeves and you won't believe how much faster the game plays.

#99 2 years ago

Inserts bowing is not necessarily from use. The sanding of the inserts when they are installed removes the top compression layer. They will certainly bow more due to heat from bulbs but they will still bow.

4 months later
#107 2 years ago
Quoted from Whirlpinned:

Looking for a little guidance on a few issues on my Eight ball.
1. After playing for a few minutes the middle chime gets stuck up, i've cleaned it and no success. As soon as one of the other chimes is activated it releases the stuck chime. I have traced the wire back to the Solenoid driver board and have found numerous repairs prior to my ownership. See photo.
2. The light for the #1 yellow ball in the rack on the middle of the playfield stopped working and so did the lights for the 1000 spinner and the break shot lane 5000 point ball save. Traced these wires back to the lamp driver board and see slight heating around Q40 but not 100% sure this is the problem.
I have swapped out transistors on boards in the past but i'm not an expert on troubleshooting. When I see the state of the Solenoid driver board it seems I should probably replace the whole thing. Costs around $150 sounds reasonable.
Love the game as it was the title that got me into pinball as a kid. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.
[quoted image][quoted image]

When your chime gets stuck, is the coil powering it still on? If so that coil will be heating up quite a bit. It should be Q5 on the solenoid board. If this is happening I would suspect the transistor is starting to short out or the pre-driver transistor which is in a DIP package. It seems more likely it is just sticking though.

The lighting board SCRs fail all the time if they are original. I keep a supply of the SCRs and swap them when needed. I find they fail when powering fresh bulbs due to the higher current draw.

3 months later
#111 2 years ago

New rules for Eight Ball

You may have heard of the new Bally/Stern Operating System created by Dick Hammel. You plug a small adapter board onto the J5 connector of the MPU card and a small Arduino board takes over and operates the pinball machine. There has been a small group of people working on several different machines. There is a ton of information here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-the-m6800-in-a-stern-mpu100-with-an-arduino

I have been working on an update to Eight Ball I have named Eight Ball Plus. I am getting close to releasing a version of the new game. The original game rules are still there but now there are 6 goals to be achieved with special game play modes after getting 3 and 5 goals.

Goals:
- Singles digit of your score shows qty of goals achieved
- Can be achieved in any order except for some that are unlocked

SuperBonus - the original Eight Ball rule set goal. Get balls 1-7 or 9-14, then 8 and lose your ball. On the next ball SuperBonus is lit.
Next Ball - Capturing sequential balls gives 5000 pts (time set in coin door)
Pop Mode - Hitting the pop bumpers more than 40 times (qty settable in coin door) scores 1000 pts per hit
Spinner Mode - Hitting the spinner more than 50 times (qty settable in coin door) scores 1500 pts per hit when lit and 2000 pts when lit if you do it again.
Spinner Combo - Complete Spinner mode twice starts a timed mode where you have to shoot the Bank Shot and then the Spinner again. You have 12 seconds (time set in coin door) to reach it for 5000 pts. If you do you get a second ball to chase for 20000 pts.
Scramble Ball - unlocked by pop bumper mode, hit the otherwise useless target to the left of lane 1-9 to randomly rotate your captured balls (have 1 and 2 currently? Now it might be 6 and 7).

After getting 3 goals, you enter Ball Chase mode. This it is a timed mode (settable), where you pursue the single blinking ball target for 5000 pts. If you get it on time you get a second chance at another one for 20000 pts

After getting 5 goals, you enter 15 ball mode. This is the wizard mode. You can now light up all 14 balls, then get the 8 ball for 100000 pts. However there is a catch. If you capture balls 1 and 9 for instance you get 5000 pts for each one. Go through the same gate again, you lose a ball and lose 10000 pts. You need to know when to quit while you are ahead.

Here is a video of the game play:

I have a few more things to clean up and some additional display features not shown in the video, then I will release it on GitHub.

#115 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

This looks awesome. I just finished my playfield swap and would love to try this.
Edit: The link does have an overwhelming amount of info. I'm certainly not that technical. Is there a way to simply buy everything ready to go and install?

You can pretty much plug and play if you want to. I think the links in the video show you to a Pinside store where you can buy the hardware. You then upload the correct game into the Arduino. I wrote a specific set of instructions for people who are new to Arduinos. It will be pretty straightforward.

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Bet it would still run on my Sunset Riders.

Is that the Eight Ball beach re-theme? If it is running the original boards it will work fine. Is it still using the chimes?

#118 2 years ago

I really wanted to make more of the chimes compared to the original games which were at the time mostly mimicking EMs. If you have headphones on when watching the video you can hear the double chimes from the spinner, pop bumpers, and the bonus in 15 ball mode. In pop mode each bumper has a different twin tone. I also use the knocker as an event indicator much more often than the original game.

#120 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Sounds good. I will find the hardware and purchase it. Thank you!

The guy selling the boards RoyGBev is who I bought my boards from. He won’t be able to load the code yet for you since it is not yet released but it is coming soon. If you wind up with a board in your hands I can just send the code to you by email, it is not a huge file.

I have to check out a few more things but all the timed modes now display a count down in the other 3 displays while the mode progresses which really helps you keep you track.

#123 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Yes it is. it's still running the chimes, but it has a car stereo mounted in the cab that runs cool 70's music as well through a usb stick when the ball is in play.
I believe it is still running the original boards, but will have a look next week when my tech mate is here looking at it.
ATM when you start a game it's firing the kickback coil instead of the trough coil for some reason.
I was thinking a transistor has failed, but i know fuck all about electronics.

What happens during the solenoid test? If only that one is wrong it is probably the transistor. If a few do, it could be a stuck address line. A stuck address line though would likely mess up the lights too.

#125 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

What is stuck address line? Google only brought up email related stuff.

On the solenoid driver board, the outhole kicker should be Q4 (the bottom row of the board start counting from the left), does it look like the others?

The address lines are in connector J4 on the solenoid board, pins 3-6. They are set in unique combinations (1 of 16). The outhole is 7 (binary 111), the kicker is 6 (110). I would really make sure that connector is well seated. The other end is connector J4 on the MPU, pins 1-4. Make sure both connectors are cleaned and seated nicely.

But before anything I would run the solenoid test from the coin door. Does the machine do all the solenoids in order:
01 Outhole
02 Knocker
03 Kicker
04-07 Chimes
08-11 Bumpers
11-12 Slings
13 Coin Door
14 Flipper Relay

#128 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

So cool. And I finally own one of the games that is being worked on. So, for instance, if I ordered this one:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1304-roygbev-pinball/05495-silverball-mania-2021-arduino-complete-and-ready-to-use
I could then use your software to overwrite the SBM 2021 software once you are done?

Yes, that one is correct. Whatever you order, make sure it is the Arduino Mega as that one is. We all started with the Arduino Nano which requires a different adapter board but we all ran out of room. The Mega is 8 times bigger.

I wrote detailed instructions for people to use when programming the Arduino aimed at people not familiar with them.

#131 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

My mate was here and spent an hour or more looking at sunset riders yesterday.
When running the solenoid test the coils do not fire inj the correct order.
One of the chimes fires twice and one not at all. one of the slings fires twice etc.
We took the latec board out and swapped in a brand new one i had spare, same thing. Swapped the chip that i think is the game chip (says vers 1.0 or something on it) for the chip with the new board etc, same thing.
Swapped the solenoid driver board for one out of spy Hunter, same thing.
My mate seems to think it's the ic for the game chip thingo that has become corrupted. Which chip is that and can i buy a new one somewhere?
I'm assuming that the sunset riders is running the same rules as Eight ball.

What is the latec board? Which board is that in the machine, top left? It sure sounds like a stuck address line. What does the lighting do, do you get the normal looking attract mode? Do the displays work?

#134 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Thank you mate, he did say that the attract mode lighting wasn't working properly. I'll text him to give me more detail, i do know the left most 9smallest) chime was sounding twice while the middle was not sounding and the right was sounding once.
I really appreciate the help.
Alteck board if i spelt it wrong.

The Alltek board is so much newer than the originals it is likely not the issue, especially if you had a second one to try. The specific solenoid order is what will help sort this out.

#135 2 years ago

I have now released the first version of Eight Ball Plus now on GitHub. https://github.com/BallySternOS/Eight-Ball-Plus

I also created a new thread specific to the the new code here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-plus-new-rules-for-bally-eight-ball#post-6841147 so if you have any specific questions about the new game post them there but I still follow this thread as well.

1 month later
#138 1 year ago

I have created an updated version of Eight Ball Plus V80. Some new rules and display functionality. I put all the info in the dedicated thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-plus-new-rules-for-bally-eight-ball#post-6906568

9 months later
#146 1 year ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

I have to refinish the apron and wood rails on my EB. I can't find any color even close to that shade of turquoise in a spray paint. What have you guys done to match that color?
Thanks,
Alan

I did a complete new playfield for my Eight Ball. I painted the side rails and the apron the same colour, you see no mismatch that way. I had the colour custom mixed and used a cheap air sprayer to apply it. One thing is when you paint the apron, any non-automotive paint will be chewed off by the ball pretty quickly. You can either coat the ball face with mylar or in my case I used spray Varathane the water based stuff. Put on thin, there is no effect on colour and the toughness is many times that of regular spray paint.

3 months later
#166 10 months ago

A few people have been asking about the defunct BSOS links for games with new rules. Good news is Eight Ball Plus is back. It is exciting in that the operating system has been updated to work on Bally/Stern, and now Williams Sys 3-11. So now the operating system is called Retro Pinball Update. There is a new repository.

I have updated my code and renamed that game to "Pinball Pool Game". Boring I know but does not conflict with any registered names. The new repository is here: https://github.com/RetroPinUpgrade/PinballPoolGame

Although it says V82, it is in fact the same V80 code I had previously released. If you have the code already running, there is nothing to do. If you are new to trying out the new rule set, this is the code you want.

I plan to make an updated version of the game but that will take a few months, but I have some minor bugs to fix as well as planning to revamp the mid-game mode after 3 goals to be much more that chasing the 2 balls we have at the moment. All to come. I will update the dedicated thread as well located here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-plus-new-rules-for-bally-eight-ball

2 months later
#175 7 months ago

There is a new version 87 of PinballPoolGame (aka Eight Ball Plus). I have done quite a few code updates, lots of cleaning up, new sounds effects, etc. The 6th goal Scramble Ball now has a sound effect so you can tell you achieved it.

The new code is found here. For the time being the previous version is still available.

https://github.com/RetroPinUpgrade/PinballPoolGameV87

The news is the middle mode Chase Ball has been replaced with Roaming mode. It is also a timed mode but much more interesting to play. Details are shown here in this preview video I made recently.

If you are new the game entirely, here is the previous video showing the whole game but with the old middle mode.

I also posted this in the dedicated thread. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-plus-new-rules-for-bally-eight-ball

4 months later
#182 75 days ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I bought the eight Ball Plus kit for RoyGBev when it first came out. I haven't installed it yet. Is there a dummy tutorial to update to this new version?

I included instructions in the repository. https://github.com/RetroPinUpgrade/PinballPoolGame

1 month later
#189 33 days ago

At long last EightBallPlus V90 is now released. https://github.com/RetroPinUpgrade/PinballPoolGameV90
This is probably the last version of the game, it is pretty complete now.
Changes for this version are a lot of code clean up, more distinct sound effects in a number of places, plus a new mini-game called Alley Mode.

The dedicated thread has more info. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-plus-new-rules-for-bally-eight-ball/page/2#post-8081204

Gameplay video.

Rules description

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 99.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kalamazoo, MI
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bjm-maxx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-1977-club-old-simple-but-wonderful?tu=bjm-maxx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.