• Latest reply 5 years ago by Playdium
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2015-03-07 16.30.42.jpg
pushpull.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 9 years ago

i'd take it out of the game too... although when i did the one on my jacks open, i unscrewed all the switches from the frame (rather than desoldering them).... dunno if thats an option on fd or not...

Quoted from dasvis:

Given the age, I would strip them down totally, clean & re-assemble with new springs & targets.
Old dried grease needs to be removed & only once they are all apart you can easily see what is worn.
As a total newbie on these, I did all four sets on my High hand & it was no big deal.

yea i'd do the same thing... do it right once, and never worry about it again (other than if you break a target)... i'd also replace any worn triggers as long as it is apart...

although i'll admit it took me a long time to do it... if i had done a better job of following my pictures, it wouldn't have taken as long, because i wouldn't have had to backtrack a few times along the way...

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Not on the bank itself, on the underside of the switch blades where the trigger rides. There will be a black skid mark there.

yea, i use just a tiny amount there... TINY...

i futzed with switch gaps forever trying to get them to drop reliably... a TAD of superlube in that spot did the trick...

#22 9 years ago

also it should be noted there is no need to desolder the coil either, just release it from it's mount...

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Yeah I guess I should have mentioned that I was doing a playfield swap and didn't want to drag two 3lb drop banks over to the new pf. I desoldered mine so I could work on the bench, adjust and clean the switches there with the switches on the banks. You can definitely remove the switches and coils from the bank.
2015-03-07 16.30.42.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

that's understandable... i wouldn't want to do that either...

REAL nice looking pf there...

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

Yes, per what EMsInKC said, consider me somewhat confused.

understandable... here is what i would do if i was you....

important edit: take pictures from every angle every step of the way...

- remove the pf from the game...

- unscrew the switches from the frame... i just wrapped a piece of painters tape around them to keep them together, or you can use nuts, or if you are like dirtflipper and can put together an entire pinball machine blindfolded, just toss them aside...

- release the coil from the frame...

- unscrew the bank from the game, and lift off....

- follow these instructions on how to disassemble and reassemble... replace any triggers that even look like they are worn, they are cheap, and you don't want to do this twice to save a buck... i'd also replace the springs, others will feel differently about this...

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Drop_Targets

do the complete disassembly and clean everything...

- i (and others) apply a tiny amount of superlube to the trigger switch to allow it to glide easier... others feel differently...

- put it back in the machine, re-attach everything, test... adjust switches if needed...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/educating-a-newbie-drop-target-replacement?tu=ccotenj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.