(Topic ID: 254471)

Effective ways to remove cigarette smoke odor from a game?

By FatPanda

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by manadams
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I brought home a game that lived in a smoker's house for a few years. I haven't gone through to fully clean/shop the game, but will do that once I get new parts. In the mean time, I've been working on tweaking a few things in the game, but every time I open the coin door, I get a huge whiff of cigarette smoke. Putting my head over the exposed playfield is killer. Gross.

What are some ACTUAL effective ways to remove the cigarette odor from the game. I've read that activated charcoal, baking soda, sliced apples, bowls of vinegar, or used coffee grounds "can" absorb the smell of smoke, but I'm really skeptical that any of them would work. I would buy an Ozone generator, since there's actual science behind that but wanted to see if anyone has some true before/after evidence that one of the other methods work.

#2 4 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smoke-smell-inon-machine-help-getting-rid-of

There are some fancy tips in that thread. I have used a twist air freshener, and once the air freshener became old and hard, I cut the hard part in to little pieces, which then gave off a strong perfume scent.

Fabreeze typically works well on all odors. I see they are advertising a new unscented spray.

#3 4 years ago

hanging a couple fabric softener sheets inside does the trick.

I don't smoke, but I enjoy the distinct smell of an obviously back-in-the-day routed, incandescent lit pin warming up

#5 4 years ago

I bought a capt fantastic from an old hippie, the pot smell was horrible!! I put some twist open air fresheners under cabinet, helped alot, but I sold after a few months, ssd's o dont know long term

#6 4 years ago

baking soda or coffee grounds

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Baking soda.

+1 ON THE BAKING SODA

#8 4 years ago

Baking soda is cheap, so I'll try that first. On the other hand, I have used coffee ground every day so might give that a go also.

#9 4 years ago

Bag of charcoal

#10 4 years ago

Start Smoking.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Start Smoking

Damn, beat me. I was going to add cigars to it though!

#12 4 years ago

Put a bowl of white vinegar inside game in cashbox area let it sit 2-3 days with game closed it will draw the odor out into the vinegar

#13 4 years ago

Ozone generator off amazon.
    Put it inside machine with machine in garage.

That's how they get smoke smell out of used cars.

#15 4 years ago

All of the above.....Start simple, then Charcoal bags off of Ebay work great, last is ozone generator....

#16 4 years ago

Ozone generator. I use it for everything. Avoid vinegar, its acetic acid. Dont introduce acid into any electronic device. Yeah i know its a weak acid, but still why do it. There are better options. Incidently, what does a strong acid and a good woman have in common? -Any old chemists out there. U probably cant tell that joke anymore.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

yes, Ozone machine will take the smell out of almost anything.

#19 4 years ago

honestly activated charcoal is awesome. works for smoke smells musty orders and stinky teenagers lol

#20 4 years ago

Pressure wash it.

#21 4 years ago

I've got a shallow dish with baking soda in the cabinet right now. I'll let it sit in there for several days to see if it makes a difference, then I may try the activated charcoal next. I've read mostly positive reviews, but then there are always a few that say it doesnt do anything. Hoping the baking soda will do it!

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

If you do ozone, remove any rubbers / plastics you can first and do a little at a time. Ozone will probably work well, but it can oxidize many types of rubber and other plastics quickly.

Preferably get some tips from someone who has used an ozone machine for restoration before going too far. Different machines have different output levels, so you want to know how much could cause issues before you start.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cracking-rubber-and-ozone-generators

#23 4 years ago

I left two of the 3" twist-open air freshener disks in my closed-up smoke machine for two weeks. Smell all gone.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I've got a shallow dish with baking soda in the cabinet right now. I'll let it sit in there for several days to see if it makes a difference, then I may try the activated charcoal next. I've read mostly positive reviews, but then there are always a few that say it doesnt do anything. Hoping the baking soda will do it!

It takes more than a few days. What I’d do is get two boxes, open them up and put them in the cabinet. Come back in a month.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

It takes more than a few days. What I’d do is get two boxes, open them up and put them in the cabinet. Come back in a month.

I have a second box. I'll put a second dish in there.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

I left two of the 3" twist-open air freshener disks in my closed-up smoke machine for two weeks. Smell all gone.

Did it just cover up the smell or eliminate it? I don't particularly care for the scented air fresheners either. they give me headaches. The plug-ins, aerosols etc. I can do essential oils in diffusers, which is what I do currently when the game is open, but it just covers up the smell with something more pleasant as opposed to eliminating it.

#27 4 years ago

In my early days of collecting (late 90s), a lot of machines I bought were from bars. My wife and I are super sensitive/allergic to smoke. These are the bees knees- https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Air-Sponge-Absorbing-Neutralant/dp/B001SBMLAM

I have done charcoal, coffee, baking soda, etc..... I now only use the Bad Air Sponge.

I buy and sell a lot of cars for fun, and my daily driver now was owned by a smoker, only I didn't know it because when I bought it, I had a severe cold. I parked it in the garage and my wife asked me why I bought a smoker's car.... Because of all the fabric and air vents, it took me two bad air sponges (about 3 months of treatment) to get rid of the smoke completely, but now it is completely gone.

YMMV.... Good luck!

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Because of all the fabric and air vents, it took me two bad air sponges (about 3 months of treatment) to get rid of the smoke completely, but now it is completely gone.
    YMMV.... Good luck!

the smell would have naturally aired out in three months any way no?

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Nope... I have bought a few vehicles that still smelled like smoke even after sitting for a few years...

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from DanDanDAN:

cigarette smoke sucks donkey balls. So destructive to everything. Even if you get rid of the smell, you still have the brown tar like shit to deal with thats caked on everything.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

cigarette smoke sucks donkey balls. So destructive to everything. Even if you get rid of the smell, you still have the brown tar like shit to deal with thats caked on everything.

You aren't lying.... I have a friend that is a car detailer and he has a really kick-ass steamer he uses for the vents to remove a lot of that shit. It is some nasty stuff.

I rarely use gloves for anything, but when I was cleaning pins, I would use them on the smoked up machines because the grime would make my skin itch like crazy.

#32 4 years ago

yup, spraying mean green on a cabinet, you just see the brown sludge ooze down the side of the cab. It amazing people don't die just from clogged lungs from that shit.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Ozone machines will do it. They also suck oxygen out of the room so be careful when using.

Crime scene cleanup companies use it to remove the smell from dead bodies that absorb into walls. I can verify it works.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yes, Ozone machine .

Quoted from SpookyKT:

honestly activated charcoal is awesome.

both of these and clean all the surfaces really well. I pull some machines and they usually have that smell for like 4-6 months if I don't do anything. its.... mostly unnoticeble after a couple weeks unless you go into the cabinet.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

In my early days of collecting (late 90s), a lot of machines I bought were from bars. My wife and I are super sensitive/allergic to smoke. These are the bees knees- amazon.com link »
    I have done charcoal, coffee, baking soda, etc..... I now only use the Bad Air Sponge.
    I buy and sell a lot of cars for fun, and my daily driver now was owned by a smoker, only I didn't know it because when I bought it, I had a severe cold. I parked it in the garage and my wife asked me why I bought a smoker's car.... Because of all the fabric and air vents, it took me two bad air sponges (about 3 months of treatment) to get rid of the smoke completely, but now it is completely gone.
    YMMV.... Good luck!

I'll try this next if the baking soda doesn't work after a couple months.

I noticed in the description that it works on "human decay" lol

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I'll try this next if the baking soda doesn't work after a couple months.
    I noticed in the description that it works on "human decay" lol

I have been to several Pinball shows where “Human decay” seemed present in the air....

#37 4 years ago

Anyone ever use Ozium? Sounds like a good aerosol spray.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Ozium-Air-Sanitizer-Oz-Spray/dp/B07B66KHXM/ref=sr_1_4

Also comes in vanilla or citrus scents. It claims to neutralize odors, not just cover them up temporarily.

Having the game open is helping to air it out, but the basement has this lingering odor to it too. I'm thinking this might work to clear the basement air. My dogs also stay in the basement during the day when I'm gone, so it would serve double duty.

#38 4 years ago

Simple Green the outsides and vacuum the inside is a great start.

#39 4 years ago

Ozone machine and wiping down all surfaces.

#40 4 years ago

Any recommendations for ozone machine large enough to do a room?

#42 4 years ago

Those of you who have ozone generator machines. How do you use them.

Use as needed?
    Runs periodically?
    How long is there life?

Seems like many many different options out there.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Madmax541:

Those of you who have ozone generator machines. How do you use them.
    Use as needed?
    Runs periodically?
    How long is there life?
    Seems like many many different options out there.

You should Google up info on ozone generators before using them. They can potentially be VERY harmful (deadly) if you don't follow procedures correctly.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

You should Google up info on ozone generators before using them. They can potentially be VERY harmful (deadly) if you don't follow procedures correctly.

Yes, please follow this.True Ozone generators can be deadly.....

1 week later
    #45 4 years ago

I put the machine in my garage to use ozone.
    Never in the house.
    Couple hours inside the cab with the head on.

Then open garage to air out once machine is off.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

This is the most effective way, but coffee grounds and febreze may be cheaper!

2 years later
    #47 2 years ago

Did the baking soda work?

#48 2 years ago

If you try the ozone/ionizer method get ready to re rubber your game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/effective-ways-to-remove-cigarette-smoke-odor-from-a-game?hl=grandnational007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.