• Latest reply 5 years ago by Playdium
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2015-03-07 16.30.42.jpg
pushpull.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schudel5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 9 years ago

I just tore apart my FD drop target assemblies and here are a few tips that may or may not be mentioned.

1. For ease, remove the drop target assembly from the game. This is going to entail desoldering wires to two coils (4 wires), the series switches (3 wires), the 10 point switch behind the bank (2 wires) and series scoring switches (2 wires). Mark the wires before desoldering. The switch that senses the horseshoe is attached with two screws so that comes right off. Be careful as there is a spring steel flap behind.

2. For the 4 yellow cowboy targets, there are 4 wire U-shaped pieces attached to the top of the bank. These are connected to one of the coils on the drop bank that will knock the 4 yellow targets down when you complete both banks and it resets so you can just shoot the black horseshoe targets. If you remove these to clean they are a PITA to get back just right. Too far forward and the yellow drops won't reset properly. Too far back and they won't knock the targets down after you've completed both banks and they reset. Just an FYI as I have to remove one of my banks and adjust 3 of them.

I would highly recommend removing the banks from the game. These GTB drops are very hard to replace in the game with the two springs. I made a spring installation tool from a paperclip and with needle nosed pliers made a small hook on one end. You won't get the springs back on with your fingers.

#16 9 years ago

Yeah that would work too, but I'm a cheap ass bastard.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

also it should be noted there is no need to desolder the coil either, just release it from it's mount...

Yeah I guess I should have mentioned that I was doing a playfield swap and didn't want to drag two 3lb drop banks over to the new pf. I desoldered mine so I could work on the bench, adjust and clean the switches there with the switches on the banks. You can definitely remove the switches and coils from the bank.

2015-03-07 16.30.42.jpg2015-03-07 16.30.42.jpg

#28 9 years ago

It's a Wade Krause playfield that I just finished swapping in last weekend. Had the playfield almost 2 years and finally got around to it.

https://pinballplayfields.wordpress.com/

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

How long did the swap take you? That's one thing I've never done. But if I get this playfield restored I'll be doing one.

I'm going to guess 40 hours. 3 weekends and a few hours each night. Top side tear down was 1/2 hour. Removing staples, screws, assemblies (drop target banks) and cleaning everything is the longest. Moving the wiring harness and reattaching everything just took a weekend. Topside reinstall was a few hours...play testing is still on-going.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schudel5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/educating-a-newbie-drop-target-replacement?tu=schudel5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.