8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Shaker
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I was wondering if anyone knew which eeproms I should have some back ups of for updating game code.

I would be updating your standard bally Williams games possibly a stern here or there. Is it okay to just get one that is larger than needed? An example is that TOTAN needs a larger rom than say TAF. Would the larger one work on a TAF?

Thanks for any guidance.

The GQ-4x is a great little tool at a low cost to be able to update games on the fly. I totally recommend one if anyone that is interested.

#2 8 years ago

I wouldn't be using EEPROMS. I would be using EPROMS. There IS a difference in the method of erasure and programming.

I keep everything from 2716's to 27C040's and everything in between for my machines on-hand.

You could run into problems programming larger than needed EPROMs due to utilizing the wrong address space (just one potential hurdle to overcome).

Greg

#3 8 years ago

Depends on the board. There was a wide range used.

2716, 2532 and 2732 (use 2732 whenever it is easy to do so) for early SS
    2764,27128,27256 for later SS games
    1-8Mbit or more for DMD era. 27c040, 4Mbit feels most common in WPC games.

Good reference here. Use the file size of the computer image file to determine what size EPROM to use.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPROM#EPROM_sizes_and_types

#4 8 years ago

I didn't realize there was a difference between eprom and eeprom. I thought they were the same, good to know. So if the earliest game I plan on updating is a wpc 89, would I be able to get away with all 27c040?

Thanks for the help so far

#5 8 years ago

EPROM = Electronically Programmable ROM

EEPROM = Electronically Erasable Programmable ROM

Main difference is EPROM uses UV light to erase while EEPROM uses you write to them to erase. Other than that once erased I'm fairly certain they are compatible. But yeah, you want EPROM.

#6 8 years ago

You will also find one time programmables, aka OTP in WPC ROM sizes. You can only burn these one time. EPROM have a window on the chip. When you expose this window to a special light spectrum, it erases the IC. EEPROM, the burner will erase for you (if supported, i havent messed with these but a few times).

ebay is a pretty fairly safe source to buy EPROMs cheaply.

27c040 will probably be the most used size in WPC from my XP, but i think some games might use smaller and i know whitewater uses a larger 8Mbit eprom for the home rom. IF you want to check this, download ROMs from IPDB or wherever and see what file sizes are used for each game. Then you can decide what you need.

#7 8 years ago

For WPCs and later

27c010/27c1001
    27c020/27c2001
    27c040/27c4001
    27c080/27c801

If you plan on doing Data East / Sega / Stern, get 27128, 27256, 27512 - or 27c128, 27c256, 27c512

6 years later
    #8 1 year ago

Raise The Dead!... Thread!

Appropriate because I'm working on an Addams Family...

I wanted to use the anti-ghosting ROM patcher for WPC games on my Addams Family.

I already screwed-up once: I didn't want to peel the sticker on the current PROM, so I believed a post that said to use a M27C2001. Well that didn't work so good. Turns out I need a 27C4001.

My question is: Does the EPROM's speed matter?
    The current PROM has a 10 in the full model number, so I assume it's 10ns. The EPROMs on E-Bay range from 10ns to 150ns.

What speeds work with WPC and WPC-95 games?

Thanks!

- Mark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eeproms-which-ones-are-good-to-have-on-hand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.