(Topic ID: 181793)

Eight Ball (1977) Club - Old, simple... but wonderful!

By nibre

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 192 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

detail (resized).jpeg
IMG_0778 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0717 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2502 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2500 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2501 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2499 (resized).jpeg
detail (resized).jpeg
IMG_2482 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2396 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2397 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2398 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2387 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2386 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2385 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2400 (resized).jpeg
There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Are you adding something So that they don’t ghost?

Yes, I have the Ultimate Lamp/ Led board. Thank you.

#52 4 years ago

Just joined the club. I may be back asking for some tech help!!!

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from BBC:

Welcome to the club!

Quoted from chad:

Yes, I have the Ultimate Lamp/ Led board. Thank you.

Cool. Glad to hear it.

Unfortunately I can’t give you a count on the lights right now. Hopefully someone else can. My copy is currently at a friends house getting played like crazy.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from BBC:

First thing you gotta do is drop a power ball in the game.

#55 4 years ago

Best re theme EVER!

DSCN1923 (resized).jpegDSCN1923 (resized).jpegDSCN1942 (resized).jpegDSCN1942 (resized).jpeg
#56 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

First thing you gotta do is drop a power ball in the game.

I’ve seen power balls in eight balls before.....I’m curious, what is the reasoning behind this?

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

I’ve seen power balls in eight balls before.....I’m curious, what is the reasoning behind this?

1. It represents the cue ball.
2. It makes the game play fast.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

A powerball is much lighter than a normal steel pinball. So it’s simple math. When a flipper pushes less weight, it has less inertia, and so it goes faster. It’s a nice change up. I have one that I drop I to different classic games once in a while. But I always end up going back to normal.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

1. It represents the cue ball.
2. It makes the game play fast.

I get reason number 1.... but reason number two could apply to any game, right? I’ve seen 2 or 3 instances of powerballs in an Eight Ball but not in other titles (TZ excepted of course) so I was wondering if there was some explanation I was missing that pertains to eight ball’s specific design or gameplay.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

I get reason number 1.... but reason number two could apply to any game, right? I’ve seen 2 or 3 instances of powerballs in an Eight Ball but not in other titles (TZ excepted of course) so I was wondering if there was some explanation I was missing that pertains to eight ball’s specific design or gameplay.

Not at all. I actually try and put power balls in all my EM’s. They play so much better and faster. No more floaty play.

2 weeks later
#61 4 years ago

Finished up my eight ball and dropped it off at my parents house today. Calling it “fun storage”. Hope they can enjoy it and the grandkids can have a go too.

9C015D9B-336D-461E-A6E0-C07F9620FD15 (resized).jpeg9C015D9B-336D-461E-A6E0-C07F9620FD15 (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#62 4 years ago

hello all...i am a recent new owner of this great bally classic!

of all the pins I've played, this one has the best memories!

please excuse me if i ask a technical question or two while i'm here!

thanks

unnamed (2) (resized).jpgunnamed (2) (resized).jpg
2 months later
#63 3 years ago

Looks like I have a different 8 ball to most.
1. spinner on the bank shot. Works the same as the left side.
2. Arrows have a circle light not the thinner arrow lights.
3. Bank shot lane has different decal.

Has anyone else seen my edition. Came from Germany.

IMG_0648 (resized).JPEGIMG_0648 (resized).JPEGIMG_0649 (resized).JPEGIMG_0649 (resized).JPEGIMG_0650 (resized).JPEGIMG_0650 (resized).JPEGIMG_0651 (resized).JPEGIMG_0651 (resized).JPEG
#64 3 years ago

The artwork on the playfield is very different, would love to see more pics.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from tanstkd:

Looks like I have a different 8 ball to most.

Looks like you've got a Magic Eight conversion minus the backglass:

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5606

#66 3 years ago

I never knew these Magic Eight conversions existed! Thanks for sharing...

#67 3 years ago

This thread needs more activity. My first pinball was a Black Jack which has several layout similarities to Eight Ball. I got a really rough Eight Ball soon after and restored it and had them side by side for quite a while. I could roll Black Jack over from time to time. Eight Ball defied me forever, I have only done it twice now. For some reason I play Eight Ball as a 5 ball game because of how they were when I was young. Everything else I own is 3 ball.

I find Eight Ball pretty merciless and I own a Flash Gordon! One of the toughest games I own with the huge left outlane.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

The artwork on the playfield is very different, would love to see more pics.

A comparison between mine and the standard one. Serial number EEB4257

eight ball compare (resized).jpgeight ball compare (resized).jpg
#69 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Looks like you've got a Magic Eight conversion minus the backglass:
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5606

I think your right. hardware appears to be in the exact position. Only difference would be the cutout for the arrow lights as oppose to the circle ones I have.
Has anyone else seen a Magic Eight conversion. Would be interested to know if the spinner on the right was an add-on.

Do you think this one would be more valuable as there were only 150 conversions as oppose to 20,000 Eight balls.

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from tanstkd:

Would be interested to know if the spinner on the right was an add-on.

The playfield picture on IPDB shows the switch linkage hole for the right side spinner so yes it looks like that right spinner is part of this conversion.

From what I've heard most of these Geiger conversion kits for Bally games actually used Gottlieb playfield mechanisms.

#71 3 years ago

I am trying to figure out the point of a conversion that is so similar to the original. Licensing issue and/or NOS BG and PF of Eight Ball not available? Seems to me most conversions are completely different themes.

3 weeks later
#72 3 years ago

Anyone have an Eight Ball spinner they might sell or trade? Prefer original condition, even it its beat up. I have other spinners I could trade if you plan to paint and decal one.

Thanks,
RC

#73 3 years ago

Found a couple Eightball spinners, but they seem to only have the arrow on one side and they are blank on the reverse. Is this correct? I only ask because I see decals for sale and you get one for each side.

Thanks,
RC

1 month later
#74 3 years ago

Anybody know where to find some decals for the Eight Ball's apron? I having a horrible time trying to source apron decals or a NOS eight ball apron.

1 week later
#75 3 years ago

Just joined the club earlier this week with a nice players machine! Back glass only has a couple minor scratches and playfield has some typical wear. What a great game!

20200910_201930 (resized).jpg20200910_201930 (resized).jpg20200910_202414 (resized).jpg20200910_202414 (resized).jpg

2 months later
#76 3 years ago

Would really like to have an Eight Ball in the lineup. Put many a quarter into one of these at my local Aladdin's Castle in the late 70s. I rarely see one pop up in my neck of the woods. Some day...

5 months later
#77 3 years ago

Just became a member and thought I'd drop a post in this forum. Was never a pinball person while growing up, but just added this one to my garage set up. I thought it would be fun....but didn't realize how much fun. We have a group of neighbors and all of us can't get enough of playing it. Now, our garage is filled with our friends playing Eight Ball for hours! I can't tell you how many times we have said "ok, just one more game" to then end up playing for 2 more hours! Anyway, just thought I'd drop a line to the fellow Eight Ball folks out there! Cheers!!

Game Room (resized).jpgGame Room (resized).jpg
#78 3 years ago

The title of this thread says it all, simple but wonderful.

#79 3 years ago

Eight Ball is on my list. Played the heck out of it in an Aladdin's Castle back in the late 70s. I'm always too late when one comes up for sale in my area. Some day....

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from JTB2r2t:

.but didn't realize how much fun. We have a group of neighbors and all of us can't get enough of playing it.

Eight Ball has always had that "just one more game" feeling. It is a simple concept anyone that has spent time in a bar can understand, solids and stripes. Always fun - welcome to the Club!

2 months later
#81 2 years ago

I just purchased my first pin! Eight Ball!

My wife and I fell in love with Pinball after I built a Vpin. Headed on a four hour drive last week to buy Lethal Weapon 3. It was in a barn and power board was inop. I got the seller down $400 and he threw in Eight Ball and Fan-Tas-Tic.

Eight Ball looks good and plays. I just ordered flipper rebuild kits and new rubbers kit. Can’t wait to tune it up and play.

I’ll post pics when I get home.

#82 2 years ago

I have been looking for an Eight Ball for a long time. I can never seem to find one in my area. Ugh!

#83 2 years ago

Where do you live?

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

Where do you live?

South Georgia for me. Not sure about the guy wanting one.

#85 2 years ago

pudealee
Your location is hidden. It would help if people at least new what area your from. Thx

#86 2 years ago

Your location is hidden. It would help if people at least knew what area you are from

I'm in Alabama For a really nice machine, I would be willing to travel to any contiguous state and even up into Kentucky (family there) and southern IN & IL. I spent many a quarter at my local Aladdin's Castle in Kentucky playing an Eight Ball when it first came out.

I didn't know my location was hidden. I can see it on my posts - but maybe it's just not public. I'll change that.

#87 2 years ago

PuDealee - Now we can see your location. I go through there several times a year, although I doubt wifey would let me stop to play pinball.

#88 2 years ago

I finally had the time to work on my new eight ball yesterday. I replaced any blown bulbs, replaced thumper bumper skirts and caps and all new rubbers.

The new parts really sped up the playing. Today I’m going to clean and polish the playfield with Wildcat.

I’ve got the random thumper bumper fire issue. The left thumper bumper which is switch number 40 is giving me problems. After about a minute of warm up the solenoid fires every three seconds and continues until I shut the game down. It’s continuous and “in time” rather than random. It is scoring 100 points every time it fired. I’ll try removing the capacitor today. Please, any advice appreciated. This is my first real pin and I would like to get it working perfectly.

I adjusted the switch gap. It doesn’t help. You can tell the previous owner was chasing this problem. The leaf switch was tweaked pretty severely when I first inspected it.

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from bushav:

I’ll try removing the capacitor today.

Yes. Very good idea. Sounds very much like bad capacitor. Hat that issue a dozen times till now.

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from bushav:

I finally had the time to work on my new eight ball yesterday. I replaced any blown bulbs, replaced thumper bumper skirts and caps and all new rubbers.
The new parts really sped up the playing. Today I’m going to clean and polish the playfield with Wildcat.
I’ve got the random thumper bumper fire issue. The left thumper bumper which is switch number 40 is giving me problems. After about a minute of warm up the solenoid fires every three seconds and continues until I shut the game down. It’s continuous and “in time” rather than random. It is scoring 100 points every time it fired. I’ll try removing the capacitor today. Please, any advice appreciated. This is my first real pin and I would like to get it working perfectly.
I adjusted the switch gap. It doesn’t help. You can tell the previous owner was chasing this problem. The leaf switch was tweaked pretty severely when I first inspected it.

Let us know how it goes without the cap. Keep in mind, you are likely to have all bad caps under the playfield. One of the first tasks I do on a newly acquired machine is to replace all of them. Related switches in the matrix can contribute to the issue if they have bad caps.

#91 2 years ago

I disconnected one leg of the capacitor on the left thumper bumper. My issue with misfiring went away. I’ll install a new capacitor and see if it remains fixed. I played probably twenty games today with no issues. Very fun.

#92 2 years ago

Change all the under playfield caps on all switches that have them. That and replacing all the coil sleeves and you won't believe how much faster the game plays.

#93 2 years ago

I’ve got a friend selling his NOS Bally Eight ball populated playfield. All plastics are there, and what I can see, all mechanisms minus one coil. Inserts are barely sunken so maybe a clear coat or protector to keep it perfect. It’s listed as going to Atown show for free delivery. More detailed pics are available if interested. He’s asking $1000 OBO. Thanks
9F35B134-2EFE-4D55-B9C1-AE1A7AEAD701 (resized).jpeg9F35B134-2EFE-4D55-B9C1-AE1A7AEAD701 (resized).jpegE3F80C8B-888D-4DC6-AF73-77217C90CE20 (resized).jpegE3F80C8B-888D-4DC6-AF73-77217C90CE20 (resized).jpeg936E970F-9F74-43C3-A8E5-302EB512C318 (resized).jpeg936E970F-9F74-43C3-A8E5-302EB512C318 (resized).jpegA18A7023-DA6F-456A-8A11-2865B2B802E8 (resized).jpegA18A7023-DA6F-456A-8A11-2865B2B802E8 (resized).jpeg

#94 2 years ago

I’ve got a friend selling his NOS Bally Eight ball populated playfield.

NOS? As in "NEW Old Stock"? That doesn't look NOS to me. Inserts sink from the heat from the bulbs under them. Ball guides don't come from the factory with ball trails in them. I'm absolutely NOT insulting the shape of that playfield, just questioning if it is actually NOS (NOS means it was never installed in a running game).

#95 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

NOS? As in "NEW Old Stock"? That doesn't look NOS to me. Inserts sink from the heat from the bulbs under them. Ball guides don't come from the factory with ball trails in them. I'm absolutely NOT insulting the shape of that playfield, just questioning if it is actually NOS (NOS means it was never installed in a running game).

I have a playfield in my Paragon that was NOS. It has both sunken and cupped inserts.

#96 2 years ago

Rumour is Haggis Pinball “ could ?” Be remastering this beast of a game in their Bally Classic Series. I have only played a re-themed game called Sunset Riders and loved it

#97 2 years ago

I don’t think this playfield was ever in a running game. I’m guessing this is NOS, that was populated by a previous owner and never put into a game. Here is some better pics. There is also not any residual dirt or grime on the back from mechanisms.59ECD7A8-25A7-4923-B7E0-BD1AAE57ED4D (resized).jpeg59ECD7A8-25A7-4923-B7E0-BD1AAE57ED4D (resized).jpegE6B11475-59C3-4B49-B7E6-505FB1A87809 (resized).jpegE6B11475-59C3-4B49-B7E6-505FB1A87809 (resized).jpegF3D950D7-B383-423A-A91F-6006814C7F89 (resized).jpegF3D950D7-B383-423A-A91F-6006814C7F89 (resized).jpegF620F89E-CE51-4898-929F-0F690BCCC623 (resized).jpegF620F89E-CE51-4898-929F-0F690BCCC623 (resized).jpeg

#98 2 years ago

I don’t think this playfield was ever in a running game. I’m guessing this is NOS, that was populated by a previous owner and never put into a game. Here is some better pics. There is also not any residual dirt or grime on the back from mechanisms.

It looks to me like this playfield was played often and then repainted.

#99 2 years ago

Inserts bowing is not necessarily from use. The sanding of the inserts when they are installed removes the top compression layer. They will certainly bow more due to heat from bulbs but they will still bow.

#100 2 years ago

I know you can buy the whole overlay, but does anyone sell just triangle rack in the middle?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 99.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-1977-club-old-simple-but-wonderful/page/2?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.