(Topic ID: 154865)

EEPROM programmer MiniPro - Issue

By Theonlylilo

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9543_(resized).JPG
    Minipro_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160315_005147_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Hi everybody!
    During a mpu sys6 testing, my last test eeprom has been erased so, before buying a new one, I decided to try an eeprom burner/programmer.
    Few days ago I found on eBay a functioning MiniPro TL866CS at a decent price... so, I started to burn my eeprom. In every case, everytime I encountered the same advise (attached photo). Anyone has suggestion to solve my problem?
    After a complete erasure, the eeprom is blank but the programming is immediately interrupted.
    Is not a problem to buy new test eeproms at PinballPlace... I only want reduce the time (shipment takes at least 3-4 weeks)!
    Thanks a lot!
    Ciao
    Loris

IMG_20160315_005147_(resized).jpgIMG_20160315_005147_(resized).jpg

Minipro_(resized).jpgMinipro_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

Try burning at 25v?

I can't read the imprint on the chip but typically....

2716 = 25v
    2716A = 21v
    2716B = 12.5v

#3 8 years ago

Hi Andrew! Thanks for your reply!
    Is not possible to use a power supply of 25V... the max output is 21V!
    But in the supported IC list, the 2716 is included so I think it's could be done without problems...
    On Youtube there is a video review of the Minipro and the guy (EEVblog) burn easily at 21V a NMC27c16Q
    I've also tried different eeproms: different 2716 and also 2732, but always the same error that stops the programming

#4 8 years ago

The majority of 2716 i come across burn at 25v, not 21v.

Look for people selling 2716B but be careful... the remarkers from China often screw up the suffix on EPROMs that indicate programming voltage.

#5 8 years ago

Nobody close by in Europe is selling these old ROMs?

I have one of these programmers and it's a shame they didn't build in 25V support.
    2 or so years ago with my TL866 I programmed an original 2716 (don't remember brand or if it was an A version) but it was marked as 21V. The TL866 programmed and verified ok (even reading it back, the data read ok), but the ROM would fail checksum tests in my Pinball. After reading 2716 in an older programmer the data read back was wrong. It's unusual that the TL866 continually read/verified it OK - maybe it was a +5V supply voltage variation. I reprogrammed the chip in my old programmer at 25V and it worked fine.
    Anyhow just be careful of this scenario.

These days I'm using this TL866 programmer to program some used ST M2732AFI 21V FAST chips I got from China and they work just fine.

#6 8 years ago

I've just purchased from China some new (are they really new? ) 2716 from ST, where the Vpp is clearly written on it: 21V.
    Finger crossed...
    Otherwise, the problem could be "solved" changing the programmer...

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Nobody close by in Europe is selling these old ROMs?

Yes but a not reasonable prices. You know... from China, for 10€ I'll got 10 pieces, free shipping! Here 7-8€ + shipping costs at single eeprom!

Quoted from Quench:

I have one of these programmers and it's a shame they didn't build in 25V support.

I think the same...

Quoted from Quench:

2 or so years ago with my TL866 I programmed an original 2716 (don't remember brand or if it was an A version) but it was marked as 21V. The TL866 programmed and verified ok (even reading it back, the data read ok), but the ROM would fail checksum tests in my Pinball. After reading 2716 in an older programmer the data read back was wrong. It's unusual that the TL866 continually read/verified it OK - maybe it was a +5V supply voltage variation. I reprogrammed the chip in my old programmer at 25V and it worked fine.
    Anyhow just be careful of this scenario.
    These days I'm using this TL866 programmer to program some used ST M2732AFI 21V FAST chips I got from China and they work just fine.

I'll try these new eeproms once arrived, then I'll let you know!
    Thanks

#8 8 years ago

Hmm, as barakandl mentioned some of these chips from China are incorrectly marked (rebadged). If you look at the 2716 EPROM datasheet from ST, the programming voltage is 25V, not 21V.

It may be worth getting some 2732A chips as well, they are also cheap. ST made these to program at 21V. You can always double the data to make sure they work in place of a 2716.

Best of luck with it and let us know if the ST 2716 program ok at 21V when they arrive.

#9 8 years ago

subscribed - I'm curious how this programmer works. I wouldn't mind having a backup.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Hmm, as barakandl mentioned some of these chips from China are incorrectly marked (rebadged). If you look at the 2716 EPROM datasheet from ST, the programming voltage is 25V, not 21V.
    It may be worth getting some 2732A chips as well, they are also cheap. ST made these to program at 21V. You can always double the data to make sure they work in place of a 2716.
    Best of luck with it and let us know if the ST 2716 program ok at 21V when they arrive.

OK! Thanks! I'll keep you informed...
    Just one thing: How I can double the image? sorry but I'm a newbie

#11 8 years ago

You mention it was erased. How was it erased? Under UV light?

If you insert an EPROM backwards in a game, almost always it's ruined. It will erase, but it will never program again.

Also, if it's an 'A' suffix part, like 2732A, it programs at a lower voltage, and I've gotten lots of these in the past where I postulate someone programmed it as a regular 2732, which succeeded, and then it never programs again.

#12 8 years ago

I don't know what is happened. It was in IC17 socket under test (leds not blinking). My first thought was a locked board, but then I placed the rom in a functioning mpu and I understood that the eeprom was faulty. I checked it in my eeprom burner and I had all "FF"...

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

subscribed - I'm curious how this programmer works. I wouldn't mind having a backup.

It's a handy programmer; I have the TL866A which has the extra feature of In Circuit Serial Programming for Microcontrollers and SPI EEPROMS over the cheaper TL866CS but I haven't used the feature yet.
    But as mentioned above the lack of 25V programming support is an issue in this arena unless you're stocked up on 21V or lower parts.
    There is plenty of discussion on this programmer here if you're interested:
    www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-411-minipro-tl866-universal-programmer-review/

Quoted from Theonlylilo:

Just one thing: How I can double the image?

Umm, this is probably the hard way but if you're using a Windows PC, you can do it in a Command Prompt (assuming you're familiar with it). The command is something along the lines of:

copy 2716file.rom /b + 2716file.rom /b 2732file.rom

Replace "2716file.rom" with the name of the 2716 file you need to double.
    "2732file.rom" will become your new 2732 rom file.

Actually, you can also do it in the MiniPro programming software. Select a 2732 device. Load your 2716 file with the "From file start address" set to 00000 and the "To buffer start address" set to 00000 and click OK. When it's done, open the file again but this time change the "To Buffer start address" to 00800 and click OK. Then program your 2732 and/or save the file as a new 2732 version.

Hope this helps.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Theonlylilo:

I checked it in my eeprom burner and I had all "FF".

If it was reading all "FF" before you tried erasing it, then it sounds like the 2716 might have been dead.
    Was there a sticker covering the EPROMs window when you first saw it?

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from Theonlylilo:

I've just purchased from China some new (are they really new? ) 2716 from ST, where the Vpp is clearly written on it: 21V.
    Finger crossed...
    Otherwise, the problem could be "solved" changing the programmer...

Check the date codes on them. They usually say 2012 or something like that. Pretty darn sure STMicro was not making 2716 EPROMs in 2012. Those are remarks and probably burn at 25v. I see them all the time say 21v right on the chip and it isn't correct.

There is also the chance the EPROM itself is bad. I have decently high failure rates using old EPROMs including the ones sold as new from China.

I recommend the GQ-4X with the external power supply. USB interface. Software works in windows 10 and is easy to use. It has burned every EPROM ive needed including 2532s.

#16 8 years ago

ebay.com link: 10pcs AMD 2716 AM2716B UV EPROM 16KBit DIP24

the imprint font and eprom window contents look correct for the AM2716B (12.5v) that i have on hand. use at your own risk shopping components on ebay.

#17 8 years ago

@Quench
    Thanks a lot for the info! I really appreciate it!
    The eeprom is a 2716 with Leon Borré test rom... it has the usual sticker on it. Once removed, it seems to be fine...

@Barakandl
    Now I'm courious to buy & try the Willem GQ-4X you mentioned. I think it is a "Ferrari" for my hobby use, but it seems to be a good product. Why the external ps? Is it for reach the 25V? Do you have any info on it? Because I havn't found info yet... how does it works?

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from Theonlylilo:

Now I'm courious to buy & try the Willem GQ-4X you mentioned. I think it is a "Ferrari" for my hobby use, but it seems to be a good product. Why the external ps? Is it for reach the 25V? Do you have any info on it? Because I havn't found info yet... how does it works?

I have a GQ-4x. You have to attach external power for 25v programming because the USB port can only source 500mA of current which isn't enough for the boost circuit to create the 25v. I've squeaked out a few 21v chips with just USB a few times, but the 25v chips I've always had to connect an ext power supply. I'd have to double check but I believe you connect a 12v source to it.

#19 8 years ago

I've found a webstore here in Italy who sells the programmer and also the AC ext. power supply. Before buying and doing mistakes, I'm asking you if all is correct...
    http://www.ecuvonix.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=alimentatore+9V&x=0&y=0
    What did you do for burn 2532's? An adapter? Could this work fine?
    http://arcadecontrols.com/BBBB/mspacrom.html
    Thanks!
    Ciao

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from Theonlylilo:

What did you do for burn 2532's? An adapter? Could this work fine?

Apparently the GQ-4X directly supports 2532 without the need for an adapter:
    http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/mcumall_TrueUSBWillemsupportICs.asp
    Although it says Read Only for 2532A. Not sure what the story is.

#21 8 years ago

Apparently it doesnt burn 2532A... good thing i have NEVER seen a 2532A. It does 2532 just fine.

#22 8 years ago

Thanks guys! Order made! Willem programmer and external supply...
    I'll keep you informed

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Apparently it doesnt burn 2532A... good thing i have NEVER seen a 2532A. It does 2532 just fine.

I used to see them all the time. Back when it was easy to find 2532s. These are out of my recycle bin - wouldn't program Probably because someone programmed them as a regular 2532.

IMG_9543_(resized).JPGIMG_9543_(resized).JPG

#24 8 years ago

Yestreday is arrived my new Willem programmer. I receveid the latest version, the GQ-4x4 (or GX-4x vers.4)... it has USB 3.0 as main difference.
    I programmed some 2716s, 27C010s and 27c4001s without problems. But I had to sell the MiniPro to have some money back
    In these days I'll do some other tests! Thanks guys!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eeprom-programmer-minipro-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.