Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Rat_Tomago
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

EGGHEAD 8.jpeg
EGGHEAD 7.jpeg
EGGHEAD 6.jpeg
EGGHEAD 5.jpeg
EGGHEAD 4.jpeg
EGGHEAD 3.jpeg
EGGHEAD 2.jpeg
EGGHEAD 1.jpeg
egghead 4.jpg
DSC09959.jpg
egghead 3.jpg
egghead 5.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hey Folks,
Discovered a rare bird this past weekend: 1961 Gottlieb Egghead. This one was beautifully restored about 12 years ago….it needs very little to make it better besides new balls, rubbers, and brighter bulbs. The backglass, playfield, etc. are eggcellent, the cabinet paint looks great, the chrome door and coin return are mirror like, and because all the pops and bumpers work great, the game is an eggcellent player!

Have to admit that I hadn’t heard much about this game, nor played one before.….it’s not a common title on people’s grail lists, and I haven't seen much about this on the forums or ipdb. But I must say, after spending some time on it, that this must be the sleeper of sleepers and something that I wanted to get. The backglass is lovely and quite amusing and I really like the comical writings, such as "new trons" and "old trons" on the scientist's computer. The game is very difficult, but achievable, and a lot of fun! (Which assumes that, a "fun game" is trying to master a drain monster with timed skill shots using 2" flippers).

One thing about this game that had me coming back and back is the common 60's apron design that allows you to save a quickly moving ball that exits the playfield through the left outlane. It’s a hoot that a little nudge after the ball hits the apron, brings the ball back to the flippers for another breath. Don't dare give up on a ball even after it seems lost.

I’m eggcited to have this one delivered next week.

Any others with this title? Tips/tricks?

egghead 5.jpg DSC09959.jpg egghead 3.jpg egghead 4.jpg
#2 5 years ago

baby looks clean! great em egg head!! neat

#3 5 years ago

Wow! That is nice.

#4 5 years ago

Nice coin door

#5 5 years ago

Game looks great!

Got a close up pic of your Playfield? Would like to see how nice that is as well.

Congrats on your purchase!

Ken

#6 5 years ago

That looks like it's sitting at Borden's. Is that where you are getting it from?

#7 5 years ago

Holy crap that is pretty! That game looks like a lot of fun....kind of like Slick Chick with all of the pops. There was one for sale up in KC last year, but they wanted about a grand for it so I passed. If I knew it could look that good restored I might have given it a second thought.

#8 5 years ago

beautiful.

#9 5 years ago

Nice

#10 5 years ago

Very nice. Wonder how they got the front door that shiny.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from heatwave:

Very nice. Wonder how they got the front door that shiny.

It's been replated.

#12 5 years ago

I have this on my down low want list. it seems like once i want a pin there is a mad rush for everyone else to get it.
so i have a want list and then i have a want list that i don't broadcast
I must say you are local to me and i did not pick that up on my radar. very nice snag! someone spent a big money to triple chrome the front end.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I have this on my down low want list. it seems like once i want a pin there is a mad rush for everyone else to get it.
I must say you are local to me and i did not pick that up on my radar. very nice snag! someone spent a big money to triple chrome the front end.

Agree. My super douper really really want list is on a need to know basis

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I have this on my down low want list. it seems like once i want a pin there is a mad rush for everyone else to get it.so i have a want list and then i have a want list that i don't broadcastI must say you are local to me and i did not pick that up on my radar. very nice snag! someone spent a big money to triple chrome the front end.

Based on what I've spent on plating game parts, that door alone is going to be probably over 100 bills. When you add it all up, I'm guessing he spent at least 200 bucks on that alone, probably more.

#15 5 years ago

Cool classic antique pin,

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Game looks great!
Got a close up pic of your Playfield? Would like to see how nice that is as well.
Ken

Only took a few macro shots. Will take some close ups of the playfield and more once it gets delivered.
Thanks

Quoted from MikeO:

That looks like it's sitting at Borden's. Is that where you are getting it from?

Wow, I haven't been to Borden's in 20 years.... I don't think they are around anymore. I did buy a game from Bob at one time. He did nice restorations.
The game is currently sitting at PinRescue where it was just traded in. I live very close to them and have become personal and business friends with the owners, so it is common for me to visit and see what's coming in and out of the shop. You may notice a piece of a World Fair in the last picture that is gorgeous, but it's sold and ready to be shipped out.

Quoted from boilerman:

Cochranville is about 1.5 hours west of me. Technically, I'm not in Philadelphia, I live Northeast of the city in a small town (Holland) which is not as recognizable as Philadelphia. My bad, I'll change my avatar. I am pleased to know that this game was held in high enough regard to justify a high end restoration. Also nice to hear that others have heard of this game and it is on a want list....

Appreciate the nice responses. Thanks

#17 5 years ago

That is one nice looking game.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

I live Northeast of the city in a small town (Holland) which is not as recognizable as Philadelphia.

I used to work with a guy who lived in Holland, PA. He was a nice guy. Maybe you know him?

#19 5 years ago

Wow, great score on that one oldcarz. That coin door looks fantastic. 61 was a great year too.

#20 5 years ago

I looked at a nice egg the other day - just couldn't put it in the same collection with slick chick. I do like it though, and may buy it if/when I sell slick.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I used to work with a guy who lived in Holland, PA. He was a nice guy. Maybe you know him?

Hmmm....I know some nice guys. Give me a hint who it may be... or PM me....

#22 5 years ago

Hey btw, do you know a pinball enthusiast called Chris R in Round Rock? Apparently he has a machine or 2 at his home. I have no idea if he's a Pinsider or not, but I'd like to meet up with him one day.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Hmmm....I know some nice guys. Give me a hint who it may be... or PM me....

PM sent.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Hyperball91:

Hey btw, do you know a pinball enthusiast called Chris R in Round Rock? Apparently he has a machine or 2 at his home. I have no idea if he's a Pinsider or not, but I'd like to meet up with him one day.

No (not yet!).

#25 5 years ago

Hmm, okay. He must be keeping his pin hobby on the quiet then

#26 5 years ago

beautiful! i have an egg head that i have bought the following for and have lost interest in the project..after seeing this it has inspired me to finish..have dropped the nos playfield in but only half way through..has sat like for 2 years

NOS playfield
Shay Arcade reproduction backglass
NOS Intruction card
Chrome leg bolts
Reproduction side rails
Paint for all of cab
5 Daisy domed pop bumper 10 points
4 Deco cap dome 10 points when lit
Reproduction lockdown bar
Pinball Rescue decal for score card tray
1x Lock 7/8”
4x Legs Tee - LEG-TEE
1x GTB Arch stick protector (manual ball lift)
1x GTB Arch ball deflector
1x Red metal door push button
1x Front door hole plug
1x Coin reject rod
1x Rubber set
2x 1” white rubber ring
1x Rubber lamp sleeve blue
1x Rubber lamp sleeve red
2x Leg levellers 2” stem
2x Leg levellers 3” stem
2x Hard plastic light sleeve red
2x Hard plastic light sleeve blue
1x Small chrome metal coin door shell single chute
1x Trapezoidal coin entrance plate 5 cents
1x Trapezoidal coin entrance plate blank
1x Gottlieb ball shooter rod
1x Beehouse plunger housing – red
2x Flipper retaining Clip
1x Old style rollover button red
1x Old style rollover button white
1x Trim ring for small coin door single chute
20 x 1” carriage bolt, washer and nut
9x Bayonet light sockets
20x Siderail nails
5x M/S pop bumper body
4x Advance bumper body
1x Gottlieb flipper rebuild kit
2x Flipper bushings
2x Rubber lamp sleeve blue
2x Rubber lamp sleeve red
1x Shooter spring inside
1x Shooter spring outside
2x Metal flipper buttons red
1 Pair 2” round top white flipper plastic
2x 1” white rubber rings
2x Holding screws
2 boxes of #455 blinking lamps
5 boxes of 47 lamps
4x 31" reproduction legs

#27 5 years ago

That's on hell of a PBR order to not go through with finishing this project.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

That's on hell of a PBR order to not go through with finishing this project.

yes..and have had it all shipped to australia..including the playfield and the backglass has cost a small fortune..

going to dig it out today and get started again!

#29 5 years ago

onya Illawarra! Don't be slack, get stuck into it and get it finished. It'll look great when it's done. Make sure to show us all photos of it

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

yes..and have had it all shipped to australia..including the playfield and the backglass has cost a small fortune..
going to dig it out today and get started again!

I gotta ask. Where in the hell did you find a NOS Egg Head playfield?

#31 5 years ago

I was thinking the same thing, considering it was made 53 years ago!

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I gotta ask. Where in the hell did you find a NOS Egg Head playfield?

it was on ebay about 3 years ago..cost me about us$500 landed

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

it was on ebay about 3 years ago..cost me about us$500 landed

lucky!

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Game looks great!
Ken

Thanks for the kind replies. She was recently delivered and setup. Enclosing some closeups, as requested.

Really pleased with this one. I do have the original pop covers, but they show their age...the repros don't look too bad, so I'm trying it out with them on for now.

Game is very challenging and posting a pic that proves that the 1,000 point bulb works. I think it's an original 50 year old bulb that hasn't burned out because it rarely lights.

EGGHEAD 1.jpeg EGGHEAD 2.jpeg EGGHEAD 3.jpeg EGGHEAD 4.jpeg EGGHEAD 5.jpeg EGGHEAD 6.jpeg EGGHEAD 7.jpeg EGGHEAD 8.jpeg
#35 5 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

I do have the original pop covers, but they show their age...the repros don't look too bad, so I'm trying it out with them on for now.

Thanks for the additional pictures! Super Nice Playfield!

The repro pop bumper caps look great!

Ken

#36 5 years ago

Nice machine enjoy !

#37 5 years ago

Very nice machine! Keep the repros on. Store the old ones in case you ever sell. Thanks for the pics.

-Dan

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 245.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
$ 235.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 5,899.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 334.95
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 23.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 289.00
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 12.50

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside